Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJI Mavic Air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

jogdish wrote: »
    I see the Mavic Air fly more combo has a discount on the DJI store, €1172 now €1049

Anyone know how normal that is? I am thinking about buying, but not in any rush and kinda hoping a mavic pro 2, might mean a discount on the air?

Or perhaps I am dreaming - any advice? Wait it out or just buy

At over a grand that's approaching mavic pro budget wise, and from what I've seen so far (in terms of distancfe etc) I'd spend my money on a mavic pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

At over a grand that's approaching mavic pro budget wise, and from what I've seen so far (in terms of distancfe etc) I'd spend my money on a mavic pro.

Indeed, but the air has a better camera bit rate, smaller lighter, better sensors and top speed. Also I would rarely want it out of visual range too much - so hence my interest over the mavic pro. And that price was for the fly more bundle too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The pro is 150 more and the pro paltinum is 450 more. Pro is going to be replaced with a pro 2 any day so not a great buy ATM unless rock bottom price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Rew wrote: »
    The pro is 150 more and the pro paltinum is 450 more. Pro is going to be replaced with a pro 2 any day so not a great buy ATM unless rock bottom price.

It’s down to €999 in a few places from €1199 and a little more off that with a bit of negotiating :)

Homer wrote: »
    It’s down to €999 in a few places from €1199 and a little more off that with a bit of negotiating :)

Yup they are selling them off quick before the 2. 999 less 150 is 849 which is the price of the mavic air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

I bought the Mavic Air recently, so far delighted with it.

I'm blown away by the image and video quality, the 100mbps 4K is crisp!

I've only flown it ~200m so far because I'm terrified to fly it any further :)

ImThatGuy wrote: »
    I bought the Mavic Air recently, so far delighted with it.

I'm blown away by the image and video quality, the 100mbps 4K is crisp!

I've only flown it ~200m so far because I'm terrified to fly it any further :)

Think I am going to purchase in a month or two? Did you get the fly more? How does it handle an average Irish day wind wise? And signal issues? Are you flying in a residential/build up area or open parks? Is it worth the price tag for a non prof. photo person - i.e I enjoy the pretty pictures/and the feel of flying thats about all

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

Think I am going to purchase in a month or two? Did you get the fly more? How does it handle an average Irish day wind wise? And signal issues? Are you flying in a residential/build up area or open parks? Is it worth the price tag for a non prof. photo person - i.e I enjoy the pretty pictures/and the feel of flying thats about all

Didn’t go with the fly more package, I couldn’t justify the extra €200 for it, I’ll probably buy an extra battery and a car charger but aside from that I’ve not needed the extra batteries yet!

Handles very well in Irish weather, surprised by how sturdy it is!

I’ve only flown it to 250m so far at an altitude of 100m (IAA regulations I think) no issues with signal for that, the odd dropped frame in the video feed. You definitely need to face the drone with the controller for a smoother stream.

I tried to do my first flight in Dublin 6 which was a bad idea, didn’t let it pick up GPS signal fully and had the antenna not folded out fully, definitely not recommended and scared me when it was showing a lot of warnings.

I think I’d be much better now!

Since then I’ve flown in parks/country side. Today I flew on the edge of a town and had no problems!

Personally, I think it’s worth it, the pictures and video I’ve got already are class, I’m a bit photography fan and this makes me want to get out and use it all the time because it’s a totally new perspective on stuff.

I think the novelty will wear off but I have a trip planned in the summer that I’ll definitely use this for a lot. Just wish the weather was better!

Have the fly more and have to say it was well worth it. Iv'e used everything but the extra props and id be lost without the extra 2 batteries (thinking ill get a 4th at some point).

Ive clocked up 75 flights, 32,000m total distance and 7 hours of fight time in 3 countries so far. The portability means you can have it with you almost constantly. Things I've leaned:
    • Get a big, fast SD card
    • Never take off without decent GPS signal no matter what
    • Range goes from terrible to fantastic without any obvious reason
    • 4k 100mbit is a nightmare to edit even with top of the range laptop, learn how to use low res proxies
    • It requires a **** tonne of practice to be able to fly well and get nice smooth video
    • Battery life in realworld is about 18mins
    • Handles wind well but if your getting constant yellow bar at the top consider calling it a day
    • You have to practice with all the modes to make the most of it
    • don't do anything with a low battery you haven't already done (ie gain a lot altitude where there might be more wind) so you have battery left to help bring back
    • Don't get tunnel visioned looking at the screen make sure you know whats/whos around the drone esp if low flying
    • Get very familiar with all setting (there are a lot) and make sure the RTH is properly set
    • Know when to disable RTH as signal can be lost very easily even at close range
    • Make sure the RTH altitude is appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Have the fly more and have to say it was well worth it. Iv'e used everything but the extra props and id be lost without the extra 2 batteries (thinking ill get a 4th at some point).

Ive clocked up 75 flights, 32,000m total distance and 7 hours of fight time in 3 countries so far. The portability means you can have it with you almost constantly. Things I've leaned:
    • Get a big, fast SD card
    • Never take off without decent GPS signal no matter what
    • Range goes from terrible to fantastic without any obvious reason
    • 4k 100mbit is a nightmare to edit even with top of the range laptop, learn how to use low res proxies
    • It requires a **** tonne of practice to be able to fly well and get nice smooth video
    • Battery life in practice is about 18mins
    • Handles wind well but if your getting constant yellow bar at the top consider calling it a day
    • You have to practice with all the modes to make the most of it
    • don't do anything with a low battery you haven't already done (ie gain a lot altitude where there might be more wind) so you have battery left to help bring back
    • Don't get tunnel visioned looking at the screen make sure you know whats/whos around the drone esp if low flying
    • Get very familiar with all setting (there are a lot) and make sure the RTH is properly set
    • Know when to disable RTH as signal can be lost very easily even at close range
    • Make sure the RTH altitude is appropriate

Did you try the FCC hack to improve the range and stability of signal?

• Advertisement

kave2 wrote: »

No im on iOS and its messy to hack it.

kave2 wrote: »

Did some reading there and some suggestions that connection between phone and Apple watch might be the culprit. Other recommendation was to redo firmware via DJI Assistant. Ill have to try both.

I have gotten good distance out of it but I've also been surprised I cant get far in other similar areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

No im on iOS and its messy to hack it.

You only have to hack it on android and then when you sign in on ios you will still be hacked as long as you don't accept to change your location back when prompted on startup. It's definitely worth doing....

dsaint1 wrote: »
    You only have to hack it on android and then when you sign in on ios you will still be hacked as long as you don't accept to change your location back when prompted on startup. It's definitely worth doing....

Wow, it makes a HUGE difference!

Wow, it makes a HUGE difference!
    Explain...

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Explain...

If you're in the States (or it thinks you are :) ), it'll transmit at full power which is roughly double what the EU allows - so your range can nearly be doubled in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Hi guys, what is the best price available on this these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Chavways wrote: »
    Hi guys, what is the best price available on this these days?
    900€ Fly more combo on e infinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Geartech

I just got my Mavic Air fly more from Harvey normans for €1049 flys great in the wind but not gone to far with it yet as I'm still learning the ins and outs

Geartech wrote: »
    I just got my Mavic Air fly more from Harvey normans for €1049 flys great in the wind but not gone to far with it yet as I'm still learning the ins and outs

I plan on getting mine soon,

I keep flip flopping between mavic basic and air fly more. How do you find the range, are you in a built up area? are you using the EU radio hack? Any feedback is welcome.

• Advertisement

I keep flip flopping between mavic basic and air fly more. How do you find the range, are you in a built up area? are you using the EU radio hack? Any feedback is welcome.

Im in wexford open country side I have only tried it in beginner mode so 30m max is all it allows at low speed. The weather has not been great for getting out with it. As fly more combo goes its worth it you get 3 batts a charging dock so you can add them all in it you get plenty of extra props and a extra carry bag to keep it all in. I also signed up for the refresh program online with dji for €99

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Do not buy the basic pack....you will be kicking yourself as the battery life isn't great and you will want to fly for more than 15 mins. I hacked mine for longer range and I haven't experienced problems in built up areas.

Im in wexford open country side I have only tried it in beginner mode so 30m max is all it allows at low speed. The weather has not been great for getting out with it. As fly more combo goes its worth it you get 3 batts a charging dock so you can add them all in it you get plenty of extra props and a extra carry bag to keep it all in. I also signed up for the refresh program online with dji for €99
    What does "refresh" get you? I just assumed it was faster turn around under the same warranty?

What does "refresh" get you? I just assumed it was faster turn around under the same warranty?

Yeah faster turn round a friend of mine had it in the uk he crashed it and got water damage they sent him a new unit 2 days after getting his

Yeah faster turn round a friend of mine had it in the uk he crashed it and got water damage they sent him a new unit 2 days after getting his
    without 'refresh' would he have still gotten the replacement, just delayed?

No he wouldn't have gotten it replaced, the care refresh covers accidental damage the normal warranty doesn't.

As Rew said they covered it even after him crashing it

Just another follow up question about the Air and Range.

I would like to use my Air ( if I buy ) to 'explore' around the back garden and the surroundings, say 50-100m out at most. At ground level there are head height hedges, one concrete wall more than head height. Would the signal on the Air be able to coop with these obstructions? I know its WiFi based signal, but Im ( hoping ) its much more reliable than my Internet routers signal ?

Or am I best off getting the Mavic Pro, basic over the Air fly more?

TBH exploring 100m of garden is over kill for a Air let alone a Pro so you will be fine.

• Advertisement

TBH exploring 100m of garden is over kill for a Air let alone a Pro so you will be fine.

Of course, but the garden exploring was more, me learning to control it too. My only concern was does the wifi signal handle brick walls,hedges trees etc?

Advertisement