Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJI Mavic Air

Options
  • 04-02-2018 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I just got notification that my DJP Mavic will be delivered on Monday!:D

Looking forward to it! Anyone else owners of Mavic Airs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Just a Pro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Skittle wrote: »
    I just got notification that my DJP Mavic will be delivered on Monday!:D

Looking forward to it! Anyone else owners of Mavic Airs?

Keep us posted please. I’m about to pull the trigger and buy one but am worried about the range.

Keep us posted please. I’m about to pull the trigger and buy one but am worried about the range.

There are lots of range test videos on YouTube, you'll get around 2k in ideal conditions - which is more than enough :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have one since last week, very happy with it. Video and picture quality is stunning. Build quality is top notch and all the stuff in the fly more is well worth it. I didnt expect this but the bag with the fly more is really nice and fits everything perfectly.

This is default settings straight off the drone

27657609_10156205542728474_2898346044933050877_n.jpg?oh=0366c2eba216c0e3ebd8ba65dde16655&oe=5B0E8C63

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Where did you guys purchase? Directly from DJI?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

jenno86 wrote: »
    Where did you guys purchase? Directly from DJI?

I bought mine through Apple but that was because I got €160 off through a special deal my company has with Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Thinking of buying through DJI as their protection pan for €99 seems good. Or can you add that if you buy from a third party?

Does anyone know where they ship from?

Bought from bricks and mortar Camera Center, though had to preorder/pay a few days in advance. Added DJI care refresh directly from them the day after I first activated the drone (they warn you that your have 48h to buy it if you want it at that point). You simply supply the Serial Number of the drone as part of the purchase process.

DJI ship from outside the EU somewhere but taxes/duites are covered as part of it so you dont get stung for extra. I assume its China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Rew, how far have you flown yours? The spark had loads of range tests online showing huge distances but I only once managed over 100m and even 50m in a wide open field was proving an issue.

• Advertisement

Ryaner wrote: »
    Rew, how far have you flown yours? The spark had loads of range tests online showing huge distances but I only once managed over 100m and even 50m in a wide open field was proving an issue.

I checked my flight logs and I thought I had done 400m but it was only 100+. Might get a chance to fly a bit more this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 niall1411

Hey guys have the mavic air a few days now and gotten a SanDisk ultra sd card but I can't seem to get an option for saving to sd card opposed to ultra card? I have a SanDisk extreme on the way incase that works better?
    Appreciate the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Rew wrote: »
    Have one since last week, very happy with it. Video and picture quality is stunning. Build quality is top notch and all the stuff in the fly more is well worth it. I didnt expect this but the bag with the fly more is really nice and fits everything perfectly.

What range are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Ryaner wrote: »

I had the exact same experience. Most I got was around 300M with the remote, but usually less than that.

niall1411 wrote: »
    Hey guys have the mavic air a few days now and gotten a SanDisk ultra sd card but I can't seem to get an option for saving to sd card opposed to ultra card? I have a SanDisk extreme on the way incase that works better?
    Appreciate the help!!

Open the camera settings (button below the Red record/take photo button)
    Click the Cog
    Scroll down to Storage location

KellyXX wrote: »
    What range are you getting?

I haven't had an opportunity to fly more than a couple of hundred meters to be honest. Flew it yesterday in fairly windy conditions and it preformed well.

FYI If your getting inconsistent firmware warnings its because you need to update the firmware on each one of your batteries.

Rew wrote: »
    FYI If your getting inconsistent firmware warnings its because you need to update the firmware on each one of your batteries.

Expect that if the drone (DJI) is new on the market, things calm down after a few months.

... but it's a good idea to power-on before you leave to make sure everything is up to date! (you can ignore the updates before you fly - put your phone/tablet into flight mode)

theothernt wrote: »
    Expect that if the drone (DJI) is new on the market, things calm down after a few months.

... but it's a good idea to power-on before you leave to make sure everything is up to date! (you can ignore the updates before you fly - put your phone/tablet into flight mode)

Yeah I gathered that alright but the inconsistent firmware thing confused me, didn't realise the batteries had FW as well.

There was a big update for the Air on the 9th of Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi, anyone here swapped from original Phantom 4 to Mavic Air? I'm thinking about selling my P4 and getting Mavic Air.

I'm mainly interested in image quality. From my initial research it seems that MA is as good as P4 or even better.

I love my P4 but it can be quite difficult to travel around. I'm well aware of shorter range and flight time but MA being so small and easy to carry around will make up for those shortcomings.
    Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement

kave2 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone here swapped from original Phantom 4 to Mavic Air? I'm thinking about selling my P4 and getting Mavic Air.

I'm mainly interested in image quality. From my initial research it seems that MA is as good as P4 or even better.

I love my P4 but it can be quite difficult to travel around. I'm well aware of shorter range and flight time but MA being so small and easy to carry around will make up for those shortcomings.
    Thanks a lot.

If it's the Phantom 4 (and not the P4 Pro which has a better sensor), then the Mavic Pro or Air should be the same quality.

The Air does have less colour profiles (just D-Cinelike and Normal) and no Course Lock, btw.

Thanks a lot.

If it's the Phantom 4 (and not the P4 Pro which has a better sensor), then the Mavic Pro or Air should be the same quality.

The Air does have less colour profiles (just D-Cinelike and Normal) and no Course Lock, btw.
    Yes, it's the original Phantom 4. It seems Mavic Air > P4> Mavic Pro, from image
    point of view.
    I use D-Cinelike anyway.
    What kind of range are you getting with MA? Thanks.

Yes, it's the original Phantom 4. It seems Mavic Air > P4> Mavic Pro, from image
    point of view.
    I use D-Cinelike anyway.

It's the same sensor in all 3, but the Mavic Air is the newest so it captures video at a higher bit rate.

The Mavic Air can get around 2km (versus 4km of the Pro) in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

I've only ever owned a tiny, €40 drone, loved flying and taking pics/video.
    I purposely never upgraded, thinking better to spend once on quality and enjoy.

This would be a significant and one time purchase for me. Is it worth it? Am I likely to get bored after a week or two? How does it have in a city back garden with signal interference?
    Anything else I should be aware of.

Btw it's a significant investment, but it's not like I'm going into debt, just want to research it fully before pulling the trigger.

jogdish wrote: »
    I've only ever owned a tiny, €40 drone, loved flying and taking pics/video.
    I purposely never upgraded, thinking better to spend once on quality and enjoy.

This would be a significant and one time purchase for me. Is it worth it? Am I likely to get bored after a week or two? How does it have in a city back garden with signal interference?
    Anything else I should be aware of.

Btw it's a significant investment, but it's not like I'm going into debt, just want to research it fully before pulling the trigger.

I’d imagine you would get board just in a back garden, it needs a bit of space to get the most out of it.

With heavy interference you will get 500m worst case (in my experience).

It’s fairly noisy so if you fly a lot in one area expect people to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Guys, how good is the Mavic Air in wind? I got the Mavic Air over a month ago and I haven't had a chance to take her up as I'm worried about how the little drone will handle the wind. What wind strength is too strong?

Skittle wrote: »
    Guys, how good is the Mavic Air in wind? I got the Mavic Air over a month ago and I haven't had a chance to take her up as I'm worried about how the little drone will handle the wind. What wind strength is too strong?

Ive used it in windy conditions and its fine, if the wind is too strong it will max out the motor speed and it drift with the wind but you can still land it. There are a good few vids of people putting it to a serious test and it is well able for it but I have also seen one vid where it was too much and he had to land it away from him and go after it.

The difficulty I have is judging whats too much so I didn't fly it much over the weekend till the wind had died down, which is a pity as I didn't get any snow shots. Apparently it handles wind better then bigger DJI drones as its weight to power ratio is higher and its surface area is lower.

point of view.
    I use D-Cinelike anyway.

It's the same sensor in all 3, but the Mavic Air is the newest so it captures video at a higher bit rate.

The Mavic Air can get around 2km (versus 4km of the Pro) in Europe.

Did you actually got the 2km range?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

I see the Mavic Air fly more combo has a discount on the DJI store, €1172 now €1049

Anyone know how normal that is? I am thinking about buying, but not in any rush and kinda hoping a mavic pro 2, might mean a discount on the air?

Or perhaps I am dreaming - any advice? Wait it out or just buy

• Advertisement

jogdish wrote: »
    I see the Mavic Air fly more combo has a discount on the DJI store, €1172 now €1049

Anyone know how normal that is? I am thinking about buying, but not in any rush and kinda hoping a mavic pro 2, might mean a discount on the air?

Or perhaps I am dreaming - any advice? Wait it out or just buy

€1050 was always the price, I think the 1172 refers to how much it would be to buy all the stuff in the fly more separately. Doubt they will discount the mavic air anytime spoon. mavic 2 fly more will be 1500 id say.

Advertisement