Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rivers and lakes where swimming is allowed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 slowswimmer

Lough lene at Collinstown Westmeath, one of the best in Ireland, clean clear water safe access sandy bottom, suitable for kids,, under supervision of course. lough Owed is also good and council have recently replaced the jetty and diving platform there

Both lakes and facilities not guarded but water quality etc monitored.by council
    .also they get warmer than the sea come.July

Lough lene at Collinstown Westmeath, one of the best in Ireland, clean clear water safe access sandy bottom, suitable for kids,, under supervision of course. lough Owed is also good and council have recently replaced the jetty and diving platform there

Both lakes and facilities not guarded but water quality etc monitored.by council
    .also they get warmer than the sea come.July

Lough Owel I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 1 true2007go

Hi all! People, what's wrong with all of you?! What safety?
    When i was growing up my parents tought me: do not do anything you do not now how to! If someone does something you do have to do the same! If he/she jumps to the fire, will anyone follow?! I could bet, nobody would! The same applies to a swimming: do not know how to - do not do it!

Life guard is required only for the business insurance and reassurance - all goes as smoth as possible!
    I grew up swimming in so many different places... And before diving in always assessed the pond, lake or river... And then i would have it to the full! But that is me!
    Seems like nowadays people are like sheeps - they need a Shepherd to guide them!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

true2007go wrote: »
    Hi all! People, what's wrong with all of you?! What safety?
    When i was growing up my parents tought me: do not do anything you do not now how to! If someone does something you do have to do the same! If he/she jumps to the fire, will anyone follow?! I could bet, nobody would! The same applies to a swimming: do not know how to - do not do it!

Life guard is required only for the business insurance and reassurance - all goes as smoth as possible!
    I grew up swimming in so many different places... And before diving in always assessed the pond, lake or river... And then i would have it to the full! But that is me!
    Seems like nowadays people like sheeps - they need a Shepherd to guide them!

That was definitely worth setting up an account for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

try Graiguenamanagh on the Barrow; two sites for jumping and two diving boards, lifeguards during the summer.When you go to the bridge, go upriver about a hundred yards, either side of the bank, for safe swimming sites and there is also a shallow, netted-off area for small kids further up on the left side, very near the lifeguard hut.....there is also a club with a river-water swimming pool at Borris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

Does anyone know what the current status of the Costa del Sod is? http://www.outdoorswimming.ie/Co/Laois/portarlington.html

Anyone aware of any good outdoor swimming locations in and around County Laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Thought I'd ask here and see. Does anyone swim in Malahide Estuary? On the more inland side of the railway bridge? Or is it too polluted. There are a few sailing clubs on it and I've seen it used for windsurfing and kayaking but never anyone swimming in it.

Don't know of anyone swimming in the estuary at Malahide . If you want to swim in Malahide go to low rock a small beach out on the Portmarnock road. Usually other swimmers there all year around. Don't get in the estuary please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Had no plans to, was just curious if there was any reasons, know low rock and high rock are very popular so was just wondering if there was any reason in particular people don't swim in the estuary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement