Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rivers and lakes where swimming is allowed.

Options
  • 29-05-2009 7:49pm

Hi all, Ive been wracking my brains for somewhere to go tommorow.
    I dont want the beach. Id like to go to a lake but but all the ones in Wicklow and Laois and westmeath seem to ban it.
    Can any boardsie think of somewhere nice, buy a river or lake. Im in Lucan area, but will travel out obviously :)
    I really fancied wicklow but most sites say its banned.
    Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

You can swim in all the same places our ancestors swam in. Ignore the bores and their laws. If they try and stop ya give em a good soaking and swim off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.
    Any posters redirected from AH please read the charter before posting here.
    Mods apologies if this is the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It's fine here Dr.B.

Mostly, when swimming is banned there is a good reason for it, mostly safety. If you contact someone from http://www.swimleinster.com/contacts.htm they should be able to give you some locations.

It's fine here Dr.B.

Mostly, when swimming is banned there is a good reason for it, mostly safety. If you contact someone from http://www.swimleinster.com/contacts.htm they should be able to give you some locations.

Thanks for the site, Ill check it out.
    njoy the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

It's fine here Dr.B.

Safety for who? Its a blanket rule that applies to non swimmers and olympian alike and is in place for everywhere which doesn't have a lifeguard.

• Advertisement

Sorry Shane, I don't understand the point you're trying to make?

Sorry Shane, I don't understand the point you're trying to make?

I mean even though swimming is banned because of safety, it is usually perfectly safe for someone who knows what they are doing. Or at least as safe as crossing the road, which is where I would draw a comparison when someone tells me something is unsafe (e.g. air travel, motorcycling, adventure sports etc)

yes but
    1. Olympians are often crap at OW swimming, it's a very different skill to pool swimming.
    2. Monkey see-monkey do, if a non-competent swimmer sees someone swimming in a lake, river or sea, they may well decide to give it a go and get into trouble. I'm not sure who has legal responsibility, the owner of the water, the original swimmer of the non-swimmer but it's a situation I would rather avoid.

For example, my OH is a very competitent OW swimmer, he has been around water his entire life, has swum the English Channel etc. I don't think he would go swimming in water he didn't know without safety or local knowledge.

Unfortunately, swimming can have tragic consequences if people are not safe
    e.g. today;s breaking news
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/young-man-dies-in-tyrone-swimming-tragedy-413187.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

1. Avoid rivers, unless you know exactly what you are doing and where you are, there will be a current, there can be eddies and undertows, not to mention rocks and debris in the water.
    2. There is no shortage of good lakes to swim in within a 45 min drive of Lucan, Try Lough Owel, about 3km the far side of Mullingar, just off the N4, or Lough Ennell (Lilliput) between Mullingar and Kilbeggan. For a bit of Blue flag magic head to the cut at Lough Lene, in Collinstown, a bit off the main roads, but worth the trip, There are others, but those are some of the more popular ones in the midlands, and all 3 are perfectly safe. Lough Owel has a diving board, Lilliput has an adventure centre and pitch and putt course adjacent, and Lough Lene has clear clean water, a jetty, changing rooms and a sandy strand. Take your pick, but please don't get in a river.

1. Avoid rivers, unless you know exactly what you are doing and where you are, there will be a current, there can be eddies and undertows, not to mention rocks and debris in the water.
    2. There is no shortage of good lakes to swim in within a 45 min drive of Lucan, Try Lough Owel, about 3km the far side of Mullingar, just off the N4, or Lough Ennell (Lilliput) between Mullingar and Kilbeggan. For a bit of Blue flag magic head to the cut at Lough Lene, in Collinstown, a bit off the main roads, but worth the trip, There are others, but those are some of the more popular ones in the midlands, and all 3 are perfectly safe. Lough Owel has a diving board, Lilliput has an adventure centre and pitch and putt course adjacent, and Lough Lene has clear clean water, a jetty, changing rooms and a sandy strand. Take your pick, but please don't get in a river.

Hey thanks, thats great info. I really just want to dip my feet and look at water, not swim any great amount.
    Thanks guys.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

yes but
    1. Olympians are often crap at OW swimming, it's a very different skill to pool swimming.

Unless they happen to be Open-water Olympians of course;)

I did think about that when I wrote the post but it seemed a bit like hard work to include "(except of course OW olympians as this event was recently introduced)"

yes but
    2. Monkey see-monkey do, if a non-competent swimmer sees someone swimming in a lake, river or sea, they may well decide to give it a go and get into trouble. I'm not sure who has legal responsibility, the owner of the water, the original swimmer of the non-swimmer but it's a situation I would rather avoid.

For example, my OH is a very competitent OW swimmer, he has been around water his entire life, has swum the English Channel etc. I don't think he would go swimming in water he didn't know without safety or local knowledge.

Unfortunately, swimming can have tragic consequences if people are not safe
    e.g. today;s breaking news
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/young-man-dies-in-tyrone-swimming-tragedy-413187.html

The point I was trying to make (be it not not too clearly) was swim within your limits:
    1. Yes an olympian may be crap at OW swimming but I bet your average medallist could struggle against a current long enough to find the best way out.
    2. I will never take responsibility for someone getting in trouble while copying me. If that were the case I could never practice any of the things I have put hundreds of hours into training to do safely.

Also, I would say there are many rivers (and possibly some lakes) which are beyond everyones limits. You have to make an educated assessment but don't necessarily count a spot out because it hasn't been rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Chipping in my 2 cents worth here as a keen fan of open swimming;
    we always swam in rivers as kids...its quite true, you DO need to have local or traditional knowledhe so as not to get into trouble; but IF you do have that knowledge, then plenty of old-fashiooned harmless fun can be had...

Cloughleagh: between Manor Kilbride and the Sally Gap: you have to scramble down along a mountain stream (the shankill river) to reach a wonderful safe pool in the young Liffey.

Victoria bridge: near naas, on the road to Newbridge: just beside a Mill; a millrace stream and great swimming water for the experienced.

Grand canal in the midlands: NOT NEAR A LOCK!!! otherwise, clean as a whistle and fine to swim, just about anywhere thats not too weedy.

Kings River, Co Wicklow: where it curves around towards Valleymount, a hundred yards north of where the Hollywood Rd crosses by a bridge. (west bank)

There are lots more but you DO need to know what you are doing...and I am compiling a list and always open to offers!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I do sea and OW swimming a few times a year and I would recommend the Midlands lakes of Lough Ennel and Lough Owel. I would be very wary of rivers because as other posters pointed out - there can be dangerous currents, eddies and undertows. I'd also avoid the Blessington lakes because even though they are very appealing bodies of water, they are a large reservoir with numerous hazards underwater.

Enjoy your swim!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 revontulet

hi, can anyone recommend a nice lake that is suitable for swimming around Sligo or Leitrim? the lakes around here all seem very clean, but I never see anyone swimming in them nor have I found any beaches or areas where it is easy access. is swimming allowed in the lakes around here?

I don't think swimming in lakes is dangerous. I think it's much safer than swimming in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Just tried Lough Owel last week and it's fantastic. Better than any swimming pool.
    We walk the mountains and what about having a dip (to cool off) in the lakes there such as Art's Lough and Kelly's lough.
    Are these dangerous and even allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

South Tipperary CoCo are suggesting that the Suir is not suitable for swimming but i've been in a couple of times this year and i think it is a great location

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

revontulet wrote: »
    hi, can anyone recommend a nice lake that is suitable for swimming around Sligo or Leitrim? the lakes around here all seem very clean, but I never see anyone swimming in them nor have I found any beaches or areas where it is easy access. is swimming allowed in the lakes around here?

I don't think swimming in lakes is dangerous. I think it's much safer than swimming in the sea.

Doon shore Lough key, and Lough key at the the forest park, lough key triathlon club swim at the forest park. Check out their club forum for info, i would forward a link but im on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Hi all,

Just wondering about recommendations for Lough Ennel in Westmeath. Does this lake not contain some sort of toxic algae, that was the reason I was given for swimming not being recommended there last year. Or does it only happen occasionally?

• Advertisement

To any reader thats on facebook - (and i bet most of us are)
    There is a"wild swimming" group it is called "Wild swimming - Ireland"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/128857020496/
    where they have been posting updates and reports on all sorts of locations for the past couple of months. Many are in the open sea and thats too advanced for me! (i'm not about to swim alonng the roughest coasts)
    but many are also reports on inland spots that are less well known and are here reported by genuine fans of open swimming who DO know what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

bheart65 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering about recommendations for Lough Ennel in Westmeath. Does this lake not contain some sort of toxic algae, that was the reason I was given for swimming not being recommended there last year. Or does it only happen occasionally?

lough ennell also receives the run off from the towns sewage and local septic tanks

Lough owel is much cleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Its just typical Ireland.
    Ive a campervan cos I love the outdoors & camping in Ireland.
    Once as I bought the van, I realised how few places I can stay in it (unless I pay in a campsite, which are only open a few months of the year).

I was gonna buy a jet ski a few years back, but they are banned everywhere.
    Now Im searching for somewhere that I can pull up at, throw on a wetsuit and bring the dog for a swim, & again its banned in most places.

Discover Ireland adverts make Ireland look like a giant playground for fans of the great outdoors, but its just a nanny state where were not allowed do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

This looks like an old post, but is brilliant information to have summarised. Thanks very much, I will be checking out these places, shame the winter is coming tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 quntumneles

Hi there!
    as u all probably know, to swim in some places, like Irish Sea is not safe due to radioactivity ( the waste from all nuclear plants from uk, was dumped here, the active plants use water from the sea to cool the reactors), and in some lakes I see that swimming is banned not cose is dangerous, but the water either is to high in copper, or fe, or god knows!
    Now, I would like to know, if any of u do know a pristine lake where I can swim?
    I will pray for that person!
    Tks!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Mullingar has a good few lakes, you're allowed swim in most of them. Check out Belvedere House on Loch Ennell, they even have a jetty you can jump off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 quntumneles

thank you very much! MUCH APPRECIATED!

Lough Melvin in Nth Co Leitrim is so clean, they use it for swimming lessons. Also in Co Leitrim, Gulladoo.
    Lough Lene has, or lately had, a Blue Flag, which means they test the water regularly...
    I've swum at all these and never came to any harm: and people I know who swim at Seapoint in Dublin every day of the year, for decades, come to no harm either!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

What's the deal with swimming in Blessington lakes?
    Do people swim there?
    Is it prohibited?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

It's prohibited.. ESB try their best to enforce the ban. Unfortunately someone drowned there over the weekend.

Advertisement