Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Gerard McSorley completed dropped off the screen. He was a great actor. Was only watching some old youtube clips of Father Ted last night and noticed I havent seen him on anything recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Last I heard of him ^^^
    From the Indo Jan 1920
    Fr Ted star Gerard McSorley appears in court after row at Donegal housing shelter
    Gerard McSorley played Fr Todd Unctious in Father Ted.

January 17 2020 06:58 PM
    Fr Ted actor Gerard McSorley has appeared in court again after trying to enter sheltered accommodation which he had been evicted from.

McSorley (70) appeared at Letterkenny District Court where he was charged with threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour.

The court heard that on November 11 last he arrived at Trinity Court sheltered accommodation in Newtowncunningham.

Mr McSorley had just been evicted from the premises some time earlier and had been told by staff that he was not welcome there again.

Staff at the centre said they would provide the actor with the money for a taxi to take him to his previous home in Gaoth Dobhair in West Donegal.

However, Garda Sgt Gerard Dalton told the court that Mr McSorley said that under no circumstances would he be returning to Gaoth Dobhair.

Gardai were called and Mr McSorley began to raise his voice and was arrested and brought to Letterkenny Garda station.

Mr McSorley's solicitor, Mr Kieran O'Gorman said that his client was very apologetic for what had happened.

Judge Paul Kelly asked Mr O'Gorman if the actor had now found accommodation and was told he has.

Judge Kelly added: "Tensions were a bit high on the night so I will apply the Probation Act."

Although originally from Omagh, McSorley has lived in Co Donegal for many years.

He has starred in a number of films including Veronica Guerin, Braveheart, Michael Collins, Angela's Ashes and the infamous Fr Ted series, where he played Fr Todd Unctious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Gerard McSorley completed dropped off the screen. He was a great actor. Was only watching some old youtube clips of Father Ted last night and noticed I havent seen him on anything recently.

Wandering over past a derelict Seaview with mask on chin about 2 weeks ago, he's back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Last I heard of him ^^^
    (Edited for brevity)

Poor fella couldn't pay a 150 euro fine, and that was before the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Is Finbar Wright still around?

• Advertisement

Is that Damo and Ivor twerp gone for good?

Andy Quirke, aka a guy who was horribly unfunny, but his dad was loaded-so it didn't matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

KKkitty wrote: »
    Is Finbar Wright still around?

Presume he's still going but I think his profile peaked sometime circa mid 00s.

That reminds me, dont hear much about Ronan Tynan these days, the Singing Doctor as he was known when he first emerged in the early 90s. He was doing well enough for himself in the States in recent years but he got in hot water about a fairy innocuous jokey remark about elderly Jewish ladies.

Presume he's still going but I think his profile peaked sometime circa mid 00s.

That reminds me, dont hear much about Ronan Tynan these days, the Singing Doctor as he was known when he first emerged in the early 90s. He was doing well enough for himself in the States in recent years but he got in hot water about a fairy innocuous jokey remark about elderly Jewish ladies.

He sang at George Bush Sr's funeral. Apparently makes a lot of appearances on the EWTN network.

He recovered after the bru-ha-ha. But admits the 'internet won't let him forget'.

(Fair warning-article's written by Niamh Horan).

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/someone-tried-to-run-me-over-with-an-suv-says-tenor-ronan-tynan-38720653.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

He sang at George Bush Sr's funeral. Apparently makes a lot of appearances on the EWTN network.

He recovered after the bru-ha-ha. But admits the 'internet won't let him forget'.

(Fair warning-article's written by Niamh Horan).

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/someone-tried-to-run-me-over-with-an-suv-says-tenor-ronan-tynan-38720653.html

Dr. Ronan Tynan's vaccinating currently; working in Cillin/Cilin Hill (Kilkenny) but is a regular contributor to local radio station KCLR too (relatively speaking) and would be a local dahling too; rightly so; the joke he made is more proof of insidiousness of social media pile-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I see Jonathan Rhys Meyers is back working, lot of "in post production movie" credits after a gap of a couple of years.
    They seem to be mostly B movie fare so maybe not back in the spotlight again just yet :)
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001667/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Robert Arkins aka Jimmy Rabbitte popped up in that retrospective documentary of the Commitments. I was surprised he did it as he seemed to stay out of the limelight after the movie itself, his IMDB page only lists 5 acting credits over the last 30 years. Im surprised he didnt have more given how good he was in the Commitments but maybe he didnt enjoy acting or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

He was a musician, ironically.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I see Jonathan Rhys Meyers is back working, lot of "in post production movie" credits after a gap of a couple of years.
    They seem to be mostly B movie fare so maybe not back in the spotlight again just yet :)

He's getting roles. But nothing significant.

Most of his stuff his wife is producing.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Robert Arkins aka Jimmy Rabbitte popped up in that retrospective documentary of the Commitments. I was surprised he did it as he seemed to stay out of the limelight after the movie itself, his IMDB page only lists 5 acting credits over the last 30 years. Im surprised he didnt have more given how good he was in the Commitments but maybe he didnt enjoy acting or something?

Apparently he did quite a bit of behind the scenes music composing. Probably didn't make a lot of money, but comfortable, I guess.
    Technically not the 'richest' member of the cast. The Pool hall manager, aka the guy who gives them a place to practise and work on their act, is probably the most financially successful member of the cast.
    He wrote the theme tune for Spongebob Squarepants. With royalties, and the show going into repeats, he's probably raking it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Technically not the 'richest' member of the cast. The Pool hall manager, aka the guy who gives them a place to practise and work on their act, is probably the most financially successful member of the cast.
    He wrote the theme tune for Spongebob Squarepants. With royalties, and the show going into repeats, he's probably raking it in.
    That's mad. Is he Irish?

Looks like the Commitments was his only acting gig. How do you end up going from the Commitments to writing Spongebob?

That's mad. Is he Irish?

Looks like the Commitments was his only acting gig. How do you end up going from the Commitments to writing Spongebob?

Yep. Blaise Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I went to school with Ronan, glad to hear he's doing well. Didn't deserve the abuse he got in NY.

Anyone remember a girlband called Back Alley? Circa turn of the Millenium. I say girlband but they looked a bit long in the tooth. I remember seeing posters of them around at the time.

Had to google them.

I vaguely remember them... but I may have them mixed up with some other 'band'. (Everyone and their cousin were trying to be in a 'band' in the 90s, and the 00s, and even fairly recently. ).

They had a documentary? It gets reviewed here. I get the feeling one or two of em were lying about their age. One was saying she was 27, but she was married with 2 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ridiculous name who ever came up with it, was it Louis I wonder🤔??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wasnt there some controversy over them - can’t remember the entire story. something about Hector (I think?) making insulting comments about their name in Reynards one night and Ray shah and him kicked off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Looking back, It quite possibly was a manufactured media stunt to get them into the papers

Funnily enough, no. They were a bit too... 'rough' for the likes of Louis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Different strokes for different folks.

Louis did put three lads into Six, who couldn't sing for sh1te.

I'd doubt that. Ray (according to google) wasn't on Big Brother until 2004. I'd say Back alley were long gone by then. Probably some other girl band caused a fight.

Louis would just copy and paste 'stunts' to get his acts in the paper. Like one time, he tried to start a 'Samantha Mumba had a boob job' similar to Britney Spears and her boob job news making headline (didn't work, I think it got a tiny column in the Sunday World-didn't even make the entertainment section).

Another time (and I only learned this from a Bianca Luykx interview with Peter Andre) Louis planted a story that Stephen Gately from Boyzone was dating/engaged to another Louis Walsh act, Kerri Ann. (Kerri Ann was working as Peter Andre's hairdresser during his post 'I'm a Celeb', romancing Jordan aka Katie Price 'revival'). Obviously, that never happened either.

Was googling 'girl-bands'... might have been Saffyre that had the kerfuffle? (God, there were so many girl bands).

Yeah, but Louis tended not to work with anyone over 21. He liked his acts to be 'vanilla', and he couldn't market this kind of band. He tried to sign up Bellefire, but they flopped and he blamed the record label.

I'd say this bunch deffo weren't a Louis act, they looked like they'd beat the crap out of Bellefire and Bewitched (and Boyzone probably).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Pat O' Mahony. He was everywhere on Irish TV back in the early 90s.

Kara Hanahoe.

I remember Pat O Mahony from his Head To Toe days but had to Google Kara Hanahoe. Dont think I'd be able to pick her out of an identity parade but one of the things coming up in the search is that gawdawful RTE "comedy" This Is Nightlive.

Wasn't Pat on the Irish First Dates? It was in 2019, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

She was also a presenter on The End near the end of the show's run, but I can't really say if she was there week to week or just standing in for one of the regulars.

• Advertisement

Fergus the astrologer, once a mainstay of RTE daytime TV.

Advertisement