Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

No chance of Ju Ju back unless he wants 2.5M this year. Steelers cap is depleted now to near that

They have lots of options to clear cap space, extensions / restructures with Tuitt, Haden, Nelson, Boswell and Decastro could create nearly $25m.

I’m surprised they didn’t already do some of the above and try to keep some of those guys. I’ll be interested to see what their endgame is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ju-Ju coming back on a 1 year deal, can only see that as a positive to be honest. Good player who bleeds yellow & black.

Stephen Nelson seeking a trade isn’t a plus but was inevitable to be honest.

Very sad to see Mike Hilton depart, a balls out player who gave everything when he stepped onto the field of play but again an obvious departure due to the cap issue.

I think they probably tried to extend / restructure Nelson and he said no thanks to whatever they offered, which is understandable. May as well try to get something for him now if you can, they’ll probably end up having to cut him though.

Nice to see juju back, debatable if it’s the best use of $8m given the situation they are in tbh, but I’m glad he will be on the team.

Will definitely miss Hilton, he is some competitor for his size

I think they probably tried to extend / restructure Nelson and he said no thanks to whatever they offered, which is understandable. May as well try to get something for him now if you can, they’ll probably end up having to cut him though.

Nice to see juju back, debatable if it’s the best use of $8m given the situation they are in tbh, but I’m glad he will be on the team.

Will definitely miss Hilton, he is some competitor for his size

Ju-Ju is 24, he’s another Hines Ward in the making? 8 million over 1 year is not bad business for a player of his caliber.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Ju-Ju is 24, he’s another Hines Ward in the making? 8 million over 1 year is not bad business for a player of his caliber.

I see they have added fake years to get the charge down to $2.4m. I thought they might

Yeah I’m glad he is back. Takes the pressure off them trying to find another receiver in the draft again.

• Advertisement

James Conner gone to Cardinals on a 1 year deal. If his durability wasn’t in doubt am sure he’d have stayed in Pittsburgh. A determined young man I’d like to see do well.

OOnegative wrote: »
    James Conner gone to Cardinals on a 1 year deal. If his durability wasn’t in doubt am sure he’d have stayed in Pittsburgh. A determined young man I’d like to see do well.

Yeah a great guy and a good player. Best of luck to him in Arizona, pity how everything went for him with all those injuries during his time with the Steelers. I also felt the run blocking made his life pretty difficult in recent seasons.

Steelers will surely take a running back with one of the first two picks in the draft. Their backfield group is probably the worst in the league now. Conner wasn’t great, but he was easily the best they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mike Tomlin has signed a three year contract extension which is probably the least surprising move made by any team given the Steelers are on their third HC since 1969. I’m not aware of any reasons why the Steelers would not continue on as before.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mike Tomlin has signed a three year contract extension which is probably the least surprising move made by any team given the Steelers are on their third HC since 1969. I’m not aware of any reasons why the Steelers would not continue on as before.

Yes this has been in the offing for a while. Interesting times ahead for the team now. They’re entering a big rebuild with Ben and several other stalwarts coming to the end. I’m glad Tomlin is staying on but they need a couple of good drafts in the coming years or they could be left behind in a strong division.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Running back, O-Line or QB with first pick? Harris, Dickerson or maybe Fields if the unlikely happens and he drops far enough down.

• Advertisement

Running back, O-Line or QB with first pick? Harris, Dickerson or maybe Fields if the unlikely happens and he drops far enough down.

Harris in the end. He is an exciting player and should be a huge improvement over Conner but I can’t help feeling it’s a little ‘cart before the horse’. They really need to upgrade the offensive line as well as you pointed out.

Hopefully they come away with a few guys that can contribute early throughout the rest of the draft. They can’t go wrong in terms of position because they need everything really, Oline, OLB, ILB, TE, CB etc

Dickerson gone early. Have to hope Creed Humphrey stays on the board otherwise will they go TE?

Dickerson gone early. Have to hope Creed Humphrey stays on the board otherwise will they go TE?

Humphrey is the obvious pick if he is there. They have scouted Asante Samuel extensively, don’t be surprised if they take him either.

Edit: Samuel just gone to the Chargers

Humphrey is the obvious pick if he is there. They have scouted Asante Samuel extensively, don’t be surprised if they take him either.

Edit: Samuel just gone to the Chargers

Seems Owusu Koramoah might be in play if Creed goes before 55.

Seems Owusu Koramoah might be in play if Creed goes before 55.

There are plenty of good players there and they have a great record on the second round. JOK is a great prospect by all accounts. I’d prefer to go OLine though

You staying up for the third?

There are plenty of good players there and they have a great record on the second round. JOK is a great prospect by all accounts. I’d prefer to go OLine though

You staying up for the third?

I'm not sure I'm staying up for the 2nd.

I do hope the go O Line but they tend to go best player available and that may sway to JOK.

I'm not sure I'm staying up for the 2nd.

I do hope the go O Line but they tend to go best player available and that may sway to JOK.

True. They got Dotson in the fourth last year, they may not need high picks on the OLine, IDK

JOK with Bush coming back as well solves the linebacker position for the foreseeable future. They could go any number of ways

Predicting JOK to Cleveland here

Predicting JOK to Cleveland here

JOK to the Browns. Hope it's Creed now. Otherwise it Meinerz or Freiermuth

JOK to the Browns. Hope it's Creed now. Otherwise it Meinerz or Freiermuth

Yeah I think it’ll be one of those too, don’t discount a CB though

• Advertisement

It's Freiermuth. I'm off to bed. If they don't sort that O Line soon it'll be another disappointing season.

It's Freiermuth. I'm off to bed. If they don't sort that O Line soon it'll be another disappointing season.

I’d be stunned if they don’t take a Center next. I don’t think the rest of the line is as bad as some are making out. Banner and Okarafor are average Tackles and Dotson / DeCastro could be a good Guard pairing if they’re healthy.

The two guys they have taken will help the offence a lot hopefully.

I trust them to build the roster up, they are as good as nearly anybody at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

I called the 1st and 2nd picks yesterday after a good chat with my father. He wanted creed humphey in 2nd and i thought josh meyers would fall to 3rd. Kendrick green in the 3rd is a great pick and my favourite he's been in my mocks from day 1, he's quick as hell.

I called the 1st and 2nd picks yesterday after a good chat with my father. He wanted creed humphey in 2nd and i thought josh meyers would fall to 3rd. Kendrick green in the 3rd is a great pick and my favourite he's been in my mocks from day 1, he's quick as hell.

I wonder when is the last time they spent their first three picks on offence? OLine is never a bad pick but I’m surprised they went TE in the second.

They’ve gotta go for depth on defence today. They’ve lost some very good players there

Looking at some of the Kendrick stuff and he just seems mean which is exactly what that O Line needs.

Looks like the starting OLine is

Chuks LT, Dotson LG, Greene / Finney C, Decastro RG, Banner RT

They have a new OLine coach and a new offensive coordinator, the line is definitely an open question but they’re stacked at the skill positions so hopefully the offence can take a step forward, so much depends on Ben of course.

PFF and some of the other analysts are absolutely slating the Steelers offseason and draft. I get it, but I wouldn’t be writing them off either. I can definitely see a path to where they are better than many think if they stay healthy. Tough division though

I think the Steelers first three in the draft can make early season marks and look to get some decent reps.
    I'm not so sure on Moore but it looks like Johnson will be on special teams if he can impress.
    That's not a bad return if it pans out but it doesn't sort out the issues that were pointed out pre draft and the pundits will be critical for that point alone.

They’ve released David DeCastro, fantastic player over the years but I kind of saw it coming, he has been falling off and dealing with a series of injuries for two years, which wouldn’t be so bad if he wasn’t one of the highest paid guards in the league. He sat out minicamp recently because of another injury. This will save them $8.75m in cap space. Presumably he will retire but if he wants another job I’ve no doubt he will get one, but not at that money.

They had Trai Turner in for a visit last week, not sure if they’ll sign him but they must have something lined up. They could potentially have a new starter at every single spot along the OLine now, along with a whole new position staff. This could be a total disaster of a season.

Well folks, football is back , even though it’s a trip to Buffalo and a likely L to start us off

I am not overly hopeful for this evening. They will need to win the turnover battle and get a bit of luck, but week one always has some strange results so I won’t rule anything out

What are the thoughts for the season ahead? I think this is the year the Browns win the Division but I still expect the Steelers to be competitive. Ravens are having a bad run of injuries but they will undoubtedly figure it out. It’s a very tough Division as usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Great sack by Watt and forced fumble recovery by Heyward

Advertisement