Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Seeing there’s a few of us active at the moment:

Super Bowl run or wild card knockout?

I think if we can get the offense to motor like yesterday’s second half we at least have a possibility of making it to Arrowhead for the AFC championship game. Despite the players we’ve lost on defense, it’s still operating at a SB level or very close to it. Hilton was all over the place yesterday as was Williamson who has been a decent pick up for little cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

If they can carry yesterday’s momentum forward and get the offence rolling they will be competitive in the playoffs I hope. I don’t think they will beat the Chiefs however, and I would be extremely nervous about seeing the Ravens again also, they seem to be over their injury and Covid issues and are looking strong. Bills would also be a very tough matchup. They’d need to play well for four quarters and not just a spot here and there to beat any of the above, we haven’t seen that yet this season. The margin for error is going to be much smaller going forward. The second half yesterday was promising but they need to sustain it.

The injuries on defence have been detrimental, they had a potentially historic defence at the start of the season but losing blue chip players has made them vulnerable. They have been getting killed with the short stuff to running backs with no Bush there to stop it, Mckissic against Washington, Hines yesterday etc, giving up easy first downs. The pass rush and run defence is also much less formidable without Bud. Highsmith will be a good player but he is not Bud Dupree. I don’t trust this defence to get the stops when needed the way they were doing earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If they can carry yesterday’s momentum forward and get the offence rolling they will be competitive in the playoffs I hope. I don’t think they will beat the Chiefs however, and I would be extremely nervous about seeing the Ravens again also, they seem to be over their injury and Covid issues and are looking strong. Bills would also be a very tough matchup. They’d need to play well for four quarters and not just a spot here and there to beat any of the above, we haven’t seen that yet this season. The margin for error is going to be much smaller going forward. The second half yesterday was promising but they need to sustain it.

The injuries on defence have been detrimental, they had a potentially historic defence at the start of the season but losing blue chip players has made them vulnerable. They have been getting killed with the short stuff to running backs with no Bush there to stop it, Mckissic against Washington, Hines yesterday etc, giving up easy first downs. The pass rush and run defence is also much less formidable without Bud. Highsmith will be a good player but he is not Bud Dupree. I don’t trust this defence to get the stops when needed the way they were doing earlier in the season.

But when the **** hit the fan yesterday who won the game last night, the defense. If there was any bit of confidence in the offense they would have gone for that 4&1. I think the Bills maybe a bust in the playoffs this year, young and naive possibly.

OOnegative wrote: »
    But when the **** hit the fan yesterday who won the game last night, the defense. If there was any bit of confidence in the offense they would have gone for that 4&1. I think the Bills maybe a bust in the playoffs this year, young and naive possibly.

The defence is still very very good, but they are a bit diminished is all I’m saying. They were frightening earlier in the season and had no obvious weakness. There are things that teams can expose now with all the injuries.

I think they’ll be in every game, nobody is going to blow them out in January but I think the divisional round is probably where it ends for them if I had to make a prediction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Confirmed Rudolph to start so 12-4 is the likely end result for the season. This is a chance to eliminate the Browns. As it stands they are due to play Baltimore in Pittsburgh in the Wild Card. That went wrong a few years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

If we lose to the browns its almost certain we meet them in the playoffs unless ravens lose aswell, we meet them instead.

I think the Steelers seeding is dependent on the result of Buffalo @Miami as well. Buffalo will likely rest everyone there too.

We will be playing Baltimore, Cleveland or Indianapolis depending on how multiple games go at the weekend. None of them are gimme games but the Ravens would be exceptionally dangerous right now imo.

The Giants can still make the playoffs on 6-10 if Washington losses. CRAZY.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Giants can still make the playoffs on 6-10 if Washington losses. CRAZY.

If all the 10-5 AFC teams win at the weekend an 11-5 team will miss the playoffs while a 6-10 team could get in from the NFCE.

Cam, Pouncey and Watt now also not playing. I'd add maybe Hilton personally...he has been instrumental in blitzing/dropping in coverage. Spillane was rumoured to be aiming to return for week 17, but I don't know now..

• Advertisement

Browns are riddled with covid now too

Yes unfortunately the Browns seem to be having big issues with Covid. I hope the league doesn’t try to move the game to Monday / Tuesday and make both teams face in to the playoffs on a short week.

Yes unfortunately the Browns seem to be having big issues with Covid. I hope the league doesn’t try to move the game to Monday / Tuesday and make both teams face in to the playoffs on a short week.

I highly doubt that. it would screw up the real important tv spots.

I highly doubt that. it would screw up the real important tv spots.

If the game is not safe to play Sunday they mightn’t have a choice. Don’t forget they cancelled the highest rated games of the year on thanksgiving night due to safety concerns. Hopefully won’t come to that.

I hope they do pull it it means i might actually get to see it live during the day but it would really mess up our next game.

Joe Haden has tested positive for Covid meaning he will miss the first playoff game, this is big because they really don’t have an adequate replacement in that key position. Neither Sutton nor Layne have been convincing when they’ve had to play outside this season.

Haden may well have played his last game as a Steeler. He is probably a cap casualty in the off season.

Eric Ebron and Cassius Marsh also gone on the Covid list

Solid showing from Rudolph today with 300 yards plus passing. Looks a different player, his command of the offence vs last season was night and day. One ugly and costly interception but he was under pressure and it actually should have been called back for roughing. He’d have a long way to go before you’d trust him with the job full time but I think he can be a very good backup if they can improve the offensive line and running game to help the QB.

Rematch with the Browns next week now at Heinz field. Hopefully getting back the 6-7 guys that were missing today will see them through. You never know of course, the Browns are a good team and will be getting some guys back as well.

Browns @Steelers WC matchup set for 8.15pm (1.15am GMT) Sunday Night Football. Ugh! Give me any other time slot!

Rudolph had a good end of game but Dobbs impressed me with his mobility. Rudolph was a bit slow, the OL are not in a place to give him that much time.

Overall probably the soundest overall performance since the first half in Buffalo though they still were 24-9 down.

Colbert has committed to another year as GM so I think that takes him through to the 2022 draft which is good news.

Highsmith and Dotson have been named to the PFF All Rookie team, Claypool must have been close too but it was a ridiculous class for receivers in fairness. Considering that the Steelers didn’t have a first round or third round pick that’s a stunning draft, if you include Minkah as their first rounder they got unprecedented value from their draft resources by the looks of it.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-all-rookie-team-chargers-justin-herbert-qb-vikings-justin-jefferson-washington-chase-young

They’ll need another good draft this year looking at all the 18 pending free agents and the lack of cap space.

• Advertisement

Well...

10-0, 19-7 up late on Baltimore and Dupree goes off.

11-0 and 14-3 up on Washington and a 3rd and 14 to defend on the 5.

Since then..

dfx- wrote: »
    Well...

10-0, 19-7 up late on Baltimore and Dupree goes off.

11-0 and 14-3 up on Washington and a 3rd and 14 to defend on the 5.

Since then..

18 free agents and Ben is 39 at the start of next season. He may want to come back and try to prove a point but this team is looking at a rebuild. The cap situation is a total mess as well. IDK

Judging by the end on the bench, I wouldn't be surprised if Pouncey calls it a day and that makes up his mind to follow him.

Given the coming departures and no ready replacement, I'd still rather him stay.

Things aren’t going anywhere next season. Ben may as well retire and let them tidy up the cap situation. His salary is $19m next year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Disappointing result but not really surprised. I'm not up on all the cap and finance side of things but sounds like it's going to be messy next season.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Just watched the highlights i don't think I'll bother watch it all later awful stuff. Ben needs to retire now or move on to let us free up the cap.

I’ll be interested to see how the Rooney’s react to last night, it can’t just be business as usual this off season where all the same coaches are brought back and they do extensions / restructures with all the veteran players. These late season collapses have unfortunately become a thing we have come to expect, but last night felt like a bit of a Nadir. I don’t know how much appetite I have for watching a reincarnation of this same team again next year quite frankly.

Ben won’t want to go out on a performance like last night but I don’t see a Peyton Manning type fairytale ending if he comes back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ben had a good performance last night. Most of the 4 picks/5 turnovers were not his fault. Fumbled catches, bad snap, that 4th down they should have gone for etc. He threw over 500 yards.

Ben to NE anyone?
    Good coaching, plenty of cap space, one more run at the playoffs

ELM327 wrote: »
    Ben had a good performance last night. Most of the 4 picks/5 turnovers were not his fault. Fumbled catches, bad snap, that 4th down they should have gone for etc. He threw over 500 yards.

Ben to NE anyone?
    Good coaching, plenty of cap space, one more run at the playoffs

It would be serious straw clutching to claim that was a good performance, lots of stats with the Browns in prevent defence does not equal a good performance. Some of the turnovers were absolutely his fault.

I don’t know if you are serious about him going to NE but I don’t think they’d want him and I doubt he’d want to go there.

• Advertisement

Things aren't going anywhere next season with or without him probably. Unless the idea is to tank and I don't think that has ever been in the Rooney's or Colbert's plans - even last year, giving up a first in a season when they were 1-4.

They'll be aiming to put out the strongest team and with the current QB situation, that still includes Ben. Using the money to sign others and having Rudolph as QB behind that OL is not a great prospect either.

Advertisement