Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game Week 2 Highlights

Everton V WBA

Leeds V Fulham

Man Utd V Palace

Arsenal V West Ham

Southampton V Spurs

Newcastle V Brighton

Chelsea V Liverpool

Leicester V Burnley

Villa V Sheff Utd

Wolves V Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

With 44 goals, that is now the highest scoring gameweek in PL era

It beat this week from 2011, when Liverpool also beat Chelsea away, United also lost to a team they should be beating, and Cheick Tiote (RIP) rounded off one of the best comebacks the league has seen:

Aston Villa 2-2 Fulham
    Everton 5-3 Blackpool
    Man City 3-0 West Brom
    Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal
    Stoke 3-2 Sunderland
    Tottenham 2-1 Bolton
    Wigan 4-3 Blackburn
    Wolves 2-1 Man United
    West Ham 0-1 Birmingham
    Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Interesting thread here about handball. I wasn't aware but apparently the FA have been forced to adopt FIFA's rules regarding handball, which would explain the Doherty and Lindelof decisions this weekend:

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1308371651986366465

Personally I think these rules are an absolute joke. For Lindelof and Doherty to be punished with a goal against them when their hands were very much in normal positions that you expect to adopt when you're playing football is ridiculous and adds an element of freakish luck to the game.

The 2018 World Cup was awful for this, the amount of games decided literally by the way a ball bounced (because it happened to hit an arm) really spoiled many matches of the tournament for me.

I'm all for trying to apply some objective rules to this, but it can be done in such a way that it doesn't lead to decisions like those two we saw this weekend. If these are going to be our objective rules then I would far prefer to go back to the subjective interpretation of "deliberate and/or reckless".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

do those new rules mean that if an attacker deliberately hits a defenders arm with a shot, its a penalty?

you're at the end line, very slim chance of a goal, blast it at the defender and hope for the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

do those new rules mean that if an attacker deliberately hits a defenders arm with a shot, its a penalty?

you're at the end line, very slim chance of a goal, blast it at the defender and hope for the best?

Pretty sure that counts and the best attacking players are good enough to pull it off.

Training sessions set up with defenders trying to defend with the hands/arms hidden while attackers are firing the ball at their arms/hands when they stick out. It would be foolish not to try and use this rule to your advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fromvert wrote: »
    Pretty sure that counts and the best attacking players are good enough to pull it off.

Training sessions set up with defenders trying to defend with the hands/arms hidden while attackers are firing the ball at their arms/hands when they stick out. It would be foolish not to try and use this rule to your advantage.

I think Sadio Mane did it to Spurs in the CL final, certainly looked that way to me anyway. At the time posters on here and commentators on tv were saying it wasnt a penalty but that was going by PL rules, it happened in the CL which has a different interpretation of defensive handballs.

FIFA seem to want to just remove any grey areas from handball altogether and that is what these rules are designed to do. I can see the logic because if you remove the grey area then it stops being subjective and refs decisions should then be consistent right across the game. It will mean that situations like Lindelofs arise but over the course of a season that will balance out as teams will benefit from it just as much as they get punished for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We're going to see managers insist that arms are removed from all new signings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

We're going to see managers insist that arms are removed from all new signings...

In the land of the no arms the man with arms will throw the ball best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Assume this the same application of handball we saw in Europe and the world cup?

United benefited at PSG from it.

There was the handball in the World Cup on Soares in Portugal v Iran - the Final on Perisic wash pretty harsh also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Does that mean Stuart Armstrong has to change his name to Stuart Strong if he ever leaves Southampton? Seems a tad harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'm all for trying to apply some objective rules to this, but it can be done in such a way that it doesn't lead to decisions like those two we saw this weekend. If these are going to be our objective rules then I would far prefer to go back to the subjective interpretation of "deliberate and/or reckless".
    Subjdctive is too difficult. Only the offending player is really going to know if they meant it or not and in a world where players dive and playact, I don't trust the majority of them to admit that they deliberately stuck their hand out.

I play 7-a-side in Spain and they call every single handball. It was infuriating at first but after a while its got to the point where the ball hits my hand and I'll automatically stop playing as do most of the lads I play with, though non-Spaniards are the ones who get their knickers in a knot about it. Spaniards just know that it is what it is.

If you apply the rule all the time, people will stop whingeing about it because they know its the rule, just as sure as the ball crossong the line automatically means the ball's out of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Young Delap at Man City will plead for an exemption on the grounds of inheriting his dad's special talent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Moyes and 2 players just tested positive and had to leave the stadium, not sure if it was just before or during the game that the results came in

Things are going to get very messy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I see Wolves to beat West Ham at the weekend is one of the most popular bets on oddscheckerd6a8b1cbb1032637d4ae2b5646c2c6bd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If arms are kept by your side then still no peno, even under new rules right?

Looks like all Prem games will be shown on the telly in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

noodler wrote: »
    If arms are kept by your side then still no peno, even under new rules right?

it's a little more complicated than that something about your hands (which is up to your elbow) not increasing your silhouette. Also if you kick/head it on yourself it's not a pen, I thought this also applied to an opposing player kicking it at you but maybe not and you still have the closeness defence which seems very subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I keep on hearing the excuse about players being unfit and needing a few games to get up and running, particularly about United. But they played Seville on the 18th of August? Just over a month ago. The players had 2 weeks off - how much fitness do world classes athletes lose in 2 weeks? Same goes for pretty much every team in Europe - they’re season only ended a few weeks ago how can they be using that as an excuse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Subjdctive is too difficult. Only the offending player is really going to know if they meant it or not and in a world where players dive and playact, I don't trust the majority of them to admit that they deliberately stuck their hand out.

I play 7-a-side in Spain and they call every single handball. It was infuriating at first but after a while its got to the point where the ball hits my hand and I'll automatically stop playing as do most of the lads I play with, though non-Spaniards are the ones who get their knickers in a knot about it. Spaniards just know that it is what it is.

If you apply the rule all the time, people will stop whingeing about it because they know its the rule, just as sure as the ball crossong the line automatically means the ball's out of play.

Well then make it an indirect free kick for handball anywhere on the pitch because a penalty for firing the ball against someone's hand from 3 yards away is too much.

This is from someone who has been very critical in the past of players jumping and turning away from the ball with their arms out to make themselves bigger. It's different now, it's basically like a kicked ball violation in basketball only instead of an inbound ball you get 30 free throws. What we have seen so far in the PL has been outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

It’s like hockey where someone a yard away can hit the ball as hard as they want at your fort and if it connects then it’s a short corner. And there’s nothing you can do about it. Obviously far easier to pull it off in hockey but the punishment of a penalty in football is higher than a short corner is

Asian TV companies are considering looking for TV money rebates for the rescheduling of kick off times that is effecting them.
    Premier League clubs are facing rebate demands from Asian rights holders that could cost them tens of millions of pounds as they wrestle with whether to televise every game in the absence of crowds.

Broadcasters in the biggest Asian markets, including Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand, are unhappy with the rescheduling of many matches to evening kick-offs to benefit domestic fans during September, and will demand refunds if the policy continues for the rest of the season.

The Asian TV market is the most lucrative in the world for the Premier League, even after their £188m-a-year contract in China with Suning Holdings was cancelled earlier this month, with the continent contributing around £400m to the top flight’s £1.2bn overseas rights package.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8761543/Premier-League-clubs-facing-rebate-demands-Asian-rights-holders-cost-MILLIONS.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I keep on hearing the excuse about players being unfit and needing a few games to get up and running, particularly about United. But they played Seville on the 18th of August? Just over a month ago. The players had 2 weeks off - how much fitness do world classes athletes lose in 2 weeks? Same goes for pretty much every team in Europe - they’re season only ended a few weeks ago how can they be using that as an excuse?

As a United fan I think it is a weak excuse and it is the management's job to account for it and prepare a team for the first week of the league.

In terms of preparation - United's core group of players were wrecked when the season ended due to the number of games in a short space of time that they had to win and how often the core group was selected. They needed recovery time as a result. Basically having such a poor time pre-covid, the intensity they had to put in with the games so close together post restart has left them under-prepared for a new season starting so soon and with internationals beforehand.

It is a bit like a player returning later and taking longer to get up to speed after a long run in the world cup or Euro's.

It is the lack of recovery time that is the issue. Compare it to Leicester who last played on 26/7 - those 3 weeks of preparation time would make a difference, especially when players had internationals also.

Hadn’t heard this before that Premier League have brought in that games can be played at neutral venues if needs be due to regional lockdowns etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Wolves are now one defender away from a full Portugal XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,126 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Wolves are now one defender away from a full Portugal XI.

Coady must have Portugese blood somewhere in his family to be lasting so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

pjohnson wrote: »
    Coady must have Portugese blood somewhere in his family to be lasting so long.

Shocked at the price of Doherty's replacement, three times as much.

I'd have thought Doherty was the more.valuable.asset from a transfer pov too.

Not that I know much about the new RB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

noodler wrote: »
    Shocked at the price of Doherty's replacement, three times as much.

I'd have thought Doherty was the more.valuable.asset from a transfer pov too.

Not that I know much about the new RB

It makes sense on the agent's books.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement