Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUS Programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

segosego89 wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying you were the person who was placed in a local charity shop? If I remember correctly you had a bit trouble with your boss at first I think?

Can I ask how was your experience overall after working there for almost a year? Did you end up enjoying it in the end?

Yes that was me. My experience overall was negative as I felt there was a lack of work. However the Manager in the second shop where I had transferred to was very pleasant and she is a credit to the local community. One particular staff member was also pleasant. There were many changes I would have liked to implement but they would not have been adhered to. I also felt that they had poorly executed health and safety procedures with regards to Covid-19.

My mental heath had suffered immensely and the Manager was made aware of my issues. I was extremely uncomfortable at the cash register but I am happy that I tried my best. I am currently in the process of seeking help regarding my personal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

Oh you are taxed a tiny bit as i worked a lot doing various different jobs on top of the tus work and got taxed a fair bit on the tus work...
    its very little but i wasnt ever worse off than being on JSA
    Oh right, thanks for the information.

Apologies for my ignorance, but were you only subjected to certain kinds of taxes because of your combined income from both Tus work and additional work? Or are people who only get income solely from Tus subjected to certain kinds of taxes also?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Oh right, thanks for the information.

Apologies for my ignorance, but were you only subjected to certain kinds of taxes because of your combined income from both Tus work and additional work? Or are people who only get income solely from Tus subjected to certain kinds of taxes also?
    It was because i was doing extra work and how i spread my tax credits iirc.

alanzo27 wrote: »
    Yes that was me. My experience overall was negative as I felt there was a lack of work. However the Manager in the second shop where I had transferred to was very pleasant and she is a credit to the local community. One particular staff member was also pleasant. There were many changes I would have liked to implement but they would not have been adhered to. I also felt that they had poorly executed health and safety procedures with regards to Covid-19.

My mental heath had suffered immensely and the Manager was made aware of my issues. I was extremely uncomfortable at the cash register but I am happy that I tried my best. I am currently in the process of seeking help regarding my personal circumstances.
    Sorry to hear about your personal troubles and I hope your situation improves.

Although it's sad to hear you had an overall unpleasant experience, it's good that it improved somewhat towards the end when you started working in the second shop.

Can I ask did you transfer to the second shop on your own accord or were you placed there by your Tus supervisor? Also are the changes that you are talking about specific to the charity shops or the Tus scheme itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

Sorry to hear about your personal troubles and I hope your situation improves.

Although it's sad to hear you had an overall unpleasant experience, it's good that it improved somewhat towards the end when you started working in the second shop.

Can I ask did you transfer to the second shop on your own accord or were you placed there by your Tus supervisor? Also are the changes that you are talking about specific to the charity shops or the Tus scheme itself?

I had requested to transfer to the second Charity Shop. The changes are specific to the Charity Shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Well see, someone mentioned a while ago on this thread that you're actually taxed a tiny bit on what you earn on the scheme. It's a bit weird because Jobseeker's allowance is not considered taxable income yet when you're put on the Tus scheme, your income(which is basically the same rate as Jobseeker's with an added 20 Euros) is taxed to some extent.

I might be totally wrong but I think someone did the calculations on here and it turned out that you're actually a tiny bit worse off on the scheme compared to being on JSA. I'll have to try to go through this thread to see where the calculations were mentioned...

Can someone who knows about this stuff correct me if I'm wrong?

Wrong, if this is correct:

https://download.pwc.com/ie/budget-2020/income-tax-results.html?status=1&parentstatus=0&ageattained=46&prsicategory=1&grossincome=on&grosssalary=11700&pensionfund=on&tradeincome=on&welfarepension=on&investmentincome=0&salary3=0&covehicle=on&healthinsure=on&clubbiksel=0&otherbiksel=0&employerloan=on&submit=Calculate+my+tax

225 a week is still below the taxable limits. Of course if people have other income, as one poster alluded to, that would affect matters.

Someone on minimum wage working say a 37.5 hour week would however be paying some income tax.

My understanding is that jobseekers allowance is indeed taxable income. It's just that it falls below the limits, i.e. is covered by the tax free allowance.

tdf7187 wrote: »

https://download.pwc.com/ie/budget-2020/income-tax-results.html?status=1&parentstatus=0&ageattained=46&prsicategory=1&grossincome=on&grosssalary=11700&pensionfund=on&tradeincome=on&welfarepension=on&investmentincome=0&salary3=0&covehicle=on&healthinsure=on&clubbiksel=0&otherbiksel=0&employerloan=on&submit=Calculate+my+tax

225 a week is still below the taxable limits. Of course if people have other income, as one poster alluded to, that would affect matters.

Someone on minimum wage working say a 37.5 hour week would however be paying some income tax.

My understanding is that jobseekers allowance is indeed taxable income. It's just that it falls below the limits, i.e. is covered by the tax free allowance.
    Okay thanks for looking into the issue! This is good to know.

tdf7187 wrote: »

It all depends on one’s personal tax circumstances. If there’s a couple splitting tax credits or the amount of TUS payment, eg if one is claiming for a partner and children.

It all depends on one’s personal tax circumstances. If there’s a couple splitting tax credits or the amount of TUS payment, eg if one is claiming for a partner and children.
    If a single person with no children or spouse is getting the basic JSA rate and also is getting Rent Allowance Supplement(RAS) or HAP rental allowance would they be liable to any kind of taxes once they are put on the Tus scheme?

Some people get between 300 and 400 Euros per month on top of their basic JSA rate if they claim one of those rental supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 saxmaniaque

Hi there.

Just a quick question. Will bank give you a loan based on tus salary? Does it show as normal wage on your statement?

Thx

• Advertisement

Hi there.

Just a quick question. Will bank give you a loan based on tus salary? Does it show as normal wage on your statement?

Thx
    Have you tried contacting your bank to see whether it would be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RedRunners

Hi there.

Thx

Im on the TÚS programme myself. I'm not sure about the bank but I was approved for a small credit union loan.

RedRunners wrote: »
    Im on the TÚS programme myself. I'm not sure about the bank but I was approved for a small credit union loan.
    I know this is off topic but are you still working on the Tus scheme even during the Level 3 lockdown?

I know this is off topic but are you still working on the Tus scheme even during the Level 3 lockdown?

Yep. I was off during full lockdown but back now. It's usually just me and one other person, so I imagine it would be considered low risk.

Smcn20 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out, tortured with tus, they want me to work in local charity shop, it's opened on reduced hours due to covid and they still expect me to do 19.5 hours, obviously want me to be there when it's not opened, has anyone ever said they're not doing it, what happens do they cut the money straight away, do you eventually get money back again or what way does it work?

Im currently on TÚS. Iv never been cut off myself but my co-worker has. When he first started he missed loads of days without explanation. Obviously they suspended his payement. He said he just went down to the social and explained to them what happened. Explained to them that he still had to eat and pay bills. He was givin a social welfare payement untill the TÚS payement was re-instated.

Im currently on TÚS. Iv never been cut off myself but my co-worker has. When he first started he missed loads of days without explanation. Obviously they suspended his payement. He said he just went down to the social and explained to them what happened. Explained to them that he still had to eat and pay bills. He was givin a social welfare payement untill the TÚS payement was re-instated.
    So basically he had his payment suspended due to missing work days.

I assume when he went to his local Social Welfare Office and explained what happened in regards to his Tus payment suspension they reinstated his JSA payment on the understanding that he must eventually return to his Tus job? He was hardly able to get his JSA reinstated in the SWO and then just go home and continue to avoid his Tus placement without having to worry about his payment being suspended again?

So basically he had his payment suspended due to missing work days.

I assume when he went to his local Social Welfare Office and explained what happened in regards to his Tus payment suspension they reinstated his JSA payment on the understanding that he must eventually return to his Tus job? He was hardly able to get his JSA reinstated in the SWO and then just go home and continue to avoid his Tus placement without having to worry about his payment being suspended again?

I'm not sure what kind of temporary payement he recieved from the social but he got something.

Also, he never really stopped working the TÚS programme. His payment was suspended weeks after he missed all those days. Our supervisor must of reported him. Must take a week or two for the suspension to come into affect.

That being said. I'v never had that problem myself. I just show up on time and work away. In the event I have to miss a day, I usually just let them know a day in advance. Haven't been deducted yet.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fravashi

I had been happily working at TUS until new manager took over, then tried to make me do different type of work which I was not comfortable with. I refused and he would not give me alternative work. He cut my payment. So I went to local welfare office to explain my situation. Was told I must complete my 12 month TUS contract and try to reach agreement with my TUS manager.

In the end, I could not reach any arrangement with the TUS manager so he continued stoping my payment. I applied back to welfare but they have suspended my payment until my TUS 12 month end date. Overall TUS started off being a worthwhile experience but ended up being a horrible experience with no real understanding from either side. Feel more like a robot than human after it. Anyway glad to be out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

fravashi wrote: »
    I had been happily working at TUS until new manager took over, then tried to make me do different type of work which I was not comfortable with. I refused and he would not give me alternative work. He cut my payment. So I went to local welfare office to explain my situation. Was told I must complete my 12 month TUS contract and try to reach agreement with my TUS manager.

In the end, I could not reach any arrangement with the TUS manager so he continued stoping my payment. I applied back to welfare but they have suspended my payment until my TUS 12 month end date. Overall TUS started off being a worthwhile experience but ended up being a horrible experience with no real understanding from either side. Feel more like a robot than human after it. Anyway glad to be out of it.

They are supposed to be managing people but just have no idea how to do it. I get the impression that if they didn’t have that job, they’d be the type that knock on doors trying to sell PrePay power.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

They are supposed to be managing people but just have no idea how to do it. I get the impression that if they didn’t have that job, they’d be the type that knock on doors trying to sell PrePay power.

the problem is that they know the Tus worker is snookered and they can treat them badly and get away with it. the intreo office worker sees a cut in a payment and sees that as a positive so it's a tough situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

What are you doing for money now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fravashi

What are you doing for money now?

Family help. I have lost a bit of faith in the system at the moment. Seems to function on zero compassion, all to do with following the system unquestioningly.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know someone who was transferred to new locations twice, from positions that sounded like they may well have been stressful for at least some individuals. I think you should be able to ask your ‘placement provider’, rather than Intreo, if they could transfer you to another location, if this is possible in your area. I.e. I assume you had to sign up initially at an office of a local ‘partnership’/’development’-type organisation which then assigned you to an actual work location with a ‘team-leader’ who is your manager there – maybe you can discuss it with someone in ‘head office’?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

TusCN wrote: »
    I know someone who was transferred to new locations twice, from positions that sounded like they may well have been stressful for at least some individuals. I think you should be able to ask your ‘placement provider’, rather than Intreo, if they could transfer you to another location, if this is possible in your area. I.e. I assume you had to sign up initially at an office of a local ‘partnership’/’development’-type organisation which then assigned you to an actual work location with a ‘team-leader’ who is your manager there – maybe you can discuss it with someone in ‘head office’?
    my thoughts exactly, that said find it odd as usually once they place you you stay in one spot, my TUS manager was amazing almost half a decade back now, the placement manager where i worked was a c^nt and had to keep my head down and plow trough the $hit, but with decent TUS manager she signed me up for anything under the sun that was running on partnership- at first hated it, but eventually realized those courses offered break as would fall on same days as placement so signed up for whatever training they could offer under the sun at that time, then likes of 4 weeks holidays if saved and used properly, likes of xmas and other events made time short, doing few days at half hours a week is peanuts, as none of their placements will do or make anyone better if they have worked in their life, but if TUS manager makes entire thing nightmare, its worth contacting previous manager or even head office as advised.

as since said it gives 0 to none experience one is still allowed to look for any alternative work while on it, which will opt you out from the scheme with simple days notice if you find any job.

but if being stuck you really want to have good TUS manager that will help you figure out plan and training they can provide in the mean time while you do your placement. As skipping days, or saying you wont do x job for few hours a week its not worth it.

as best thing i taken from it that after i finished i didnt go even back on likes of JSA etc, any job that pays and gets you out and about is better.

Hi all, I'm just wondering does anybody know if you take up a specific position on the Tus scheme such as groundskeeping in a Rugby Club lets say, will you be working in that exact specific position for the entire year? Or can your Tus manager move you around to other places during the year such as picking up litter in a particular place in town etc?

So for example could you be working in the Rugby Club on a Monday and then on a Tuesday could your Tus manager decide to place you in a more conspicuous place in town where you would be picking up litter in a public place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Hi all, I'm just wondering does anybody know if you take up a specific position on the Tus scheme such as groundskeeping in a Rugby Club lets say, will you be working in that exact specific position for the entire year? Or can your Tus manager move you around to other places during the year such as picking up litter in a particular place in town etc?

So for example could you be working in the Rugby Club on a Monday and then on a Tuesday could your Tus manager decide to place you in a more conspicuous place in town where you would be picking up litter in a public place?

You’d think a rugby club would be able to pay a living wage to someone to do it.

You’d think a rugby club would be able to pay a living wage to someone to do it.

I only used the Rugby Club job as an example - I'm not sure if such a position exists. I know that Tus positions in GAA and Soccer Clubs exist.

You sign a contract. So the usual procedure is to stay where you are contracted to work for 12 months. However, a couple of people here have said their TUS manager was able to move them to other jobs/locations if the worker was unhappy with their job of choice. But I'd imagine that's down to what TUS manager you get.

You should have options though. I was offered one in a charity shop, one in a sports club, and another as a janitor in secondary school. All very different types environments. Choose wisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dgallagher_73

You sign a contract. So the usual procedure is to stay where you are contracted to work for 12 months. However, a couple of people here have said their TUS manager was able to move them to other jobs/locations if the worker was unhappy with their job of choice. But I'd imagine that's down to what TUS manager you get.

You should have options though. I was offered one in a charity shop, one in a sports club, and another as a janitor in secondary school. All very different types environments. Choose wisely!
    I can't remember if you posted on this thread before so apologies if I've asked you this question already but I was wondering what kind of job did you choose in the end? Did you enjoy the experience?

EDIT: Just realized you posted here before but I'm still not sure if I asked you what kind of Tus position you accepted already :)

• Advertisement

I can't remember if you posted on this thread before so apologies if I've asked you this question already but I was wondering what kind of job did you choose in the end? Did you enjoy the experience?

EDIT: Just realized you posted here before but I'm still not sure if I asked you what kind of Tus position you accepted already :)

I went with the sports club in the end. I just felt the charity shop would be alot of standing around, and the janitor job at the secondary school would be full of of teenage psychopaths :)

All in all, I think it was the right choice. The supervisor at the club is sound. She gives me the key in the morning and I just work away. No hurry, no hassle. "just head off when off when your finished", "looks like it might rain or snow, take the day off". That kinda thing.

By listening to some of the comments here, it appears that who you get as a supervisor or boss, will be reflective of your experience on the programme. I was lucky, mine is sound.

I'm still on it by the way, even though my 12 months have passed. Covid has thrown a spanner in the works.

Advertisement