Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding on a Thursday

Options
  • 28-01-2021 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,563 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys
    Just wondering what are your thoughts on getting invited to a wedding on a Thursday ,
    We have decided to cancel our wedding this summer and rebooked it for next year , Just kind of stuck between doing it on a Friday or a Thursday next year ,,

The available Thursday suits us because its 1 month earlier than the Friday is available,

Now its not a massive inconvenience to us to wait a month for the Friday but i'm just wondering what do guest think of getting invites for a Thursday ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I was best man for a Thursday wedding....the groom is a tight c*nt so no one was surprised he went on a thursday...

No one likes getting invited to weddings...ESPECIALLY if they are on a thursday....

You expect everyone to take 2 days off work for your special little day?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

could be a in a similar position myself, as we have a July wedding date for this year, a Friday.

if we push til next year it will most likely be a Thursday wedding given availability.

I would hope that close family and friends will all make the effort for a Thursday wedding.
    And if you give people enough notice it shouldn’t be an issue. Could be the makings of a great weekend.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,563 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I was best man for a Thursday wedding....the groom is a tight c*nt so no one was surprised he went on a thursday...

No one likes getting invited to weddings...ESPECIALLY if they are on a thursday....

You expect everyone to take 2 days off work for your special little day?

Ye I can totally understand that point of view and something iv been thinking about , but sometimes its not a case of being tight its the availability of the venue ,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't be a fan. Mainly because it involves taking 2 days of annual leave!

But these aren't normal circumstances. I think guests will be understanding, with so many people postponing and limited dates available. But do be prepared for some people to decline due to a lack of annual leave. Especially as people will have a backlog of weddings to attend next year and simply won't be able to accommodate them all.

If the Friday is available, that would be the preferable option from a guest perspective tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

If its not going to impact on you drastically, I'd wait and do it on the Friday. I'd love a wedding invite for a Friday, knowing I'd the weekend off after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We had a Friday wedding and even at that we deliberately had a later ceremony so people would only need to take a half day off work if they were so inclined.

I have been to Wednesday and Thursday weddings and people (us included) will leave early so as to not miss a second day of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

I've been to one Thursday wedding and it went really well. A lot of people made a long weekend of it and the weather was great which helped.

The tricky bit this year is what the Covid restrictions will be. Will people be allowed make a long weekend of it? If they are, then people will be delighted to have a three day party! There will be some pent up demand for a session when this is all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

JPup wrote: »
    I've been to one Thursday wedding and it went really well. A lot of people made a long weekend of it and the weather was great which helped.

The tricky bit this year is what the Covid restrictions will be. Will people be allowed make a long weekend of it? If they are, then people will be delighted to have a three day party! There will be some pent up demand for a session when this is all over!

I think the OP is talking about next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Wouldnt be too happy about it. It means taking 2 days annual leave which is a right pain in the hole. Comes across as tight in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I hate it.

Friday is the best best, one days holidays and two days to recover or continue the party.

Thursday is a pain because some people simply have to work, and many people going will get up for work the following day and that dents the party.

I’m invited to a thursday wedding soon, and with work it looks like I’m going to have to skip the church and be available on the Friday so and early night for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

djr15 wrote: »
    I think the OP is talking about next year.

Sorry you're right. In that case definitely go for it.

Not all your guests will want to stay for two days obviously, but a lot will and your close family and friends will make a great long weekend of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Depends on people’s jobs and taking a day off. I wouldnt do it myself as v hard for teachers to take a day during term time but if it was during summer grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Went to a Thursday wedding a few years ago. We actually were invited to weddings on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday that week (we skipped Friday). It was a great wedding and didn’t have a problem taking two days off because they were good friends.

I think given you already had to postpone due to Covid anyone worth knowing will understand that it’s really difficult to get a replacement date and should understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

woodchuck wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't be a fan. Mainly because it involves taking 2 days of annual leave!

But these aren't normal circumstances. I think guests will be understanding, with so many people postponing and limited dates available...
    Explain all you like, some people will hate you for the decision. Hell, I've heard people bitch about foreign weddings where the bride is foreign and it's in her country. Some people just look for stuff to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,563 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

mikhail wrote: »
    Explain all you like, some people will hate you for the decision. Hell, I've heard people bitch about foreign weddings where the bride is foreign and it's in her country. Some people just look for stuff to complain about.

Jesus hate is a bit much ,
    Not sure about you but I wouldn't be friends or inviting anyone to my wedding who would hate you over a decision of what day

mikhail wrote: »

Hate you for the decision? That's a bit much! People can always decline the invitation if it doesn't suit them.

We were originally booked to get married on a Saturday and we picked that date because we knew it would be the most convenient for our guests. But we postponed due to the pandemic and we've rescheduled for a Sunday, due to availability of suppliers. We think a Sunday is better than a Thursday; our logic is that with a Sunday you only need to take 1 day off, if any (it's a local venue for most and needs to end by 11.30pm anyway under the restrictions).

If we need to postpone again, we'll be lucky to get a Sunday. We'll settle for a Thursday if we have to. It's not like we'd be intentionally trying to inconvenience our guests though. With so many people postponing, along with couples who were already originally booked in for next year, popular days are just gone. My close friends understand and are sympathetic about our situation... there's certainly no hate there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Very unfair on asking guests to be taking two days off work just because it suits some. Move it to Saturday or at least Friday.

Cerveza wrote: »
    Very unfair on asking guests to be taking two days off work just because it suits some. Move it to Saturday or at least Friday.
    It is an invitation not an obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I’m of the opinion a couple should do whatever they want. It’s their day. But you have to bear in mind that some things such as day of the week, location, no kids etc won’t suit everyone and people may not go. Once your ok with that go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just goes to show most people are interested in the major piss up that comes with the wedding as opposed to the actual wedding :) you could go to a Thursday wedding and not be dying drunk Friday and still go to work

• Advertisement

Just goes to show most people are interested in the major piss up that comes with the wedding as opposed to the actual wedding :) you could go to a Thursday wedding and not be dying drunk Friday and still go to work

I think it down to the location/distance too though. If it's a few hours drive away, even if you haven't been drinking, you wouldn't want to be driving back late at night on the Thursday, so you can start work early on the Friday. You'd be wrecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭elefant

Just goes to show most people are interested in the major piss up that comes with the wedding as opposed to the actual wedding :)

I doubt many people are under illusions otherwise.
    It's a big party, that's the fun of it. Nobody, other the couple and maybe a handful of others, are particularly excited about the ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

These aren’t normal circumstances or times and that needs to be acknowledged.
    I know several people who have had to postpone their weddings till next year, the majority of which are now occurring on a week day because the weekends are simply booked out. I also know a few people who got engaged over Christmas who were shocked to find out that there are many venues not taking any more new bookings until they honour all their existing postponed ones.
    There is no availability unless they wait until 2023 and beyond and if you’ve already been waiting since last year, that’s a long time.

Think about it, all the weddings for 2020 and most of the first half of 2021 will now need to fit into 2022.
    There are only so many Fridays and Saturdays, and the venues will have to honour existing bookings while fitting in the rescheduled ones around them.
    That means a lot of people are going to end up having weekday weddings.

It isn’t anyone’s fault that the pandemic has caused this. Pre covid, when planning for the future was actually a possibility and there was a lot more availability and choice, it’s understandable that choosing a weekday might be unfair or inconvenient on guests.

But now, there is little to no choice really and planning that far into the future is near impossible. So I say do as you please, and forget about anyone who has an issue with it.
    It’s your wedding, anyone who really matters will understand the scheduling issues and be there if they can.

Most people don't want to have to use up annual leave to attend a party.

A wedding is of minor importance to anyone who isn't the couple getting married.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭micks_address

lazygal wrote: »
    Most people don't want to have to use up annual leave to attend a party.

A wedding is of minor importance to anyone who isn't the couple getting married.

As others have said its an invite not a legal obligation to attend..

As others have said its an invite not a legal obligation to attend..

I know, I said it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

OP, I think you would probably get a greater take up on the Friday.

As has been said, Thursday might involve two days of A/L, depending on travel involved etc, whereas Friday, people might decide to make a weekend out of it.

All the best, whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

lazygal wrote: »
    It is an invitation not an obligation.

That’s a perfect internet response.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sure it’s the couples day out and all that, but guests make sacrifices to be there as well, When your older and have kids and financial pressures going to a wedding is possibly the only night all year you get dressed up and have a night away with your other half.

It can be something you look forward to for a long time.

Having it on a Thursday just isn’t the same as a weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Leave it till the Friday a month later. I don't see why you are so eager for Thursday four weeks earlier.

There is enough stress involved in weddings, make it easy on yourselves. Sorted!

Advertisement