Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are you playing, VR edition.

• 27-05-2020 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well get one of these started.

Keep spoilers to a minimum for those of us still playing the games (or at least use the spoiler tag) :D

Currently I'm gradually making my way through Half Life Alyx when I get the time (every odd evening). Playing using my Quest and Virtual Desktop.

It's sickening how perfect this game is. I have dreams about it!

I'm just starting the Jeff stage... the lights have gone out... now don't tell me what's next!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Still on Alyx?! Jeez..I've parked the VR for a while..

Had started Red Matter though, pretty impressive for the Quest!

Looking to find a plank of wood for 'Richie's plank experience' to share with pals when the world resumes as normal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Shlippery wrote: »
    Still on Alyx?! Jeez

haha yeah I don't get much free time in the evenings believe it or not :)

Also I'm savouring every moment as I'm playing on Hard difficulty, and also spend ages searching for items

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Tetris Effect on PC ..really trippy , and the VR makes a huge difference

QuestZDoom is amazing! Just playing it out in the garden (after sundown of course!) with all Brutal Doom hi res mods turned on.

Neighbors probably think I'm mad. Little do they know I'm bringing unholy justice to hellspawn ...hence my loud swearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was mostly playing Blade and Sorcery, found a mod that gives you more options to choose the types of AI, so endless one on ones with swordsmen has kept me busy, then I busted one of my controllers by thrusting it into a wall...

Guess I'll be mostly playing IL2:sturmovik and City Car Driving until a replacement controller arrives

Only played an hour or two of Alyx. The dialogue and voice acting was doing my head in, and then stupid puzzles making a comeback like its 2005 finished me.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I was mostly playing Blade and Sorcery, found a mod that gives you more options to choose the types of AI, so endless one on ones with swordsmen has kept me busy, then I busted one of my controllers by thrusting it into a wall...

Guess I'll be mostly playing IL2:sturmovik and City Car Driving until a replacement controller arrives

Only played an hour or two of Alyx. The dialogue and voice acting was doing my head in, and then stupid puzzles making a comeback like its 2005 finished me.

Ah stick with Alyx...it's really good...esp Chapter 7

Completed Alyx today... phew a long ride but incredibly enjoyable! I honestly don't know how people play it wired as there are so many times I had to rotate around stairways or creep down behind cover while walking backward in the room.

Gonna try clearing off some long-unfinished titles on PSVR like Farpoint, plus I have No Man's Sky and The Persistence still in their wrapping!!

Probably Farpoint first... hopefully the Aim controller still holds a charge :D

Also booted up BBC Spacewalk again and Mission:ISS after the SpaceX launch at the weekend- two fascinating free(i think Mission:ISS was free - got it ages ago) - games....really make you get the sense of scale for the ISS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started Astrobot. Only the the first World completed but it's great so far

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Started Astrobot. Only the the first World completed but it's great so far

incredible game...be prepared for lots of face-ache from smiling non-stop

• Advertisement

I do enjoy
    the chameleons

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Currently play a rotation of Beat saber, pistol whip and space pirate trainer. Waiting for the sale at the end of June to get Alyx and possibly others.

Im hoping Alyx is as good as everybody has said.

Currently play a rotation of Beat saber, pistol whip and space pirate trainer. Waiting for the sale at the end of June to get Alyx and possibly others.

Im hoping Alyx is as good as everybody has said.

Did they say Alyx would be in the sale?

Can't imagine Alyx going on sale as long as it prints money for em!

Works for Beat Saber!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

New to VR as of today, playing Project Cars 2 for the past couple of hours and cant believe how different the game feels in VR im like a little kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

mrcheez wrote: »
    Did they say Alyx would be in the sale?

Im just hoping it is:cool:

Im just hoping it is:cool:

I would say September is more likely before first drop based on the IsThereAnyDeal.com record for their other games.

But you never know!! :)

To me, this was worth every penny I spent on it, and I *NEVER* buy games full price... ever.

Even my Switch games are purchased when they are at least 1 year old, and BOTW got a huge €5 discount :P

And credits rolled on Astor Bot. Quality game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

jayo26 wrote: »
    New to VR as of today, playing Project Cars 2 for the past couple of hours and cant believe how different the game feels in VR im like a little kid.
    Wait till you get Astro.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Wait till you get Astro.

you mean Assetto Corsa?

Interface is better on Project Cars for VR, though Assetto Corsa has more plugins

you mean Assetto Corsa?

Interface is better on Project Cars for VR, though Assetto Corsa has more plugins
    Nope, I mean Astro(bot). Poster was 'new to VR'. He has to do Astro. As you well know, it's brilliant ;) I'm looking for a deal on 'I expect you to die'. Looks good, and I love those puzzle type setups - and Statik, I loved that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nope, I mean Astro(bot). Poster was 'new to VR'. He has to do Astro. As you well know, it's brilliant ;) I'm looking for a deal on 'I expect you to die'. Looks good, and I love those puzzle type setups - and Statik, I loved that too.

Im on pc with rift s? Don't think astro is available on pc is it?

Nope, I mean Astro(bot). Poster was 'new to VR'. He has to do Astro.

yeah but he mentioned Project Cars 2 so...
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Im on pc with rift s? Don't think astro is available on pc is it?

Nope

Interesting this came up though. Should we have 2 different threads for the PSVR vs PC VR ? But then what about Quest and Go??

Maybe better people just post up what platform they are using :D

As for me... I was playing Sonic The Hedgehog 2 last night on my Oculus Go via Oculus Arcade ... it's so damned immersive, they even have the air conditioning of the arcade in the background!

Playing Virtual Boy games on my Oculus Go at the moment.

I can't get over just how great some of these games are, I don't think they ever got any recognition due to the hardware.

Virtual Boy Wario Land is pure genius, and the 3D effect is great.

Tetris Effect on PSVR is my new addiction... pure zen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Trover and really enjoying it. Then I love Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites and Justin Roiland's style of humour is all over this.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Trover and really enjoying it. Then I love Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites and Justin Roiland's style of humour is all over this.

It's so polished. I think it's pretty much an AAA platformer almost on par with Astrobot.

Finished Trover (must do the DLC actually..) but now back to Tetris.

I really can't believe how much I'm digging Tetris Effect.

Feel like it'd be great craic after a load of mushrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I go t Alyx for free with my Valve Index. Every other headset is trash.
    I bet console plebs are seething they can't play it on their under-powered door stops.

Erm...ok?

Shlippery wrote: »
    I really can't believe how much I'm digging Tetris Effect.

Feel like it'd be great craic after a load of mushrooms.

I'm down to the last 4 levels of Tetris Effect on Normal mode... gets hella tricky at this stage, but I'm totally zoned out throughout :D

Does the Quest version vibrate the controllers in tandem with the music too? I have that enabled on my PSVR version and it's great for added immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I bet console plebs are seething they can't play it on their under-powered door stops.

I bet PC plebs are seething that they can't play TLOU2 on their overpriced machines..

Jesus chill out lads, we're all in for promotion of VR not for fanboy-ism

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Playing a good bit of Tower Tag, very solid pick up and play multiplayer game thats like paintball/laser tag. 50% off in the Steam sale too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1187330/Tower_Tag/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Skyrim on psvr (ps4)... the graphics are painfully bad. Put me off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

I've nearly finished Half Life Alyx.. My controllers are all scuffed up and so is the wall, when you're in a frantic firefight its so easy to forget/ignore that boundary box. This thing is a lawsuit waiting to happen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Just got my VROptician prescription lenses for the Index so I'll finally be able to get back and finish Half Life Alyx this weekend (my new glasses were too big)

Just got my VROptician prescription lenses for the Index so I'll finally be able to get back and finish Half Life Alyx this weekend (my new glasses were too big)

curious, would contacts not have been an option?

Pulled out the G29 and Playseat Challenge yesterday to play a bit of GT Sport on my PSVR.

First time playing the game, and I stuck on Spotify playing some Forza Horizon tracks

Played the time trial mode with a convertible car, set at sunset going around a mountainous beachside course, just zoning out and bouncing to the music while marvelling at the serene environment.

Total zen, absolutely classic!

• Advertisement

As a big fan of Astro, I’ve just looked at a demo on YT of Trover based on the positive reviews above. Looks very good. Quick question: is is similar to Astro in terms of gameplay time start to finish?

As a big fan of Astro, I’ve just looked at a demo on YT of Trover based on the positive reviews above. Looks very good. Quick question: is is similar to Astro in terms of gameplay time start to finish?

Yeah Trover is great... do you like the Rick and Morty sense of humour?

Yeah Trover is great... do you like the Rick and Morty sense of humour?

Never got that either. But definitely a big fan of the first party platform setup. Once I get a bit of time, I’ll buy Trover, I’ve a 60€ smiths voucher but prob cheaper online.

Played GT Sport on the PS4 last night flatscreen for the first time with my G29/Playseat Challenge.

Have to play the flat screen version to unlock all the other tracks so that I can play them in VR.

Have to say, I've never been more appreciative of the depth of field that VR offers, compared to driving on the TV, even a 55" sitting right in front of me.

When coming to corners I never really felt they were oncoming until it was too late and I ended up hitting the brakes hard, whereas in VR I could get a real sense of how far the corners were away from me and could adjust my driving accordingly.

Driving flat screen is like I have Strabismus (condition where you have no depth perception) so I'd say people with that condition are probably not allowed to drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 GodsHelix

Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Handgrenades is by far my favourite game on VR. It's on the Steam store, and made by a small group of developers but it's incredibly fun. It does require a fairly high understanding and knowledge of firearms to play properly, though, as it is mainly a gun sim first and a silly shooter second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

GodsHelix wrote: »
    Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Handgrenades is by far my favourite game on VR. It's on the Steam store, and made by a small group of developers but it's incredibly fun. It does require a fairly high understanding and knowledge of firearms to play properly, though, as it is mainly a gun sim first and a silly shooter second.

One of the first VR games I played and still one of my favourites

I havent played it in ages but I found that every mode they added other than the ranges was a pain in the arse, too much fluting around trying to be clever

the gun ranges and selections of firearms are brilliant though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Playing way too much Death:Unchained on the Quest for the last few days, ridiculously addictive in the all of a sudden my headset has run out of battery, well plug it in you say, so that is how 22:00 turned into 02:40 with the shadows in my bedroom turning into mist shrouded platforms complete with monastic archers

fenris wrote: »
    Playing way too much Death:Unchained on the Quest for the last few days, ridiculously addictive in the all of a sudden my headset has run out of battery, well plug it in you say, so that is how 22:00 turned into 02:40 with the shadows in my bedroom turning into mist shrouded platforms complete with monastic archers

It was my favourite game on Rift hands-down.

Think I put in around 30 hours before I finally beat the first boss :D

Unchained is a bit different I think though.

Playing through Return To Castle Wolfenstein on Quest at the moment.

Might put it on hold before I get too far into it, and continue when the Quest 2 arrives, as it should look fantastic (it already looks great on Quest).

Also looking to finally close off Farpoint on PSVR!

Aiming to finally complete Farpoint this week on PSVR. I keep getting "so far" and then get distracted by something else and by the time I come back to it I forget the controls and story :D

So pushing through to completion before Halloween.

Then over Halloween I'll throw on some spooky VR games... have a few on my backlog to complete!

• Advertisement
Advertisement