Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles even more bargain alerts thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Longing

Switch has been the No 1 hardware sales of 2020 especially in the US sales reached $1.35 billion in December 2020,” That’s an increase of 38% when compared to a year ago.

There will be no new hardware from Nintendo anytime soon not until at least next year going by those profit margins they made in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭jj880

Waiting for new zelda myself. Will probably sell switch after completing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The biggest killer of ther hardware sales of successful Nintendo stuff is new Nintendo stuff!
    That might not be true!!

What is true is that the ability of developers, the big and the small, to port their products to as many devices as possible for as little money as possible will depend on the target hardware being compatible with the development environment.
    It's likely the Switch is rapidly going to make porting harder, when software is being developed for the PS5/XboxSeriesX, even lower tech, indie stuff.

So, a new more capable Switch will probably mean we'll see more titles arrive to the format.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The biggest killer of ther hardware sales of successful Nintendo stuff is new Nintendo stuff!
    That might not be true!!

What is true is that the ability of developers, the big and the small, to port their products to as many devices as possible for as little money as possible will depend on the target hardware being compatible with the development environment.
    It's likely the Switch is rapidly going to make porting harder, when software is being developed for the PS5/XboxSeriesX, even lower tech, indie stuff.

So, a new more capable Switch will probably mean we'll see more titles arrive to the format.

On the one hand yes, on the other hand Nintendo has been releasing consoles that are less powerful than other consoles of the same generation for pretty much this entire century. Sometimes it's worked out well, sometimes it hasn't.

I think it's a clear indication of Nintendo's strengths as a company that the two big breakout consoles within that time period are the ones that have gone massively beyond the self-declared gamer crowd and reached a wide audience. In turn, we still have a tedious amount of self declared "real gamer" nitwits who come out with daft pish like "Oh, Nintendo are for kids, not real gamers". So I'm not sure it makes sense for Nintendo to aim for a more powerful hardware profile that can better support games aimed at that market, when the strength of Nintendo's approach seems to be in figuring out how to sell games and consoles to people who don't think of themselves as people who buy or play videogames. (Plus, arguably that's what they did with the Wii U and that sold even worse than the Gamecube...)

Personally I think Nintendo have probably decided that the answer to "what about fans who want 3rd party AAA titles ported to the Switch" (well, beyond "that's nice, they can buy another console for that") is going to be streaming. It's not perfect, but it means they don't have to have multiple SKUs within the same product line and crucially avoids silliness of the "This game can only be played on the New Nintendo Switch (Turquoise Edition)" variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

I look at Xbox games store and there are a lot of very similar games ( first person shooter, driving games, 18 cert dystopian , ... ) and hardly any family friendly / universal / multi player / couch games. Goto Gamepass / Family options on Xbox and it's Banjo Kazooie and Super lucky tales + minecraft. It's really bad. But I guess they're "free" on Gamepass.

Then I look at the Nintendo's and it's literally tons of stuff. I think Nintendo could introduce minor hardware upgrades and sell loads with updates to the following: mario kart, botw, mario odyssey, rig fit adventure, animal crossing, pokemin, mario party, 2d mario, 3d mario, 3ds ports, smash. Plus it's easy for indies to develop on low power hardware. Less scope, less assets to develop. i.e. they have to all focus on gameplay.

Also, Nintendo are still selling all of their games at original price and selling them in millions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, I don't think streaming is the answer.
    I have the Stadia and it works well... sometimes, and I'm blessed with a great connection.
    On Nintendo, I have no idea how well it would work.
    And I don't think the push for more power in a Switch Pro would be for AAA ports, that debate has been over and done with.
    I didn't buy the Switch so I could play the games I already play on my PS4/XBox1/PS5, I own it to play those amazing games I can't play anywhere else.
    More power would give us even more ambitous titles, visually and in terms of possible gameplay.
    It would give us better screens, better batteries, more and faster storage options.
    And Nintendo seem to change up their consoles every five years or so, in the modern era at least.
    So they would be right on target to at least announce the Switch successor this year, with it's release next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

DeadWeight wrote: »
    Yet to own a switch but have my eye on the red1 but part of feels like a "Pro" version will come later in the year

I think COVID has likely delayed some of that. The PS5 and Xbox were already announced so they stuck to the date, albeit with fulfilment issues. I can’t see Nintendo announcing a new console for release this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Picked up Submerged for just over a euro, seems to be on sale more often than not, visually a bit dated but enjoying it so far. Worth using up a few of your coins on.

€1.34 in Ireland, 88c in New Zealand, hardly worth seeing up a new account for is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

€1.34 in Ireland, 88c in New Zealand, hardly worth seeing up a new account for is it?

Well I wouldn't bother, but I am quite lazy.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

If you have gold coins you can probably get it for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you have gold coins you can probably get it for free

Yeah I got it for 4c including the gold coins I had

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

has anyone seen Pikmin 3 anywhere for cheaper than launch?

I see argos has it reduced to €43 but no stock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Longing

evad_lhorg wrote: »

COVID: Argos is only essential items for pick up. Games are not classed in that category. I have relation working in a branch the have stock in that store but not aloud to buy or reserve online. Only warehouse delivery if its there. Absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

€41 on Amazon UK atm including Irish VAT. You may also be eligible for the £5 off voucher discount5p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08FCXFHV3/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hatch8harry

I ordered off amazon for £32.13 on Saturday using "discount5p" code. Import fees included in that price. Free shipping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Not sure if already posted, but big sale in the UK eshop.

Lots of maybe crappy games for 8p

€41 on Amazon UK atm including Irish VAT. You may also be eligible for the £5 off voucher discount5p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08FCXFHV3/

Oh I was completely unaware amazon did the import fees included in the price now. I have prime too and that 5 discount worked as well.

Thanks a lot for that.

Oh I was completely unaware amazon did the import fees included in the price now. I have prime too and that 5 discount worked as well.

Thanks a lot for that.

Ordering from Amazon UK now works like the US, you get charged by Amazon for the product and import fees. If the amount paid for import fees exceeds the amount levied the balance will be refunded to you.

In other words if customs don't grab the package your import fee will be refunded.

Ordering from Amazon UK now works like the US, you get charged by Amazon for the product and import fees. If the amount paid for import fees exceeds the amount levied the balance will be refunded to you.

In other words if customs don't grab the package your import fee will be refunded.

And here was me thinking amazon prime was a waste of money now. That's decent.

Could be worth it down the line a bit when they're not checking everything. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Wrong, there is no added charges, anything under €22 is exempt from customs, it's pretty much business as usual. I bought a €260 collectable and it was the same price as usual. No customs.

• Advertisement

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Wrong, there is no added charges, anything under €22 is exempt from customs, it's pretty much business as usual. I bought a €260 collectable and it was the same price as usual. No customs.

The import fees on Amazon are the VAT and duty for this country. All items under €150 are only liable for VAT, over this value they are liable for duty.

On Amazon you pre pay this so you won't get stung for a customs clearance fee by the carrier, which can be up to €18.

Stop talking out your backside. This is how all non EU deliveries work, including from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

The import fees on Amazon are the VAT and duty for this country. All items under €150 are only liable for VAT, over this value they are liable for duty.

On Amazon you pre pay this so you won't get stung for a customs clearance fee by the carrier, which can be up to €18.

Stop talking out your backside. This is how all non EU deliveries work, including from the UK.

I've ordered over €150 plenty of times in the last 2 weeks. No added charges.

One was €210, another €260 and last night €390. No added fees or extras, the usual Irish VAT, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Well I got caught for 9 Euro of fees on a 14 pounds item as I put it through AddressPal (6.50) and according to the Brexit Thread here, they estimated the cost of shipping in UK even though I didn't pay any as I'm Amazon Prime.
    So they essentially said the total was the item price + AdddressPal + some magical estimate for shipping it to AddressPal which made my total goods have a Customs Value of € 28.54

Also - the 22 Euro limit is on the price of the item and shipping cost.
    So be careful as you could get stung

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I've ordered over €150 plenty of times in the last 2 weeks. No added charges.

One was €210, another €260 and last night €390. No added fees or extras, the usual Irish VAT, that's it.

That depends on what you are buying, different things have different rates of duty.

If you are buying off Amazon all of this is already factored in the price you pay at the checkout.

Most companies are still charging UK VAT on exports leaving you liable to pay Irish VAT on that price, potentially making stuff very expensive.

Keep the discourse civil or don't post here.
    The Vat/Customs arrangements are well described elsewhere on Boards, and if you have avoided it it's probably luck rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Agent A is a (pretty old former mobile phone) point and click puzzle solving game that I downloaded today. 99c at the moment and doubt it'll ever go much higher than that for very long, but I've enjoyed the puzzles. Similar kind of puzzles as The Room if you're familiar with that game. Audio in cut scenes goes a bit haywire at the end of each chapter (5 chapters in all) which is odd but no biggie imo.

I just completed the second chapter and I don't regret spending the euro on it, think it's a bit of a bargain at that price, there is a demo to try before you buy too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Agent A is a (pretty old former mobile phone) point and click puzzle solving game that I downloaded today. 99c at the moment and doubt it'll ever go much higher than that for very long, but I've enjoyed the puzzles. Similar kind of puzzles as The Room if you're familiar with that game. Audio in cut scenes goes a bit haywire at the end of each chapter (5 chapters in all) which is odd but no biggie imo.

I just completed the second chapter and I don't regret spending the euro on it, think it's a bit of a bargain at that price, there is a demo to try before you buy too.

Played it on mobile. Excellent game, really worth it at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Also played it on iOS. Enjoyed it even if some of the puzzles were a little obscure for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Amazon DE doing 3 for 2 on some Switch games until Sunday: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/promotion/A3VGXNIKF0UWV6?ref_=sopp_psp_A3VGXNIKF0UWV6

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - €50
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - €47
    Paper Mario: The Origami King - €45
    Pokemon Sword/Shield - €46 each
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - €45
    Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - €50
    Super Mario Party - €50

+2% VAT. Postage works out at €5.21 to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Jebus fastest delivery is February 5th that's nuts

Advertisement