Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

mossie wrote: »
    Is it me or has Alex become more difficult lately? For example:
    1st go "alexa switch of all the lights" - "there are several items called all the lights"
    2nd go "alexa switch of all the lights" - "I cannot find all the lights"
    3rd go "alexa switch of all the lights" - lights switch off

So three attempts before it gets it right and this happens more often than not.

Yes, seems to be even if you have them as Lights on the top tab, she will still get confused.

I've jus tried this - Alexa switch on the lights - Do you mean heating...

Create a group called lights, add both light devices.

Alexa switch on/off lights now works...

Now if I could only get my Nissan leaf connected again for charging updates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

1st go "alexa switch of all the lights" - "there are several items called all the lights"

Create a routine
    Call it "Goodnight"
    Edit it to turn off all your lights.
    Say "Alexa, Goodnight"
    Darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭mossie

frash wrote: »
    Create a routine
    Call it "Goodnight"
    Edit it to turn off all your lights.
    Say "Alexa, Goodnight"
    Darkness

Thanks, I have a similar routine for night which turns off my lights in living area and turns on the bedroom lights and one for morning which works in reverse. I didn't think of using a similar one for just controlling all the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I bought prime on sale the other day but couldn't get prime music working on echo dot. From reading various threads am I right in saying prime music won't work but if I pay for music unlimited it will?
    I live chatted Amazon who said I would get an email from Amazon Ireland music dept. They are not yet on live chat or have a phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

Keith C wrote: »
    I bought prime on sale the other day but couldn't get prime music working on echo dot. From reading various threads am I right in saying prime music won't work but if I pay for music unlimited it will?
    I live chatted Amazon who said I would get an email from Amazon Ireland music dept. They are not yet on live chat or have a phone number.

There is no 'Amazon Ireland'.

• Advertisement

corkboy38 wrote: »
    There is no 'Amazon Ireland'.
    No but according to live chat there is music Ireland department apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Keith C wrote: »
    No but according to live chat there is music Ireland department apparently
    are you a full prime member to access music videos etc ?
    not even sure they offer that complete service but alexa should pickup if you have amazon music unlimited, otherwise you should get alexa telling to try amazon music unlimited for a month free if u never used it before, ofc dont forget to cancel if you wont be using it later.

scamalert wrote: »
    are you a full prime member to access music videos etc ?
    not even sure they offer that complete service but alexa should pickup if you have amazon music unlimited, otherwise you should get alexa telling to try amazon music unlimited for a month free if u never used it before, ofc dont forget to cancel if you wont be using it later.
    I bought annual prime for £59 then bought the 2x echo dot + smart plug for £45. I thought prime would provide the music. In fairness to Amazon they proceeded £55 refund and cancelled Amazon prime. So now I'll take the free month subscription to music unlimited then decide to keep that or go Spotify premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Same here - seems to be struggling hearing light instead of lights.
    When we overemphasise the 's' in lights it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I changed the names of my Hue lights and they are no longer being detected by the routines. They work.fine with voice commands

Have tried Discover Devices, any ideas?

• Advertisement

zinzan wrote: »
    Same here - seems to be struggling hearing light instead of lights.
    When we overemphasise the 's' in lights it works fine.
    mince acts up from time to time, found that usually turning it off/on in case theres some updates or just refresh helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Hey I bought an Osram Light on Amazon for their sale but I need a hub to get it to work can anyone guide me as to what the cheapest hub would be to get it to work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hey I bought an Osram Light on Amazon for their sale but I need a hub to get it to work can anyone guide me as to what the cheapest hub would be to get it to work?

Can you link to the model you purchased?
    I dont know Osram that well, but I thought they didn't need any hub. They work directly via Apple Homekit. You could always return it for free and go with Philips hue.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Pretty new to all this - is it possibe to set a timer through routines? Had a play about but can't find how.

Example: I say Alexa: Naughty Corner, and Alexa sets a 5 min timer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Pretty new to all this - is it possibe to set a timer through routines? Had a play about but can't find how.

Example: I say Alexa: Naughty Corner, and Alexa sets a 5 min timer

Why are you trying to use a 'routine'?
    You can just set a timer at anytime by saying how long and the timer reason.

"Alexa, timer 5 minutes for naughty corner"

Davy wrote: »
    Why are you trying to use a 'routine'?
    You can just set a timer at anytime by saying how long and the timer reason.

"Alexa, timer 5 minutes for naughty corner"

Basically I'm trying to set up different times for different ages. Possibly overthinking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Basically I'm trying to set up different times for different ages. Possibly overthinking it!

You could prob use the "wait" step to delay the response instead of a timer. Something like this, with the wait set to 5 mins.

Routine > When this happens > Voice > Alexa, "Naughty Step".

Add action > Voice > "Okay, naughty step" > Wait >5 mins > Alexa says > "times up".

That way it sets on your voice command, she says okay so you know it set, then after 5 mins she says times up.

I normally use "wait" to turn off all the lights downstairs but give me 2 mins to get up the stairs first.

lol i was freaked a bit yesterday, woke up to see yellow ring on alexa, first thought someone in house dropped in, said to stop, but reverted back, to spinning circle of yellow, said to play messages, no messages but then get promt for notification about amazon delivery on the day :D i read a while back they integrated that but with many deliveries haven't seen it, wonder is it connected only to certain items. nice feature overall, as item was in mailbox when went to check :)

Been solid yellow over the last week as the prime day stuff arrives :)

ive no prime but it was philips hue remote switch with couple socket covers, was some discount, but it was first time me seeing it,nice none the less how it communicates with amazon account to pick it up.

• Advertisement

You could prob use the "wait" step to delay the response instead of a timer. Something like this, with the wait set to 5 mins.

Routine > When this happens > Voice > Alexa, "Naughty Step".

Add action > Voice > "Okay, naughty step" > Wait >5 mins > Alexa says > "times up".

That way it sets on your voice command, she says okay so you know it set, then after 5 mins she says times up.

I normally use "wait" to turn off all the lights downstairs but give me 2 mins to get up the stairs first.

Great idea thank you! This'll work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

You're using an Alexa to make a naughty corner for your kids!?

No (!?)

When the kids get put into the naughty corner, we set a timer based on their age, on our phones. The 3 yr old gets 3 mins time out etc.

If we don't set a timer, they freak out even more, so we have to then go looking for the phones to set a timer. Naughty corner location is the same room as Alexa is in, so just trying to automate the process, and have a timer set without having to hunt down the phones every time

Wouldn't work in my house Alexa and my 3-year-old are best buds. they are chatting away all day. Alexa understands her better than any of the rest of us at this stage. I'd put her on the naughty step and 3 seconds later Alexa would be playing her Sia :D

Wouldn't work in my house Alexa and my 3-year-old are best buds. they are chatting away all day. Alexa understands her better than any of the rest of us at this stage. I'd put her on the naughty step and 3 seconds later Alexa would be playing her Sia :D

Haha, brilliant! Twas all going well in our house until the 5 yr old taught the 3 year old to ask Alexa to fart:D

ive seen new feature emailed on alexa letting you name different timers, id guess that would work for kids, say alexa set timer 2hours for Timmy :pac: then set 5 hours for John :D LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have Echo Auto at the moment, have to say I'm not super impressed with it. It is great to have bluetooth in my car for music as I didn't have this before. But I thought it would be good to be able to say "Alexa direct me to Dublin City University" or such and then the directions pop up but instead it says "directions to University" and directs me somewhere totally different. Same with lots of places.

And spotify also, it isn't great. Hopefully it improves.

Raoul wrote: »
    I have Echo Auto at the moment, have to say I'm not super impressed with it. It is great to have bluetooth in my car for music as I didn't have this before. But I thought it would be good to be able to say "Alexa direct me to Dublin City University" or such and then the directions pop up but instead it says "directions to University" and directs me somewhere totally different. Same with lots of places.

And spotify also, it isn't great. Hopefully it improves.
    nice how did you get one ? as seems its only in US by exclusive invite ? 25$ seems decent price, doubt 50 would be worth it, as looking at those reviewing it seems its lagging and still needs quite a lot of work. but guessing it might improve with next couple gens to become standard to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Raoul

Applied for it here. Echo Auto. Then I used address pal. Not sure it is worth it at the moment though.

• Advertisement

Is it just a mic that plugs into your phone and then uses the App to play music etc?

Couldn't you just have the app open and press the Alexa button?

In saying that I'll prob buy one :pac:

Advertisement