Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scolly

wawaman wrote: »
    How do you find the blink cameras? Was thinking of taking the plunge with them

They are good - I would not be relying on them for security cameras alone but they work perfectly for what I need them for

Live in the countryside so have 3 cameras. Front door, driveway and inside hall. I don’t have them on too often but when we leave the house I put them on in the app and if anyone drives up I get a 5 second clip sent to the phone and then you can log in live to see what’s happening

Easy to set up just pop in 2 AA batteries and hang screw them onto a wall and works well with Alexa

For me it’s more that I can get alerted when we are away to what’s happening

There is a few minute delay sometimes from when something happens to when the alert comes but for the price I would not put anyone off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Anybody know if you can link two Spotify accounts to Alexa?

Want to play my playlists but OH has his linked! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

VandC wrote: »
    Anybody know if you can link two Spotify accounts to Alexa?

Want to play my playlists but OH has his linked! :)

Have you tried using a second amazon account and then ask Alexa to switch user profile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Or.. get him to follow your playlists through his profile,might save time with regards switching profiles and then just request through his Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

thing which bugs us a lot here sometimes (a real first world problem :) ) is alexa not finding artists or songs on spotify ....we all like p!nk here...but alexa plays pink floyd !!
    other artists and songs too but havent got examples of top of my head.
    on the tv google assistant knows p!nk if you ask it via the mic on the remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Only one Amazon account so the first suggestion won't work for me, unless of course I set up another account.

Might not have a choice but to make sure he follows my playlists.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'd like to mount the 2nd gen echo (not the dot) preferably hanging from the ceiling or mounted on the wall.

Any brackets particularly recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Blueandgold88

Having an issue where whenever I try to play something on Spotify on echo dot, it's just coming up with 'To link your Spotify, please add a premium account in the Alexa app' even though I have already done this. Have deregistered and registered, relinked the account a few times and getting nowhere. Anybody have any ideas or experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Having an issue where whenever I try to play something on Spotify on echo dot, it's just coming up with 'To link your Spotify, please add a premium account in the Alexa app' even though I have already done this. Have deregistered and registered, relinked the account a few times and getting nowhere. Anybody have any ideas or experience of this?

Something similar happened to me last month, when I wanted to order a gift from Amazon US for my daughter (I normally use Amazon.co.uk). After switching to AMAZON.COM, my spotify got disconnected. I switched back to the UK and it worked after.

Check also when you open the Alexa App on your phone, if that echo dot is online. The dot may have de-registered from your Alexa account, so will not connect to Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Any news when the Echo Auto will be available for European users

Only available in the US and a bit Gimmicky but like to see it

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/17882126/amazon-echo-auto-alexa-car-features-bluetooth-price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/17882126/amazon-echo-auto-alexa-car-features-bluetooth-price

Amazon had a list open before Xmas for people outside the US to pre-register in order to purchase once it became available outside the US.
    I registered with 3 different email addresses:D

It may still be possible to do on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Raoul

Amazon had a list open before Xmas for people outside the US to pre-register in order to purchase once it became available outside the US.
    I registered with 3 different email addresses:D

It may still be possible to do on Amazon

Dibs one if you get three :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

I have the Echo Auto here in Ireland. I love it. It operates the Irish Amazon Music and Spotify perfectly. Google Maps and Waze works great too. It is a game changer for me. It isn't available even for the general American public yet so it won't be available here in Europe for at least a year. It's by invition only.

The speed at which it boots up is amaazing, it's literally instant as soon as the car is turned on. It's only sent to a select number of people right now for beta testing. For me it's definitely not a gimmick. I find it better than any automation product i ever owned. It makes driving safer and more enjoyable. Just ask it to take you to the nearest Costa Coffee or the cheapest petrol station and it takes you, plus of course having the freedom to change music and adjusting the car speak volume with voice is amazing. you can use a phone to operate Google Assistant but the phone's limited microphones makes it hard to hear you with load music on and it also means you need to have your phone on the dash all the time for that, you can't just keep it in your bag. The Echo Auto is an essential, especially for anyone who doesn't have built-in Carplay or Android Auto, which is not in most new cars today.
    the funny thing is that using it here in Ireland she uses the British accent, not the US accent, even with US english.

i guess I'm the only one who has it here in Europe, I don't see anyone in the European forums talking about it. But at least I can confirm it works great and will even work with an Irish Amazon Music account if you're on the fence about compatibility issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have the Echo Auto here in Ireland. I love it. It operates the Irish Amazon Music and Spotify perfectly. Google Maps and Waze works great too. It is a game changer for me. It isn't available even for the general American public yet so it won't be available here in Europe for at least a year. It's by invition only.

The speed at which it boots up is amaazing, it's literally instant as soon as the car is turned on. It's only sent to a select number of people right now for beta testing. For me it's definitely not a gimmick. I find it better than any automation product i ever owned. It makes driving safer and more enjoyable. Just ask it to take you to the nearest Costa Coffee or the cheapest petrol station and it takes you, plus of course having the freedom to change music and adjusting the car speak volume with voice is amazing. you can use a phone to operate Google Assistant but the phone's limited microphones makes it hard to hear you with load music on and it also means you need to have your phone on the dash all the time for that, you can't just keep it in your bag. The Echo Auto is an essential, especially for anyone who doesn't have built-in Carplay or Android Auto, which is not in most new cars today.
    the funny thing is that using it here in Ireland she uses the British accent, not the US accent, even with US english.

i guess I'm the only one who has it here in Europe, I don't see anyone in the European forums talking about it. But at least I can confirm it works great and will even work with an Irish Amazon Music account if you're on the fence about compatibility issues.

How did you get it?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is there any way to get multi room music in Ireland?

Raoul wrote: »
    How did you get it?

I was invited by Amazon to beta test it here

naughtb4 wrote: »

Yes, you subscribe to the family plan of either Spotify or Amazon music

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

naughtb4 wrote: »

What do you mean by multi room music?

Couple of answers:
    1) If you mean same radio station or spotify/amazon music song(s) playing on multiple alexa devices in different rooms then yes you can setup audio groups in the Alexa app. I've 3 setup personally "Music everywhere", "Music Downstairs" and "Music Upstairs" and just added devices to whichever group.

Alexa - Play BBC Radio 1 everywhere.
    Alexa Play Ed Sheeran on Music Downstairs

2) If you mean different music streaming through spotify etc. in different rooms then you need family plan etc. as answered.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

kennM wrote: »

Couple of answers:
    1) If you mean same radio station or spotify/amazon music song(s) playing on multiple alexa devices in different rooms then yes you can setup audio groups in the Alexa app. I've 3 setup personally "Music everywhere", "Music Downstairs" and "Music Upstairs" and just added devices to whichever group.

2) If you mean different music streaming through spotify etc. in different rooms then you need family plan etc. as answered.

Hope it helps.

Thank you!!!

It was 1) I had thought putting them in a group was enough.

Didn't know I had to set a multi speaker group up. Fantastic feature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mac B

Has anyone encountered this problem I've been having the past week. It's the Alexa app on my Samsung 8 phone. When I open it it shows my 2 dots and 1 echo as been offline but they all work fine and are online. My hue lights and smart plugs aren't listed in the app but again all work fine in their own apps and also my Alexa devices turn them on or off as normal. My routines aren't listed but all are also working correctly. It's just the app on my phone with the problem.

If I clear data on the app through the phone settings then open the app I have to log back in (Amazon account and password) then all is back to normal and working correctly. Close the app and try again 2 mins later and everything is gone again.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but no success. It's a major inconvenience to have to clear data and relog in every time I want to use the app on the phone.

I really hope you guys might have sound advice on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭mossie

Mac B wrote: »
    Has anyone encountered this problem I've been having the past week. It's the Alexa app on my Samsung 8 phone. When I open it it shows my 2 dots and 1 echo as been offline but they all work fine and are online. My hue lights and smart plugs aren't listed in the app but again all work fine in their own apps and also my Alexa devices turn them on or off as normal. My routines aren't listed but all are also working correctly. It's just the app on my phone with the problem.

If I clear data on the app through the phone settings then open the app I have to log back in (Amazon account and password) then all is back to normal and working correctly. Close the app and try again 2 mins later and everything is gone again.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but no success. It's a major inconvenience to have to clear data and relog in every time I want to use the app on the phone.

Yeah, I've had this a few times. Devices offline in app but actually work perfectly when you speak to them. No idea of a solution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scolly

Anyone know if there is a drayton wiser skill for Alexa
    I can’t find anything in the app

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

61q93e4sl4L.png

Vhi’s Alexa skill

Description

Vhi’s Alexa skill is built to help you unwind before you go to sleep. Choose from one of our relaxing guided mindfulness practices to help calm your mind and get you ready for a good night’s sleep.

To start, say “Alexa, open Vhi” or try “Alexa, ask Vhi to help me wind down

For support using the skill contact appsupport@vhi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Mac B wrote: »
    Has anyone encountered this problem I've been having the past week.  It's the Alexa app on my Samsung 8 phone.   When I open it it shows my 2 dots and 1 echo as been offline but they all work fine and are online.   My hue lights and smart plugs aren't listed in the app but again all work fine in their own apps and also  my Alexa devices  turn them on or off as normal.  My routines aren't listed but all are also working correctly.  It's just the app on my phone with the problem.

If I clear data on the app through the phone settings then open the app I have to log back in (Amazon account and password) then all is back to normal and working correctly.   Close the app and try again 2 mins later and everything is gone again.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but no success.   It's a major inconvenience to have to clear data and relog in every time I want to use the app on the phone.

The app has completely stopped working for me.
    couldn't use it to sign into wifi with new router, sign into spotify account etc.

alexa.amazon.co.uk worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mac B

donegal. wrote: »
    The app has completely stopped working for me.
    couldn't use it to sign into wifi with new router, sign into spotify account etc.

alexa.amazon.co.uk worked fine

Yes I can log in using browser but it's only the app that seems to be the issue. I may try contacting them. Have to wait till tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

kennM wrote: »

Couple of answers:

Hope it helps.

Can option 1 be done with Sonos speakers or only with Alexa devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Can option 1 be done with Sonos speakers or only with Alexa devices?

I'm afraid I don't know... I don't have Sonos so can't check. Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone have the Echo Show 5? Thinking of picking one up during Prime day if they are reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭mossie

Is it me or has Alex become more difficult lately? For example:
    1st go "alexa switch of all the lights" - "there are several items called all the lights"
    2nd go "alexa switch of all the lights" - "I cannot find all the lights"
    3rd go "alexa switch of all the lights" - lights switch off

So three attempts before it gets it right and this happens more often than not.

Advertisement