Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

But reality isn’t calorie for calorie. That isn’t how our bodies work. You can’t compare empty calories to calories that come with a myriad of health benefits. It’s reductive to the point of near redundancy. While someone at high risk of T2 diabetes should avoid juice someone at high risk of kidney stones, vitamin c deficiency or anaemia may well be recommended to incorporate orange juice into their diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

iguana wrote: »
    Worrying about the sugar content in fruit is the very best way to sabotage most people's efforts. People don't just give up fruit, they think "feck it, if fruit is just as bad a Snickers I might as well have the Snickers. If orange juice is as bad as Coke, I might as well have the Coke."
    Wholeheartedly agree with you.
    I get so annoyed when some foods are demonised (chicken skin, I am looking at you) while the factory-made "low this and low that" are promoted and are full of additives, thickening agents and the like.
    iguana wrote: »
    The negative effects of eating lots and lots of fruit are minimal if they even exist outside of tooth acidity (which is easily counteracted). The health benefits are absolutely enormous, not least of which they satisfy the craving for sweet and make reducing or removing processed sugar consumption far easier for most people. Not to mention the massive benefit of eating all the fibre. Honestly, just eat fruit and don't feel bad about it.
    Amen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Did 8km last night running, havent been in a week, was hoping to get more in but it was just too warm.

On the juiced fruit statement and supporting medical journal report supporting the comment that ‘'Calorie for calorie, fruit juice is worse for you than fizzy drinks'’ the topic seems to be getting bogged down and obfuscated to include other points not related to the original point I was making. If you like juice crack away, I love it, but know the effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Got just dance for the switch. Ok it’s not a gym workout but damn it’s fun and I broke enough of a sweat that the Apple Watch picked up a workout. Definitely will be making use of it

Ok weekend overall here considering I had my sons christening and had people in the house all day. Ate a proper breakfast before anyone arrived. Resisted the fry up and scones I made everyone else and had a small bowl of fruit. Brought my own wrap to eat with the finger food and resisted all of the goujons, sausages etc. However I did have a slice of cake in the afternoon, a small burger and chips at dinner and a scone for tea. So I basically got progressively less careful as the day went on.

I keep having to remind myself that this is still better even if not ideal. A year ago I’d have eaten the fry, the hot finger food, the white sandwiches full of butter and mayo and a ton of chips plus several scones. Could have been worse

Edit: oh and I offloaded the epic amount of leftover cake on grandparents and the neighbours kids so couldn’t have more lol

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

After reading people's success stories on here and in the diet forum, I took the plunge and joined slimming world 3 weeks ago. I do the online one because I can't organise child care around the meetings and my toddler would cause havoc.

I'm 10lbs down now in 3 weeks, and really enjoying it. At the weekend I fitted in to a pair of trousers that haven't fitted in years :)

Toots wrote: »
    After reading people's success stories on here and in the diet forum, I took the plunge and joined slimming world 3 weeks ago. I do the online one because I can't organise child care around the meetings and my toddler would cause havoc.

I'm 10lbs down now in 3 weeks, and really enjoying it. At the weekend I fitted in to a pair of trousers that haven't fitted in years :)

That’s just fantastic well done you!!

Can I ask your opinion on the online one? I know they’ve got a different app to the meetings. I’m attending meetings but I’d nearly be willing to fork out for a proper app for my diary until they eventually give us access to the new one

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not sure what app they use for the meetings, but online you get the tracker app where you log your food. It figures out the syns etc for most things, there'd be the very odd thing that isn't in the database but you can use the syn calculator on the website to add it to the app. Then there's a second app which gives you access to the message boards and support bits of the website. This is also the one where you weigh in, and it gives you your awards like the half stone award etc.

What is the tracker app for the meetings like?

Initially when you sign up online, you have to pay upfront for a minimum of 3 months. I actually quite like that, because it's encouraging me to stick with it since I've already committed to it financially. You can also buy the hi-fi snack bars online too. They limit you to 10 boxes every 30 days (although they come in boxes of 5, so you'd want to be fairly horsing into them to eat 10 boxes in 30 days)

Toots wrote: »
    I'm not sure what app they use for the meetings, but online you get the tracker app where you log your food. It figures out the syns etc for most things, there'd be the very odd thing that isn't in the database but you can use the syn calculator on the website to add it to the app. Then there's a second app which gives you access to the message boards and support bits of the website. This is also the one where you weigh in, and it gives you your awards like the half stone award etc.

What is the tracker app for the meetings like?

Initially when you sign up online, you have to pay upfront for a minimum of 3 months. I actually quite like that, because it's encouraging me to stick with it since I've already committed to it financially. You can also buy the hi-fi snack bars online too. They limit you to 10 boxes every 30 days (although they come in boxes of 5, so you'd want to be fairly horsing into them to eat 10 boxes in 30 days)

There’s no app based tracker just the website which I hate (you can save the link to the home screen but it’s still web based) . We do have access to one (link attached) which has an online calculator but I just hate their diary set up

10lbs (4.5kg) in three weeks is unreal fair play to you!! I am counting .5kg in a week as brill.

Havent done my gym routine in nearly 2 weeks due to a weeks holiday, and work commitments. I have been running again, did a 10km last night.

My OH has had a PT the last few months following the birth so my goals have been put on the back burner. On our week off for example she went to the gym each morning and I did all the little one duties then when she got back spent the day sightseeing till bedtime so no time for the gym for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well done Toots 10lbs in 3 weeks is brilliant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bumping this as mentioned in the Christmas chat thread, I've been off the rails from July until 2 weeks ago.

Bumping this if anyone wants some motivation to get back on the wagon until Christmas comes around at least :pac:

Ive been good, down kg since January. Mainly due to traveling and being stuck in a hotel with a gym.

Need to get back in to gear this weekend after a longer than expected time at home and take away each night.

Tempted to set up a Fitbit group either on here or the fitbit app, let me know if there's any appetite here for here.

Here can be done easily as all you'd need to do is post up screens of your steps for the day and I can add them to a table.

Which fitbit is good for hear rate monitoring? May ask Santy for one.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Which fitbit is good for hear rate monitoring? May ask Santy for one.

I've had the charge previously and have the Blaze now, both excellent for HR monitoring, you can really see the difference of the average HR rate after exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    Tempted to set up a Fitbit group either on here or the fitbit app, let me know if there's any appetite here for here.

Here can be done easily as all you'd need to do is post up screens of your steps for the day and I can add them to a table.

I just checked my steps on My Fitness Pal and it seems I sat on the couch an awful lot more than I thought over the weekend. I've done double the steps this morning than I did yesterday and I'm only at 2,509 so far. :pac:

Im at 6,242 so far. Its 14:36 here so I am have some time on you guys. I don't find walking helps me much, I need to be jogging for the flab to disappear. Also 20% exercise 80% diet etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm still plodding away although I haven't weighed myself in a good while now (no weighing scales at home).
    So myself & Mr. CL have just been more organised that we were. We got a new whiteboard & we are planning out all our dinners which is really helping & I'm doing my best to get out at lunch every day for a half hour walk. Don't think it's doing anything for me really fitness wise but it's definitely great for the mental health!

We just need to do a little crack down on the sweet stuff!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm still plodding away although I haven't weighed myself in a good while now (no weighing scales at home).
    So myself & Mr. CL have just been more organised that we were. We got a new whiteboard & we are planning out all our dinners which is really helping & I'm doing my best to get out at lunch every day for a half hour walk. Don't think it's doing anything for me really fitness wise but it's definitely great for the mental health!

We just need to do a little crack down on the sweet stuff!

I cant live without a dinner plan each week, other wise it'd be takeaway central in my house haha.

I need to deffo crack down on the sweet stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Also 20% exercise 80% diet etc etc
    This is definitely (sadly) true.
    CheerLouth wrote: »

Brilliant idea to do it on a whiteboard. That should definitely keep you on track. I love getting out for a walk at lunchtime. I usually manage 40 minutes and it's just great for a bit of headspace and to get away from the office. I'm determined to get out for a walk with my husband in the evening but I find it so difficult to get motivated.

• Advertisement

We do the white board thing too. Track our wee ones food and meals and also plan our meals for the week. Works a treat. I can't wait till the weather improves so we can walk more. I really miss walking in the rain in the woods at home.

*I wrote the above whilst munching down haribo bears which will not make their way to the white board. I am also worried about when my OH eventually opens the new jar of nutella that is unopened except that I have been eating it with a teaspoon and there is barely any left.

So many people on the whiteboard already - how did I not know this was a thing? :o

I actually started ours to try and curb spending on the weekly big shop. I was getting to a point where I'd spent 100 quid on food and was then opening the fridge and going "there's nothing in here for dinner". So now when I do the plan, I buy according to what we have on the plan. It's also been great for clearing out our freezer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My scales must be broken, I feel pretty much at my normal weight & On 2 occasions over the weekend I weighed myself & there was a full 4.5 Lbs between both, I know it can vary depending on time of day etc, but to change bt nearly 5lbs is a tad much for me when I rarely vary more than a lb either way.
    Maybe its time to simply gte stuck in for the christmas run in so I have plenty of room to spoil myself over the break.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Thats over a 2.2kg swing in a day. Strange, I have lost about 2kg in day playing a full game in 40 degrees but I would feel like death and have been on drips after it. Must be the scales. A swing of 1kg a day for me is normal.

I meant to say 10kg, in my earlier post from January. Sadly my five days a home have knocked that back to 8kg so a big run and some weights for me tonight.

Thats over a 2.2kg swing in a day. Strange, I have lost about 2kg in day playing a full game in 40 degrees but I would feel like death and have been on drips after it. Must be the scales. A swing of 1kg a day for me is normal.

I meant to say 10kg, in my earlier post from January. Sadly my five days a home have knocked that back to 8kg so a big run and some weights for me tonight.

Agree, I'd never have a swing that big in such a short amount of time even when I was piling it on back in the day.

Weighed myself again when I woke up this morning & down 2lbs to my normal walking around weight. Gonna keep an eye on it now as I'll be more focused between now & christmas so hoping to get back to my optimum running weight (which means losing 5 lbs) so will lay off the mince pies & quality street until December like I used to do... I broke that golden rule last year but am exercising way less this year so have to hold off on the treats a tad more.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I had 3kg to go a week or two to ago, now its back up to 5kg. Just need to knock the chips on the head.

I had 3kg to go a week or two to ago, now its back up to 5kg. Just need to knock the chips on the head.

Its hard to stay strict I find though, between crazy workload & being busy all the time at home as well its very easy to trip up & indulge.
    We're away for a few days over the October bank holiday weekend & i know I'll be letting myself go a bit there as I'll have a few beers & will be eating out so I'll need to be wary of not letting myself 'over' indulge, its all about moderation I suppose.

The time has come, it's time to step back on the scales on Saturday and just see the damage and how much I need to work on for 2020. I'm feeling determined to be a Christmas Cracker this year! :P

I really need to be as healthy as I can be this year, I need my body to last me many more Christmasses to come!

Well I knew it was a long journey I was starting. I lost 2.5 stone with slimming world and then maintained for the last six months. I lost the motivation to keep losing but managed to sustain which I’m very happy with. Christmas put me back to 2 stone which could be worse.

I’ve just started Noom for this year. Goal is another two stone over the year again. That would bring me to my lowest in over ten years. I’m hoping their focus on wellbeing and not just food will help. So far so good.

I’m also doing a 30 day yoga challenge with Adrienne to kickstart some exercise for the year

So I did it I weighed in for the first time in about 4 Months. I’m up 16lbs which I fully expected and happy about. I’m still 10lbs lighter than my worst so I guess that’s something.

So onwards and downwards. Let’s see what next Saturday will bring.i have all my meals planned for the week so nothing bold and all freshly made meals.

We still do have treats in the house and given the decorations are coming down tomorrow I will definitely be indulging in treats to keep my spirit levels up.

• Advertisement

New series of Operation Transformation starts on Wednesday night on Rte one.

Always a help to keep motivated and get stepping more.

Loughc wrote: »
    So I did it I weighed in for the first time in about 4 Months. I’m up 16lbs which I fully expected and happy about. I’m still 10lbs lighter than my worst so I guess that’s something.

So onwards and downwards. Let’s see what next Saturday will bring.i have all my meals planned for the week so nothing bold and all freshly made meals.

We still do have treats in the house and given the decorations are coming down tomorrow I will definitely be indulging in treats to keep my spirit levels up.

Also just realised I’m 2lbs lighter than I was this time last year lol. Go me haha.

My goal is 8-10kg. I came back from Christmas not too bad but have put on 2kg fairly quickly. Jan is a bit of wash out with work, exams, 1st birthday and 2 sets of parents visiting.

Feb is when I will get my act together.

Been upping by step game since Monday. And I’ve had the most steps in 14 weeks. Got over 10k alone today and yesterday due to walks with the dog and lots and lots of house work.

I am struggling getting to work at 7:15 and leaving about the same time but pm, trying to get my excuses in early.

I have put on more weight since being home than I did over Christmas. I now need to loose about 10kg.

My OH designed a circuit in our back garden with kettle bells which we did three days ago, I am still limping from it, stupid leg day.

I need to get back in the gym but I also want to see my little one at least once a day.

My solution is to be out of bed by 5am, get a work out in, see the wee one at about 6.30am before I leave for work as its likely she will be asleep when I get home.

9 days in and despite New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day being write offs I’m still down about 3lbs which I’m delighted by. Just have to keep it up now. Slow and steady from now on

9 days in and despite New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day being write offs I’m still down about 3lbs which I’m delighted by. Just have to keep it up now. Slow and steady from now on

That’s fantastic!!! Well done and well done on being 9 days in that’s the hardest part!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Well done everyone who has kicked off already. Today is the start for me. I don't really weigh myself much and use about 4/5 items of clothing as a guide to where I am at. Tried them all on last night (only 2 kinda fit-very snug!) so lots to do. Going to focus on diet more as workout time is always limited, like Jude will probably try to get up earlier and do it before work when possible.

Keep it up guys and the lets keep each other motivated.

I'm obviously going to be going the opposite of everyone else and putting the weight on :P But I read something the other day that really stuck with me - it's a challenge to spend 1000 hours outside over the course of the year so I've decided that I will try this - I'm not going to count the hours because I don't have time for that, but I am going to try get out every day, even on the really muck days like today, even if it's just for 20 mins!

And also eat more vegetables - going to try to do a vegetarian meal once a week now. I have been halfheartedly doing it for a while (Mr. CL protests a lot) but defo going to try to do it more often!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have definitely put on some weight over the holidays, I have yet to weigh myself but will do so on Wednesday :eek: It's not going to be pretty but I have a plan, let's see how it goes.

I did an 8km jog last night, very slowly as I had to stretch every 1.5km ish. Woke at 5.00am and tried to meditate (Im new to it) using the free trial on headspace. I should have got up and gone down stairs to do it as I kept nodding off.

Did some kettle bell shoulder exercises from 5:30am to 6am, nothing strenuous just activating my shoulder as its still sore an jerky from my surgery last year. Not enough to sweat, especially as it was cold outside this morning. My OH made me a spinach and cheese omelette and I have egg white scrambled eggs* for my 9 or 10am snack.

*TLDR made tagliatelle carbonara with pancetta and parmesan, to make up for it I got up early and did some token exercise.

Managed 25k on the turbotrainer last night as I couldn't face going out for a run, sweat was dropping off me & I'm doing far more waling too & I've managed now to put 3 days of nothing but breakfast, lunch & dinner together (no junk or snacking basically) and we've managed to get rid of most of the treats now so its just a case of keeping it going now.
    Not gonna weigh myself until Saturday to see if a week or so will have any impact. my slimfit work shirts are still fitting me okay so I suspect the damage isnt as bad as first feared.

DvB I find that is the hardest part, the not eating bar the three main meals. I have in the past had 6-7 small meals throughout the day and lost a tonne of weight but I was training like a mad man (pre kids). Best of luck with the no snacks.

I have a boat party this Friday at noon which ends at 7:30pm.....there will be some empty calories taken.

DvB I find that is the hardest part, the not eating bar the three main meals. I have in the past had 6-7 small meals throughout the day and lost a tonne of weight but I was training like a mad man (pre kids). Best of luck with the no snacks.

Much easier when in work as I'm so busy so basically function on coffee from breakfast at 6.30am until lunch at 1pm, same then until I get home & have dinner at 6.30/7.00pm... I always find if I can avoid eating anything after dinner it has a huge impact on weight loss, its a hard habit to form, but once it is, happy days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have a boat party this Friday at noon which ends at 7:30pm.....there will be some empty calories taken.
    The best kind of calories. :pac:

• Advertisement

It's my post dinner snacks that get me too. Eggs each moring, oats if I was trainng as well as the eggs, too much coffee, I need to knock it on the head, meat and veg for lunch, healthy dinner. All seems good, until you through in the lindt mint chocolate and the whole family size humus or quinoa chips that I will smash later.

I plan on doing something about it but I just need to get this month out of the way. Had a meeting with a global equity partner that ran late and as I was hoping in to the car he asked me to go for a beer with him. That's three pints on a Tuesday night.

It's my post dinner snacks that get me too. Eggs each moring, oats if I was trainng as well as the eggs, too much coffee, I need to knock it on the head, meat and veg for lunch, healthy dinner. All seems good, until you through in the lindt mint chocolate and the whole family size humus or quinoa chips that I will smash later.

I plan on doing something about it but I just need to get this month out of the way. Had a meeting with a global equity partner that ran late and as I was hoping in to the car he asked me to go for a beer with him. That's three pints on a Tuesday night.

I'm lucky insofar that January is a quiet month socially so I'll probably go the entire month without going near a beer, once all the christmas treats are gone (nearly all are now) we'll not buy anything else to replace them so it should be a healthy enough month. Throw in the exercise and hopefully I'll be back to normal by the end of the month.

I'm meant to get going out on Friday, we made plans ages ago with Neighbours and I was hoping they would fall through by now... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I miss Christmas :( Winter is the absolute worst time of year at work, and those few weeks in December made it tolerable!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I miss Christmas :( Winter is the absolute worst time of year at work, and those few weeks in December made it tolerable!

I absolutely hear you brother. Christmas is absolutely the shining light during Winter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement