Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed calls from My Number ?

Options
  • 03-06-2021 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on here but I am getting calls from a number of people in Ireland saying they have missed calls from me ?
    One happened this morning and the phone was beside me all morning and no calls where made by me.
    How could someone be calling from my phone without my physical phone ?
    Could my phone have been cloned ?
    Thoughts ?
    3 people have called me back in the past two weeks.
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on here but I am getting calls from a number of people in Ireland saying they have missed calls from me ?
    One happened this morning and the phone was beside me all morning and no calls where made by me.
    How could someone be calling from my phone without my physical phone ?
    Could my phone have been cloned ?
    Thoughts ?
    3 people have called me back in the past two weeks.
    :confused:

Are the people that are saying that they are getting calls from you people that you know?

People could be making calls that appear to be from your phone number without cloning your phone.

If you google cheap international phone calls you'll find plenty of services that provide cheap calls using VOIP. Voice Over Internet Protocol .

VOIP doesn't have a phone number in the traditional sense. Internally a VOIP number could be username@nameofcompany.ie

These cheap international VOIP call services can make a call but not receive a call. However you can allocate a number to be displayed on the person
    receiving the calls handset. E.g 087-1234567

The idea is that you allocate a number to that account that you legitimately have access to.

It's possible that somebody with a similar phone number to you misconfigured their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Are the people that are saying that they are getting calls from you people that you know?

People could be making calls that appear to be from your phone number without cloning your phone.

If you google cheap international phone calls you'll find plenty of services that provide cheap calls using VOIP. Voice Over Internet Protocol .

VOIP doesn't have a phone number in the traditional sense. Internally a VOIP number could be username@nameofcompany.ie

These cheap international VOIP call services can make a call but not receive a call. However you can allocate a number to be displayed on the person
    receiving the calls handset. E.g 087-1234567

The idea is that you allocate a number to that account that you legitimately have access to.

It's possible that somebody with a similar phone number to you misconfigured their account.

The numbers are unknown to me so I couldn't dial them. There's also no record on my bill for these calls .

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

The numbers are unknown to me so I couldn't dial them. There's also no record on my bill for these calls .

This has also happened to a few people I know in the last couple of days, there's something going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Resurfacing this as I did a search. For the last few months I get around 3 calls a week from people saying that they've missed a call from my number. I know it's some sort of number spoofing but what's the purpose of someone doing it? What's the scam? Am I at risk of anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jake frost

Same problem here. in the past week I have had calls from 3 Irish phone numbers saying that they received missed calls from me, They seemed genuine when I spoke to them, but these numbers were unknown to me and I definitly didnt call them. Furthermore some friends have said that they rang my number and it rang out, however I never received any missed call call from them or text message saying I had missed a call. Im with Virgin Mobile...Its a bit weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sth_safal

Same is happening to me as well. Three calls so far in last 2 weeks. I am with 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Twice yesterday.

Took the cover off my phone because I thought it was something wrong with phone.

The people who rang back seemed totally genuine.

There is also no outgoing calls to those numbers, I just checked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I got a missed call this morning from an 087 number. It went to my voice mail an automated recording telling me that all my bank accounts were going to be frozen unless I took immediate action.

Scam on a hijacked number ...ignore!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It's Calling Line Identification Spoofing (“CLI”) – when the number calling you, as displayed on your screen, has been faked by a scammer and appears to be a call from a genuine number.

I don't think you as the spoofed number can do anything, but anyone on the receiving end could report the matter to the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I got one of those automated scam calls “ your Amazon account is going to be suspended unless you pay 17.99”. As I don’t have an Amazon account I just hung up and blocked the number. An hour later I got a call from a lad in Mayo saying he had a missed call from me. I spoke to him and he was kosher. Got 3 further similar calls within 48 hours.

Definitely something going on, but I can’t figure out what the scam is.

• Advertisement

Re scam calls / texts, I once sent myself a timed scam text just for the lesson on how to actually do it, then got interrupted by something more pressing going on, later the scam text came through and I was raging, having briefly forgotten I had initiated it myself 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They're just displaying random numbers to make their calls seen from Ireland. ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Im getting the same issue here. Random people ringing me saying they have a missed call from me but theres no record on my phone of it and its definitely happening when my phone is untouched charging in the house here. They all seem genuine, all irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That's exactly what happening. These scam calls that have been doing the rounds for the last couple of years are spoofing the caller ID with random mobile numbers. Blocking the number is pointless because they'll just use another one and you're blocking someone who had nothing to do with it. If you're getting calls from people saying that they missed a call from you when you didn't make one, chances are that your number was spoofed in one of these scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Had 2 missed calls this week myself and returned both of them (as I was expecting calls so thought they might be important).

Returned Call 1 after about 2 minutes: Some guy with a Dublin accent said "No, that wasnt me bud".

Returned Call 2 after about 10 minutes: A girl answered saying people have been saying this to her all week and that she didnt call me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Have had three calls since last week of the same nature. All seemed genuine looking to know why I called them.

One fella in particular got quite aggressive with me stating I definitely called him. Had to try and explain call spoofing and he continued to tell me I rang him and to tell him why so I just told him to piss off and hung up in the end.

Pain in the hoop. I doubt changing my number (which would be painful and annoying) would even work as this seems to just be random

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Still seems to be happening, I got two of these calls last week. Luckily they didn't react like yer man that called you @Necro !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Well now we know that is an active account as you rang back.

If they want be they can leave a message as i might not know the number and who they wanted.

Spoofed numbers are a real pain in the hole, and worst of all having an aggressive recipient not understanding that phone number spoofing is a thing. There really needs to be a public education program regarding these matters so people might actually have some grasp of how these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The surprising thing to me, is the amount of people who seem to call back in response to numbers they don't recognise. If I get a missed call from a number I don't know and they don't leave a message - then it's more their problem than mine.... i'm not going to call back and see what they wanted.

I know it could be from Lotto HQ to tell me I have a big win, but I am willing to take that chance :)

• Advertisement

thanks all, I have a better undestanding now and can at least respond differently to those odd calls should they happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Got a call last week from someone saying I rang them. Didn’t think much of it til I saw this topic. This will be annoying if it’s a regular thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The phone companies in Ireland are not doing jack to fix it.

Some complaints to comreg might get the regulators interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

I have had this issue now for about 3 months. usually get a handfull of calls from genuine folks saying missed call from me. Then it stops for a couple of weeks and returns again. Appears to be no fix at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Tried that a few years ago... I raised an official complaint with Comreg. They 'investigated' and then replied to say that the calls were originating from outside the state, so there was nothing they could do. I then asked if they would raise the matter at the next international conference they might attend..... and I never got a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Surely they can prevent or restrict foreign VoIP vendors from sending an Irish number in their caller ID. While it may not prevent the calls, it would make people much more wary if the call was private or had an international number on it.

Even an awareness campaign. This specific type of issue has never gotten mentioned during other campaigns afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RJellybean

I've been getting calls from people saying they had missed calls from me for the last 7-8 months. It settles down for a few weeks and then i'll get a few calls or some abusive texts.

I actually just got a text a few moments ago from an older person saying they couldn't afford what I was asking for and can't remember ever having a vodafone account. She sent me a lot of personal data, I messaged her back, letting her know its a scam and told her to block my number. I did tell her to let me know if she needs help doing that. She thanked me for letting her know so I'm hoping she has blocked me.

I hate to think someone could lose money cos they answered a phone call from my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I had one of those. Apparently he had 2 missed calls from me. I never, ever rang him and tried to explain it was likely a scam and just got dog's abuse from him. Had to just block his number.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Just a "me too" started just over a week ago...

Advertisement