Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed calls from My Number ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Yes it happened to someone I know too lately, got missed calls from 2 different mobile numbers and when returned got two bewildered oul fellas saying it's the 5th callback they've gotten even tho they rang no one.

Think scammers use it to ring you by just spoofing a number. I assume because people would be more inclined to answer it than the old obvious scam numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I've started getting them again, three this week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Just an update on this, got another call today and when talking to the lady she said her brother's name is the same as mine (my voicemail has my name recorded).

Wonder is this a co-incidence.

Also I assumed that their phones don't ring, that they just get a message of a missed call, but she said her phone did ring but she didn't get to it. Makes me think that's how the scam might work somehow, when they answer is it a spoof Revolut call or something using my number? (I've been getting those as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The name is just coincidence. Of course the scammers want to talk to people. The recorded scam message is left because it's all automated. They use random mobile nunbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

I've had a couple of calls to my landline (yes, I still have one of those!) from people outside the country saying they are returning my call. Or at least they say they are. One was a French speaker from Belgium, the other was from Germany. I explained in my best Franglais and GastArbeiterDeutsch that I had not called them and they were being scammed.

(hint: Das ist ein Betrug and C'est une arnaque are the German and French respectively for That is a scam)

The German caller (yesterday) immediately took my explanation, apologised and rang off. The Belgian caller just seemed to get angry. With me.

If it's just a nuisance thent that's one thing but if I am leaving myself open to pecuniary fraud, that's another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Unfortunately people don't understand the fact that you can get a call from a number that's entirely made up and spoofing a genuine number. I had a number of calls from an Irish guy threatening to 'call the guards' and so on because he received calls from my mobile number trying to scam him.

I calmly explained that the calls were not from my number and the caller ID he was seeing is clearly fake and he just got angrier and angrier. You can't really talk to stupid. I just hung up on him and blocked his number.

Advertisement