Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here we go again - Leinster OSC 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

for open water swims is it just turn up on the day? or do you have to be registered?

You have to be registered with a swimming club plus registered with swim ireland through your club, its all for insurance purposes.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I dont think either of those races were anywhere near those distances. I think they are all supposed to be 1500m upwards but when you see good swimmers completing the courses in 13-14 minutes it shows are short they are. Portmarnock was admittedly a bit longer but i think overall the races are too short. If you are making the effort to give up a couple of hours at the weekend you may as well get a good swim.

Of course if you are an average swimmer like me you do get better value for your €10!

Yeah agreed, but I suppose its a sickner for those on high handicaps and getting nowhere, but it was supposed to be geared towards the weaker swimmers this year as alot of faster swimmers won alot last year. What are you off at Seaswimmer? A few on high handicaps got up on Sundays race. Well done to Eastern bay for winning team prize.

This was the distance for Sundays race, the buoys are normally placed up at High Rock Portmarnock...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4591996

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

mad m wrote: »
    Yeah agreed, but I suppose its a sickner for those on high handicaps and getting nowhere, but it was supposed to be geared towards the weaker swimmers this year as alot of faster swimmers won alot last year. What are you off at Seaswimmer? A few on high handicaps got up on Sundays race. Well done to Eastern bay for winning team prize.

usually off around the 1.30 minute mark. I suppose every race is different. Sometimes the handicapper handicaps for a 1500m race and if it turns out to be only 1100 or 1200 metres then all the go/pre go people have a good chance.
    Alternatively sometimes he handicaps for a 1500m race when it is actually 1500m or more and may be rough and may have a current against the swimmers. In this case all the strong swimmers/high handicaps have plenty of time to catch everyone.

i suppose the only person nearly always guaranteed a prize is the fastest swimmer but that will never be me..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

Might be a K to walk between - but as the crow flies swimmer swims it's around 500.

I see my link re: route was not working - corrected link

It must longer than 500 meters from the first yellow buoy off Seapoint to the 5th one at Windsurfers surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

Yeah agreed, but I suppose its a sickner for those on high handicaps and getting nowhere, but it was supposed to be geared towards the weaker swimmers this year as alot of faster swimmers won alot last year.

It's a bloody tough job the handicapper has and he'll never please everybody, as a general rule, up until this year(I haven't done any races this year yet so I can't comment) it seems that the shorter races(under 20 minutes or approx 1-1.2 km) favour the early swimmers as the later swimmers just don't have enough time to catch up, at times there can be swimmers turning the 2nd buoy before scratch.

But on the swims around 30mins, 1.5k + favour the later swimmers as fitness levels & endurance speed come into play. All in all I think from my experiences it's a fairly good mix!!

Now......can I go a minute earlier please??:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I just realised that the Island is the real deal this year. Definitely going to have to do it.

From the Swim Leinster Site:
    The Island Swim 25 June 2011
    Important Notice from Clontarf SC
    The Island swim will be starting this year from the beach on Irelands Eye.
    Please make note of the following important times
    Registration 4-5pm (Registration closes at 5pm sharp)
    Boats leave Howth 5.15pm
    Race starts on Irelands Eye at 6pm
    Entry fee €20
    This year is the 81st running of the Island race and the Capital D TV programme will be filming this year's race.
    The post- race reception and prize-giving will be held in Howth Yacht Club.
    The Island race is a male only race

I just realised that the Island is the real deal this year. Definitely going to have to do it.

From the Swim Leinster Site:
    The Island Swim 25 June 2011
    Important Notice from Clontarf SC
    The Island swim will be starting this year from the beach on Irelands Eye.
    Please make note of the following important times
    Registration 4-5pm (Registration closes at 5pm sharp)
    Boats leave Howth 5.15pm
    Race starts on Irelands Eye at 6pm
    Entry fee €20
    This year is the 81st running of the Island race and the Capital D TV programme will be filming this year's race.
    The post- race reception and prize-giving will be held in Howth Yacht Club.
    The Island race is a male only race

According to madm's vey useful pedometer link above this comes in at 2150metres approx assuming we finish at balscadden beach. Thats not even allowing for the tide. A tough swim in prospect!!

Well from past experiences this wont start from the beach, it starts 100 meters from the beach, as you jump from the boat. Bring a bin liner with you as its great comfort over you when your going out in the boat, its to cover your top half:D

Edit:Oops, they are saying its starting from the beach...hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

Well from past experiences this wont start from the beach, it starts 100 meters from the beach, as you jump from the boat. Bring a bin liner with you as its great comfort over you when your going out in the boat, its to cover your top half:D

Edit:Oops, they are saying its starting from the beach...hmmm

Yes confirmed by Brian over the weekend. Its from the beach. This will make it 2500k to Balscadden. Weather looks ok. Its great to have this classic course back on the calendar.

• Advertisement

Yes confirmed by Brian over the weekend. Its from the beach. This will make it 2500k to Balscadden. Weather looks ok. Its great to have this classic course back on the calendar.

Lovely....Your handicap will go up a bit so don't be surprised....

All things going well it'll be my first Island race, handicaps only given out on the boat?

All things going well it'll be my first Island race, handicaps only given out on the boat?

Good luck with your first Island. Its the best of them all.

Lovely....Your handicap will go up a bit so don't be surprised....

Oh I see...Mad M eh?....better be nice to you. You looked fetching in your new rubber suit ..er ...wet suit last week. Am I correct?:rolleyes:

Oh I see...Mad M eh?....better be nice to you. You looked fetching in your new rubber suit ..er ...wet suit last week. Am I correct?:rolleyes:

Hehe....

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

I thought they were penguin suits? :D

Is the Carrig race going ahead?

Is the Carrig race going ahead?

I know its a bit late, but it did go ahead.It was a nice race, it was actually warmer in than out of the water:D...

What a great day on Saturday for the Island swim, personally it could of done with one more buoy in the middle somewhere as I had to stop a couple of times to correct myself. But all in all a great race and well done to Seamus Stacey (off at 10mins) to catch Gerry Dunne at last buoy (hard luck Gerry).

Here is link to more or less what the course was on the day...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4605551

Also it was a pity that todays race couldnt go ahead because not enough boats.....

yeah it was a pity about todays race but safety first. Some bad cases of hypothermia yesterday at the island. Swimmers could do worse than pack a 2 euro foil blanket in their swim bag for those that suffer the cold. Great race though fantastic course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

Is it just me or are the Carraig masters results a bit off?

Yeah they're the the Eastern Bay Portmarnock swim, not Carraig Masters. Hopefully last weekend's swim results go up online over the weekend.

Could be a query about first place as I think it was a dead heat at Carraig race....But they went ahead with prize giving anyway and awarded first place to Kevin Murphy of Glenalbyan...Well done Kevin.

Could be a query about first place as I think it was a dead heat at Carraig race....But they went ahead with prize giving anyway and awarded first place to Kevin Murphy of Glenalbyan...Well done Kevin.

well then that was the refs decision no need for a further query. Wrong results posted for Carrig race.

well then that was the refs decision no need for a further query. Wrong results posted for Carrig race.

I've seen stuff overuled before even after a result. Seen it happen last year. Just could be whoever puts up the results is on holidays and someone is not familiar with how to do it and done it wrong...

Garda Race cancelled due to lack of boat cover. Bummer

Where did you hear this. i havent heard anything yet...

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Where did you hear this. i havent heard anything yet...

Got a text from Dave at 4pm. Asked me to pass on. Its also on the Leinster FB page
    Dublin SC going ahead on Sunday so we will get a run out anyway

Ah rats...Gutted...Got text around 4pm also.....aghhh....I think its to do with the Tail ships in Waterford, the Civil Defense did say at safety meeting that they might not be able to cover a race due to this.....

• Advertisement

Correct Carraig Masters results up online now.

Advertisement