Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here we go again - Leinster OSC 2011

Options
  • 02-06-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

2 days to the Docklands, thought I'd start a thread for the Summer to discuss races, contorversies etc.

Docklands should be a good start to the season - weather promised warm.

Hopefully the weather will last for the race on Sunday in Sandycove

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah looking forward to it,

I was at the safety meeting last night, going to be a couple of changes. Swim Ireland have said that there has to be at least 3 boats (Civil Defense)or someone manning the boats qualified like the Civil defense present when a races is being held, otherwise Swim Irelands Insurance will not be valid. If there are only two boats its up to the Club organising the race to either say its a GO or a NO. But here is the catch, none of the swimmers will get points or on that particular race will it go towards qualification the Liffey/Dun Laoghaire swims...

Couple of other things but I think they will be mentioned on the day of each race...

Goodluck to all and have a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

I heard that the Liffey race will finish at a different spot this year - not sure if that means the start will be different too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

best of luck to all the sea swimmers this season, have to miss this season due to injury, hoping to get a few dips in the sea over the coming weeks and get back into training in the Autumn. Will miss the swims this summer, in particular Wicklow, Bray, Liffey & 3k in Wicklow which i really enjoyed last year.

Safe swimming to all.

Secman

PBPumpkin wrote: »
    I heard that the Liffey race will finish at a different spot this year - not sure if that means the start will be different too?

I think the finish will be a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

good luck tomorrow everyone

if someone would be looking for race calendar for Leinster follow the link bellow
    LeinsterOpenSeaRaces2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

hi im currently doing my leaving cert this year but would be interested in starting sea swimming afterwards as id like to swim in the liffey swim this year..
    it says that you have to compete in 5 races and be a member of a swimming club.. do clubs train aften and on what nights.
    Could anyone recommend a club closest to Ashbourne Co. Meath?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

Well there's a couple in the Blanchardstown area, Coolmine, NAC, St. Pauls. You could try those clubs and register.

Or if you check www.swimireland.ie I'm fairly sure you can register unattached to any club.

And just because you register to a club doesn't mean you have to train with them. Try the Irish Long Distance Swimming Association, you can register to them online and they will sort out all the Swim Ireland stuffs for you. http://www.ildsa.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=11&Itemid=9

How did the Docklands swim today go? I'm raging I missed it, love swimming in the Liffey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

How did the Docklands swim today go? I'm raging I missed it, love swimming in the Liffey!

nice swim. Crowd seemed a bit down on last year but still well over 100 for the men. About 1200m i would say. Up towards matt talbot bridge, across the river then a long hard leg down to a buoy beyond the new Sam Beckett bridge. Got fairly hectic at the last buoy when there seemed to be a lot of swimmers together with the faster swimmers coming through. Finished at the stern of the Jeanie Johnson.

Thanks seaswimmer, there's a video posted on youtube with the swims on them, well clips anyway.
    Men's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BdJkz7iHf8
    Women's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2G2o-D_qpo&feature=related[

Makes me miss being there even more, looks a cracking day. Results are already up online, fair play that's quick. Handicaps seem tougher down the scratch end of things?

• Advertisement

The first of the Windsurfers swims is on Saturday - hopefully we'll get the weather for it!

The first of the Windsurfers swims is on Saturday - hopefully we'll get the weather for it!

Yeah, I like windsurfers and seapoint. The presentation for any prizes is in Goggins Pub across road, monkstown. The pub is putting on a BBQ special for swimmers at 2 euro a burger, so come along and get one...

What you off at PBPumpkin.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

I heard that there was a 3 Dip swim arranged afterwards to raise funds for Cancer Research - anyone have more details about this?

Finelli wrote: »
    I heard that there was a 3 Dip swim arranged afterwards to raise funds for Cancer Research - anyone have more details about this?

This is being arranged by the ILDSA, its at 3pm and its to do with Ger Carty Channel attempt to raise funds for Cancer Research..Entry is 10euro,Seapoint,40ft,Killiney beach....Buses orgainsed by Dublin mini coaches to bring swimmers to the above destinations.

There's something about the return to Windsurfer's, it's like going home I guess!

After missing the first two weekends due to Pool Comps I'm going to miss this weekend also, I'm doing my first 10km in Rome this weekend!

So I just have to wait til next weekend for one of the best weekends of swimming. Friday @ Windsurfers, Saturday my 1st Island race(I'm not counting last years one) and Killiney on Sunday......delicious!

A 10k in Rome - sounds great - where did you find out about that?

There's something about the return to Windsurfer's, it's like going home I guess!

After missing the first two weekends due to Pool Comps I'm going to miss this weekend also, I'm doing my first 10km in Rome this weekend!

So I just have to wait til next weekend for one of the best weekends of swimming. Friday @ Windsurfers, Saturday my 1st Island race(I'm not counting last years one) and Killiney on Sunday......delicious!

Killiney was a tough one last week, never before have I swallowed so much sea water...:D

Goodluck with the 10k, you doing pre-qualify for the channel?

A 10k in Rome - sounds great - where did you find out about that?

It's the 3rd leg of the LEN European Cup, the cup series that Chris Bryan is leading.

I've never done a 10k before so it's a learning experience swim and also with half an eye on maybe doing them for major championships going forward.

Good stuff- outa my league though - you must be a flyer!!

Nope, freestyler.......I'll get my coat.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BillieBob

Hey,

As someone looking to maybe try an openwater swim, how do I find out how long each of the races are? I don't want to aim for a swim and then find out on the day it's 3k!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

Some races have a good description on either event website or club website, if you can't find enough information on-line contact numbers are always provided so just give them a ring and ask about distance

Most of the Swimleinster swims are in or around 1500/1800meters, there are maybe 5 or more over 2k, Eddie Heron 2.5k,Tommy Dorgan 5k,Carraig masters have a 3k from wicklow harbour, Dun Laoghaire harbour swim 2.2k, Liffey swim 2.2k, I think Liffey might be a bit longer this year . There is also lough Dan on the calender, which are going to be 5 & 10K swims.

Lovely swim on Saturday in Windsurfers - well done to Templeogue for organising a great race & for the presentation afterwards!

BTW, the race was 1500m long according to the route map.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I don't think it is 1.5K looking at the times and the [URL="URL for this route is: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4590390"]route [/URL].

I looked up distance from Windsurfers to Seapoint on that site, it's saying around 550m.
    Surely it's longer than that?

I thought it was more like 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Might be a K to walk between - but as the crow flies swimmer swims it's around 500.

I see my link re: route was not working - corrected link

Lovely swim on Saturday in Windsurfers - well done to Templeogue for organising a great race & for the presentation afterwards!

BTW, the race was 1500m long according to the route map.

Yeah for some reason the two bouys in distance should have been further apart...??

The race on Sunday was lovely also, a shame a couple of people got stung. Someone said it was 2k but think it was just shy of it, did well but got clobbered by faster swimmers at last bouy and lost my momentum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

mad m wrote: »
    Yeah for some reason the two bouys in distance should have been further apart...??

The race on Sunday was lovely also, a shame a couple of people got stung. Someone said it was 2k but think it was just shy of it, did well but got clobbered by faster swimmers at last bouy and lost my momentum...

I dont think either of those races were anywhere near those distances. I think they are all supposed to be 1500m upwards but when you see good swimmers completing the courses in 13-14 minutes it shows are short they are. Portmarnock was admittedly a bit longer but i think overall the races are too short. If you are making the effort to give up a couple of hours at the weekend you may as well get a good swim.

Of course if you are an average swimmer like me you do get better value for your €10!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

for open water swims is it just turn up on the day? or do you have to be registered?

Advertisement