Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live TV games

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

I did. Was watching it until the Mayo Galway game started. Not everyone would know how to do this however. Just think its odd that a 32 county body like the GAA would allow its TV coverage to be determined by the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

Why would the GAA want to put it on rte news for free? Would totally undermine the GAAGo product.

I think the point is though that the border has now determined how you can watch a GAA game. If a game is on RTE or TG4 its blocked on GAA Go on an all island basis which is ok by me. Whats happened with Monaghan v Armagh has set a new precedent IMO.

Of course it's OK with you that games shown on RTE or TG4 are blocked on GAAGo because they're available to you for free elsewhere.

I've just logged into GAAGo there. The Monaghan Armagh game wasn't blocked anywhere. So a 32 county organisation has the same rules for me as it does for someone in Armagh.

The difference is that on behalf of those living in Armagh and the other five counties the BBC have decided to purchase the rights on their behalf. And what the BBC decide to do with those rights is their own business.

I know people have mentioned the 12 euro a game but the season ticket is savage value. Was 59 for the introductory offer. 79 now and I got 10% off with my gaa membership.

The reality is that there will always be people who want something for nothing but I think they're well catered for with five games on free to air TV this weekend.

Don’t think that people wanting something for nothing is what’s at issue here. I’m not from Monaghan, so what’s happened with that game isn’t affecting me. Monaghan supporters had no choice but to pay to watch while Armagh supporters didn’t. This amounts to unequal treatment IMO.

Yes, the season ticket is great value. Think €12 a game is a bit much though.

• Advertisement

The season ticket is great value but you said you watched it for free via a vpn earlier...

It's exactly people wanting something for nothing.

Yep, used a VPN and will continue to do so. Not sure if you’re seeing my point though. Up to now everyone on the island watched a game on RTE, TG4, Sky etc and either paid to watch or saw it for free as one body of fans. Whether you were in the RoI or NI it didn’t matter. The GAA by allowing games on the iPlayer have changed this. I don’t think it’s a good thing going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Watched the Monaghan Armagh game on GAAGO, didn't have any replays (would have been handy for the Began lockout mistake) rather had the GAAGO cut away either side of the presumed replay on the BBC feed. Lazy stuff, why not have the replay? I know this thread is the live tv one but the email from GAAGO saying their app isint ready but sure look it it'll be ready in a week or two. You had since you know July to sort. It's their own business but have said no thanks to 7 million from sky with the added comfort of zero production costs and can't get the app together for their second most important competition...

I do get your point. You don't think you should have to subscribe to GAAGo to watch certain matches just because they're covered by the TV licence fee in another jurisdiction.

And you're up to now example is untrue. Until eir folded a large number of people were not able to access games broadcast by eir because they wouldn't provide access to their channels to Virgin Media customers. In the past games would be broadcast that people couldn't access even if they wanted to pay for them. Tonight anybody who wanted to watch Monaghan V Armagh could.

There'd probably be uproar from half the community up north if the BBC were showing GAA on either BBC NI one or two on a Saturday night. The people at the BBC wanting to cater for all communities have come up with a reasonable solution of providing more GAA coverage for those who are interested by putting it on their iPlayer. Jamie Bryson and co can still watch Strictly or Casualty to their hearts content.

So I think it's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The point is all fans should be treated equally either everyone pays or no one pays. Why should some one in cullaville in armagh get to watch it for free while some one who lives in the same cullaville parish which is also in monaghan has to pay €12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's not up to the GAA. All they could do is not allow BBC any games at all.

They are 2 different countries whether we like it or not.

Lots of things regarding TV is different. We can watch 3pm English soccer and the English can't. We have different streaming rights. London is the 15th biggest Irish "county" by population and yet RTE player is region locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just for clarity.

Strictly runs from September to December so no clash with GAA and Casualty starts around 9pm so it would not have clashed either.

I actually have no idea what's on BBC 1 or 2 Saturday night this time of year

I was being facetious. The point is that the BBC bought the rights on behalf of their licence fee payers and if they want to stick it on the player that's up to them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But the boarder exists whether you like it or not. That is the reality.

Anyway the other reality is Ballybofey is a fortress great win by Tir Connell.

I also realise now that the Dubs seem to have fallen further behind div1 level.

Looking at the div1 teams I think Dublin would really struggle against most of them. Kerry - Tyrone - Donegal - Mayo - Galway- Monaghan. Maybe even Armagh still. That is my reality check

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am not sure if this counts as a ‘live TV game’. But it was streamed live by TG4 on YouTube. Cork v Meath div2 r1

I think that sort of thing is the way forward. The Sunday Game can be way too bloated with so many matches to cover. Sometimes you might see a team only get 2/3 minutes of highlights hurling or football.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

With so many game son live now, might be an idea to post the full line up each weekend, ill start 😊

Saturday

• 12.30pm: St Brendan’s Killarney v Summerhill College Sligo, Hogan Cup semi-final – TG4 YouTube.
    • 2.15pm: Omagh CBS v Naas CBS, Hogan Cup semi-final – TG4 YouTube.
    • 4.30pm: Dublin v Mayo, Division 1 Ladies Football League – TG4.
    • 5pm: Kerry v Armagh, Allianz Football League – RTÉ 2.
    • 7pm: Mayo v Tyrone, Allianz Football League – TG4.

Sunday

• 12.30pm: Donegal v Galway, Allianz Football League – TG4.
    • 2pm: Monaghan v Roscommon, Allianz Football League – TG4 app and tg4.ie.
    • 2pm: Kildare v Derry, Allianz Football League – BBC iPlayer.
    • 2.30pm: Galway v Limerick, Allianz Hurling League – TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Saturday 4 March

Armagh v Donegal 7.30pm - TG4

Derry v Dublin, Celtic Park, 5pm - RTÉ2 / RTÉ Player

Sunday 5 March

Galway v Monaghan, Pearse Stadium, 12.45pm - TG4 deferred

Tyrone v Kerry 12.45pm - TG4

Roscommon v Mayo 2.45pm - TG4

Cavan v Down 2pm - BBC iPlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Cavan v Down 2pm - BBC iPlayer

ffs, I see now that this was also on GAAgo

Still, its a pity that anyone looking to see a non Div1/ 2 game has to rely on the british licence payer to send a TV crew out to cover their game (but good that the BBC is now getting some league games nevertheless)

These are the games for the next 2 weeks (taken from GAAgo and added the irish broadcaster myself)

Saturday 11th Mar 19:15 (Irish time)
    Tipperary V Waterford (TG4)
    Allianz Hurling League Division 1B

Sunday 12th Mar 13:00 (Irish time)
    Antrim V Laois (BBC)

Sunday 12th Mar 13:45 (Irish time)
    Kilkenny V Dublin (TG4)

Sunday 12th Mar 13:45 (Irish time)
    Clare V Galway (TG4)
    Allianz Hurling League Division 1A

Sunday 12th Mar 15:45 (Irish time)
    Cork V Wexford (TG4)
    Allianz Hurling League Division 1A

Saturday 18th Mar 15:00 (Irish time)
    Meath V Dublin (RTÉ)
    Allianz Football League Division 2

Saturday 18th Mar 17:00 (Irish time)
    Armagh V Galway (RTÉ)
    Allianz Football League Division 1

Saturday 18th Mar 19:30 (Irish time)
    Kerry V Roscommon (TG4)

Sunday 19th Mar 
    Derry V Clare (BBC)
    Allianz Football League Division 2

Sunday 19th Mar 15:45 (Irish time)
    Donegal V Mayo (TG4)

Heres the coming weekends fixtures, all GAA go except where mentioned

++++ FOOTBALL
    Saturday 22nd Apr 14:30 (Irish time)
    Sligo V New York
    Connacht Football Championship Semi Final

Saturday 22nd Apr 16:00 (Irish time)
    Kerry V Tipperary
    Munster Football Championship Semi Final

Saturday 22nd Apr 18:30 (Irish time)
    Cavan V Armagh
    Ulster Football Championship Quarter Final

Sunday 23rd Apr 14:00 (Irish time) - BBC
    Down V Donegal
    Ulster Football Championship Quarter Final

Sunday 23rd Apr 15:30 (Irish time)
    Laois V Dublin
    Leinster Football Championship Quarter Final

Sunday 23rd Apr 16:00 (Irish time) - RTE
    Roscommon V Galway
    Connacht Football Championship Semi Final

++++ HURLING
    Saturday 22nd Apr 16:30 (Irish time)
    Galway V Wexford
    Leinster Hurling Championship Round 1

Sunday 23rd Apr 14:00 (Irish time) - RTE
    Waterford V Limerick
    Munster Hurling Championship Round 1

Sunday 23rd Apr 16:00 (Irish time)
    Clare V Tipperary
    Munster Hurling Championship Round 1

++++ HIGHLIGHTS
    Saturday 22nd Apr 21:30 (Irish time) - RTE
    The Saturday Game 22/04/2023

Sunday 23rd Apr 21:30 (Irish time) - RTE
    The Sunday Game 23/04/2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

It really is crazy that the football championship has increased the number of games hugely in the last few years but the TV deal remained the same

It stayed the same at the time of the introduction of the quarter final group stages in 2018 but there is a new contract now.

Did you not notice the absence of Sky and the appearance of GAA Go, or the new highlights show on Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I was sure RTE would be showing Clare v Tipp on Sunday. Disappointing i'm going to miss that game was looking forward to it. I don't have GAA GO and judging on the comments on here about it the app is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,676 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Still showing the same number of games on TV, gone from 60 games in 2022 to 94 games in 2023 in football along with 32 in hurling and only 31 out of that will be on RTE. While GAAGo is showing a good chunk I still think they should have allowed for more games to be on FTA TV for the casual viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's really going to brought into focus in the later stages when quarter-finals (and preliminary quarter-finals in football) aren't shown because of RTE's 31 game limit. I wonder how vocal RTE will be about pointing out that it's not their fault - they do seem to automatically get the blame here from the "they're a disgrace, preferring to show Columbo instead of Cork v Galway, license fee etc" crew.

Well yeah, and the end of the day it's the GAA and not RTE that decide how many games are going to be broadcast across the board.

I wonder are they testing the waters for the next few years to see what interest in the new format will be when it comes to attendances.

Definitely not RTE's fault but like you said I wonder how hard they pushed. Just think with the increased number of games all sides should have been looking to have more of them on FTA TV. Be great if they sold them in 2 packages, football and hurling with a requirement to show X number of Tailteann cup games as part of it and some of the the other hurling championships as well

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice owl Saturday night attire for the Gooch on the Saturday game

Those stools for the Hurling lads looked so uncomfortable

• Advertisement
Advertisement