Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

jimjamcos wrote:
    Well lads, not sure if many of you follow the GAA championship but I had a good bet on the below yesterday.

jimjamcos wrote:
    Brian Fenton (Dublin) to be named Footballer of the Year @ 33/1 with Paddy Power

jimjamcos wrote:
    Firstly, Dublin will win the All Ireland (Mayo and Tyrone only conceivable challengers) and its 99.9% likely that POTY will come from the winning team.

jimjamcos wrote:
    Dublin players ahead of Fenton in market include Ciaran Kilkenny (9/1 fav), James McCarthy & Diarmuid Connelly (both around 14/1) and Bernard Brogan (20/1).

jimjamcos wrote:
    While Brogan won POTY the first time this team won the All Ireland, a midfielder (MD McCaughley) and half-back (Jack McCaffrey) have won it on the last two successful. The reason why I feel its much more likely for a defender or midfielder to win it for Dublin is the fact that Dublins array of attacking options means they don't overly rely on any particular forward (although Brogan is key) and regularly substitute even their most high profile names. They have developed their game to a high pressing type with runners through the middle their main weapon. This is where I think Fenton will shine.

jimjamcos wrote:
    He won an all-star in his very first year on the team last season, ousting a previously mentioned POTY, he plays almost every minute of every game (unlike most of the forwards) and is only coming into his prime at 23/24. He's sure to get loads of space in a ultra dominant team this summer, and looks very likely to become increasingly dominant in terms of scoring. He also has a good media profile which helps with end of year awards.

jimjamcos wrote:
    I see now he's gone into 22/1 with Paddy Power but given he's 16's with Ladbrokes I think 28/1 with Boyles still looks value in what's likely to be a 5/6 horse race.

10/3 favourite now with only final left. :-D

Hope some of you followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

jimjamcos wrote: »

But suppose Mayo win on the 18th, and/or you're looking for an insurance bet, C O'Connor at 20/1 mightn't be a bad idea.
    Draws at 10/1 (higher live), are also not wildly uncommon in these penultimate games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Didn't follow but this would match the epic adebeyor shout a few seasons back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Horse wasn't declared tomorrow

But suppose Mayo win on the 18th, and/or you're looking for an insurance bet, C O'Connor at 20/1 mightn't be a bad idea. Draws at 10/1 (higher live), are also not wildly uncommon in these penultimate games.

Nah, can't have Mayo winning whatsoever. Cillian o'Connor has been average at best too bar the Tyrone game so 20/1 is shocking value for him.

If you think Mayo will win then Aidan O Shea at 15/2 is your only bet but Dublin are on a different level imo.

BumperD wrote:

It would way out-do it in terms of winnings so here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Nah, can't have Mayo winning whatsoever. Cillian o'Connor has been average at best too bar the Tyrone game so 20/1 is shocking value for him.

If you think Mayo will win then Aidan O Shea at 15/2 is your only bet but Dublin are on a different level imo.
    Not at all him Jim this is or yr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Mayo are bottlers but Dublin won't give them a chance to bottle it. Dublin and Kerry are the two best teams in the country by far, Mayo are in for a hiding. Galway gave them a lesson.

Ya didn't see the Tyrone game at all I take it then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I thought Tyrone would beat them alright but Dublin are a different animal. I hope Mayo will give them a good game but I can see a 6 point or more victory for Dublin.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote:
    Ya didn't see the Tyrone game at all I take it then

Tyrone hadn't one single scoring forward (33yo old Sean Cavanagh being sent off) and still nearly beat Mayo.

Dublin -3 @ evens is one of the best bets you'll see this year.

TMYPOTMYGB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

Jim, I got €95 on @ 22/1 after you highlighted this in May, 3's now with PP, fingers crossed, thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

razorhead wrote:
    Jim, I got €95 on @ 22/1 after you highlighted this in May, 3's now with PP, fingers crossed, thanks....

Mon the after timing

Mon the after timing

BET RECEIPT NUMBER : O/20139125/0002713
    Selection Selection Details Result
    GAA Football Outrights
    All Ireland SFC
    Footballer of the year 2016
    18th of Sept 2016 3:30 pm
    Footballer of the Year
    Brian Fenton @ 22/1
    Pending

Stake and Return Details
    Bet placed at 24th of May 2016 10:39 am Total Stake €95.00
    Bet type Single (To Win) Tax@Tax free 0
    Number of lines 1 Total stake due €95.00
    Stake per line €95.00 Freebets Redeemed €0.00
    Channel Internet Total amount paid €95.00
    Number of win lines -
    Potential Returns €2,185.00
    Total Returns

Sorry if you doubted me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

razorhead wrote: »
    BET RECEIPT NUMBER : O/20139125/0002713
    Selection Selection Details Result
    GAA Football Outrights
    All Ireland SFC
    Footballer of the year 2016
    18th of Sept 2016 3:30 pm
    Footballer of the Year
    Brian Fenton @ 22/1
    Pending

Stake and Return Details
    Bet placed at 24th of May 2016 10:39 am Total Stake €95.00
    Bet type Single (To Win) Tax@Tax free 0
    Number of lines 1 Total stake due €95.00
    Stake per line €95.00 Freebets Redeemed €0.00
    Channel Internet Total amount paid €95.00
    Number of win lines -
    Potential Returns €2,185.00
    Total Returns

Sorry if you doubted me!!!

What bit of 'aftertiming' don't you understand?

It's still after timing if you're on the good side of a bet well after

No harm or anything but it still is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Tyrone hadn't one single scoring forward (33yo old Sean Cavanagh being sent off) and still nearly beat Mayo.

Dublin -3 @ evens is one of the best bets you'll see this year.

TMYPOTMYGB

Cant agree really. I certainly think they'll win and Mayo aren't great. However the Dubs havent beaten a handicap all year I dont think. Theyve never hammered a real top team in championship (the 7 pts vs Kerry in 13 prob closest, but that was a real close one til 70 mins). They tend to consolidate leads in real important games these days and I think if theyre 3 ahead with 10 mins left they'll just close the game out rather than going for more. I dont like Mayo but would take them if I got +4. Hope the Dubs wipe them betting aside though. Nice bet on Fenton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Anyone see that Powers are giving away free tickets to Irish Champions Weekend...

Just text Saturday or Sunday to 50100 and your sorted... 2 free tickets are then yours

Sorry folks mea culpa.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Ahh , to be fair Bet has not landed , he called out the support of a great tip and shown the bet was placed on the back of it , that is more chat and acknowledgment of a great tip than after timing in my book.

It certainly does not look likely to wind anybody up

Hulk Hands wrote:
    Cant agree really. I certainly think they'll win and Mayo aren't great. However the Dubs havent beaten a handicap all year I dont think. Theyve never hammered a real top team in championship (the 7 pts vs Kerry in 13 prob closest, but that was a real close one til 70 mins). They tend to consolidate leads in real important games these days and I think if theyre 3 ahead with 10 mins left they'll just close the game out rather than going for more. I dont like Mayo but would take them if I got +4. Hope the Dubs wipe them betting aside though. Nice bet on Fenton

Hulk Hands wrote:

I can see where you're coming from but that's exactly why I think its a good bet. Dublin have been playing within themselves all year bar the Kerry match when only for a 10 minute meltdown from Cluxton (resulted in 6pt swing) they'd have been comfortable winners.

I know Kerry pushed up on those kickouts to force mistakes but you could see in the second half that that level of pressure is very hard to sustain.

Anyway, from what I've seen, Mayo's plan this year is to sit back defensively and go very short from their own kickouts (Keeper Clarke is poor from the tee and kicks mostly to his nearest cornerback) which will be suicide against Dublin forwards who are brilliant at pushing up while Dublins all round exceptional tackling will result in numerous turnovers for them.

Mayo have been playing in patches against average teams all championship while we know Dublin are an exceptional team putting in proven performances for long periods.

The more we are written off the better for the team I think.we will definitely be up against it but sure what about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Anyone see that Powers are giving away free tickets to Irish Champions Weekend...

Just text Saturday or Sunday to 50100 and your sorted... 2 free tickets are then yours
    Tried it, and it works. Paddypower seems to confirm this is legit.

https://twitter.com/PaddyPowerShops/status/770350883804737536

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

It would way out-do it in terms of winnings so here's hoping.

Good luck Jim, hope you collect

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

BumperD wrote: »

What was the Adebeyor shout?

• Advertisement

What was the Adebeyor shout?

Top goal scorer for Tottenham a few seasons back. He duly obliged at 33/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

The lowest value race over the 2 days of Champions Weekend is €100K!! Some amount of prize-money being pumped into it. Hope they have good weather and it's a great success. I'll be at The Curragh on the Sunday and plan to bring the childer too - all free!!

http://www.irishchampionsweekend.ie/ICW/Entries_Results/Fixtures/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

15 20 haydock Barkston Ash is no 33/1 shot. only available with 365 and cant see it last. Have had 1 pt win.

Going to have a cut ew on Dutch Masterpiece 4oc haydock tomorrow, back to its last winning mark, ground good or soft will be no issue, has a ayr gold cup entry but won't get in that without a penalty, trainers only runner, my one fear is George Baker as he can find trouble in running at the best of times but has got the job done on this saddle before, hoping we get a clean run. GL

7/1 in a place, Alice Springs looks massive for the Matron next week

• Advertisement

Anybody listen to betting episode of the final furlong podcast??

It's a great listen

About to plug it in and have a listen

BumperD wrote:
    About to plug it in and have a listen

Let me know what you think bumper

Listened to it once, couldn't anymore found them quite irritating

I like Kevin Blake and Tony Keenan on it, Enjoy reading they're blogs too

Emmett Kennedy's "laugh" would put you right off

His laugh is a bit tough.

Good podcast. Was a little surprised to hear Channing and Keenan say they have so many bets in a day, not sure how they can make money long term with that scatter gun approach but if they are beating the prices I guess they are. Still surprised me. I spend a lot of time studying form and watching racing, which on occasion leads me to have a bet. Rare I'd have more than 1 or two bets in a week unless it's a big festival and there are ones I'm waiting for. Each to their own. I still do each way, knowing it's costing me long term but similar to Keenan, keeps me onside mentally not doing my cash beaten a head.

Most important thing I got from the podcast was a reminder to clean my computer of the bookmaker spyware iesnare that they discreetly load to track the sites I visit. I need to be a lot most disciplined cleaning that crap off my computer

Mzuri looks big at 14s tomorrow at Galway in a place. Slight worry that it would be better over 7 but it's well handicapped and should be competitive. Race not as strong as it may appear at first glance

Bought the final flight jumps guide for the coming season..
    Might seem like a lazy way of researching but it'll do me

Anyone else buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Bought the final flight jumps guide for the coming season..
    Might seem like a lazy way of researching but it'll do me

Anyone else buy it?

Where'd you get it Krusty? Can only seem to find the 2015/2016 version online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Birch's Banker 1/2 shot in the 4:00 Brighton. Laughable!

• Advertisement

Earendil wrote: »
    Where'd you get it Krusty? Can only seem to find the 2015/2016 version online.

I got the link through the twitter page

http://thefinalflightpublications.co.uk/home/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

The Mig wrote: »
    Birch's Banker 1/2 shot in the 4:00 Brighton. Laughable!

In fairness it went from a 9-runner to 4-runner field after he had written his column. Hey, at least it won!!:)

I put love on the rocks in my tracker after her run at York where she was 2nd. The 4th has come out and won twice since.She is 6/1 fav today in the last at Donny, dropping down two grades so I've had an ew. GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Lads would it take much money to move a horse from 66-1 to 25-1?

Depends on the race and track

A 0-65 at Dundalk, fcuk all

A Group 1/ Handicap at a big festival, a decent amount

Moore not riding Idaho, that confirms that nobody gives a fcuk about the Leger

racso1975 wrote: »
    Lads would it take much money to move a horse from 66-1 to 25-1?

Depends on the market. Also depends who it is. Amazing what a small stake with a restricted account can do

$ilvestre to ride another winner on Commanche tomorrow night please god

Fascinating Rock out of the Champion Stakes. Fcuk sake, was lining up a good bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Fascinating Rock out of the Champion Stakes. Fcuk sake, was lining up a good bet

New Bay and Hawkbill look the interesting ones now I'd say.

Advertisement