Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Anyone know where I can get good colours for knitting toys. Websites would be great as I am on a bedrest pregnancy!! I need loads of different bright colours. Am using Jean greenhowe books

eBay - Robin do a range of lovely coloured yarns for toys. Cheap as chips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

woolwindings.blogspot.com/2007/07/upside-down-daisy-hat.html?m=1

I've started knitting this hat on 3.25 needles with Debbie Bliss Cotton.

A lady on a knitting site altered the pattern for me to knit on regular needles. But now I'm seeing I'm supposed to use bigger needles, help! I've already got a good bit done. Could someone just tell me if 82 cast on stitches sounds like it'd fit a 1-2 year old?! Having a crisis moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Right, your gauge could be about 25 sts per 4 inches.

So that means the length of piece you have knitted could be 13.5 inches.
    (85/25 * 4 inches)

Will this go around her head?

To be honest it sounds small, but best thing to do is just keep going. If you knitting is loose you could be saved, mine is quite tight so I never get away with it. Also I find knitting in straight needles instead of circulars can make it tighter.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Right, your gauge could be about 25 sts per 4 inches.

So that means the length of piece you have knitted could be 13.5 inches.
    (85/25 * 4 inches)

Will this go around her head?

To be honest it sounds small, but best thing to do is just keep going. If you knitting is loose you could be saved, mine is quite tight so I never get away with it. Also I find knitting in straight needles instead of circulars can make it tighter.

All the hats that I have knitted by big headed baba and not once did I think to calculate out the gauge by stitches. All that ripping and restarting (and redesigning fairisle patterns!) that could have been avoided.

:D

O dear! Well I'm so confused as the Debbie Bliss Eco Cotton calls for 3.25 from the Irish site I bought it from but then on ravelry it says 4.0mm hmmm? I'll start again I just want it to be gorgeous and fit my little'un! I have no idea how to do gauge or swatch, can't understand it

• Advertisement

I usually use 4mm for Debbie Bliss Cotton (havent used Eco).

I still think, dont rip it back, you should get 2 hats out of 100g, if you have the yarn just continue, you might be lucky.

I've measured the length of the hat and it's 18 inches so am just going to keep going with it for now.

Ok the TENSION is 30sts and 38 rows to 10 cm over st-st using 2.75 needles. It says to cast on 97 sts and work as follows: RS K1, yf, *k5, slip the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th sts over the first st, yf: rep from * to last st, k1

Does anyone have any idea www.allaboutyou.com/craft/pattern-finder/knitting-patterns/designer-knitting-patterns/knit-a-babies-hat-free-pattern-48542 how to alter this to fit 1-2 year old? Please, haven't got a clue how to work it out. Do I have to alter every row?

LaLucy wrote: »
    Ok the TENSION is 30sts and 38 rows to 10 cm over st-st using 2.75 needles. It says to cast on 97 sts and work as follows: RS K1, yf, *k5, slip the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th sts over the first st, yf: rep from * to last st, k1

Does anyone have any idea www.allaboutyou.com/craft/pattern-finder/knitting-patterns/designer-knitting-patterns/knit-a-babies-hat-free-pattern-48542 how to alter this to fit 1-2 year old? Please, haven't got a clue how to work it out. Do I have to alter every row?

Did you try this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74780147&postcount=138

Das Kitty wrote: »

Brilliant! One more question, should I add 30 to the 97 which is for 0-3 month old or add it onto the 127 which is for the 6-9 month? Would it be way off if I had 45 to 127 for fit up to 24 month old? Thank you :)

• Advertisement

Brilliant! One more question, should I add 30 to the 97 which is for 0-3 month old or add it onto the 127 which is for the 6-9 month? Would it be way off if I had 45 to 127 for fit up to 24 month old? Thank you :)

Well their heads don't keep growing at the same rate. The hat I made for my boy last year still fits him this year (he'll be 2 in the new year). I reckon just add 30 on to the largest size, it should be enough if not more than enough.

The reason people knit a gauge is that two knitters with the same needles and yarn can make dramatically different sizes of garments as their natural knitting style can be tighter or looser than the norm. I always knit a gauge square for a large garment, but for something like a hat I rarely bother as it's so quick to knit. But that's just me!

So if the gauge on the ball of yarn says 4x4" = 22 row, 16 stitches, I would cast on 20 stitches and knit say 25 rows and measure the 4x4" and see how many rows and stitches it takes to form that size, if it's more than the number on the gauge I would try again with the next size up needles and vice versa if it took fewer stitches to meet the gauge.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Well their heads don't keep growing at the same rate. The hat I made for my boy last year still fits him this year (he'll be 2 in the new year). I reckon just add 30 on to the largest size, it should be enough if not more than enough.

The reason people knit a gauge is that two knitters with the same needles and yarn can make dramatically different sizes of garments as their natural knitting style can be tighter or looser than the norm. I always knit a gauge square for a large garment, but for something like a hat I rarely bother as it's so quick to knit. But that's just me!

So if the gauge on the ball of yarn says 4x4" = 22 row, 16 stitches, I would cast on 20 stitches and knit say 25 rows and measure the 4x4" and see how many rows and stitches it takes to form that size, if it's more than the number on the gauge I would try again with the next size up needles and vice versa if it took fewer stitches to meet the gauge.

Just realised I should have just common sense! Sorry my brain is very mushy... On the Debbie Bliss Eco Baby label it says 34 rows, 25 sts is 4in but that's with 3.25 needles. But in the hat pattern it's different as it's softer yarn but hopefully if I just use the 2.75 needles it'll turn out ok. My baby girl isn't a big baby or anything so hopefully it'll be fine. Thank you Das Kitty really appreciate your help.

I've done casting on 157 stitches then the first row, wow that was hard! How many stitches should I have left on the needle, how would I check? I have 63 but think one may have dropped at the end uh oh

You should have 135 after row 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ladybirdgirl

Hi guys,
    Having not knitted for years, I started a Debbie Bliss shawl/blanket in 2009 when I was pregnant. I made loads of mistakes and didn't get it finished and when baby arrived, no more time! Anyway now I'm pregnant again and really want to finish it. Thing is, I'm in Spain, book is in Dublin (Baby Cashmerino 3) and I can't buy it online as it's out of print, anyone got it and willing to give me even the pattern for the border? I'll be bale to get it in about 4 weeks but I'm on a deadline here!!
    Have the knitting but am not experienced enough to reverse engineer it.
    Thanks a million
    LBG

I'm stuck on row 2! Tried it over and over. How the hell do I p,yo,ktbl all in same st? I'm confused about where the back loop is as there is a big gap from the first row and it gets twisted. So should I be doing it with the yarn over piece from row 1 or the normal stitch?

I'm stuck on row 2! Tried it over and over. How the hell do I p,yo,ktbl all in same st? I'm confused about where the back loop is as there is a big gap from the first row and it gets twisted. So should I be doing it with the yarn over piece from row 1 or the normal stitch?

The ktbl is the easy bit, it just means knot through the back of the stitch to make the knitting slightly twisted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1KiHViK160

So you will purl , then yarn over then knit through the back of the stitch. I dont think it should be in the same stitch?

How many stitches should you have and how many times should you repeat the instructions above?

If you should have 50 stitches and should repeat the instructions above 25 times then you purl the first stitch then yarn over then knit the 2nd stitch through the back loop.

P1, * [p1, yon, k1 tbl] all into next st, p1; rep from *to end

I started with 157, after 1st row, 65, now for 2nd row it should be 135

When you're working more than one stitch into an existing stitch, you do as you normally would but don't slip the stitch from the left needle until you have the last stitch worked.

Should I be working with the yarned over stitch from row 1 or the one left on the needle after slipping the 2nd-5th over? I'm confused as to where the back is, and sometimes I was using the yarn over piece and sometimes the normal one. So I purl 1, then purl, don't slip it off, take the yarn between the needles to the back. Put the right needle through the back of the stitch still on the needle wrap the yarn around and then pull off. Then purl 1 then do purl 1, don't pull off etc..

• Advertisement

Should I be working with the yarned over stitch from row 1 or the one left on the needle after slipping the 2nd-5th over?

I'm confused as to where the back is, and sometimes I was using the yarn over piece and sometimes the normal one. So I purl 1, then purl, don't slip it off, take the yarn between the needles to the back.

Put the right needle through the back of the stitch still on the needle wrap the yarn around and then pull off.

Then purl 1 then do purl 1, don't pull off etc..

Yes the bit in bold sounds right in relation to the instruction you gave above.

Stuck again sorry! On row 7 it says k and inc 1 (dec 1 : dec 3) sts evenly across row. And then it gives the amount of stitches which should be left 81/91/101 or in my case 121. Right now I have 135. What do I do for row 7? Thanks so much :)

Stuck again sorry! On row 7 it says k and inc 1 (dec 1 : dec 3) sts evenly across row. And then it gives the amount of stitches which should be left 81/91/101 or in my case 121. Right now I have 135. What do I do for row 7? Thanks so much :)

I think I was wrong earlier about the 135, I just gave it a quick glance

CO 157
    After R2 - 129
    After R3 - 128
    On Row 7 decrease 7 evenly around (every 16th stitch in this case, I think)
    After R7 - 121

• Registered Users Posts: 18 panda708

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ladybirdgirl

Thanks Panda,
    Really appreciate that! Had a bit of a mare on the site trying to oder though.... Will call them tomorrow.
    LBG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gbarry

not used to knitting... so can some tell me exactly what this means...

"Beg fisherman's rib - when counting sts count the yarn over needle and the slip st as one st.
    Foundation row - P1,K1*sl 1 purlways with yarn over needle (to make stitch), K1, rep from * to last st, P1.
    1st row - K1, sl 1 purlways with yarn over the needle (to make a stitch), *K1 together with the yarn over needle from previous row, sl 1 purlways with yarn over needle (to make a stitch),rep from*to last st, K1.
    2nd row - P1, K1 together with the yarn over needle from previous row,*sl 1 purlways with yarn over needle (to make a stitch), K1 together with the yarn over needle from previous row, rep from * to last st, P1"

if anyone can make sense of this please let me know!! PLEASE HELP:confused:

gbarry wrote: »
    not used to knitting... so can some tell me exactly what this means...

"Beg fisherman's rib - when counting sts count the yarn over needle and the slip st as one st.

When using this pattern, count the stitches and the slanty yarn over the needle as one stitch rather than 2 as with this pattern the yarn over will be knitted together in the next row to for the pattern.

Foundation row - P1,K1*sl 1 purlways with yarn over needle (to make stitch), K1, rep from * to last st, P1.

purl one stitch,, knit one, slip the next stitch from one needle to the other with out doing anything to it, then bring the yarn over the needle from back to front and back again to make a stitch, then knit one. Repeat this step until yo have one stitch left and then purl that one.

1st row - K1, sl 1 purlways with yarn over the needle (to make a stitch), *K1 together with the yarn over needle from previous row, sl 1 purlways with yarn over needle (to make a stitch),rep from*to last st, K1.

Knit one, move the yarn as if you were going to purl one but instead slip the stitch onto the next needle without doing anything to it.
    Now, knit the next 2 stitches on you needle together to make one. Next wrap the yarn around the needle to make a stitch from back to front and around to the front again, keep doing this until theres only one stitch and then just knit that one

2nd row - P1, K1 together with the yarn over needle from previous row,*sl 1 purlways with yarn over needle (to make a stitch), K1 together with the yarn over needle from previous row, rep from * to last st, P1"

if anyone can make sense of this please let me know!! PLEASE HELP:confused:

This basically as above, make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Hi guys, I used to knit waaaaaay back in school but would love to try again.
    I want to knit a nice hat, maybe with 2 colours for an xmas gift and maybe even a scarf to go with it if I can manage it.

So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of good patterns of nice hats I could use?
    I've read here of people using circular needles etc, whats the best way to knit it?
    And also whats the best wool type to use for a hat and scarf?

I like these alot but not sure how complicated they would be as a first try?
    http://www.jerinknits.com/cindylou-knitting-pattern/
    http://www.naturallycaron.com/projects/denver/denver_1.html

or maybe you know of easier similar patterns?
    thanks

I love the 2 of them, the red and white one looks easier but as there is no visible seam it must be knit on circulars. i loves using circulars as once you cast off the hat is done!

The second one looks easy enough but there will be alot of carrying yarn at the back, but using straight needles so you'd be sewing it together once it was knit. It would be a bit harder than the first.

There's not really much odd stitches in with of them just changing colour and decreasing|(knit 2 together).

I'd say try the red and white one first, you'll be an expert by the time you start the second 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

what type of wool would you recommend to use? as I said I'm a total newbie.
    something soft and warm that wouldnt itch the head off me!! ?

also what size needles (if I'm to use circular ones) and size hat would fit a med-large adult head?
    I'm not following the details given with the circular red hat too well, sorry.

Advertisement