Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying so much for phones but refusing to pay for apps?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

People pay for hardware but think softwares free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Frankx wrote: »

I still haven't met anyone who paid for Winzip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Winrar

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I still haven't met anyone who paid for Winzip.

Me neither and I ask everyone I meet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Pretty simple, if I could get a slightly less good iPhone for free I’d do that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

People spend even more than that on a holiday with nothing to show for it after they land back home.

Some of the best memories in my life were on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Me neither and I ask everyone I meet
    Bet that's a cracking conversation! Pay for Spotify and did pay for another app but generally find the features in any other apps I use adequate. Mostly can't see the justification for spending the money for little benefit and the ads don't bother me that much.

You have to pay for hardware unless you want to risk being arrested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

It's the same when it comes to repairs. I worked as a phone repair technician and I'd see people coming in with smashed screens on €900+ phones. They'd complain when the screen for their Samsung Galaxy Note 10 plus costs over €200 to fix. Same with iPhones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

I have an 80 inch TV, Samsung Note 10+, expensive massage recliner, expensive clothes, expensive tablet, Laptop and gaming desktop.

My car outside in the driveway cost me 1500 with no loans. I never spent more than 1500 on a car as cars don't interest me whatsoever.

Some people like spending 30 grand on a car and say why do you spend a grand on a phone.

Mind boggles.

• Advertisement

Rimmy wrote: »
    I have an 80 inch TV, Samsung Note 10+, expensive massage recliner, expensive clothes, expensive tablet, Laptop and gaming desktop.

My car outside in the driveway cost me 1500 with no loans. I never spent more than 1500 on a car as cars don't interest me whatsoever.

Some people like spending 30 grand on a car and say why do you spend a grand on a phone.

Mind boggles.

That's the mystery

The car or the phone or the drugs whatever

People just debate then without the awareness of what others want

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

People spend even more than that on a holiday with nothing to show for it after they land back home.

You've never been on a holiday have you?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

Mind boggles.

Depends on what you want from the product you buy.

Cars can be just about getting from a to b, or about luxury, status, security, safety...etc

Phones can be just about calls/texts or all the other stuff...super hi tech phone, NFC, Retinal security, dual SIM etc etc

Different strokes...hence different variations of both products.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I spend big enough usually on phones sim free when I do upgrade, the way I see it, I use a phone more than I use my desktop I built for gaming, or my Mac I make music on, like the poster above, I have a crap car as I don't care about car's, they aren't important (to me) in the general scheme of things, I needed one when I lived more rurally but now I'm back in the city I don't need it as much so I'm downsizing soon...

petes wrote: »
    So they remember nothing from their holiday?

While I’m not against holidays they are highly over rated under the headings “experiences” and “memories” etc. On the other hand people amazed at someone paying 1k for a phone are also not really thinking about it.

To me a 1k phone is far better value than a 1k holiday. I think my average screen time is 5 hours per day on the phone, that’s not including things the phone is doing in the background like playing music, apps monitoring things etc and I generally keep a phone for 2 - 3 years and sell it on for a few hundred (or gift it to a family member) as iPhones keep their value and remain working longer and better.

While I’m not against holidays they are highly over rated under the headings “experiences” and “memories” etc. On the other hand people amazed at someone paying 1k for a phone are also not really thinking about it.

To me a 1k phone is far better value than a 1k holiday. I think my average screen time is 5 hours per day on the phone, that’s not including things the phone is doing in the background like playing music, apps monitoring things etc and I generally keep a phone for 2 - 3 years and sell it on for a few hundred (or gift it to a family member) as iPhones keep their value and remain working longer and better.

Never regretted spending any money I spent on a holiday. Are you one of types that live in a village with 1500 people and never want to leave it? Where has been the furthest you travelled to? And iPhones are brutal phones, just saying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had the first series iPhone pretty early on around six months after launch, but that was because of a bit of luck and it wasn't particularly expensive. More than the average phone at the time, but not by much and way lower than retail. Since then I just wait a couple of years for the fashion to shift and the prices to fall right down and buy one then and usually only when my current one breaks in some way. One way Apple tend to be better than Android is they keep OS updates going for longer for older models which helps. I'm now on a 6s which is what five years old and it's running the latest OS and well good enough for me and most I'd expect.

Now to be fair I'm not a gamer, rarely browse online on a phone and use only a handful of apps none of which need big iron to run so a phone from even ten years back wouldn't be a struggle for me, so there's that.
    It's the same when it comes to repairs. I worked as a phone repair technician and I'd see people coming in with smashed screens on €900+ phones. They'd complain when the screen for their Samsung Galaxy Note 10 plus costs over €200 to fix. Same with iPhones.
    +1. Never mind the labour and pain in the arse they can be to replace. I'm sure you doing it as a job you'd fly through it, but having replaced screens and batteries on a few iPhones for myself and mates as an amateur, jaysus you'd need patience and luck at times. Oh sure go to ifixit and follow the instructions. "Affix sucker to screen and gently pull at the corners to separate the screen from case". Me: "with what, the force of ten effin African bull elephants? That kinda gently?" *crack* Fuuuuuuuuck!!!! :mad: :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Never regretted spending any money I spent on a holiday. Are you one of types that live in a village with 1500 people and never want to leave it? Where has been the furthest you travelled to? And iPhones are brutal phones, just saying.

I’ve been on holidays now and again, only one I really spend big money on was honeymoon and I won’t spend big on one again. I don’t regret any holiday but If I didn’t go on them I wouldn’t be regretting that either. I’m generally happy to holiday in Ireland and an odd week or two abroad some years just to get a bit of hot weather. Never did J1s nor wanted to as too busy working at home etc and no interested in “travelling” a weeks holiday somewhere would be as much as I’d do.

iPhones are far far superior to any android phone so I won’t even enter this conversation with you.

I’ve been on holidays now and again, only one I really spend big money on was honeymoon and I won’t spend big on one again. I don’t regret any holiday but If I didn’t go on them I wouldn’t be regretting that either. I’m generally happy to holiday in Ireland and an odd week or two abroad some years just to get a bit of hot weather. Never did J1s nor wanted to as too busy working at home etc and no interested in “travelling” a weeks holiday somewhere would be as much as I’d do.

iPhones are far far superior to any android phone so I won’t even enter this conversation with you.

Locked down software, but sure they are great. Do you like a 120hz display, oh wait.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Both have their pluses and minuses. Depends on the end user. iPhones are more secure out of the box, have a more consistent platform, are well bolted together, have much longer usage lives with more up to date software and hold more value when selling(and I wouldn't give google the steam off a tramp's piss which is a major plus for me). On the other hand they're far less customisable without jailbreaking, are nearly always lagging behind with the latest tech like cameras etc and are more expensive to buy new for similar specs on Android.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

As I said in a previous post I was a phone repair technician. I've used and owned more phones than people have had new shoes. I've owned iPhones, androids, windows phones. Even owned symbians and MeeGos. I'm currently on a Sony Xperia 1. Also have a Oneplus 7t and had an iPhone xs until last week. All great phones with their own strengths and weaknesses.
    I find this whole android v apple guff childish. These massive billion dollar companies don't care about you, just that you'll buy their product. It's like being back at school, "My daddy has a nicer car than yoor daddy etc"

Feck all the android v apple stuff. I want to go back to my Nokia 808 preview....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FaIIcon

Eh, not much of a user of smart phone apps other than the google suite of apps. Browser and those do me. Technology is a big time waste at the best of times. Rather live in the real world.

No interest in paying for apps.

You've never been on a holiday have you?

I have, loads of times. And I always return with regret at having wasted a fortune.

After using high end android phones for years and 6 months on an iPhone showed me it’s not even close either. iOS is just so far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

After using high end android phones for years and 6 months on an iPhone showed me it’s not even close either. iOS is just so far superior.

Similar enough from me. I have iPhones for years as personal phones and high end android phones from work. IOS is just so much easier and intuitive to use.

I absolutely despise IOS because of the amount of extra work I have to do to make my website work in mobile Safari properly.

They arbitrarily change what is allowed because they don't trust their users enough. This was an enormous issue for me a few months ago with WebRTC on my site. "It just works." because people like me put excruciating effort into making it work.

I had to buy an iPad to test all this. If I want to make an IOS app, I need to buy a Macbook so I can use xcode. If I want to debug mobile Safari properly, I need to buy a Macbook.

I just don't like anything about Apple but unfortunately most do and it doesn't look like it will ever be easier to develop for and it's not going to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

A phone is a must-have. Very few apps are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Y'know, I've never understood this view point of Us vs Them. Since the iPhone released I've swapped between Android and iOS quite happily, both are great and both have flaws, but you need to compare like for like.

I'm literally writing this from a MacBook, or I could write it from an iPhone XR, but there are certain things about Android that simply are better. iOS 14 is a prime example of this as it now incorporates a lot of things that Android has been doing for well over 10 years.

If there is a problem with Android, it's the bloatware stuffed on to the phones by OEM's and phone networks, which causes their phones to lag and slow down much faster.

That said, lightning needs to piss off and Siri is absolutely pointless so I’ll always keep some form of android phone on the go for certain stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I don't really get why so many people are staunchly against paying a few dollars for apps. A friend's phone easily cost a grand and I just asked him if it's worth the $5 for an app I know he uses and he was like "na fuk that would never pay for an app".

What?

He buys iPhones every couple of years. What's five dollars to get rid of ads and get extra features.. It's bizarre and so many people are so adamant that they'd never pay for an app.

$1000 for a phone with ads in your favourite app versus $1005 for a phone with no ads in your favourite app.

What’s the app that costs 5 dollars ... is it 5 dollars once off?

Advertisement