Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Just finished Peter James's horror yarn The house on Cold Hill.

Not great. Derivative, formulaic and utterly predictable. In fact, every bit as bad as "Perfect people."

It is a pity, because his Roy Grace crime novels (the ones with "dead" in the title) are excellent. He should stick to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I finished The English Patient. It was good but still found it a bit strange.

Currently reading The Night Manager by John le Carrè as I heard the BBC have made into a mini-series and it will be airing in Spring.

I finished The English Patient. It was good but still found it a bit strange.

Currently reading The Night Manager by John le Carrè as I heard the BBC have made into a mini-series and it will be airing in Spring.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Aenaes wrote: »

I saw an add for it the other day. Think it said "coming soon" You better get a wriggle on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Only two more to go before you have to read Prince Lestat, published in 2014:eek::pac:

I'll buy it for you myself if you don't have it:p

Haha I love it. Outstanding:) I must say a book published in 2014 hmmm that is a scary proposition for me:) Thanks for the generous offer. Prince Lestat is not in my new books collection yet but certainly will be.

Now for the bad news before I get to Prince Lestat I still have some more Anne Rice re reads as I have her Mayfair witches trilogy to enjoy yet. But never fear I have promised at some point in 2016 I will crack open and read a brand new book!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Started reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte yesterday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dibble wrote: »
    Started reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte yesterday.

Love it, one of my favourites and so very different from what I was expecting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Finished Stalingrad by Antony Beevor, a harrowing but essential read. Found it very difficult to keep reading at times due to the subject matter and the complete hopelessness of all people involved. Highly recommended read for anyone with a passing interest of what happened on the Eastern front.

Up next is D-Day - The Invasion of Normandy, by the same author. I am a bit more familiar with this period as it has been portrayed in countless films and TV shows.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to Stalingrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes

Brilliant read

Now its on to All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've almost finished The trouble with Goats and sheep by Joanna Cannon, it goes from being plodding to unputdownable but it is set up for a really good finish (I hope), at the moment I would recommend it but that could change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭kam3qnwvebf4jh

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. Halfway through and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

I've almost finished The trouble with Goats and sheep by Joanna Cannon, it goes from being plodding to unputdownable but it is set up for a really good finish (I hope), at the moment I would recommend it but that could change.

Given your username should you not be kept away from sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Just finishing Eggshells by Caitriona Lally, a very quirky read. At swim two birds after that.

Just finished the truly brilliant All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - really, really enjoyed it.

Next off the pile is The Lives of Women by Christine Dwyer Hickey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Thomas_..

Winston S. Churchill, A History of the English-Speaking Peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Just finished The House of Sand and Fog, Andre Dubus III

http://www.andredubusiii.com/houseofsandandfog.html

The pacing is excellent, and it is told from two people's first person point of view, with a third person's story in the third person. You can empathise with all the characters and it makes you want to scream at them all each of the choices they make lead them further down a wrong path. I would recommend it.

Just started The Ice Twins, SL Tremanyne. So far so good - very different to the one above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Going to attempt Infinite Jest again. This is the third time I've begun the book. I've been beaten before page 300 twice before. I can tell there's something of value in the novel, it's just that length and density is so forbidding, that I've just thrown in the towel in the past... But not this time dammit!

Some of the reason why I'm willing to stick with this time is that I've read some of David Foster Wallace's non-fiction, in recent years, and it's really exceptional stuff, so I'm more inclined to hear him out, even at over a 1000 pages.

Just starting The Good Liar by Nicholas Searle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Finished Stalingrad by Antony Beevor, a harrowing but essential read. Found it very difficult to keep reading at times due to the subject matter and the complete hopelessness of all people involved. Highly recommended read for anyone with a passing interest of what happened on the Eastern front.

Up next is D-Day - The Invasion of Normandy, by the same author. I am a bit more familiar with this period as it has been portrayed in countless films and TV shows.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to Stalingrad.

Heartily recommend Berlin, by the same author. I'd class that and Stalingrad as amongst the best books on World War Two.I read the two a few years back. The instant I finished Stalingrad I literally walked into the nearest bookshop and bought Berlin straight away. "More of this please", said my brain. Have not read his D-Day account, so I cannot say too much about it. I will say to avoid his one volume history of WWII though: not a bad book but there's too much compression to make it all fit, so even though it's well written and voluminous, it doesn't feel like it's truly comprehensive.

His book on the Spanish Civil War is not quite as absorbing but is still highly interesting, if you have an interest in that conflict.

I don't know how responsible he is for the sheer amount of books in circulation about matters relating to World War Two. I remember, hazily, I was only a kid, about how much of a phenomenon Stalingrad was when it was first published. I think it was a bit of a rarity up until then for books on military history to sell by the bucket-load. Great and all that it was that such things reached a wide audience, I do wonder ocassionally about whether such success, in one particular area, has kind of had a warping influence ever since on popular history as a whole. I just find it a bit of a pity sometimes that WWII casts such a long shadow in the world of historical non-fiction. The history section of any bookshop I've ever been in is heavily weighted towards military history, and a good proportion of that, maybe 40-50 percent, is given over to World War.II. It sells, obviously, and there's no denying it's importance, relevance and fascination. But I do wonder, has it not been done to death at this stage: how much more that's new can really be said about it? I wonder are other areas and eras of historical research and publication being left undervalued as a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Stalingrad by Antony Beevor, Fantastic book, In a similar vein "Leningrad: The

Epic Siege of World War II, 1941-1944" by Anna Reid. harrowing account of life

during that time.

I'm presently reading Prit Buttar's "Between Giants...The Battle for the Baltic's in World War II.

Finished a re read of Anne Rice's Blackwood Farm where she introduces a new character into her Vampire Chronicles and ties the story in with her Mayfair witches a bit as she did in Merrick. Very enjoyable.

I think Leningrad was more harrowing to read about than Stalingrad. The book I read was "Leningrad: State of Siege" by Michael Jones.

I finished The Night Manager by John le Carrè. Very good story as usual. I'm looking forward to the BBC mini-series now.

I'm currently reading The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux. It recounts his 1973 journey, mostly by train, from London through Europe to the Middle East and onto Asia and returning on the Trans-Siberian Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

I have just started The Dog, by Joseph O'Neill. I enjoyed Netherland, but have read mixed reviews about this new book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished 'Under Major-domo' by Patrick DeWitt! Loved it. It was a book that I couldn't wait to continue reading any chance I got.

Starting 'The Invisible Man' by H.G Wells now.

• Advertisement

Finished 'Under Major-domo' by Patrick DeWitt! Loved it. It was a book that I couldn't wait to continue reading any chance I got.

Starting 'The Invisible Man' by H.G Wells now.

Great to hear that about the DeWitt book, blurb makes it sound a bit strange so I avoided it up till now, I'll definitely read it, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Read Ishiguro's Remains of the Day. It's a gentle book that doesn't really do much but I liked it. Clearly demonstrates the hierarchy that existed belowstairs and the terrible snobbery attached to where one was employed.

Very moving story of an era long gone.

Now on to Americanah, due back at the library on Weds so will have to really push it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Great to hear that about the DeWitt book, blurb makes it sound a bit strange so I avoided it up till now, I'll definitely read it, thanks.

It is strange but that's a big reason why I loved it so much! :D

Finished The Good Liar last night ... great read but the ending was a bit of a let down.

Next for a bit of a giggle it's Pilgrims by Garrison Keillor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Reading Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd. Had never heard of it or him until it popped up in the list of David Bowie's 100 favourite books in the swirl of articles after his death.

Good read - a bit slow to start, but he captures atmosphere like a poet. Also, some interesting ideas, in the same territory as Alan Moore's From Hell - how time repeats itself, how geography shapes psychology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Have three on the go at the minute.

The infamous 'Peig' by Peig Sayers. I never had to suffer through it in school so I'm reading it now, I don't find it too bad actually :p

'East of Eden' by Steinbeck, I'm only 50 pages in but I'm enjoying it- it's my last Steinbeck on the shelf so I'm trying to drag it out a bit.

'Psycho' by Robert Bloch. The novel that Hitchcock's classic was based on it, I'm a third of the way through it and it's quite short so I should have it done tonight, hopefully. It seems to be the same as Hitchcock's adaption bar some very minor details but we get to see inside Norman's head so it's interesting from that aspect.

Finished a re read of Anne Rice's Blood Canticle which although a Vampire Chronicles book brings a strong mixing between the Mayfair Witches trilogy and the Vampre Chronicles and is very well put together and enjoyable.

The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker

I'm reading the girl in the red coat, it seems to be this years Girl on the Train.
    It's an interesting if slightly disturbing (as a parent) premise, well enough written, I'm hoping for a happy ending:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reading both 'Olive Kitteridge' by Elizabeth Strout and 'Gold Fame Citrus' by Claire Vaye Watkins, enjoying 'Olive Kitteridge' more at the moment, loved the mini-serious, loving the book.

Finished Go Set A Watchman, which I thought was disappointing. If I said why it would probably be a major spoiler.

Started All The Light We Cannot See having seen several positive comments here. Promising opening.

Just over halfway through Americanah. Loving it but it could have done with a bit more editing.

I finished The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux. It was interesting but not as good as I thought it would be.

I've started "Julie de Carneilhan" by Colette.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finally finished Dr Zhivago over the weekend. Tough going. I think I preferred the film.

Anyway, on to A Career of Evil now. Been dying to start it and I got it as a present for xmas. However its a big paperback which means it is a monster of a thing to try and carry around with me so I have decided to have a small book for my handbag. The books up for selection are The Lovely Bones, The Mayor of Castorbridge, The Lost World, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Only Time Will Tell.
    Any suggestions? I also have to visit Chapters because I have to get book club books :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

SarahBM wrote: »
    Finally finished Dr Zhivago over the weekend. Tough going. I think I preferred the film.

Anyway, on to A Career of Evil now. Been dying to start it and I got it as a present for xmas. However its a big paperback which means it is a monster of a thing to try and carry around with me so I have decided to have a small book for my handbag. The books up for selection are The Lovely Bones, The Mayor of Castorbridge, The Lost World, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Only Time Will Tell.
    Any suggestions? I also have to visit Chapters because I have to get book club books :)

Only one I've read from them is 'The Lovely Bones' and as far as I remember, I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »

Had to do the Mayor of Casterbridge for the leaving cert. I dont think I've ever disliked a book as much! We also had to sit through a BBC adaptation on video which I found incredibly tedious.

On the other hand, Chapters is great ... even though I wander in with nothing in particular to buy I always seem end up with a few books for about a fiver each. Its dangerous having it five mins from my workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Starting The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver; had it on my to-read list for a long time but never took the plunge until now.

So, I finished Julie de Carneilhan. A lot of human interaction and social niceties in one short story. It was enjoyable.

Now I've started One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

Finished The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair in the early hours .... great read, top marks

Now it's The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

SPQR by Mary Beard, very interesting read. It deals with how Rome went from a small farming settlement to an empire encompassing huge tracts of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Reading - my Struggle book 2 by Karl Ove Knaussgard. Also Berlin by Anthony Beevor.

Recently read the Girl in the Red Coat and I have to admit I quite enjoyed it, I can be a bit snobby about that madly popular fiction but that was decent.

Finished After the Crash & it's a great read, keeps you guessing right to the end. Thanks to SarahBM for the recommendation back the thread.

The Mark and The Void by Paul Murray

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Mark and The Void by Paul Murray

Really enjoyed it & very funny in parts. Every bit as good as Skippy Dies IMHO

Now it's on to Their Eyes were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Advertisement