Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Genius2013

bigpink wrote: »
    Look up Establishment on TripAdvisor very suspicious reviews all in last month or so.The staff being mentioned by name as being amazing and people with only one review

Best Shisha in the world.
    5.0 rating on Tripadvisor
    How is this place so quiet everytime I pass then????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Dodgy and not just the reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Dodgy and not just the reviews

Can you back up that statement I've eaten in there and I thought it was very good. To call a place dodgy and not post any proof is a smart alecy statement at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Can you back up that statement I've eaten in there and I thought it was very good. To call a place dodgy and not post any proof is a smart alecy statement at the very least

The amount of businesses ran in the same premises/others in the city by the group,all of which which have very quickly closed, and re branded as something else, is sufficient evidence of, at minimum, not wonderful practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Is Angry Burger on Deliveroo the same crowd? Lowest rated place on there.

• Advertisement

yup as was funky donuts/brimstone/other iterations of that building
    also some ties to the crafty fox 'experiment'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Yes

Read the trip Advisor reviews

bigpink wrote: »
    Read the trip Advisor reviews

Then read the reviews on Google, doesn't really match up!

Do a bit of digging and you'll see how many Trip Advisor accounts that face 5 stars have never reviewed any other restaurants!

Then read the reviews on Google, doesn't really match up!

Do a bit of digging and you'll see how many Trip Advisor accounts that face 5 stars have never reviewed any other restaurants!

a reply on one of them "I personally would never judge a place that has only opened like that as we do have some teething problems as all new businesses do"

As if the business hasn't been opened years and everyone knows it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just had a look. Amazing how it is all 1st reviews by people who know the employees my first name. Fishy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Juat had a look. Amazing how it is all 1st reviews by people who know the employees my first name. Fishy.

Wasn't there a well-known former Limerick hotel caught out getting it's own staff to write bogus glowing TripAdvisor reviews a few years ago? I think I recall it getting some exposure on Joe Duffy's Liveline.

A common enough practise, I believe.

One place in Limerick used to offer a voucher (8-10 euro I think) for a Trip Advisor review.

One place in Limerick used to offer a voucher (8-10 euro I think) for a Trip Advisor review.

I was offered the deal of the century to write a decent Just Eat review for a pizza/kebab place here in Limerick not so long ago. They offered to upgrade my can of Club Orange to a bottle. Now, I prefer my fizzy pop beverage from a cold can like most sane humans so declined the bribe but did offer to give them a good review anyway providing their €4.99 pizza meal deal met my standards. It did not and they didn't get any review. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

shanmo wrote: »
    The establishment do kids eat free on Sunday.
    They can change the sign on that place as much as they like, it will never be good.

why..what was it called before?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Brimstone. Harris's. The Glasshouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I had food in there as Brimstone a couple of years back, I wish I was exaggerating when I said we waited over an hour to get our dinner served. It wasn't a busy evening at all, we didn't leave as I had heard good things about the food.

Absolute ****e, some burned goujons arrived out with disgusting sticky rice and a side of satay sauce. Refused to eat and left, I would never darken their door again no matter what name is above the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I had food in there as Brimstone a couple of years back, I wish I was exaggerating when I said we waited over an hour to get our dinner served. It wasn't a busy evening at all, we didn't leave as I had heard good things about the food.

Absolute ****e, some burned goujons arrived out with disgusting sticky rice and a side of satay sauce. Refused to eat and left, I would never darken their door again no matter what name is above the door.

I've never eaten in there. I did go for s drink once last summer and sat in the outside area upstairs. It's such a pity it's ran **** because it has such a nice outside area upstairs. So much potential but I think the place is ruined now.
    Very hard to get rid of a bad name even if it does change ownership in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I've never eaten in there. I did go for s drink once last summer and sat in the outside area upstairs. It's such a pity it's ran **** because it has such a nice outside area upstairs. So much potential but I think the place is ruined now.
    Very hard to get rid of a bad name even if it does change ownership in the future.

I totally agree. When it was Harris, it was such a great bar. Really nice crowd, and the outside area was lovely. It's a pity they didn't stay open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

A couple of years ago when it was Brimstone, I tried to book a table a few weeks before Christmas for 4 people. It was going to be midweek, but I got a spiel of how they were so busy and I'd left it too late (this was the start of November)
    Eventually they told me they could 'squeeze you in' at 6pm, but we'd need to be out again by 6.30 as they'd need the table.

I had a good laugh, told them exactly what they could do with their reservation and hung up the phone.

Pretentious shower of assholes :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    I totally agree. When it was Harris, it was such a great bar. Really nice crowd, and the outside area was lovely. It's a pity they didn't stay open.

It did have a very "swingers club" vibe tho when it was Harris ;)
    Everytime I passed one of the glass bowls I felt like I should drop in my car key and see where the night went ;)

Its current and many previous iterations are a good example of what is known as a phoenix company ;)
    I'd love to have the capital behind me to somehow repeatedly fail, yet change name continue trading and change SFA about how I operate ;)
    Most failed businesses learn a few lessons before they start to trade again, not blunder on as previous.

banie01 wrote: »
    It did have a very "swingers club" vibe tho when it was Harris ;)
    Everytime I passed one of the glass bowls I felt like I should drop in my car key and see where the night went ;)

Its current and many previous iterations are a good example of what is known as a phoenix company ;)
    I'd love to have the capital behind me to somehow repeatedly fail, yet change name continue trading and change SFA about how I operate ;)
    Most failed businesses learn a few lessons before they start to trade again, not blunder on as previous.

To quote rhubarb Crumble you sound like a pretentious asshole. A real keyboard warrior badmouthing a business like that and no proof only guff

To quote rhubarb Crumble you sound like a pretentious asshole. A real keyboard warrior badmouthing a business like that and no proof only guff

And what do you propose to do about it?

Tell you what, prove me wrong and point to an example of one of their successful businesses?
    A time when any of the iterations of that premises under their ownership was actually a well regarded and successful business perhaps?
    When it didn't have to pad out its Trip Advisor reviews?

Or care to point out what I said is incorrect?

Or are you just going to resort to name calling?

Hang on. I never said Banie was a pretentious asshole!

Hang on. I never said Banie was a pretentious asshole!

I know you didn't RC, our Brimstone fan was just paraphrasing poorly.

I know you didn't RC, our Brimstone fan was just paraphrasing poorly.

I.just used a phrase that rhubarb used. I do like that restaurant . I don't think it deserves the waffle you are spouting about it. . And I'm sure the staff wouldn't like the iterations you are spouting. I hate when a business that is trying hard to succeed and employing a lot of locals is trashed. Especially by someone like you

I.just used a phrase that rhubarb used. I do like that restaurant . I don't think it deserves the waffle you are spouting about it. . And I'm sure the staff wouldn't like the iterations you are spouting. I hate when a business that is trying hard to succeed and employing a lot of locals is trashed. Especially by someone like you

Someone like me?

What do you mean by that?

We know you like Brimstone, you keep posting about it.

I'll go with my opinion and the general consensus here regarding it however rather than your own ;)

I'm very happy to support good local businesses.
    I'm not so happy to bang on constantly about poor ones, and let's be honest...
    Look over the thread it's a poor restaurant.

Your taking the opinions of many of the people on here very personally...
    Or was it just the phoenix company reference that touched your nerve?

Someone like me?

What do you mean by that?

We know you like Brimstone, you keep posting about it.

I'll go with my opinion and the general consensus here regarding it however rather than your own ;)

As for proof, feel free to take a look at the company accounts, or those of their ( funny I almost said your!) previous companies.
    Including the debt judgements previously registered.
    All publicaly available info funnily, as are suppliers opinions and the notable lack of credit invoice terms extended of you'd care to talk to a few of the bigger ones.

I'm very happy to support good local businesses.
    I'm not so happy to bang on constantly about poor ones, and let's be honest...
    Look over the thread it's a poor restaurant.

Your taking the opinions of many of the people on here very personally...
    Or was it just the phoenix company reference that touched your nerve?
    I can genuinely say I don't now or ever owned as much as a fork in that restaurant. I genuinely like it. O know nothing about debt judgements against them. And I would not be the type of person that would look at their company accounts. That in itself says a lot about the type of person you are. What I will do is drop into the place and show the owners this thread and we can see what their opinion is on the muck raking. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Exciting stuff.

• Advertisement

I can genuinely say I don't now or ever owned as much as a fork in that restaurant. I genuinely like it. O know nothing about debt judgements against them. And I would not be the type of person that would look at their company accounts. That in itself says a lot about the type of person you are. What I will do is drop into the place and show the owners this thread and we can see what their opinion is on the muck raking. .

Feel free, I still dont understand what your fascination with what type of person I am is?
    As for my use of solocheck, I have professional use of it as well as substantial hospitality experience and similar with suppliers.

You have in your last 3 posts, made 3 personal comments regarding me rather than the topic at hand.
    Why is that?
    You do realize that the standard on boards is to attack the post? Not the poster?
    If you, and I do mean you...
    Care to refute or rebutt anything that I or any other poster have said about the standard on offer in your seemingly favourite eaterie, please do!

Don't revert to asking for proof, and then cry foul, or accussations of mud slinging when it is precisely what you asked for.

I would also note, that as a matter of courtesy, I did edit my post to remove the reference to the previous judgement ;) albeit for one of their previous iterations.
    It seems however to have crossed with your own reply.
    Not that I'm worried about litigation or anything else for that matter, as the truth is quite sufficient as a legal defence.

So feel free to edit your quote, or not.

I'm surprised however that you would consider this thread, and the opinions many have shared as muck raking?
    In the 1st instance, information was supplied that you requested? When you dont like the answer. it becomes muck raking?
    I'd call it warranted criticism.
    Criticism that ever taken on board, could drastically improve the standard of fare and service on offer down there but has in my experience and funnily enough the experience of many others who posted on this thread!

Been consistently ignored, why improve when you can change name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Alright, calm down, calm down!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Lads, are ye all hangry or something? Step away from the keyboard and cool down everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Morphious117

Explain DODGY.....??

Ok,

All of ye commenting on this thread. My name is Keith. I am the owner of Brimstone steakhouse now Establishment..! I have no problem answering any of your questions regarding my business..? I am a born and bread limerick man who has been in business in limerick for nearly 10 years. I have hired over 40 staff in this time ALL Limerick based. Yes i have made mistakes during that time, but never ever have I been dodgy. I have associated myself with DODGY people unknowingly and learnt from those mistakes. Maybe instead of criticizing local businesses support us and help us learn from our mistakes. I am not a money hungry business owner, i am in business to support my young family and the hard working staff that im also luck to call family.

Keith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I am getting the popcorn in now.

• Advertisement

Ok,

All of ye commenting on this thread. My name is Keith. I am the owner of Brimstone steakhouse now Establishment..! I have no problem answering any of your questions regarding my business..? I am a born and bread limerick man who has been in business in limerick for nearly 10 years. I have hired over 40 staff in this time ALL Limerick based. Yes i have made mistakes during that time, but never ever have I been dodgy. I have associated myself with DODGY people unknowingly and learnt from those mistakes. Maybe instead of criticizing local businesses support us and help us learn from our mistakes. I am not a money hungry business owner, i am in business to support my young family and the hard working staff that im also luck to call family.

Keith

All of which is great, and encouraging to support local is the point of this thread.

People commenting on this thread are simply giving their own experiences of visiting the business, and it’s previous Iterations, all of which are in the same premises and, from my knowledge, ran by the same people.

The name just seems to change when things go poorly.

Food is stayed the same, in the main and at least on a personal level I’ve never been blown away.

That’s all that the vast major on here are saying

Nothing overly personal on yourself/other staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What is your opinion on the recent tripadvisor reviews on your business?

I must admit I've never been to Brimstone nor establishment so can't account for the food quality, I'll make it my business to go there in the next week and I'll write an honest take on it as I do on a regular basis in this thread. I'm all for supporting local and Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Ok,

Keith

Would you consider hiring better staff? Honest question here.

HI,

We have a new system in place that we encourage our staff to ask customers for a TripAdvisor review on there visit (Good or Bad), Constructive criticism is always welcome so we can improve. We offer an incentive to our staff and ask customers to give a name of who served them so at the end of each month we can reward whoever has gotten the most. Its fun, keeps staff on there toes. We have obviously stepped up our game from when we were Brimstone and changed the name only because we wanted to offer something different. BRIMSTONE was a restaurant ESTABLISHMENT is designed to be a venue where you can EAT DRINK CHILL. Not just a restaurant...! I hope this answers any doubts people may have on why reviews are going up so fast, never have we PAID customers or offered incentives to CUSTOMERS to put up reviews. Google reviews are not as popular as TripAdvisor, but if you do look since our TripAdvisor has started, all our Google reviews match.

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

HI,

We have a new system in place that we encourage our staff to ask customers for a TripAdvisor review on there visit (Good or Bad), Constructive criticism is always welcome so we can improve. We offer an incentive to our staff and ask customers to give a name of who served them so at the end of each month we can reward whoever has gotten the most. Its fun, keeps staff on there toes. We have obviously stepped up our game from when we were Brimstone and changed the name only because we wanted to offer something different. BRIMSTONE was a restaurant ESTABLISHMENT is designed to be a venue where you can EAT DRINK CHILL. Not just a restaurant...! I hope this answers any doubts people may have on why reviews are going up so fast, never have we PAID customers or offered incentives to CUSTOMERS to put up reviews. Google reviews are not as popular as TripAdvisor, but if you do look since our TripAdvisor has started, all our Google reviews match.

Keith

When are you going to improve the standard of service and food? Both were utterly abysmal the time I was there...

• Advertisement

Hi Rocket,

Staff are your business, they are the front line, most of our staff are here 5-6 years. You cant buy loyalty. We continually try and up skill our staff with growing trends, but with the big money companies, I.E House, who we cant financially compete with, they can lose money for weeks on end and the banks will payroll them. We are a small family run business who support local companies and people.... I love seeing all the new businesses opening in limerick and being here 6 years shows we run a good clean business. Obviously we dont tick everyone's boxes but thats the business we are in everyone has personal tastes, just because you like a steak done one way, doesn't mean is not nice another way.

Keith

When are you going to improve the standard of service and food? Both were utterly abysmal the time I was there...

Not to mention the attitude problem that the majority of the staff seem to have.

Phileas,

Abysmal, very strong word..! I will point out what i said in my last comment, personal taste is someones given right. We are not always perfect and definitely have our off days. But as a whole we have received great reviews on our staff and food. But when we receive constructive criticism we try our best to rectify it immediately. No point being keyboard warriors and complain when you leave, lets us know where you (in your opinion) we went wrong and we MAY be able to fix it.

Keith

Ok,

Keith

Keith I mean this in the spirit of you continuing to operate and grow successfully.

Your friend Mr Fitz, hasn't really done you any favours.
    If you scroll back over the entire thread, and the references to the previous iterations of the business you will see that there is a very broad swathe of posters, myself included who have been in a few times find the same level of service and food standards.

It is quite often a fault of Irish restaurant customers in particular that they seldom complain at the point of service, then we/they bitch on the internet ;) rather than raise the issue at the time.

I am glad that you have one voice on here extolling the virtue of your premises. However wrong many others on here feel he may be.

It does have quite a lot going for it.
    Location and decor in particular.

On the other hand, apart from my 1st few visits back when it was Harris's, I have been disappointed in each return and have not been in there since the most recent name change.

The waiting, the generally poor service, more hit and miss than outrightly bad and the from my own experience of Dining with any more than 4 in a group.
    What I can only assume are line issues in the kitchen where whilst the food is all served at the same time, the amount of time spent under warming lamps by some of the dishes served was very noticeable.

You have obviously got great faith in your business, and that is a fantastic attribute to have.
    Couple that with your premises, the views from your terrace and what is genuinely good bar you have a great foundation.
    I honestly do wish you great and continued success down there, and small changes will bring you that.

Banie,

Location has and will always be our biggest problem, because we are that bit outside the town, we have to offer/change up more than others to attract attention. Thank you for your kind words and every bit of constructive criticism will help us change those few small things to get it right.

Keith

Keith, I'd agree your location has its challenges but it is a lot better as a night out option than it was in the early years. So quite often it was likely to be given a miss as there was no easy transit to a different venue.

A few years ago there was your place, then it was either a trip up town to Clohessy's or up towards Denmark st or down the Dock rd to Dolan's.

In the last couple of years the options closer to you for people to drink or eat in have come on hugely and that's the competition that I'd be pitching myself at.

McGettigans, House, 101 and the many options there and even the Glent Tavern and whatever Tom and Jerry's has become after its refurb ( really nice pub interior in there now)
    With the opening of the Hanging Gardens, and the already fairly large amount of Offices in your immediate area, that is the competition I'd be pitching myself against if it was my place.

You may not be able to compete on price, and IMO it's not always the best path to take.
    But a few high quality lunch dishes for daytime, some prosecco or beer offers for evenings, or a cocktail special on a weekly basis like ladies night or something.
    I'd do similar with the restaurant menu itself, 80% of your sales are likely coming from 20-25% of your menu, I'd look at paring the menu down to take advantage of that and then push a rotating special when something good pops up from the supplier.

My own hospitality experience is primarily bar based, years of successful experience overseas.
    I still fell on my arse in my bar in Limerick ;) the crowd here is fickle and it's hard to build a loyal following and even harder to rely on one.

Look at what you feel your competition is, in your case most likely McGettigans and House and focus on what you can do better than them and do that.

@Keith, not really related to any of the other things said on here but!

Well done on coming forward and addressing what we have said on this thread.
    I really do appreciate it, it's a sign of great integrity and willingness to get it right IMHO.

It's quite easy for many of us to post here with a cloak of anonymity, without worrying about being doxxes or similar (That said it would take only local of 5 minutes probably to do that to most of us ;) )

Its very refreshing to see a business owner come and be open both about the challenges they are facing and what they are doing to address those.

Well done, it's appreciated.

Yes well done
    I’ve only ever had a drink there twice on a very sunny day so can’t comment on food
    You have to let your TripAdvisor happen naturally not forced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Carriage House Adare Manor

We've had breakfast here a couple of times over the last month, the setting is very nice & after breakfast you can ramble around the grounds & up to the Manor itself so it can be a couple of hours if you wish.

Obviously as it's a 5* resort you're going to pay a bit more but the prices aren't outrageous, cheapest breakfast item is the Bakery basket, plain croissant, chocolate croissant, raisin danish at €6.00, the most expensive is the Carriage House Breakfast, two eggs, bacon, sausage, pudding, mushroom, tomato, tea or coffee at €16.00

The Carriage House Breakfast is the only breakfast item that includes one cup of tea or coffee, if you choose any other breakfast item & want tea or coffee it's extra, an americano will set you back €4.75 for example

Tap water is free & readily available, you will be offered bottled still or sparkling, that will set you back €3.50 for 350ml

We like the breakfast menu, food is good & service is pleasant, dress code seems to be smart casual, it's not a stuffy environment

All in all, very nice but if there are two of you & you like a couple of small enough cups of coffee with your breakfast, the bill soon mounts up

On the coffee, it clearly states on their menu that tea or coffee is served with the Carriage House Breakfast so is included in the €16.00, Adare has confirmed this to me via email, on both occasions I ordered this & the coffee was added to the bill as an extra so just something to watch, don't know if it's a case of the staff not understanding the menu or what the issue is, I didn't notice it the first time but brought it to their attention the second time & the bill was adjusted immediately with no fuss

I can see us going out there a few times a year for breakfasts, as a treat maybe the odd lunch or dinner too for a special occasion.

https://www.adaremanor.com/carriage-house/

No bother at all, i was only made aware of this thread this morning, not on Boards. I am an honest person who wants to see every business in limerick succeed. And have been a mentor to many young business people over the last few years. I will keep supporting local and always try my best to give the customer what they want. Just a side note to some people who commented here, i have no affiliation with any other businessmen in Limerick, left someone into my HOME (Bimstone) once and never again. Thanks to all and enjoy the Limerick win....

Keith

• Advertisement
Advertisement