Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Was there ever slave trading or slaves in Ireland.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

heres a link not related to the famine but to the cromwellian reconquest and subsequent slavery

http://www.ewtn.com/library/HUMANITY/SLAVES.TXT

In 1641, Ireland's population was 1,466,000 and in 1652,

an interesting point - did people make money out of it????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

on the subject of slaves does anyone know anything about the cumha, the female slave in ancient ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ignatius xavier pants

a cumhal was a female slave in early medieval ireland (400 - 1200 AD). the term also denotes a form of currency used in a barter society equivalent to 3 (i think) cows. Fergus Kelly discusses the various early medieval social ranks in his publication 'Early Irish Farming'. Female slaves would have worked in the house and the farm and carried out much of the mundane tasks such as cleaning, tending animals etc. emerging evidence form archaeological sites sites that female slaves may also have been used for activities such as cereal processing, particulary threshing, winnowing and grinding of grain which appears to have been a predominantly female activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

were there male slaves and what were they called.

could slaves be sold and what was their status like st patrick on escape could they be reclaimed.

i know that you had different grades of peasantry in ireland based on the brehon system up to the 1500s or so

what were they and how was it done to bind them to their master

i am trying to get an idea on whether the concept already existed in ireland and understand it. it should not matter to a slave who their master is if the terms are the same.

also, i seem to remember that post the black death in england peasants otherwise bound to their feudal lord fecked off to other lords for better terms which otherwise would have been unthinkable but they could do this because of the acute labour shortage. the breakdown in the system meant that the new lord would not give them back.

Advertisement