Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to get an electric shower fitted?

• 29-01-2015 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    Could anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to get an electric shower fitted? I have bought the shower already so just need it fitted and need to get the electrical wire as well.

Thanksh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It would have worked out cheaper if you let the fitter buy it. He claims back 23 percent vat and charges 13 and half percent. In Dublin you can get a triton t90z supplied and fitted for around 580 or 600. you'll probably pay around 400 if you supply the shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

That's going to depend on lots of things like, location of the shower in relation to the fuse board and water supply, type of wall unit will be mounted on stud or solid, will pipes and cable be chased or run surface, are the walls tiled, but id say 400 would be a start point

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jack1000

Yeah I would also agree with around 400 as a starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Op do you mean fitted from scratch or a shower replacement?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It would have worked out cheaper if you let the fitter buy it. He claims back 23 percent vat and charges 13 and half percent. In Dublin you can get a triton t90z supplied and fitted for around 580 or 600. you'll probably pay around 400 if you supply the shower.

Are you living in imagination land, are you seriously saying that a plumber buys the shower claims the vat at 23% and sells it plus 13.5% vat of his cost price?

• Advertisement

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Are you living in imagination land, are you seriously saying that a plumber buys the shower claims the vat at 23% and sells it plus 13.5% vat of his cost price?

You mustn't have read it properly.

Obviously the Shower fitter doen't sell the shower at all. If he did he'd have to charge 23% as it would be a retail sale.
    When a shower fitter supplies & fits a shower it becomes a service so the client pays only 13.5% for the job as a whole. This means the client only pays 13.5% vat on the shower. This 9.5% saving is passed on by me to the client

I could go to jail for trying to charge 23% vat on a service. I don't think jail would suit me so I try my best to stick within the law.:)

I could go to jail for trying to charge 23% vat on a service. I don't think jail would suit me so I try my best to stick within the law.:)

You don't have a clue how vat etc works, You do realise that if materials exceeds 2/3rds of the total cost in which case the rate is the material rate i.e 23%.

You don't have a clue how vat etc works, You do realise that if materials exceeds 2/3rds of the total cost in which case the rate is the material rate i.e 23%.

I own Dublins longest established shower repair & installation company. Of course I understand how vat is charged in my Business.

I said in my original statement that it's cheaper for the installer to supply the shower as he claims 23% vat back & then charges 13.5%. I stand over this statement. It would be illegal for me to charge 23% on an installation.

What part of this statement do you not get.

Shower installation should never come under the 23% vat rate because the labour should always be more than one third of the price.

On a full installation costing €580 Inc vat the materials account for around half of this.

I can fit A replacement triton t90z could be supplied & fitted for €285 & still just about be covered by 13.5 % vat.

Shower installation should never come under the 23% vat rate because the labour should always be more than one third of the price.

Ok so a plumber charges 400 euro to supply and fit a shower - shower costs 300 labour costs 100 - job is charged at 400 plus 23% vat - this is because 3/4 of the total bill falls under the 23% rate.
    Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Ok so a plumber charges 400 euro to supply and fit a shower - shower costs 300 labour costs 100 - job is charged at 400 plus 23% vat - this is because 3/4 of the total bill falls under the 23% rate.
    Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

They are la, la figures. A triton t90z costs a plumber €220 or less Inc vat. The going rate for a replacement is €330 supplied & fitted Inc vat. It would be illegal to charge €23% vat..

• Advertisement

They are la, la figures.

That is not what i asked you, do you agree with the vat in that statement or not?

That is not what i asked you, do you agree with the vat in that statement or not?

Name the shower you are paying €400 plus vat for only to charge €100 to fit. These figures don't make sense.

In over 30 years of specializing in shower installation, replacement & repair I have never been in a situation where I am paying €400 plus vat for a shower & only charging €100 labour.

Name the shower you are paying €400 plus vat for only to charge €100 to fit. These figures don't make sense.

If one can charge 400 for a shower why not, one hour quick replacement. Charging 100 for one hours labour is fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Mira vigor.......ok ok I'm not getting into this spat! Just saying like !:)

If one can charge 400 for a shower why not, one hour quick replacement. Charging 100 for one hours labour is fair.

Look you are talking rubbish. You are looking for an argument. You are confusing things for others reading this thread

The op said they have bought their own electric shower & want to know how much they should expect to pay to get it installed.

I pointed out that it is usually cheaper for the installer to supply the shower as they claim back 23% vat & (should) only charge you 13.5 % vat. This statement is fact. I would have clients in this situation 10 to 15 times per year & it always works out cheaper for them to return their shower to Woodies or wherever they bought it. They always save money by me suppling the shower.

It's not helpful to have you try to knock these facts. I'm trying to give op all the facts so they can make the best decision.

mad m wrote: »
    Mira vigor.......ok ok I'm not getting into this spat! Just saying like !:)

Mira vigour €235 Inc vat & I supply & fit for €360

13.5% vat

Sleeper, some might not get this but the plumber claims back 23% he paid for shower, then he charges 13.5% for labour. So in essence it would be cheaper for client and plumber wins also.

Mira vigour €235 Inc vat & I supply & fit for €360

13.5% vat

Sorry what's the one which would replace the old supajet? Think the transformer needs to be changed also...hmmm ok I'm going OT...

Actually that's a good price!

Sleeper, some might not get this but the plumber claims back 23% he paid for shower, then he charges 13.5% for labour. So in essence it would be cheaper for client and plumber wins also.

Thanks. I'm not trying to win an argument with him. I just think it's very unfair on the op for someone to deliberately try confuse.

Look you are talking rubbish. You are looking for an argument. You are confusing things for others reading this thread

I am not talking rubbish, i charge 400 for shower, 100 for labour. Charge 23% vat then. What is rubbish about that?

• Advertisement

I am not talking rubbish, i charge 400 for shower, 100 for labour. Charge 23% vat then. What is rubbish about that?

That's fair enough CJ, but you might have to wire back to fuse board or something else, sleeper is probably talking about a straight swop.

That's fair enough CJ, but you might have to wire back to fuse board or something else, sleeper is probably talking about a straight swop.

Im talking about a straight swap too, half hour job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

@CJ If what you are claiming is true then you are taking the absolute piss with your clients

There you have it. cj rips off the client by charging 400 Euro plus vat for a shower that everyone else charges 220 Inc vat. Cj wants to charge 600 Euro Inc vat for the same shower that everyone else charges 330 Euro Inc vat for.

Cj you have added nothing whatsoever to help the op in their questions. You are deliberately mucking about and trying to confuse the opportunity and the thread in general. I believe the term that describes you best is troll. :)

I rest my case. :)

Sleeper12 you do a straight swap, supply and fit shower what do you charge? Also no need for childish comments.

295/300 Inc 13.5% vat. We work on close to 1000 units per year. We go for quantity rather than a big payday

295/300 Inc 13.5% vat. We work on close to 1000 units per year. We go for quantity rather than a big payday

You charge 300 inc vat supply and fit?

295 north side of Dublin and 300 Southside. 295 all the way to Balbriggan. 300 as far as bray. 330 for navan. all inc vat 13.5%

• Advertisement

You only charge €15 for fitting shower so sleeper12.

Im talking about a straight swap too, half hour job.

Jesus....at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he ripped off people!

no. I charge 100 Euro Inc vat for a changeover. the norm in Dublin is 330 supplied and fitted

Jesus....at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he ripped off people!

You are making the presumption im fitting plain jane showers, i never said what brand or make they are. The ones i fit are Mira escape 9.8kw. I pass on an excellent price to my customers.
    As for the €100 that includes call out fee, and milage of 100km.

no. I charge 100 Euro Inc vat for a changeover. the norm in Dublin is 330 supplied and fitted

You said alot different in post 2.

in post 2 I am explaining to op how they'll pay more if they supply the shower. I clearly quoting figures for a full installation. these figures are correct.
    you asked how much I charge for a straight swap. answer is 300

Answer me this Cj, out of all of your comments on this thread can you point to one that has anything to do with the thread, or helps the op in any way at all? I come on here and genuinely try to help people with shower problems. I have helped plenty on here identify problems with their showers and advised them how to repair it themselves.

• Advertisement

Answer me this Cj, out of all of your comments on this thread can you point to one that has anything to do with the thread, or helps the op in any way at all?

I have told the op properly how vat and how its applied. You said its not possible to charge 23% vat on a shower job which is untrue.

I'm guessing it's cowboys like you charging nearly 500 Euro for a shower with a list price of 250 Euro that had the op go out and buy the shower themself.

In the real world an electric shower being installed will always be 13.5 vat and never 23 vat

I'm guessing it's cowboys like you charging nearly 500 Euro for a shower with a list price of 250 Euro that had the op go out and buy the shower themself.

In the real world an electric shower being installed will always be 13.5 vat and never 23 vat

If you read my earlier posts its the mira escape 9.8kw im referring to, dont be presuming stuff.
    In the real world where you do a simple shower change the job is charged at 23%. You are working for €15 per job which you should apply 23%.
    Your accountant will know this basic stuff.
    Calling people trolls and cowboys just because they have more knowledge than you and knowing the facts is mere childish.

You honestly expect anyone to believe that the main shower you fit the dearest electric shower you can find on google? Go to bed you fool.

You honestly expect anyone to believe that the main shower you fit the dearest electric shower you can find on google? Go to bed you fool.

Where did i post it was the main one, again another presumption. A fool now thats classy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ngoc

295 north side of Dublin and 300 Southside. 295 all the way to Balbriggan. 300 as far as bray. 330 for navan. all inc vat 13.5%

Hi Sleeper12.
    We are looking for installing totally new electric/power shower (we never have it before; still use immersion system). I have read the threads here on boards.ie so i just would like to ask if you still run your business in this area (electric shower installation/setting up/replacement). If so can we have your business contact details so we can call in to discuss about the service we would like to have and for the quotation? I tried to P you but the boards didn't allow me to do that as I do not have enough post here in the foru (25).
    Many thanks in advance
    Regards
    Ngoc

ngoc wrote:
    Hi Sleeper12. We are looking for installing totally new electric/power shower (we never have it before; still use immersion system). I have read the threads here on boards.ie so i just would like to ask if you still run your business in this area (electric shower installation/setting up/replacement). If so can we have your business contact details so we can call in to discuss about the service we would like to have and for the quotation? I tried to P you but the boards didn't allow me to do that as I do not have enough post here in the foru (25). Many thanks in advance Regards Ngoc

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi Sleeper. Looking for a quote for an electric shower installation.
    Can you pm me please

• Registered Users Posts: 17 colinmis

PM sent

Hi Sleeper12, I'm also looking for a new installation of an electric shower. Can you provide a quote?

colinmis wrote: »
    Hi Sleeper12, I'm also looking for a new installation of an electric shower. Can you provide a quote?

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Some crazy stuff going on here....anyway sleeper helped me out with great advice so I would think he is talking some sense

If I wanted to go the other way. I have a power shower off immersion and also a T90si, the silent one, if I wanted to replace the T90 with a shower off immersion is it an easy job?

House is bungalow, immersion is not a huge distance away, similar distance to the other power shower

At the moment the T90 has a single feed off the water tank, it’s a block wall with tiles, I guess this could be issue as I would need cold and hot water feed?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Some crazy stuff going on here....anyway sleeper helped me out with great advice so I would think he is talking some sense

If I wanted to go the other way. I have a power shower off immersion and also a T90si, the silent one, if I wanted to replace the T90 with a shower off immersion is it an easy job?

House is bungalow, immersion is not a huge distance away, similar distance to the other power shower

At the moment the T90 has a single feed off the water tank, it’s a block wall with tiles, I guess this could be issue as I would need cold and hot water feed?

The hardest part is getting hot feed to the power shower. At a push you could run it surface down the wall & into the shower. Wouldn't be the prettiest thing but some people opt for this till they are ready to tile the bathroom. If you don't want to run it surface then you will need to chase out the wall. This will require tiling afterwards.

Triton have a new Silent power shower launched last week called the Triton Novel SR. It has the exact same motor as the Triton T90SR & this motor is bulletproof. I I were to put a pump in a box type power shower in my own home this is the one I'd go for. Better quality than the Aqualisa Aquastream that retails at double the price & isn't as quiet.

I should point out that the thread started almost 5 years ago. You wont get a full installation for 500/600 now. Regs changed & cable is more expensive. The cost of the showers went up too. The T90so is around 30/ 40 more expensive than 5 years ago. I remember them on offer in B&Q for 180 each. Those days are over now unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Are these in the same unit ? or different units.

I guess im wondering what you want to do.

Reason i ask is i have a Pumped shower from immersion in my shower but also a Triton electric. The pumped for when theres hot water in the tank the other for when there isnt. best of both worlds imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Curious as to the (seemingly) high costs mentioned in this thread. I can see Triton showers on screwfix for under €100.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/triton-enrich-electric-shower-white-10-5kw.html

Maybe I'm falling for marketing or missing something but IIRC Triton was always regarded as a decent brand?

Would be looking to get something like this in to replace an existing Mira Elite 2 in a year or so. Would I really be looking at the guts of €400 to get the new unit installed?! A "like for like" replacement of an electric shower looks fairly straight-forward to me and TBH, if it weren't for the legal requirement to have it carried out by a professional I'd have little fear about tackling the job myself.

Not having a dig Sleeper12, I understand that a business has overheads, insurance etc. to cover but it seems expensive for a relatively straight-forward job? Are you noticing a rise in people choosing to ignore the legislation and opt for the DIY route?

• Advertisement
Advertisement