Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Baseball

Options
  • 15-02-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in joining a Boards fantasy baseball league for the coming season?

We could set it up on ESPN or one of the other sites, no preference here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I'm up for joining.

Yahoo Sports would be my recommendation. Only cos thats where I play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd love to join in plz!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

5 in. Great.
    We probably need another 3 minimum.
    Anyone any thoughts on H2H or Roto? AL or NL or both? Making it a keeper league?

• Advertisement

boccy23 wrote: »
    5 in. Great.
    We probably need another 3 minimum.
    Anyone any thoughts on H2H or Roto? AL or NL or both? Making it a keeper league?
    I think Roto and both leagues is a good start. A live draft would be cool aswell maybe the week before the season kicks off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Played ESPN last year.
    Didn't really grasp the difference in the H2H or Roto?
    Could someone explain with reference to 'soccer' ;-)

Would be up for AL and NL.
    Is a Keeper League one that continues each year?

Coeus wrote: »
    I think Roto and both leagues is a good start. A live draft would be cool aswell maybe the week before the season kicks off :)

I definitely think both leagues is important for getting as many as possible involved. However, I do lean more towards H2H than roto. I reckon a midweek evening for the draft? After working hours but not the weekend when people are more likely to have plans. I take it we're looking for a straight pick draft as opposed to an auction?

Played ESPN last year.

Yea, a roto league you are trying to get the best total for each category (most HRs, Best batting ave, lowest ERA etc) over the course of a season.

Head to head you are doing this over the course of a week against one oppenent. Every category you beat your opponent you get a win, every category you lose to that opponent you get a loss. The wins-losses is totted up over the season to determine standings and seedings for playoffs. This is more excited but probably a bit more work.

Yea, a straight schoolyard pick draft would be the easiest. Season starts on the 31 March so a live draft early that week would be ideal so injured players can be avoided and starting line-ups and rosters confirmed.

Coeus wrote: »

Head to head you are doing this over the course of a week against one oppenent. Every category you beat your opponent you get a win, every category you lose to that opponent you get a loss. The wins-losses is totted up over the season to determine standings and seedings for playoffs. This is more excited but probably a bit more work.

I just think this way is easier to keep everyone involved over the whole season. If you have a weak team from the start and don't trade well then you can feel like you're out of it. Whereas H2H your team can beat any other any given week. Last year I had 2 of my biggest hitters (undroppables) out for the second half of the season and couldn't trade for them. I was way down in batting stats for the rest of the season but had won enough games early and won enough odd games near the end by chance that I scraped into the playoffs. In a roto I would have just faded completely.

I guess it depends on how much people think they will be active in terms of trades etc. And also the website we use. Honestly I've played both and will happily go with either. My vote is for H2H though.

And yes! Happy with a straight-pick live draft. The draft is probably the best part of the year!

• Advertisement

Hi All. Sorry have been off-line for a couple of days.

I also happen to like the H2H format because as 8-10 mentioned, it gives you a chance to recover from a poor draft, injuries etc. It also can keep your interest right to the end of the season becuase each week is a different week.

A complete MLB draft it is then and I would also think a draft on a weekday night approaching the end of March would make sense.

Let's try and get the number above 8 so we can have a min without haveing to own two teams or the like. Ask your friends or family to try and get the members up.

Played ESPN last year.

Coeus has mentioned the differences between H2H and Roto. In soccer terms, the difference would be like a Cup versus League competition.

H2H is on a week by week basis against one member of the league. Over the course of the season you will play each member a number of times. At the end of the season, the top four in terms of record will play off for the League winner. This is the playoffs. it will be #1 v's #4 and #2 v's #3. The winner of these then play each other for the overall league winner.

In Roto it is a league basis where each catagory is warded points based on the total in each catagory. So there will be a standrad 5x5 league which would have 5 batting catagories and 5 pitching catagories. If in Home Runs for example, the person leading in an 8 team leagure would then be awarded 8 points and the person who is last would get 1 point. This is the same for Batting Average, Runs, RBIs and Steals. In pitching it is Wins, ERA, WHIP (Walks & Hits per Innings), Strikeouts and Saves. Again the best in each catagory gets 8 points and the worst 1 point. On a day by day basis, the sum of each of your scores, (a maximum of 80 points based on 8 teams in a 5x5 format) is tabulated and the highest sum is top of the league and it continues on down.

Roto is maybe a truer reflection of a complete season and your ability to manage your team through injuries, slumps etc. But if you are out of it early, then it is hard to get back and the best may be 4th or 5th place. In general with Roto systems, there are no playoffs.

Just a note, playoffs in H2H are not held during the playoffs, but in the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season.

I know this is a bit long winded but hopefully it will help explain the difference and help you with the game in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

ya i'd be willing to get into that definitely. pm me details and i'll join

So the consensus seems to be for a head to head league, Im good with that...

Are we gonna go with the standard scoring categories (Runs, HR, RBI, SB, Bat Ave, Wins, Saves, Ks, ERA and WHIP) and standard rosters?

I would think a standard scoring system as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RotoChamp

I'm an American living in Sligo and have created software to help people with their fantasy baseball drafts. If you are interested, check out http://www.rotochamp.com/Software/SoftwareMain.aspx.

I've also done some pretty extensive SABR driven projections, plus we have CAIRO and Bill James projections on our site.

Thought you guys might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I'm interested in joining a fantasty baseball league, if there are still places left. I'm a rookie, though I do play fantasy football (American, not soccer), so I am familiar with drafts, H2H etc. Looking for a fantasy fix to get me through the football off-season.:)

If someone can pm me with details i'd be grateful. My preference would be for a standard scoring system, the least complicated set up would be best for me as i haven't played before. I may know someone else who might join too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I'd be interested if you still need people.

Hi folks. I would be thinking a standard 5x5 scoring. This is as follows:

Runs
    Home Runs
    Runs Batted In
    Stolen Bases
    Batting Average
    Wins
    Saves
    Strikeouts
    Earned Run Average
    (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched

With Mick in as above, this gives us a total of 8 so far.

I think a 10 team league would be great, so we will hold over for 2 more. Once we have them (fingers crossed) then I will set up a Yahoo league and send invites to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tumbling_dice

I'll join too. It'll be nice to play against people in the same time zone for a change. I generally play ESPN but Yahoo is fine. I'm not suggesting it for this, but has anyone checked out the new Fangraphs fantasy? Looks really good, you have to pay but I'm definitely going to get at least one team in there.

• Advertisement

Welcome on board. We have 9 now so 1 more and w ewill have a great 10 man Head to head league.

I'll PM you to get an e-mail address as needed.

I have just registered my team (Henry Le Cheat III) in the league. Draft time on March 30th is good for me.

Red Sox play the Yanks in a hour or so gonna watch for while and get that first viewing hit of the (pre) season.

I'm in, draft is fine for me too, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭bit of red72

I'd like to make up your tenth man if there's still a space. Completely new to this but would love to give it a try...

Welcome on board.

PM me your e-mail address so that I can send the invite.

Hi Folks

That should be 10 teams. We will keep it open for a bit and see if another 2 people join.

In terms of the league, a question for everyone.

We can have 2x5 team divisions. The playoffs are then the top 2 in each division. Or just a straight 10 team league and the playoffs are the top 4. What would people rather?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

If theres still any spaces available then il join :D no worries if theres no space though !

Welcome on board. Will Pm you with an e-mail address.

This gives us 11 commited and we have 3 weeks to get a 12th. I'll probably cap it at that.

Hi Folks

That should be 10 teams. We will keep it open for a bit and see if another 2 people join.

We can have 2x5 team divisions. The playoffs are then the top 2 in each division. Or just a straight 10 team league and the playoffs are the top 4. What would people rather?

I think 2x5 might work out better for what it's worth. No real preference between the 2 though.

• Advertisement

Hi Folks

I think everyone in the one league will be best so everyone gets to play each other.

I see you added an extra IF position. Do we need the 2nd Util position then? What is the cap on innings for the league?

Advertisement