Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

great win for boSox. Jaybus the tigers are awful so far. For such a heavy lineup they're hitting (or missing :p ) like kids. They're killing my fantasy team too :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Cards off to a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I know it's ridicoulously early in the season, but man Accardo - thats two nights in a row. Tonite was just ugly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Yeah like you say an interesting start. Been very impressed with jays so far and to a lesser extent the rays.

First post in Baseball. It's a sport I'm finally getting into. The Ms might complete the sweep today against the Rays. Shaky start to the season here. Wow, it can be a frustrating game to watch. Game 3 against the Orioles on Sunday is a case in point. Felix has an 8 inning shut-out but they only have a 2-0 lead and the 2 relievers they use in the 9th manage to balls it up and give up 3 runs to lose the game.

I don't understand most of the nuances of the game or most of the lingo but hope to get to a few games during the season and try to figure some of it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

giddyup wrote: »
    First post in Baseball. It's a sport I'm finally getting into. The Ms might complete the sweep today against the Rays. Shaky start to the season here. Wow, it can be a frustrating game to watch. Game 3 against the Orioles on Sunday is a case in point. Felix has an 8 inning shut-out but they only have a 2-0 lead and the 2 relievers they use in the 9th manage to balls it up and give up 3 runs to lose the game.

No-Ed Jackson moves to 2-0 who would have thought!
    I don't understand most of the nuances of the game or most of the lingo but hope to get to a few games during the season and try to figure some of it out.

I picked it up pretty quickly. I think you learn more by watching on TV than going to games, but that's not to say that you shouldn't go to games....

Nice to have the opportunity-Ms are my pick for the West this year.

• Advertisement

If you get into like i did, you'll spend many, many a day watching!!

You'll pick the lingo n all that jazz up in no time especially if get to watch games. Pick up a mlb.tv subscription if you can/dont have it yet. Great for games especially with condensed games coming back.

Mariners will always be in with a shout at the end but I'd still fancy Angels for the west depending on Lackey and escobar coming back sharpish.

Edit: Just seen both Lackey and Escobar are on 30 day dl. I thought it was 15 day. Changes that division big time. Gives the Mariners a big edge.

Apparently its the first time ever a team has had to play 30+ games without two pitches with 18+ wins the year before. History in the making :p

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Red Sox - Yankees series kicks off tonight.. Was just reading that Buchholtz grew up a yankees fan!! Hope he doesnt feel to generous towards them!! On the hitting side, its probably just what Ortiz needs as he always seems to hit against the Yankees and could do with some after a very very slow start.. Should be interesting to see if Girardi has any effect on this rivalry. Always seemed that Torre and Francona had lots of respect for each other but Girardi seems to me anyway to be a little hot headed, so could add a new dimension.. As for the pitching matchups i reckon that the first 2 games go either way (Yanks tonight and Sox tommorrow) and Sunday should be a good one (Dice-K and Hughes).. Shame its on ESPN sunday night, meaning its after 1 here, so no chance of watching that as i wouldn't be able to get up for work.. Highlights on Monday morning will have to do..

After havin several things planned for tonight, everything has fallen into place, plans cancelled and im now ready with the beer.

Come on Yanks!!!!

Mad_Max wrote:
    Mariners will always be in with a shout at the end but I'd still fancy Angels for the west depending on Lackey and escobar coming back sharpish.

There's no point in the Angels getting to the playoffs unless they can avoid the Red Sox when they get there :D.

Ho-hum. After cruising through the first 4 innings it starts to unravel for Clay- but saved by a double play with the bases loaded.

Come on Papi-hit something!

Wang has been pretty damned effective so far. 49 pitches for 5 innings.

Not liking how close you's were getting there, 3 fly balls right out there and then the homer. Thought bobby could have nabbed that one.

Tight game. Buchholz curveball has kept him in this game imo. Its quality and his only pitch regularly hitting the zone.

• Advertisement

If wang can keep the ball down he has the pitch count on his side to go very deep.

Was worried with 4 very long fly outs with a homer in between coming off a sinkerballer. But good bounce back inning there.

Give the lad some offence PLEASE!!!!!

Wang has pitched well alright.. Sox dont seem to be working him hard enough. Too many first/second ball outs..

And then that from Giambi.. Welcome back Mike!!

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Wang has pitched well alright.. Sox dont seem to be working him hard enough. Too many first/second ball outs..

Biggest reason yanks aren't hitting so far this season too!!

Btw side note: See c.c giving up another 9 runs over 3 1/3. Rotten start to season for him.

watched a little of it.. he gave up 12 hits, looks very hittable at the moment.

Wonder will they let Wang go all the way if he continues to dominate or bring in Joba/Mo later??/

I think they'll go to Joba and Mo tbh. Id love to see Wang go all the way though.

i'd let him go for it if i was Girardi.. why not, his pitch count is still very low.. its probably the best i've seen Wang..

70 through 7. He's pitched really well in all 3 starts but yeah this would probably be the best. He's moving away from the sinker more than i thought. A lot of fastballs tonight.

This outing deserves the win.

Edit: Damn it Abreu. Needed a hit from hit to keep my Fantasy Beat the Streak going.

i can begrudgingly agree!!!!!!! in fairness, outstanding.. he really deserves the chance to complete.. its not as if Mo has been unhittable against us..

Looks like we'll get an 8th out of Wang anyway.

Any of you guys play Beat the Streak on mlb.com?? It's frustrating the hell outta me :) But hey i'll take frustration for the chance of a million dollars!

played it for a few seasons but never got anywhere.. kept forgetting to log in and pick after doing it for a few days!!

Imagine Wang is on batter by batter basis, still a 2 run game i suppose.

• Advertisement

Wow, he's still there only 79. Gotta be in with a shout of finishing it. Still few too many long fly balls for my liking. He leaves one up just a tad more and its gone.

Edit: Timlin's line does not look good:
    Inn H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Timlin 0.1 2 2 2 0 0 1 54.00

theres your streak alive!

All is forgiven bobby!!! I'll split the mill with ya :D

Great effort from Wang, fully deserved. Decent outing by Buchholz, top drawer curveball!!!

Anyway i'll enjoy tonight, have a feeling Beckett / Mussina wont end as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Great news peeps!!! Friend just got an email from mlb tv saying that condensed games will be back

General word on the net still seems to be that they're not coming back...have you anymore info?

No, the guy who got that mail has been out of the country for a bit so haven't been in touch. It seemed a promising mail, Hopefully they weren't just fobbing him off.

Time to write my own mail :D

Tip of the cap to Wang, thumbs down to Tito for bringing in Timlin for his 2008 debut in such a tight game against such a dangerous lineup (his numbers against Juicer Giambi notwithstanding). Mind you, would David Aardsma or Javier Lopez have got the hold? I doubt it.

Amazing efficiency from Wang, although a lot of flyball outs suggests that he wasn't that good, he was good enough to throw a complete game in less than 100 pitches. I was also impressed/surprised with his velocity-not used to seeing him throwing that hard.

Abreu probably should have got the Drew HR (but, hey, doesn't JD look a bargain now :D).

Nice small ball from the Yanks as well.

I think the Red Sox bullpen definitely needs a boost. Either that or Dice-K, Buchholz and Lester need to starting throwing fewer pitches.

Great game so far. Beckett was immense through 5. Was happy enough with moose tbh, couldnt expect much from him with practically just a curveball left. (Although he took ortiz with fastballs :D)

Damn it i hate manny :P You just know he's the one whos gonna kill you if you give him a chance. Pity the rain stopped it there, papelbon wasn't fully ready i dont think and a-rod finally got someone ahead of him to drive home it could have been good.

On the condensed game issue, talked to another guy who got a mail saying they would be back but no date set. I can't see why they'd say they'd be back if they have no intention of doing it....... but wouldnt put it past them. Ive sent a mail quoting the other mails looking for definitive confirmation/timeline. I'll post back when/if i get a response.

Can't understand why they didn't walk Manny with first base open.. I respect Youk and think he is a good hitter but why bother dealing wih Manny!! I'll tak it though.. getting a little tense now though.. another 20 mins at least before its back.. lets hope Paps can get A-rod!

• Advertisement

exactly it was crying out for him to walk him. You just cant give manny them chances especially when you're only throwing 87mph fastballs. He'd already homered off him, mistake by girardi i think.

Thought he might have went with Joba straight away too. Stretch him over 2 then let mo go 1 and 1/3. Bruney done ok but I don't think Joba gives up that last run. Especially after getting the day off last night.

Some good 2 out hitting today though.

Advertisement