Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason Thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Doogs27

Not just an MRI but an MRI been done by James Andrews. Never good news when you hear he's involved.

They're regretting that big contract now. How much guaranteed did he get does anyone know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Doogs27 wrote: »
    They're regretting that big contract now. How much guaranteed did he get does anyone know.

MLB contracts are 100% guaranteed unlike the NFL so whatever he signed for, that's what he's getting.

MLB contracts are 100% guaranteed unlike the NFL so whatever he signed for, that's what he's getting.

That I did not know! Risky business.

No surgery for Price afterall. Looks like they dodged a bullet there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

No surgery for Price afterall. Looks like they dodged a bullet there.

Not sure that's the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Thor throwing 99 yesterday. Good luck NL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Igotadose wrote: »
    Thor throwing 99 yesterday. Good luck NL :)

Mets have one of the best pitching rotations on the NL if they all stay healthy , hopefully they can reach the post season again for the 3rd consecutive season.

Harvey pitched yesterday. Not overwhelming , but he looked to be in great physical condition, no more drooping stomach over the belt. Didn't exactly overpower Houston but hit in the low-90's on the gun. All good. Apparently pitched with a bit of a stiff neck too. Great to see him back on the mound, guy's paid his dues for sure.

Mets supposedly interested in Brett Lawrie for the infield. I thought he was going to be the next big thing when he broke in with Toronto, seems like he faded.

SO and ground into a DP for tebow on his first cuts as a DH for the mets this spring. It'll be interesting to see how he does in A-class once he's (somewhat) out of the spotlight.

• Advertisement

SO and ground into a DP for tebow on his first cuts as a DH for the mets this spring. It'll be interesting to see how he does in A-class once he's (somewhat) out of the spotlight.

I'm playing the ostrich here and have my head in the sand as I refuse to acknowledge his existence as a baseball player.

I'm playing the ostrich here and have my head in the sand as I refuse to acknowledge his existence as a baseball player.

Look as an LSU fan I hate the sight of him, and every god channel/espn promo he does makes me cringe but honestly I'm a little intrigued just for the fact that he won't be instantly in the spotlight, if he makes the show he gonna have to earn it. That's said, chance are zip...... shot to nothing by the mets and they sell some tickets at whichever affiliate he ends up at.

Look as an LSU fan I hate the sight of him, and every god channel/espn promo he does makes me cringe but honestly I'm a little intrigued just for the fact that he won't be instantly in the spotlight, if he makes the show he gonna have to earn it. That's said, chance are zip...... shot to nothing by the mets and they sell some tickets at whichever affiliate he ends up at.

I'm going against what I said earlier by acknowledging his participation in a game and I also hate small samples, especially in meaningless spring training games but so far he's struck out looking twice, GIDP and the one time he got on base (HBP) he got picked off 1st.

I'm going against what I said earlier by acknowledging his participation in a game and I also hate small samples, especially in meaningless spring training games but so far he's struck out looking twice, GIDP and the one time he got on base (HBP) he got picked off 1st.

Yeah smallI sample but that's bad..... 'michael' bad.

I won't get back the 15 minutes I watched yesterday. Here's what they're saying about Tebow's next start - yes, he's getting one (From today's NY Daily News):
    ---

"For Tebow’s sake, the Mets ought to leave him on the minor-league side for the rest of spring training. Instead he’ll be in the lineup on Friday, Terry Collins said, and he’ll play the outfield as well.

To which a scout who saw him several times in the Arizona Fall League said:

“I hate to say it but he’s actually a better hitter than he is an outfielder.”

He swore that wasn’t a punch line."
    ---

I swung the bat better at his age, and I was nearsighted and much fatter then. Bleh.

I saw 1 at bat from Tebow when watching the game yesterday. Strike out with bat speed that looked really slow. Obviously that's the definition of a small sample size but the bat speed struck me.

I'm not too surprised he's getting these starts, yesterday and Friday are both split squads so surely with 2 games in a day for a split squad it increases the number of players required?

It's spring training so little harm. At least then when he's eventually demoted nobody can say he wasn't given a proper chance. That's what Spring is for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Is he too musclebound for baseball?

Is he too musclebound for baseball?

Let me check out Cespedes in April and.get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Let me check out Cespedes in April and.get back to you.

Tebow is a good bit bigger than Cespedes height wise and about 25lbs heavier at the very least, alot more difficult for someone taller with that muscles mass.

Tebow is a good bit bigger than Cespedes height wise and about 25lbs heavier at the very least, alot more difficult for someone taller with that muscles mass.

Agreed. Don't mistake me for a tebow sympathiser, I'm anything but, however he has shown freakish athletic ability for someone with that frame. I know batting mechanics won't necessarily have the same parameters as natural agilty, power etc but by all accounts (pinch of salt as he's their own player) people inside the organisation have said he's a freak athelete.

Agreed. Don't mistake me for a tebow sympathiser, I'm anything but, however he has shown freakish athletic ability for someone with that frame. I know batting mechanics won't necessarily have the same parameters as natural agilty, power etc but by all accounts (pinch of salt as he's their own player) people inside the organisation have said he's a freak athelete.

He's giving it a go and I think it's all genuine. There is no doubt he could be playing as a TE in the NFL if he wanted to so I think the baseball thing is a real thing for him.

He probably wont make it but he is giving it his all.

• Advertisement

Can I come back? Is all the Tebow talk finished...????

Sorry but as a Mets fan, the rest of spring training coverage has been hijacked by talking about Tebow. Not his fault I know but I'm sick of it at this stage. The sooner he's back in minor league camp the better.

Sorry but as a Mets fan, the rest of spring training coverage has been hijacked by talking about Tebow. Not his fault I know but I'm sick of it at this stage. The sooner he's back in minor league camp the better.

Not alot to talk about man to be fair to Tebow, definitely he's intriguing. He is spending alot of time with Daniel Murphy, that can only be a positive. Ultimate professional is Murph apparently.

Talking of Mets minor leaguers*, an article on the Irish Times website today about PJ Conlon who was born in Belfast. Ok, he left Ireland at 4 so it's not like he just went over there and made a team but the article goes into irish pitchers back in the day and is well worth a read.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/the-belfast-boy-who-could-end-ireland-s-72-year-major-league-baseball-drought-1.3002762

* and a minor leaguer who actually has a chance to make it

Talking of Mets minor leaguers*, an article on the Irish Times website today about PJ Conlon who was born in Belfast. Ok, he left Ireland at 4 so it's not like he just went over there and made a team but the article goes into irish pitchers back in the day and is well worth a read.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/the-belfast-boy-who-could-end-ireland-s-72-year-major-league-baseball-drought-1.3002762

* and a minor leaguer who actually has a chance to make it

Saw him pitch yesterday. The commentator, upon hearing he was born in Belfast thought it hilarious to quip "well he got the hell out of dodge! ....You know, because of the troubles and that whole mess over there"

Might be paraphrasing a little but let's just say it wasn't that funny

8-10 wrote: »
    Saw him pitch yesterday. The commentator, upon hearing he was born in Belfast thought it hilarious to quip "well he got the hell out of dodge! ....You know, because of the troubles and that whole mess over there"

Might be paraphrasing a little but let's just say it wasn't that funny

I saw that myself and was quite taken aback. It was keith Hernandez of all people who said it and he's quite articulate and comes across as being intelligent so his ignorance was a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tebow is the talk of any team's pre-season. It's an absolute joke tbh. Ok, he's probably going to generate more buzz given that he's going to a completely new sport but I remember when he was with Philadelphia Eagles and he started 6 snaps during pre-season and all the talk was about him and how can he influence the team going forward.

It's a freak show and he is generating buzz based on being a complete flop.

Not even a Mets fan but it does my head in.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Tebow is the talk of any team's pre-season. It's an absolute joke tbh. Ok, he's probably going to generate more buzz given that he's going to a completely new sport but I remember when he was with Philadelphia Eagles and he started 6 snaps during pre-season and all the talk was about him and how can he influence the team going forward.

It's a freak show and he is generating buzz based on being a complete flop.

Not even a Mets fan but it does my head in.

I know I'm going against my 'try to ignore Tebow' rule by commenting about him again but I'm pulling my hair out here. ESPN's Mets Blog page used to be a great source for Mets news but the main reporter has left so they're using a lot of agency stories now but I just had a look and the most recent TEN stories on the site are all about Tebow.

Zach Wheeler had his first start in 2 years Friday, Harvey's fastball is down, Cespedes is mashing the ball so far in ST but oh no, let's report on the Tebow circus. I'd expect this from TMZ or something but isn't ESPN supposed to be a serious sports site?

Hopefully with him being sent back to minor league camp, it will get back to normal. At least until he goes 0-4 in his debut for the Brooklyn Cyclones or wherever he ends up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

isn't ESPN supposed to be a serious sports site?

:D

No. Stop reading it Jack. :P

No seriously, just stop. :eek:

Sigh.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19007945/new-york-mets-lefty-steven-matz-miss-spring-start-elbow-tenderness

Summary: Tenderness, skipping a start. Got knocked around a bit by Miami in his previous one. Depth to be tested for sure.

They have Gsellman ,Wheeler and Lugo , I reckon Gsellman could get the 5th spot , Lugo could be brought in for Matz , Wheelers pitch count will be limited this season .
    Edit . .Gsellman has gotten a spot in the pitching rotation (according to SNY) , it was just announced 2 minutes after I originally posted .

• Advertisement

They have Gsellman ,Wheeler and Lugo , I reckon Gsellman could get the 5th spot , Lugo could be brought in for Matz , Wheelers pitch count will be limited this season .
    Edit . .Gsellman has gotten a spot in the pitching rotation (according to SNY) , it was just announced 2 minutes after I originally posted .

Really got lucky last year with Gsellman & Lugo, and Lugo's pitched masterfully in the WBC. Glad to see Gsellman's gotten a spot, he's earned it. And, he'll be able to swing the bat this year :)

Now I just want ST to be over, end the injury risk and get the season started, just a week away though... LGM!

Really looking forward to the new season and opening day , Mets have one of the best pitching rotations in baseball and as a unit look good with great depth , lets just hope there wont be as many injuries as last season , would love to be going to a game this season , managed to go to 10 at Citi Field last season and 1 Yankee game

oh boy, so excited for the season to start. Nothing better then walking home from work on a summers evening and just as you pass the stadium, decide to pop in for the game. The sounds, the smells...getting giddy typing this

Estrada
    Happ
    Stroman
    Liriano
    Sanchez

:pac:

oh boy, so excited for the season to start. Nothing better then walking home from work on a summers evening and just as you pass the stadium, decide to pop in for the game. The sounds, the smells...getting giddy typing this

Estrada
    Happ
    Stroman
    Liriano
    Sanchez

:pac:

Do you go to many Blue Jays games ?

Do you go to many Blue Jays games ?

Yep, I would say I have been to between 15 and 20 each of the last 2 seasons.

I live less than a 10 mins walk from the stadium and you can get week night ticket for $10 - $12 so I can just decide last minute.

As the season goes on they get pricier (assuming they do well again this season) but yeah I am very lucky!

I live less than a 10 mins walk from the stadium and you can get week night ticket for $10 - $12 so I can just decide last minute.

As the season goes on they get pricier (assuming they do well again this season) but yeah I am very lucky!

I was in a similar situation last season , I was a few train stops on the 7 line away from Citi Field , went to 10 games altogether and got 9 wins , the loss was the game where Syndergaard got ejected for throwing the ball behind Chase Utley

the loss was the game where Syndergaard got ejected for throwing the ball behind Chase Utley

I was at that game too. But of the couple of hundred pitches thrown that night, that was the one I wasn't paying attention for and missed!

I was in early enough for the 86 ceremony (which was good), saw the pitch , Adam Hamari was the Umpire that night

• Advertisement

I was in early enough for the 86 ceremony (which was good), saw the pitch , Adam Hamari was the Umpire that night

Did you get the ring? I wasn't in the first 15,000 or whatever it was so missed out. I was in with the 7 Line Army that night and had a great night despite the result. I'd love to go on one of their road outings at some stage.

Did you get the ring? I wasn't in the first 15,000 or whatever it was so missed out. I was in with the 7 Line Army that night and had a great night despite the result. I'd love to go on one of their road outings at some stage.

The ring was the previous night as far as I can remember , Definitely want to sit with the 7 line army at some stage and go on one of their road outings, Id say it was class sitting with them in the big apple reserve , games I went to while there was , Giants , Braves , Nationals, Brewers , Dodgers, White Sox , Pirates , Royals , Cubs and Marlins , go to go to a Cyclones and Yankees game also.

The ring was the previous night as far as I can remember , Definitely want to sit with the 7 line army at some stage and go on one of their road outings, Id say it was class sitting with them in the big apple reserve , games I went to while there was , Giants , Braves , Nationals, Brewers , Dodgers, White Sox , Pirates , Royals , Cubs and Marlins , go to go to a Cyclones and Yankees game also.

If you're ever in the NJ area, the Somerset Patriots are a very enjoyable minor-league team, Atlantic League and not affiliated with any major league team. You often get to see major leaguers trying to make it back - I went to a couple games where Tim Raines played for them before making his last return to the Majors, a few years ago. Very enjoyable park and great NJ food - subs, cannoli, ...

http://www.somersetpatriots.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Got tickets for 4th home opener in a row (Mariners on April 10th). Should hopefully be able to add to this collection

ZI677JI.jpg

Got tickets for 4th home opener in a row (Mariners on April 10th). Should hopefully be able to add to this collection

Jealous... I lived outside Seattle for 10+ years. Went to a couple home openers, and interleague Mets games. Probably will be back in the area for a couple months in the summer.

West Seattle has Bakery Nouveau. Best pastry outside Paris we've ever had, and they'd give a lot of Parisian bakeries a run for their money. There's also a branch in Cap Hill, same great stuff and closer to the Safe.

PM me if you want more details about places to see in Seattle/Things to do. The best restaurants are in Portland, which is 3.5 hour drive south but worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement