Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭john jameson

Ordered some this evening, along with some kindling and a dumpy bag of compost of all things. Hopefully it's good!

EDIT: Noticed that they have some apple wood chips, no idea if they are any good or not put I didn't find it on their site the first time around:
    https://surefirewood.ie/collections/5-vat/products/bbq-apple-wood-barbecue-chips?_pos=1&_sid=0664fd61d&_ss=r#jumptosection
    Iv ordered a few times from surefire and happy with the quality of the goods ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Has anyone a Weber Smokey Mountain? And how have they found using lumpwood charcoal in it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Blisterman wrote: »
    Has anyone a Weber Smokey Mountain? And how have they found using lumpwood charcoal in it?

I do. Mixed results, it really depends on the weather. If it's a cold and windy day just stick with briquettes and you'll have less fiddling to do.

When I lived in Arizona it was always sunny so I used lumpwood plenty of times.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just got delivery there from surefirewood.ie (only ordered Wednesday so it was fast), was in between meeting so I just took a very quick look and the first piece i took out of the bad was a monster size! If thats an indication of what else is in the bag it should be good for the BBQ but it probably too big for the ooni (we normally use a mix of kindling and lump)

In a side note, you don't really get much notification around delivery, had a missed call at 1:55, tried to ring back a couple of times around 2 o'clock, couldn't get through. He rand back again at 2:30 to say he dropped it outside my shed beside the forklift, but the problem with that is I don't have forklift! Poor guy went to wrong house. He was calling out my ericode (which we have never had a problem with before) and he was in the general vicinity of my house (as in he went out the right road from the town ) but he must have put it in wrong because as far as we could tell he was no where near the house. Seemed like the pallet broke on him too so it was ordeal to get it back on the truck. He did find his way here with the eircode at the second time of asking so I assume it was a wrong code the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Really good yeah. Last cook was a lovely calm sunny day so I closed all the vents halfway and it went for 10 hours on just over half a bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Currently christening this badboy, its the most excited I've been in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Pork butt on this morning.

[IMG][/img]51121051411_969b1cdfc3_n.jpg20210417_091443 by CBR Lover, on Flickr

5 Hours in 162 deg

[IMG][/img]51120479502_edd16ba677_n.jpg20210417_141012 by CBR Lover, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

luketitz wrote: »
    Very nice looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Cool! How long did the chicken take to cook on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Tried another set up on the KJ for pizza today. This time I was able to get it really hot and the pizza turned out pretty awesome. Any more than 3 or 4 pizzas though and I'd say the bottom would start burning, it's a fine art to get it right! I've come to the conclusion that you can definitely get similar results to an Ooni on the KJ but it takes a fair bit of effort and charcoal to get it just right. I have been Googling the Ooni a bit recently so now I'm seeing ads for them everywhere and will probably find it hard to resist!

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    Tried another set up on the KJ for pizza today. This time I was able to get it really hot and the pizza turned out pretty awesome. Any more than 3 or 4 pizzas though and I'd say the bottom would start burning, it's a fine art to get it right! I've come to the conclusion that you can definitely get similar results to an Ooni on the KJ but it takes a fair bit of effort and charcoal to get it just right. I have been Googling the Ooni a bit recently so now I'm seeing ads for them everywhere and will probably find it hard to resist!

It looks great! There’s something special about the flame on a proper pizza oven though that cannot be replicated on a kettle or kamado. That’s why I tell my wife I need both..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Webers on the way out, hope it,ll get through to autumn to pick up another 1 on sale. Given 10 good years of service living out in all weathers. had to repair the legs on it a few years ago after the welds rusted off.

20210417-114522.jpg

Cool! How long did the chicken take to cook on that?

1.8kg chicken took 2.20, the pork took 2.5, well worth the wait! ;)

1.8kg chicken took 2.20, the pork took 2.5, well worth the wait! ;)

Any after pics?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭willabur

neris wrote: »
    Webers on the way out, hope it,ll get through to autumn to pick up another 1 on sale. Given 10 good years of service living out in all weathers. had to repair the legs on it a few years ago after the welds rusted off.

20210417-114522.jpg

Is it wrong I just gave this post a soldiers salute

Any after pics?!

No, sorry, didn't even think of pics then, hungry mouths were watering all round! ;)

20210417-114522.jpg

Maybe I’m blind, but what’s wrong with it?

they/them/theirs

The metal between the vent hole and vent has rusted away.
    Brian? wrote: »
    Maybe I’m blind, but what’s wrong with it?

The metal between the vent hole and vent has rusted away.

I see it now. She's obviously given you great service

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Iguarantee

I have the 37cm/14" smokey mountain and I only use lumpwood with it (because that's pretty much the only fuel I buy).

I like it, but I did some research first, this guy has an excellent range of videos on the smokey mountain, he makes a point of saying the type of smoker/grill used is pretty much irrelevant if you set it up right:

I don't use blocks of wood to smoke, I just have a bag of Weber chips which I mix in with the lumpwood.

Results are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Just reverse seared a fillet steak on the kettle. Bit thin for it but the results are incredible

Anyone ever use the bottom of a Weber smoker for a BBQ grill? I need a stand, tripod, table I suppose. Anyone come across foldable steel tables?

I see it now. She's obviously given you great service

Have had it years and spent a bit on it aswell buying accesorirs and replacement parts. Only bought a sear grate, rotisserie and charcoal grate after new year but will be buying the same model again. A great bbq

The Nal wrote: »
    Anyone ever use the bottom of a Weber smoker for a BBQ grill? I need a stand, tripod, table I suppose. Anyone come across foldable steel tables?

I have when I've finished a smoker and people are over for a party I'll grill on it. It's a pain in the arse bending down but I'm not sure I'd feel good about it standing on something higher, too easy to tip over

they/them/theirs

I have when I've finished a smoker and people are over for a party I'll grill on it. It's a pain in the arse bending down but I'm not sure I'd feel good about it standing on something higher, too easy to tip over

That's why I'm looking at a steel table or something. No point buying a kettle when I basically already have one. Kettles are too low anyway. Knee height BBQing is poor.

That's why I'm looking at a steel table or something. No point buying a kettle when I basically already have one. Kettles are too low anyway. Knee height BBQing is poor.

I'm 6ft 3 and my kettle is waist height

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Newbie question on what to use..... Charcoal or Lumpwood? I an coming over from a gas setup and so not sure of difference

I was in a local store and Weber had bags of each.

I am just looking to light up my BBQ for burgers and sausages etc.... and the odd steak on a Sat night. So which should I buy. ??? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Masala wrote: »
    Newbie question on what to use..... Charcoal or Lumpwood? I an coming over from a gas setup and so not sure of difference

I am just looking to light up my BBQ for burgers and sausages etc.... and the odd steak on a Sat night. So which should I buy. ??? Many thanks

I think I speak for everyone on this forum by answering your question with "either one" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Iguarantee

Masala wrote: »

Why not try both?

I prefer lumpwood personally but the weber briquettes are great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭dingbat

Yep.

I've the small WSM and have used the bottom as a grill a few times. Haven't bothered with a stand or anything; just set it on the ground. Works like a charm, in a rough and ready way.

Advertisement