Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

Wolftown wrote: »
    Yes I agree with this, briquettes will definitely give a longer burn and I'd also turn to Weber if doing a long cook.

I've done 18 hour cooks on a single load of lumpwood in my Kamado Joe and still had some of the charcoal left for re-use.
    This idea that lumpwood burns faster is rubbish, it depends on how well controlled your fire is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

fitz wrote: »
    I've done 18 hour cooks on a single load of lumpwood in my Kamado Joe and still had some of the charcoal left for re-use.
    This idea that lumpwood come faster it's rubbish, it depends on how well controlled your fire is.

Is “a load” the SI unit for charcoal? :)

The reason I use briquettes is they burn more evenly, because they’re all the same size. Lumpwood isn’t, so I’m eliminating a variable.

All kamodos will use less charcoal that metal bbqs. But I’ll get 10 hours out of a 4kg bag of Weber briquettes On my smokey mountain I’m summer. Less in winter.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

Brian? wrote: »
    Is “a load” the SI unit for charcoal? :)

The reason I use briquettes is they burn more evenly, because they’re all the same size. Lumpwood isn’t, so I’m eliminating a variable.

All kamodos will use less charcoal that metal bbqs. But I’ll get 10 hours out of a 4kg bag of Weber briquettes On my smokey mountain I’m summer. Less in winter.

I'm not putting down the use of briquettes... Your reasoning makes sense. I use the 12 kg blue bags of lump, sourced from Woodfuel.ie. I will get at least 4 low and slow cooks of 12+ hours out of a bag (can't say I've noticed massive difference based on time of year either). I don't really experience much variability in burn time based on irregularity of the shapes or sizes of the lump...I do take a bit of time to make sure it's set right so there's no bits propping other pieces up that will fall as the fire burns. I've used other lumpwood when stuck, and haven't found it as good. For high temp cooking, I haven't found briquettes as easy to use...not saying it can't work, I'm just saying this is what's worked for me.

My point is that I know from experience that this recurring thing about lumpwood burning faster and not being suited to longer cooks is just not accurate. I think what you're using the fuel in is a bigger variable than irregularity of lumpwood pieces... Kamados being the prime example for retaining and radiating heat for a very even, miserly burn of fuel over a cook.

I think the best advice is no matter what your bbq, try out whatever fuel you can so you figure out what gives you the best results with your setup. Goes back to your point about value... Consistent, easy results is what we all want. Find what does that for you, and if it's a couple of quid more than an option that you find harder to set/control/maintain your fire with, then that extra is probably good value. Everyone is going to have a difference sense of what value means to them.

I think we're can all agree though, anything that says "quick light" should be avoided!

fitz wrote: »
    I'm not putting down the use of briquettes... Your reasoning makes sense. I use the 12 kg blue bags of lump, sourced from Woodfuel.ie. I will get at least 4 low and slow cooks of 12+ hours out of a bag (can't say I've noticed massive difference based on time of year either). I don't really experience much variability in burn time based on irregularity of the shapes or sizes of the lump...I do take a bit of time to make sure it's set right so there's no bits propping other pieces up that will fall as the fire burns. I've used other lumpwood when stuck, and haven't found it as good. For high temp cooking, I haven't found briquettes as easy to use...not saying it can't work, I'm just saying this is what's worked for me.

My point is that I know from experience that this recurring thing about lumpwood burning faster and not being suited to longer cooks is just not accurate. I think what you're using the fuel in is a bigger variable than irregularity of lumpwood pieces... Kamados being the prime example for retaining and radiating heat for a very even, miserly burn of fuel over a cook.

I think the best advice is no matter what your bbq, try out whatever fuel you can so you figure out what gives you the best results with your setup. Goes back to your point about value... Consistent, easy results is what we all want. Find what does that for you, and if it's a couple of quid more than an option that you find harder to set/control/maintain your fire with, then that extra is probably good value. Everyone is going to have a difference sense of what value means to them.

I completely agree the bbq makes much more difference than the fuel.

Weber kettles and smokers are much more susceptible to bad weather. Keeping a stable temperature on a cold windy day can be hard work. I’m going to eliminate all the variables I can.

I agree with the rest of your post. It’s what I’ve been saying all along. There is no one right charcoal.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

How much do people pay for a 12kg “blue bag” restaurant grade?

Wood supplier near me has them online for €20, which feels like reasonable value just wanted to check before I bought that there wasn’t a better deal elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭con747

How much do people pay for a 12kg “blue bag” restaurant grade?

Wood supplier near me has them online for €20, which feels like reasonable value just wanted to check before I bought that there wasn’t a better deal elsewhere

Scroll back up a bit you will see posts on this offer.
    https://surefirewood.ie/collections/surefire-special-offers/products/24kg-restaurant-charcoal

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Our Everdure Hub just landed as a summer treat seeing as we won't be going anywhere, beast of a yoke.. now to raid the butcher for some rotisserie-able meats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

luketitz wrote: »
    Our Everdure Hub just landed as a summer treat seeing as we won't be going anywhere, beast of a yoke.. now to raid the butcher for some rotisserie-able meats!

Nice! Never heard of these before.

budgemook wrote: »
    Nice! Never heard of these before.

Bit of a gimmick rolled out by Heston Blumenthal a few years back, the rotisserie thingy sealed the deal for us though, trying to get my hands on a suckling pig to christen it with now haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I am very very new to all this. I bought a bighorn (tee hee, I know) charcoal grill last week. It has the main cooking chamber and the side smaller chamber. Can anyone tell me, what's the idea of the smaller chamber on the right. Is it just extra cooking space or is it for something different like smoking etc?

I am very very new to all this. I bought a bighorn (tee hee, I know) charcoal grill last week. It has the main cooking chamber and the side smaller chamber. Can anyone tell me, what's the idea of the smaller chamber on the right. Is it just extra cooking space or is it for something different like smoking etc?

Big chamber is where the meat goes. Small is where the fire goes:

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-set-and-modify-offset-smokers-and

Some of that won't make pleasant reading, given the smoker you bought.

they/them/theirs

Big chamber is where the meat goes. Small is where the fire goes:

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-set-and-modify-offset-smokers-and

Some of that won't make pleasant reading, given the smoker you bought.

Can I just put charcoal in the main cooking chamber and use it that way though?

I doubt it. That's not what it's built for. It's a smoker, not a grill

Take some pictures of the inside and I will tell you.

they/them/theirs

I doubt it. That's not what it's built for. It's a smoker, not a grill

Take some pictures of the inside and I will tell you.

Will do. The manual itself says to put charcoal in the main chamber and a small bit of charcoal in the side chamber. The side smoker part also has cooking grills? I have no idea what I'm at but I used it once and the food tasted OK to me. A bit dry but that was my own fault

Will do. The manual itself says to put charcoal in the main chamber and a small bit of charcoal in the side chamber. The side smoker part also has cooking grills? I have no idea what I'm at but I used it once and the food tasted OK to me. A bit dry but that was my own fault

Ah ok, then you're grand. Did you read the article I linked?

they/them/theirs

Ah ok, then you're grand. Did you read the article I linked?

Yeah, it wasn't pleasant but the manual for the smoker is giving me solace. It indicated that I should put 2.5kg of charcoal in the main chamber amd 1.5kg in the side part. I tried that and it seemed to be OK but like I said I'm a complete novice all advice on greatly accepted

trying to get my hands on a suckling pig to christen it with now haha!

I tried 3/4 years ago but they wouldn't sell me one.
    It's not profitable to sell a small pig over feeding it up and butchering it,or so I was told.
    Hopefully you have better luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah. If you're just grilling food theres no need to put charcoal in the side grill unless you're also grilling on that. But you've loads of space on the main grill.

If you're smoking food, use the side box only and the chimney will regulate the temperature.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah. If you're just grilling food theres no need to put charcoal in the side grill unless you're also grilling on that. But you've loads of space on the main grill.

If you're smoking food, use the side box only and the chimney will regulate the temperature.

Yeah, this was kinda my way of thinking going on the manual instructions. Thanks for that Nal

I tried 3/4 years ago but they wouldn't sell me one.
    It's not profitable to sell a small pig over feeding it up and butchering it,or so I was told.
    Hopefully you have better luck.

Found a place (Ryan's meats) but it's €75 a kilo.. might have to stick to the chickens til we've a proper occasion on our hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

How have people been finding the surefire lumpwood? I need to buy something and this seems decent value at least. Or does anyone have any different suggestions?

I'm currently using Diall stuff from b&q which is completely inconsistent, some bags are pretty good and some bags are pure dust.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive something like that and piece of rubbish as a smoker. They're too small and metals too light. A decent American style off set is a few hundred quid. Better off just sticking coals in tje main chamber and use it as a grill.

Found a place (Ryan's meats) but it's €75 a kilo.. might have to stick to the chickens til we've a proper occasion on our hands!

Yea I remember the one fella that would sell me one wanted 500e or something.

neris wrote: »
    Ive something like that and piece of rubbish as a smoker. They're too small and metals too light. A decent American style off set is a few hundred quid. Better off just sticking coals in tje main chamber and use it as a grill.

I did exactly this this evening and it worked a treat.

How have people been finding the surefire lumpwood? I need to buy something and this seems decent value at least. Or does anyone have any different suggestions?

I'm currently using Diall stuff from b&q which is completely inconsistent, some bags are pretty good and some bags are pure dust.

Thanks

Haven't tried surefire but agree on Diall, very hit n' miss!

Just ordered a few bags of Marienburg from Charcoal Direct for my new grill, I've heard it's great gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

I'm actually waiting for a quote from FXBuckleys. I'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ordered the Surefire 2 x 12kg late Sunday night; they arrived this evening. Not used yet, but they're bloody big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ordered the Surefire 2 x 12kg late Sunday night; they arrived this evening. Not used yet, but they're bloody big!

Ordered some this evening, along with some kindling and a dumpy bag of compost of all things. Hopefully it's good!

EDIT: Noticed that they have some apple wood chips, no idea if they are any good or not put I didn't find it on their site the first time around:
    https://surefirewood.ie/collections/5-vat/products/bbq-apple-wood-barbecue-chips?_pos=1&_sid=0664fd61d&_ss=r#jumptosection

Advertisement