Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

Dempsey wrote: »
    2000mah battery, tell me more!!

It is slightly bigger than the standard battery and comes with a new backplate. People are getting ~25% extra battery life.

There's a good discussion at XDA.

MobileFun has it for €32.48 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Looks great but the extra thickness will probably mean that case is not the right fit for the upgrade :(

Dempsey wrote: »
    Looks great but the extra thickness will probably mean that case is not the right fit for the upgrade :(

Here's a list of compatible cases that fit the S2 with the 2000mah battery...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1274045

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I will be buying that battery, thanks!

In fact is that the biggest battery available? I wouldnt mind doubling the weight and thickness.

In fact is that the biggest battery available? I wouldnt mind doubling the weight and thickness.
    I spotted this 3500mah clunker...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1123068

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Sound, well I am currently carrying around a G1 so I wouldnt mind the weight/size.

The only problem is I can imagine the camera would work the same, the pics seem to show the battery sticking out a lot and possibly messing with the angles it would pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is the phone worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

irishgeo wrote: »
    is the phone worth it?

Defo! 100% worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

Going to pick up an SII this week, really looking forward to getting my hands on one. Big decision is where the best deal for the handset is, still not quite sure! The all you can eat data on three sure is tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads sometimes my s2 will switch from the dim display setting to bright but still tell me its on dim. anyone else having this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Jilm wrote: »
    It is slightly bigger than the standard battery and comes with a new backplate. People are getting ~25% extra battery life.

There's a good discussion at XDA.

MobileFun has it for €32.48 delivered.

Just put 2.3.4 on mine (rooted it again) and used Titanium Backup Pro to remove a load of the Samsung bloatware apps. I wiped the phone and I haven't got everything reinstalled but the battery life is significantly better. The feel of the phone and some annoyances are better too, I haven't changed the default launcher this time.

Going to check out this battery too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

got very bad battery life yesterday.
    lost 50%+ in 2 hours during the day - culprit touchdown email causing wakelocks again (uninstalled again)
    then lost a steady 15% over the evening, assumed down to browsing etc.
    put phone onto airplane, silent and night screen as usual and woke up this morning to low battery alert and the remaining 25-30% of my battery trickling away
    culprit this time, footmob scores and again partial wakelocks.

both uninstalled now and phone charging - unfortunately i have to reinstall touchdown when i am on call to make my life easier, i just keep forgetting to uninstall it as it seems to just get worse and worse after a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

mobile internet notification.

cant figure out what the notifications are on phone.

at top of screen when i enable data i get a mixture of 3G - G - H+ notification that keeps changing. theres also an orange arrow and green arrow underneath these notifications.

what do these values mean? i know what 3G is obv.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Lazy question here.

I have a SG2 which was originally Vodafone, I rooted and unlocked it and have an O2 sim card now in it. What firmware would I want to put on it to bring it to the latest Android. I don't want a custom one, I've heard the official one was leaked but does it matter what provider the phone was using?

Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

mobile internet notification.

cant figure out what the notifications are on phone.

at top of screen when i enable data i get a mixture of 3G - G - H+ notification that keeps changing. theres also an orange arrow and green arrow underneath these notifications.

what do these values mean? i know what 3G is obv.

G is for GPRS (WAP) it is 2G data,
    E is for EDGE (2.5G),
    H is for HSPA (3.5G) -the best data connection

On default setting phone tries to get 3G/HSPA network, and if there is no signal then will switch to 2G, but if you are in a poor 3G signal area this can be battery sapping as mentioned before and you may be better off putting your phone on 2G only, and then switching to 2G/3G auto if you are browsing. Switching off 3G is one of the few things that will give you a very noticeable battery improvement imo.

If phone is switching a lot between 2G and 3G it may be worth switching off Fast Dormancy. You'll have to stick that into the search box up the top as I've explained it before and ......... well it confuses me so don't want to muddle myself up again.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Lazy question here.

I have a SG2 which was originally Vodafone, I rooted and unlocked it and have an O2 sim card now in it. What firmware would I want to put on it to bring it to the latest Android. I don't want a custom one, I've heard the official one was leaked but does it matter what provider the phone was using?

Any links?

www.samfirmware.com

Zagato wrote: »

Which firmware would I need do you know? Or does it matter?

Baseband version: I9100BUKG1

Kernal Version: 2.6.35.7-I9100BUKG2-CL342890
    [EMAIL="root@DELL102"]root@DELL102[/EMAIL] #2

Build Number: GINGERBREAD.BUKG2

Well you are going to be updating all of those things if you flash one of the official firmwares, and follow the instructions on the site.

Remember that this will most likely wipe your phone, so back up. It will not root your phone.

The custom ROM I'm using is based on the leaked European KI3 Firmware that's available there. When you extract the RAR file, you will have a number of files to put into the different sections in Odin.

Remember read and reread the instructions before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Was waiting for the iphone 5 to be announced (and we all know how that turned out :rolleyes:) so I'm getting this. What's the cheapest place to get it online?

I'm in a contract with Three until January, If I bought it on prepay with them how long would I have to wait to have it unlocked? Or could I just root it and unlock it with an app?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

ShaneU wrote: »
    Was waiting for the iphone 5 to be announced (and we all know how that turned out :rolleyes:) so I'm getting this. What's the cheapest place to get it online?
    Keep an eye on http://www.adverts.ie/
    I bought mine new (box opened) for €400 back in June.

Might seem alot, but I didn't want to be tied into a contract.
    Or could I just root it and unlock it with an app?
    Yes you can.

I'm in a contract with Three until January, If I bought it on prepay with them how long would I have to wait to have it unlocked? Or could I just root it and unlock it with an app?

Thanks.

Usually carriers have an amount you have to spend on prepay phones rather than a time period, before they will give you unlock code. There are apps that will attempt to find the unlock code (which require root) but you cannot be guaranteed this will work until it does, if you catch me, carriers are getting wise to these apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I can get it brand new and sim-free off amazon for €480, seems like a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I can get it brand new and sim-free off amazon for €480, seems like a decent price.

That's €100 less than I paid for mine the day they launched. Got mine off eBay for €580.. Best phone I've ever used tbh and couldn't wait to get it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

So now that the dust has settled, but swapping screens could see it stutter, there was occasionally lag whereby nothing would happen for a few seconds and then all the commands would come through and the SD card had a really annoying habit of unmounting itself. This was all before Gingerbread mind you, so it may have had as much to do with the OS itself. Also Kies made me want to eat my own face with frustration.

I don't get the delay thing "lag" myself. Maybe I just bought a "good" phone, but I don't get the whole thing.
    I suspect Apple robots at work sending posts everywhere.
    To be honest, you would have to be a muppet to slow your phone down this much. Or a spammer, just looking for attention.

Zagato wrote: »
    Well you are going to be updating all of those things if you flash one of the official firmwares, and follow the instructions on the site.

Remember that this will most likely wipe your phone, so back up. It will not root your phone.

The custom ROM I'm using is based on the leaked European KI3 Firmware that's available there. When you extract the RAR file, you will have a number of files to put into the different sections in Odin.

Remember read and reread the instructions before you start.

Thanks, got that all set up now running 2.3.5. So it really doesn't matter so much about that stuff just get the latest European release for the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Anyone know what the little refresh symbol on top is, it kind of looks like a recycling sign with two arrows forming a circle?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its the Sync symbol. Its when accounts are syncing (Google, Facebook, Viber etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Its the Sync symbol. Its when accounts are syncing (Google, Facebook, Viber etc)

Ah that makes sense, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Anyone know what the little refresh symbol on top is, it kind of looks like a recycling sign with two arrows forming a circle?
    It's the power saving mode symbol.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 46 08mor

hi all, have an s2 since july, however sometimes when im at home using the wifi and a call comes through, when i answer the call i cannot hear the other person, but the other person can hear me, is there anything i can do to prevent this happening?? thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's the power saving mode symbol.

If power saving mode is on, is there any way of making that symbol disappear until such time as its in effect. Don't like the icon there all the time, thought it would make more sense to come in when the battery is at whatever percentage you set.

Advertisement