Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I don't really want snow yet. Lucky its FI charts but the 28th I am on study leave for an exam on the 3rd December.

I was also on study leave in March with the snow, it was a massive distraction which trying to study.

Once it's the 4th it can be pure snowmageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I think we're all waiting for the ECM in an hour or two before commenting on the latest GFS :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's like asking Mum for biscuits, she says no, so you go to Dad instead for a yes answer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1063073630249250816

An exceptional December pattern, swap out 'northeast' for Ireland and the UK in that tweet.

Exceptional indeed, that's certainly an epic 500mb height anomaly for cold and snow if I ever saw one. Legendary even! Just for fun, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It's like asking Mum for biscuits, she says no, so you go to Dad instead for a yes answer :D
    looks like Dad is opening the cookie jar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

kittyn wrote: »
    Where did you shoot that? I know the road but I just can't place it lol

Firhouse road, across the road from St. Endas GAA club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nice forecast from M. T. this morning,a bit of a tease!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Eagle's love of colder weather was obvious on radio this morning. He said “Looks cooler next week but that’s next week, the weekend looks good"

Got to love his no-nonsense updates, no time for this FI nonsense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

After Saturday it will be a long time before its as mild again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

pauldry wrote: »
    After Saturday it will be a long time before its as mild again.

Bring it on & fingers crossed for a hape of snow at some stage this winter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Paddy Power have a white Christmas at Dublin Airport at 5/1 at present. In light of what has been discussed here is it worth a flutter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Bring it on & fingers crossed for a hape of snow at some stage this winter

Yeah that would be brilliant wouldn’t it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

Eyes down due the eagerly anticipated 12z.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Paddy Power have a white Christmas at Dublin Airport at 5/1 at present. In light of what has been discussed here is it worth a flutter?

Nope, not worth the odds IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wouldn't be betting on a white Christmas. I've only ever witnessed 2 white Christmas's in my lifetime. Also the far reaches of FI for what their worth show the upcoming cold spell ending during the first 10 days of December and hinting at a return to the Atlantic after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Latest GFS makes short work of that easterly and has us in a southerly flow in 10 days.

Bloody rollercoaster making me nauseous

Not at all.

GFS Fi not the best. but in the short term europe going in the fridge, cool/cold for us in an easterly flow. general theme still looks very good. blocking all over the place and vortex under pressure. great model watching

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That 12z

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

ECM 12z will be very interesting after that GFS run. Talk about rollercoasters!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I have to say when there’s model disagreement of any form in the run up to a forecasted cold spell/build up to it, it doesn’t bode well in my experience.

The snowy spell of last Feb/March was remarkable in that model support for a shift to cold weather was solid from about a week out IIRC. Downgrades were expected but they never came (usually if there’s cross model disagreement, a mild solution usually wins out to some extent, even if it’s on its own for a while). As far as I can tell it was similar during the run up Nov/Dec 2010 (although I wasn’t actively following models back then so I’m open to correction on this).

Call me paranoid but we’ve been here many times before, and it’s early in the season so we may be a tad optimistic after last winter’s spectacular finish.

esposito wrote: »
    ECM 12z will be very interesting after that GFS run. Talk about rollercoasters!

At the moment we are just getting out of the car at the theme park. ticket desk next week, then standing next to it for 3 month thinking will I wont I .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

At the moment we are just getting out of the car at the theme park. ticket desk next week, then standing next to it for 3 month thinking will I wont I .

Then we get in the queue....for ages....get to the top of the queue, and it closes, due to technical problems!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Then we get in the queue....for ages....get to the top of the queue, and it closes, due to technical problems!

Due to the weather :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is why yesterday I was saying that I'm not going to get excited yet.

This up coming cold spell is nothing like the cold we had last February/March. We are currently several degrees warmer than normal for the time of year and there is going to be a very gradual cooling over the next 5 to 10 days. We are still in Autumn, Winter doesn't begin for anther 2 weeks and there is currently no proper cold anywhere in Europe.

We need this cold spell to build and build with a high moving over to Greenland so the real cold air can filter from Siberia during the final few days of November and into the start of December. It's not till the end of this month where snow potential is possible, eastern Europe should be much colder by then than it is now.

The last few days of November is still a long way off, roughly 10 days of cooling down before we get to the good stuff and there is every chance this will upgrade or downgrade several times before the fun even begins. For now all it is, is an interesting Observation.

If this goes belly up, no huge loss as winter hasn't even started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    This is why yesterday I was saying that I'm not going to get excited yet.

This up coming cold spell is nothing like the cold we had last February/March. We are currently several degrees warmer than normal for the time of year and there is going to be a very gradual cooling over the next 5 to 10 days. We are still in Autumn, Winter doesn't begin for anther 2 weeks and there is currently no proper cold anywhere in Europe.

We need this cold spell to build and build with a high moving over to Greenland so the real cold air can filter from Siberia during the final few days of November and into the start of December. It's not till the end of this month where snow potential is possible, eastern Europe should be much colder by then than it is now.

The last few days of November is still a long way off, roughly 10 days of cooling down before we get to the good stuff and there is every chance this will upgrade or downgrade several times before the fun even begins. For now all it is, is an interesting Observation.

If this goes belly up, no huge loss as winter hasn't even started yet.

That's 100% common sense Gonzo. Could go either way but the current signals are very encouraging given its only the 16th November. And the best part (as you've rightly pointed out) is that Ireland's meteorological winter doesn't start until the 1st December so AN AWFUL LOT to play for!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Does anyone remember the week before the first cold shot in November 2010 it was unseasonably warm too or is my mind playing tricks on me??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ECM is meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Netweather meltdown In 5,4,3...

Advertisement