Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticknock: How to find blue/easier trails

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Technically Eurosceptic is just the top section of trail that starts near the Wicklow Way. The first bit that comes off the tarmac is Kiddies Highway as far as the clearing, then the next section is Tom's Climb I guess. Tom's was actually a much more technical trail in that area but then they built a new trail over most of it and that seems to have inherited the name.

Good to know. Like this? If so I'll add in a spiel on Kiddie's Highway and Tom's.

i mean like this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

steamsey wrote: »
    Good to know. Like this? If so I'll add in a spiel on Kiddie's Highway and Tom's.

Yep, labels look right now :)

Ok so latest Ticknock map here, subject to change once they finish those new bits. If anyone has a correction to the map, just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ok so latest Ticknock map here, subject to change once they finish those new bits. If anyone has a correction to the map, just shout.

That's great work, certainly wouldn't be needed if there was decent signage as opposed to a red arrow on a wooden post... forget your glasses and you'd definitely miss them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Surely Kiddies Highway should be first and Metro One last?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Surely Kiddies Highway should be first and Metro One last?

Oh in terms of the order of the descriptions? Yeah, makes sense. I'll do it tmrw

Updated map with descriptions starting with Kiddie's Highway

Which brings me to a question I had - obviously we're not allowed to discuss trail building but are we allowed to discuss trail names? For example, on Euroservices, just after the first big-ish berm to the right, you can jump off into the forest. It was an Enduro trail. It's short but technical and takes you back down to main fireroad. Can I ask if that trail has a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I believe that's 'Bacon n Cabbage'
    Updated map with descriptions starting with Kiddie's Highway

Which brings me to a question I had - obviously we're not allowed to discuss trail building but are we allowed to discuss trail names? For example, on Euroservices, just after the first big-ish berm to the right, you can jump off into the forest. It was an Enduro trail. It's short but technical and takes you back down to main fireroad. Can I ask if that trail has a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If it's after the corner then that's Tokyo Drift. It joins up with the end of Bacon n' Cabbage.

• Advertisement

If it's after the corner then that's Tokyo Drift. It joins up with the end of Bacon n' Cabbage.

Ah the original and best trails down that side of the hill.....

Had a short but decent spin up Ticknock yesterday evening.

Did Kiddie's Highway, Tom's, Euroskeptic. Up to top loops and jumped off Euroservices onto Bacon and Cabbage - which was muddy and a bit slippy for first time in a while.

Then back up to do Metro 2 - the finish of Metro 2 and Euroservices is riding pretty well now and the loose stuff has largely moved off the main riding line

Finished with Bottom Loop / Metro 1 - riding well. Seems to be a few more little jumps and doubles than I remember - and it now goes all the way to the biking.ie hut. It's still very loose as is newly built. No more climbing up to the top car park from the back of the biking.ie hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

No more climbing up to the top car park from the back of the biking.ie hut.

Loved that climb to get started!

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Loved that climb to started!

There needs to be a climbing trail from the bike hut to the trails, bit stupid having to scrape along with the cars on the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    There needs to be a climbing trail from the bike hut to the trails, bit stupid having to scrape along with the cars on the road...

Just use the walking trail :pac: Hikers love the banter. :eek:

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Just use the walking trail :pac: Hikers love the banter. :eek:

Ha! I try and avoid that, so at least when I meet walkers and joggers on the MTB trails I can give them a very stern look when I come across them...:pac:

Upgrade works finally taking place on "Tom's Climb" which had turned into a sandy dry river bed, although not a bad place for a lovely walk as so many people do when the sun is shining...

2nm3lzk.png

Cool. Nice to see they are continuing to look after the place.

Hardly a surprise!

4kuz5j.png

30w5nqq.png

Shots fired.

• Advertisement

Shots fired.

Hardly..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We ve been having issues on and off with horse riders for years, tis pissing me off

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We ve been having issues on and off with horse riders for years, tis pissing me off

Believe me, every group of recreational users P'off every other group..

Sunday strollers, mountain walkers/runners, motor/mountain bikers, dogwalkers, horse riders... the lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

To quote some signs that have appeared in recent months around Sheffield & the Peaks district; "Remember, be nice say hi".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Believe me, every group of recreational users P'off every other group..

Sunday strollers, mountain walkers/runners, motor/mountain bikers, dogwalkers, horse riders... the lot..

:D It's so true, everyone hates everyone else on a different form of transport who they don't think should be there.

I think there's a universal hate for those on scramblers tearing up the national parks though (not the guys doing proper trials etc), the the guys tying to get up Fairy Castle and the likes without trace of a silence on their bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lemming wrote: »
    To quote some signs that have appeared in recent months around Sheffield & the Peaks district; "Remember, be nice say hi".

+1

I make a habbit of doing this

Hurrache wrote: »
    I think there's a universal hate for those on scramblers tearing up the national parks though (not the guys doing proper trials etc), the the guys tying to get up Fairy Castle and the likes without trace of a silence on their bike.

Not as common as it used to be, motorbike scramblers back in the 90's used to tear up new trails that MTB'ers could follow..

You rarely see them about now, usually only over on the Ballyedmonduff side and very early in the mornings...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah, last time I saw them was last year on the trail leading south east off Fairy Castle. But I myself don't be there too early in the mornings these days.

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    +1

I make a habbit of doing this

You can tell my the face on someone if you should bother saying hello at all..Most around Ticknock are casual walkers, so if you say hello to people while walking around Marlay park then by all means do so in the forest trails..

Will always give a hello or thanks to another Mtb'er when passing, and horse riders.. Motor bikers I don't care.. Casual walkers either, or those who hold there line, walk 3 or 4 abreast when they see you approach, a bit of mountain etiquette is missing from the likes of those..

Advertisement