Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticknock: How to find blue/easier trails

Options
  • 10-07-2018 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Me a dumb
    Me rode/pushed my Singlespeed MTB up top of Three Rock but why me no find which trail is blue trail?

SRSLY was pushed for time before work and didn't want to risk being caught halfway down a trail I couldn't hack and having a long walk of shame to the bottom.

Foolishly I assumed that the trails would be colour coded...and the maps I've found show one long trail.

Can anyone help an idiot out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

only been there a couple of times, so dont know the trails all that well, but theres many unofficial trails there which are probably marked on strava, along with the official trails

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

The trails are not color coded AFAIK - the official trails there are all blue-ish in nature.

On your way up the tarmac road from the trail head the tails start on your right. You will see a wooden post of the a bike on it... just follow that around and it will bring you in a loop on back to the trail head.

There are unofficial trails also around three rock / ticknock. These are more red in nature and if not know where you are going are best left to a day where you are happy to explore ...

The trails are not color coded AFAIK - the official trails there are all blue-ish in nature.

On your way up the tarmac road from the trail head the tails start on your right. You will see a wooden post of the a bike on it... just follow that around and it will bring you in a loop on back to the trail head.

There are unofficial trails also around three rock / ticknock. These are more red in nature and if not know where you are going are best left to a day where you are happy to explore ...

some parts black in my estimations, approach with caution

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

The Coillte trails are colour coded - but only red and black. Hence the coloured markers (pic attached). TBH most of the reds aren't really reds and the black definitely isn't really a black. There's nothing on the Coillte trails that can't be done on a hardtail. There are also lots of current/old enduro trails of varying difficulty - probably not recommended unless you're experienced or you're up there with someone who is and can show you around.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    some parts black in my estimations, approach with caution

True, very true ;)

Just realized OP is on a singlespeed - I'd suggest that you stick to the 'euro' trails: https://www.trailforks.com/region/ticknock/. I reckon that these would suit a single speed more as they have decent flow ...

you can loop these a few times if you just come back down to the barrier and head down that fire road (the barrier is on the right side as you climb the main tarmac road up to the masts - you will know it when you see it)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Excellent! Thanks all.

It's a rigid Singlespeed too...

2.35" / 60mm tubeless though so should be able to handle blue trails just fine.

It's a rigid Singlespeed too...

No suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Ride them all. When you find one that you don't crash on you have reached your destination!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    No suspension?

Just the tyres.

I continue to suck.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1726353296/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1532509252

Can anyone tell me if I went near the start of the Euros?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

I continue to suck.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1726353296/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1532509252

Can anyone tell me if I went near the start of the Euros?

Fair play for going up Kilmashouge - that's a brute of a climb! When you turned off the fireroad and into the forest climb, you were on the Eurosceptic trail, you stopped and turned around but you should have kept going - this turns into a nice long swoopy downhill trail. This would have led you then to the top of the 'Metro' trail, back to the car park.

You ended up descending the 'Tom's' climbing trail - a great descent indeed but it is actually meant to be done as a climb, leading up to the Eurosceptic trail.

Talk to the Biking.ie lads in the cabin at the foot of the carpark, they'll send you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

As stated before, look for these signs and follow them. Can't go astray then.

a-sign-for-a-mountain-bike-trail-ticknock-dublin-M5AJMM.jpg

mollser wrote: »
    Fair play for going up Kilmashouge - that's a brute of a climb! When you turned off the fireroad and into the forest climb, you were on the Eurosceptic trail, you stopped and turned around but you should have kept going - this turns into a nice long swoopy downhill trail. This would have led you then to the top of the 'Metro' trail, back to the car park.

You ended up descending the 'Tom's' climbing trail - a great descent indeed but it is actually meant to be done as a climb, leading up to the Eurosceptic trail.

Talk to the Biking.ie lads in the cabin at the foot of the carpark, they'll send you right.

Yeah ...I became convinced that I was going the wrong way up a different trail and turned back :$

Full disclosure I walked from Kilmashogue lodge to the carpark and up the last few bends on the gravel road...no kudos earned there.

Cheers!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Full disclosure I walked from Kilmashogue lodge to the carpark and up the last few bends on the gravel road...no kudos earned there.

Even attempting Kilmashogue on single speed gets kudos from me. I struggle plemty getting to the top on my 34/32 granny combo.

Round 3:

Still a lot of learning to trust the bike to be done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1762099199/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1533894459

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Excuse the handiwork on this map - please add to it if anyone wants

Brief thread here from main cycling forum on the official Ticknock trails, thought it might be useful to have a link to it here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107772656

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It'd be great to have a trail thread maybe as a sticky and difficulty levels ranging from easy to your going to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Probably better to request it moved to this forum. This forum is on a 6 month trail basis, directing away from it won't help traffic.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Probably better to request it moved to this forum. This forum is on a 6 month trail basis, directing away from it won't help traffic.

Good point. How do I do this? Mods / Beasty anyone watching - can we please move the linked thread from main cycling forum to here please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

steamsey wrote: »
    Good point. How do I do this? Mods / Beasty anyone watching - can we please move the linked thread from main cycling forum to here please

I've reported a post on the thread with a request to move it.
    Let's see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

threads moved and merged

Planning on heading back up this week as I'm off work. Going to swap to a 34x18 as aside from having to walk the gravel climbs on the 38x I've also found it hard to hit features with sufficient momentum on the flat/uphill bits and those are where I want to learn/get comfortable with riding over rocky sections.

Fitted a set of riser bars over the weekend and the front end feels much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Was up to Ticknock Saturday first in a long time Metro 2 I think is the name of it...really enjoyed that...
    Crashed of course and had about 13 women to witness it! Hello to the Lady threshers!! and thanks for the concern....
    I didn't escape them all day was even parked beside the ring leader in the car park....
    Cant wear that top again!

Cleaned up the official map of Ticknock trails, let me know if anyone wants me to change anything - might make a good stickey

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Cleaned up the official map of Ticknock trails, let me know if anyone wants me to change anything - might make a good stickey

That'll be out of date soon :pac:, with works on the trail from the upper to lower carpark! Passed by last night, looks to be heading down the doubletrack/sharknado.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Crashed of course and had about 13 women to witness it! Hello to the Lady threshers!!

Shredders - not threshers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

JazzyJ wrote: »
    That'll be out of date soon :pac:, with works on the trail from the upper to lower carpark! Passed by last night, looks to be heading down the doubletrack/sharknado.

Spotted that on Sunday evening. Seems they're extending the trails down, possibly to the biking.ie hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Spotted that on Sunday evening. Seems they're extending the trails down, possibly to the biking.ie hut.

They are yea, and with the speed they've been building i'd say it will be complete by this weekend..

Just watch for cars when crossing to the lower section of the trails...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Technically Eurosceptic is just the top section of trail that starts near the Wicklow Way. The first bit that comes off the tarmac is Kiddies Highway as far as the clearing, then the next section is Tom's Climb I guess. Tom's was actually a much more technical trail in that area but then they built a new trail over most of it and that seems to have inherited the name.

Advertisement