Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

omri wrote: »
    How does it work ? Never used them and not sure how to tackle it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=parcel+motel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

http://www.parcelmotel.com/

It's handy way of working around Uk only delivery or high international delivery charges. I've got stuff of Castelli cafe using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

ok, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli-alpha-jacket-winter-2014-1?var=5788

If it fits in the sizes they have that is a proper bargain. Got jacket in sale on another site in March, fantastic jacket for winter.

Summer is only time to buy winter kit...:)
    I saw this one earlier and was tempted. Great price.

Which colour do you have by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Seweryn wrote: »
    I saw this one earlier and was tempted. Great price.

Which colour do you have by the way?

Laurel/black, at 1.8m and 83kgs i went with XL even though size guide say L and it's a good fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

I have lots of castelli gear and I'm 6ft2 and 78kg. I take a large in everything of theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Got these (jersey + bib shorts) for €23 delivered.

Took 2 weeks to arrive and it seems like genuine gear with good quality chammy. Haven't worn it yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not a chance its real given the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

godtabh wrote: »
    Yeah they also won't give you any information on it unless you login...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

godtabh wrote: »

Worth the gamble for €23!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Worth the gamble for €23!

yeah of having the arse ripped off you and your gear may survive the cycle home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I thought the rule of this forum was not to endorse fakes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm not at all convinced it's fake, the quality is way too high (had proper tags, chammy, zips aren't the cheap quality ones). It's a Russian team so it could be geographic arbitrage. That said I've never ever considered buying team gear before, so I'm comparing it with leisure gear.

I'll take some pics later and you guys will be able to tell from. If you're certain it's fake then I'll take it down. (I've edited my OP pending verification).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Chammy? Chamois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

They are defo fakes.

shorts start at €90 on the team site
    http://www.tinkoffsportshop.com/product-category/clothing/?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Chammy? Chamois.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭craggy2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

not sure what adidas cycling gear is like but 50% off at the checkout on:

http://www.adidasspecialtysports.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tesco have a few bits reduced,Pannier rack for €8.49,a few other bits reduced to clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Was in my local Aldi in Enniscorthy,all MTB gear reduced to clear.Jerseys €4.99,gloves €1,socks €1.99,jackets €8.99.Cycling shoes €14.99.

Lidl have bib shorts reduced to €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

zerks wrote: »

They gotta be fakes too at those prices. Are you sure it wasn't a bag of carrots you were looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

fat bloke wrote: »
    They gotta be fakes too at those prices. Are you sure it wasn't a bag of carrots you were looking at?

Whachamean "fakes"? They're not being sold as branded, or any such. I assume -- if it's the ones I saw a couple of weeks ago. Those were originally being sold at €15 or so, so not massively reduced. (Aldi had what might be slightly better quality bib tights a while ago, reduced from a higher initial price.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

fat bloke wrote: »
    alaimacerc wrote: »
    Whachamean "fakes"? They're not being sold as branded, or any such. I assume -- if it's the ones I saw a couple of weeks ago. Those were originally being sold at €15 or so, so not massively reduced. (Aldi had what might be slightly better quality bib tights a while ago, reduced from a higher initial price.)

I bought my missus a set of bib shorts yesterday for 6.99 reduced from 16.99 or something like that.

They do that once the 6 week "return if you're not happy" period has passed.

She's cost me a small fortune.

I bought my missus a set of bib shorts yesterday for 6.99 reduced from 16.99 or something like that.

Isn't it 60 days, and isn't it from the time of sale? Possibly not counting some specific exclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

You should ask. The offer may extend to unwanted wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mul37

Kask Mojito Road Helmet in selection of colours and sizes €99.99 from alltricks.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Bananas 30c in the Summit Stores at top of Howth Hill.

Right where you need em. And always ready to eat - just the right ripeness.

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Bananas 30c in the Summit Stores at top of Howth Hill.

Right where you need em. And always ready to eat - just the right ripeness.

But what's the "right" ripeness for bananas, exactly? Preferences range from "slightly green", through "pure bright yellow" and "light black spots", all the way to "almost entirely black"!

Could be more controversial than lube discussions!

zerks wrote: »

Didn't find these in (one of) my local one(s), but they did have quite a lot of the "Performance Underwear" -- enduring image, isn't it? -- at a fiver. Almost entirely the XLs, though.

Couple more bike items in Aldi this weekend, including (non-bib, I think) shorts with "Dolomiti" padding. And wireless bikeputers again, woo-woo! Was needing a new one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Didn't find these in (one of) my local one(s), but they did have quite a lot of the "Performance Underwear" -- enduring image, isn't it? -- at a fiver. Almost entirely the XLs, though.

Couple more bike items in Aldi this weekend, including (non-bib, I think) shorts with "Dolomiti" padding. And wireless bikeputers again, woo-woo! Was needing a new one of those.

i'm assuming dolomiti padding is good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

But what's the "right" ripeness for bananas, exactly? Preferences range from "slightly green", through "pure bright yellow" and "light black spots", all the way to "almost entirely black"!

Could be more controversial than lube discussions!

fresher(greener) bananas have a higher starch content, as they age,the starch gets converted to sugar. also, the starch is a resistsnt starch, which acts like a fibre.

so, as we're all healthy cyclists, there isn't really a debate, the right ripeness is greener the better

don;t ask me to fix the lube question as easily:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

fresher(greener) bananas have a higher starch content, as they age,the starch gets converted to sugar. also, the starch is a resistsnt starch, which acts like a fibre.

so, as we're all healthy cyclists, there isn't really a debate, the right ripeness is greener the better

If you're near bonking after 5 repeats of Howth including 1 PR, a black banana is your friend :) Green before you ride (slow release carbs).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And wireless bikeputers again, woo-woo! Was needing a new one of those.
    Is the Aldi bike computer any good? Seems very cheap!
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-28-june/products-detail-page/ps/p/wireless-bike-computer-1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've one you can have for nada if you want it's sitting in the shed the last year or 2 never been used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've one you can have for nada if you want it's sitting in the shed the last year or 2 never been used.

Wife, banana or cycling computer?

Edit: Great minds and all that Colm.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

A banana or a bike computer?

Wife, banana or cycling computer?

I do like my bananas and as for the other options one is free and I can assure you the other will bankrupt you.

So whichever you prefer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

mul37 wrote: »
    Kask Mojito Road Helmet in selection of colours and sizes €99.99 from alltricks.com

Seems a good price. I'd be very tempted. Note its also a tenner delivery on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Seems a good price. I'd be very tempted. Note its also a tenner delivery on top of that.

Recommended. I only bought one off the Germans for a then-bargain €130 a couple of weeks ago. They're a bit light on luxuries though (no bag, extra pads etc.)
    Still, nice lid

• Advertisement

I'd second the mojito very nice lid. I've the vertigo and I actually prefer the mojito but the vertigo was cheaper in the amnesty they had. Also it has a leather chin strap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If that was directed at me - many thanks for the offer!

TBH I'm probably kidding myself that I won't want something a bit higher spec that hooks up with Strava very soon. If I get a low-cost one I'll never get the green light to get a fancier one on the Household Black Ops budget. :P

Dades wrote: »
    If that was directed at me - many thanks for the offer!

TBH I'm probably kidding myself that I won't want something a bit higher spec that hooks up with Strava very soon. If I get a low-cost one I'll never get the green light to get a fancier one on the Household Black Ops budget. :P

You won't be long about wanting to upgrade alright but if you want one of those bike computers fire me over you address and I'll pop it in the post when I dig it out. :)

Alternatively I know someone selling a barely used Garmin 200 for €65 + p&p *bargain alerts so I'll say no more.

i'm assuming dolomiti padding is good

I have no idea. Never heard of it! I assume they'd like us to think so, though, hence why they make a point of mentioning it. Dolomiti would apparently like us to think so too...

Dades wrote: »

Dunno, don't have one, and it's not on sale -- yet. Maybe they sold a similar one previously, I'm not sure.

I have a very similarly specced Lidl one (big spender, here) that was a very similar sort of price. Seems to be getting a bit flaky in its old age, and it's a bit scratched, hence my thought to replace it. (Whether the Aldi one is more or less flaky remains to be seen, of course.)

Obviously it's very basic compared to the GPS ones. The "calorie" and "fat burn" readings seem pretty useless -- must be utterly meaningless without any height or gradient data! On my Lidl one I 'include those out' of the normal configuration of displays it cycles though. But it does time, distance, and speed OK, and all the obvious permutations of those... what more does one need? Well, this side of something that does map data or Strava uploads...

Recommended. I only bought one off the Germans for a then-bargain €130 a couple of weeks ago. They're a bit light on luxuries though (no bag, extra pads etc.)
    Still, nice lid

Whoops my mouse slipped. Will be here on Monday. Damn you bargain alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

mul37 wrote: »

Tempted to pull the trigger on one of these. Have had my eye on a Kask lid for sometime now and seems like a very good price. Does anyone know if there is a crash replacement policy with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

coach22 wrote: »
    Tempted to pull the trigger on one of these. Have had my eye on a Kask lid for sometime now and seems like a very good price. Does anyone know if there is a crash replacement policy with this?

there is. tidy helmet. i have the 50nta, love it.

thekooman wrote: »
    there is. tidy helmet. i have the 50nta, love it.

Are you sure about that, I have only been able to find info on crash replacement if purchased in the UK or Ireland. Not from France. I have ordered anyway but would be nice to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Are you sure about that
    I am... cos im in touch with velobrands at the minute about it.
    http://velobrands.co.uk/sign-up

And did you purchase in the UK or Ireland?

EDIT: Without clogging up too much of this thread with crash replacement I was correct by the looks of it.

"To participate in the scheme you must have purchased your helmet within the last three years from one of our UK or Irish Retailers and be a resident in the UK or Ireland."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement