Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Weepsie wrote: »
    I keep odd socks and such for cleaning bikes

You wear microfiber socks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

CramCycle wrote: »
    They won't damage the bike, but seriously, use a rag, not wipes.

Absolutely. Ecological disaster area, wipes are.

[old fart] Should be banned [/old fart]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

brownian wrote: »
    Absolutely. Ecological disaster area, wipes are.

[old fart] Should be banned [/old fart]

stuff that goes to land fill is why taxes and levy's are needed, because people make decisions based on monetary values.

I'd like to extend this to try encourage people to use environmentally friendly degreasers etc plenty good value ones out their

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

manafana wrote: »
    stuff that goes to land fill is why taxes and levy's are needed, because people make decisions based on monetary values.

I'd like to extend this to try encourage people to use environmentally friendly degreasers etc plenty good value ones out their

Training at a young age works well as well. My son was round at an aunts, he asked her to double check his butt after a toilet trip, and she went to wipe his ass with a wipe. Well holy hell did he lose the rag. For a normally placid child, they had to ring me and talk him down over the phone. He went mental, called her a bad aunt, told her she would break the toilet and destroy the environment.

An over reaction but I have to say, teach them when they are young is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Anyone out there own a Scott Addict RC 20 2019? Have it on my shortlist for a lightweight climber. Be interested to know what people thought?

Training at a young age works well as well. My son was round at an aunts, he asked her to double check his butt after a toilet trip, and she went to wipe his ass with a wipe. Well holy hell did he lose the rag. For a normally placid child, they had to ring me and talk him down over the phone. He went mental, called her a bad aunt, told her she would break the toilet and destroy the environment.

An over reaction but I have to say, teach them when they are young is the way to go.

i hope your not teaching your kid trickle down economics and authoritarianism as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What's the more northern part of the Malahide Road/Oscar Traynor Road like for cycling these days? I have to head up that way around 3pm on a weekday soon, probably coming back down it around 17:45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

Wonder was there any interest from other teams in him? He's what 34/35?

Last few years there haven't been great for him, even when he did race there were many dnf's . Wonder what issues he had if any? Interesting too he used the word 'job' I've seen it suggested that thats all cycling was to him at this stage.

Best of luck to him, he'll have his hands full with the baby now I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's a pity that Phil Deignan never got to ride the Tour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's still a colossal puddle on the rock road inbound near the punch bowl. nearly covers all inbound lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

there's still a colossal puddle on the rock road inbound near the punch bowl. nearly covers all inbound lanes.

Cars doing 60-80 through it too in order to beat the lights. Surprised there hasn’t been an accident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the name for the stunt a car driver pulls when they turn across the road in front of you?
    i.e. they're oncoming, and are turning right off the road, and do so without taking account of your presence?

anyway, i had that at the punch bowl earlier. it's one of the worst spots i know for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Bike24 gone from an occasional email to what seems like a daily one, must be the new owners. Unsubscribe time approaching.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭buffalo

what's the name for the stunt a car driver pulls when they turn across the road in front of you?
    i.e. they're oncoming, and are turning right off the road, and do so without taking account of your presence?

anyway, i had that at the punch bowl earlier. it's one of the worst spots i know for it.

Right hook? As opposed to a left hook, where they come from behind you and turn across you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So I added a 3rd bike to my collection because it was €100 cheaper on a Black Friday sale compared to what it was when I checked it out a few weeks ago. I was obliged to, right?

I've gone for one of those mountainy ones, had great fun in the summer with a borrowed one.

I may have to stash it in the attic and pretend Santy brought it and just produce it one day hoping it's not noticed.

Hurrache wrote: »
    So I added a 3rd bike to my collection because it was €100 cheaper on a Black Friday sale compared to what it was when I checked it out a few weeks ago. I was obliged to, right?

My LBS cut the price of a bike I have been fawning over for months by 700euro. I went in after work to plough myself head first into debt. Thankfully someone swooped in and beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's universal isn't it. Any sniff of what you think is a deal has your hand in your pocket. What suckers we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

My LBS cut the price of a bike I have been fawning over for months by 700euro. I went in after work to plough myself head first into debt. Thankfully someone swooped in and beat me to it.

Any chance that was Fitzcycles? They had some ridiculous deals.

Dublinbikes hit its 25 millionth trip today, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »

One death? (Leonardo Souza da Silva)

I use it regularly, actually when I say regularly it's when I can get a bike, the system they have requires a shuttle service for bikes back out to the stations. I know if I hit St.James' after 8.15 there won't be a bike left and all the stations on the outskirts will be empty.

And then when I get to a city centre station to return the bike I won't find a space. I'd happily pay €50 a year for a better service rather than the €25 for a mediocre service that I get now at an admittedly ridiculously cheap price

Lumen wrote: »

Drinking and a bop on the head never ends well :(

I see that was announced by Just Eat Ireland Managing Director Amanda Roche-Kelly. I wonder if she had a hand in getting them to sponsor some bikes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Based on 2015 average trip length (14 mins) and average speed of cyclist in cso survey (17kmh) and allowing a few minutes for picking up/dropping off bike that's about 75,000,000km

Any chance that was Fitzcycles? They had some ridiculous deals.

Yep, Cube CX bike down from 1700 to 1000. Another punter beat me in the door by a few hours.

Yep, Cube CX bike down from 1700 to 1000. Another punter beat me in the door by a few hours.

Think I was looking at the same bike, I have a Bike to work to use so it would have been a mental deal. I was also too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You know those distinctive black scuffs that bike tyres leave on internal walls when you bring the bike indoors and bump the wall accidentally, does anyone have a quick solution for those that wont wreck the paint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Sugar soap. Not a strong solution.

Thargor wrote: »
    You know those distinctive black scuffs that bike tyres leave on internal walls when you bring the bike indoors and bump the wall accidentally, does anyone have a quick solution for those that wont wreck the paint?

Sure just leave them there. Character

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Luxman wrote: »
    Sugar soap. Not a strong solution.

This or the magic eraser though the latter isn't as good! My rented apartment has far too many!

Yeah, like most bike-share schemes it has a very low fatality rate. Much lower than people would expect, anyway.

nee wrote: »
    I got my whole kit three when I started, bibs, Briko I think? and 2 pairs of reduced to €8 Polaris cycling shoes, one pair of which i still wear and indeed rode on for the medal this year :cool:
    Haven't had a look in ages, I need to be in a very particular mood to go there.
    based on this conversation, as i was passing tk maxx yesterday i decided to pop in to look. got two (very much summer) cycling tops, €12 each.

Yeah, like most bike-share schemes it has a very low fatality rate. Much lower than people would expect, anyway.
    But in the ballpark (right order of magnitude probably) for cycling fatalities in developed coutnries.

Which somewhat makes a mockery of several popular tropes, such as:

- "I would never cycle in Dublin, it's crazy dangerous"
    - "Dublin bike riders are suicidal/crazy"
    - "You need good bright lights and/or hi vis to be seen" (Dublin bike lights are fairly crap, and Dublin bike riders rarely wear hi vis)
    - Something about helmets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

But in the ballpark (right order of magnitude probably) for cycling fatalities in developed coutnries.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5227927/table/tbl1/?report=objectonly

Almost identical with Germany anyhow, and other northern EU countries. The USA is a bit of an outlier.

Injuries would probably be a better comparison given, thankfully, how small the fatality number is.

The normal conversation around how dangerous cycling in Dublin is reminds me of Withnail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh-X-1otyb4

(Dublin bike lights are fairly crap, and Dublin bike riders rarely wear hi vis)

They're pretty bright on the front anyway - they've improved immensely since the first generation imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

based on this conversation, as i was passing tk maxx yesterday i decided to pop in to look. got two (very much summer) cycling tops, €12 each.

Oh which tk maxx?

blanchardstown.
    they're a brand called tribesport - any smaller and they'd probably be a little obscene on me, but they seem decent enough quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^
    seems a bit harsh, being pepper sprayed for listening to Oliver!

I use it regularly, actually when I say regularly it's when I can get a bike, the system they have requires a shuttle service for bikes back out to the stations. I know if I hit St.James' after 8.15 there won't be a bike left and all the stations on the outskirts will be empty.

And then when I get to a city centre station to return the bike I won't find a space. I'd happily pay €50 a year for a better service rather than the €25 for a mediocre service that I get now at an admittedly ridiculously cheap price

I always thought a small charge of 5-10c to users who take bikes from over demand statious, and 5-10c credits to users who leave bikes at stations needing bikes. The network should be way bigger than it currently is

Eamonnator wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    seems a bit harsh, being pepper sprayed for listening to Oliver!
    Indeed.

Several of the reports into the culture of AGS have identified that Templemore doesn't spend enough time teaching appreciation of the works of Lionel Bart, but those reports just sit there on the shelf unimplemented.

It's a sad indictment of the state of the policing in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Can someone tell me does compact gearing only refer too the front two rings or can it refer too the cassette aswell.
    Thanks, apologies if terminology is off. If you have a easy to understand guide between standard and compact that would also be helpful.

It's a sad indictment of the state of the policing in this country.

Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be

Several of the reports into the culture of AGS have identified that Templemore doesn't spend enough time teaching appreciation of the works of Lionel Bart
    true story - i got a friend who was in the cadets in the irish army in trouble years ago, when i posted him a copy (on tape, obviously) of 'bone machine' by tom waits. when he played it in his room, his comhloir (that's a very rough stab at how i think the word is spelt) heard it, he hated it so much he gave my friend some extra duties for listening to such dross.

• Advertisement

Old Perry wrote: »
    Can someone tell me does compact gearing only refer too the front two rings or can it refer too the cassette aswell.
    Thanks, apologies if terminology is off. If you have a easy to understand guide between standard and compact that would also be helpful.

Pretty sure your just talking about the front chainrings.

Old Perry wrote: »
    my understanding:
    compact - 50/34
    semi-compact - 52/36
    standard - 53/39

i've not heard the word compact being used in reference to the cassette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

i've not heard the word compact being used in reference to the cassette.
    Me neither but I'd guess that it would be inverse,
    11-23 would be pretty compact in 10/11speed but wouldn't be in the spirit of the "easier geared" compact cranks.
    11-45 MTB on the other hand would be easier geared but in no way compact.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What's a 48/32? I used that today for the first time. Felt like I wasn't trying at all sometimes. Marvellous.

manafana wrote: »
    I always thought a small charge of 5-10c to users who take bikes from over demand statious, and 5-10c credits to users who leave bikes at stations needing bikes. The network should be way bigger than it currently is

It's not like the users taking them from stations in high demand are doing it just to be inconvenient, there should just be bigger stations/a few more of the trucks reallocating bikes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement