Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I be worried?

• 03-03-2021 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

I am a mother of a 19 year old son attending college from his bedroom.
    He has always been slim and I can understand him wanting to bulk up a bit at this age to feel more confident. He has had problems with shyness and lack of confidence generally.
    He has been putting on weight. It is especially noticeable on his stomach, arms and face with a bit of a double chin. He told me he is bulking and then he will be cutting. I had never heard of this and I don't like the sound of it.
    Is it not better healthwise to get fit and strong by eating healthily along with a combination of cardio and weight training or body weight training? Bulking and cutting does not seem to take account of long term health. I'm picturing the guys with big necks and arms who are not fit enough to run about .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

Bulking and cutting is a legitimate method and probably the most efficient for eventually being more muscular and at a lower body fat. In terms of health, 20% body fat and above is generally considered the unhealthy range for a male.

It sounds like your son has made the classic mistake of going overboard on his bulk. Myself and I'm sure many of the others on here into lifting have at one stage justified eating ice cream and pizza as 'much needed fuel' for building muscle, and gotten puffier than we'd like as a result.

He's 19, and like most at that age, he'll have to make his own mistakes. I don't think Mam giving him workout advice is going to change his mind unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 david992

You can understand him, a good body is a sign of pride. But he needs to love himself before he starts to change. Otherwise, even if he loses weight, he won't be happy. But keeping yourself healthy is the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

As Cill said bulking and cutting cycles are completely legitimate.

What I would question from your post is is he actually exercising? Because it isn't clear of he is. Just gaining weight without exercise isn't bulking it getting fat and you should tell him to cop himself on which is obviously difficult to do successfully with a 19 year old.

Sounds like he's taking IASP as a legitimate fitness plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

... it getting fat and you should tell him to cop himself on which is obviously difficult to do successfully with a 19 year old.

Wow.

I sincerely hope that if you are a parent, that's not how you speak to your kids.

Or anybody really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Be aware of any sign of steroid abuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Wow.

I sincerely hope that if you are a parent, that's not how you speak to your kids.

Or anybody really.

Thanks ðŸ‘

Edit: actually sure I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and give a proper response. No I'm not a parent and wouldn't have been capable of being one when this guy was born. I do talk to people with consideration and politeness but certainly with people I know well and am close with such as family I feel comfortable being more blunt at times. From experience with some people it can be the only way to get through to them when they are set on doing something that's a bad idea.

His mother obviously knows her son better than any of us on an online platform. She presumably knows how to talk to him and should be capable of taking what I said and framing it the right way for her son to get the gist of it.

I can't say I've ever heard that telling a loved one to cop on is completely out of bounds before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Be aware of any sign of steroid abuse

What in the OP suggested that steroids were potentially involved,out of curiosity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

What in the OP suggested that steroids were potentially involved,out of curiosity?

Being slim and putting on weight.
    Ok he could be eating tons of the finest prime irish beef and won't put on a big amount of weight if he is slim.
    However if he is taking juice he could easily bulk up and become big hence the look out for steroid use.
    Sure the prime irish beef will be artificially inhanced too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Being slim and putting on weight.
    Ok he could be eating tons of the finest prime irish beef and won't put on a big amount of weight if he is slim.
    However if he is taking juice he could easily bulk up and become big hence the look out for steroid use.
    Sure the prime irish beef will be artificially inhanced too.

OP said he had been slim but is now putting on weight and has a fatter face. Nothing about being a lot more muscular since the weight gain is most noticeable on his stomach, arms and face. That sounds a lot more like someone who is in a big calorie surplus rather than someone on gear.

You don't need to eat tons of beef to put on weight quickly.

Advertisement