Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitbit BPM variance...

Options
  • 14-02-2021 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

So I run a lot and measure with my fitbit HR.

I do 80/20 running. Comfortably hard mixed with some high tempo work.

I measure time, max bpm, distance. But my "north star" metric is avg BPM.

Only problem though is that the Fitbit tracks avg bpm differently based on wrist placement and strap tightness.

I was 4 mins slower today as I had to slow down for an ankle niggle. But avg BPM was higher than Friday when I recorded a record time.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    I was 4 mins slower today as I had to slow down for an ankle niggle. But avg BPM was higher than Friday when I recorded a record time.

There’s nothing unusual about that.
    Some days HR will just be higher. Lots of factors affect it. Sleep, training, etc. An ankle issue could easily see you work harder to come in slower.
    Could also be the fact you did a PR time of Friday.

What was your RHR between Friday and Tofay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Measuring heart rate on wrist monitors is often inaccurate with fitbits, garmins etc. A chest strap is a much more reliable method if you are wanting to get an accurate reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Mellor wrote: »
    There’s nothing unusual about that.
    Some days HR will just be higher. Lots of factors affect it. Sleep, training, etc. An ankle issue could easily see you work harder to come in slower.
    Could also be the fact you did a PR time of Friday.

What was your RHR between Friday and Tofay?

Got hardly any sleep last night. Today my RHR is 50bpm. Usually its 44bpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    Got hardly any sleep last night. Today my RHR is 50bpm. Usually its 44bpm.

That could easily explain it. RHR being increased is a pretty good indicator that it’ll be one of those sessions.

Maybe of the more advanced HRM monitor RHR and MHR to estimate recovery time before you train again.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Long story short. I've started tracking my pace on the fitbit.

Today I took it relatively easy and ran a time of 59:47. Over a distance of 7.31 miles at a pace of 8'10".

So there appears to be a margin of error with the fitbit tracker of 10% over an hour long run.

Generally though my pace increases when I switch to high tempo and decreases during lulls. I'm guessing that the variance is constant.

Its not exact but it'll do fine for my non-competitive running/roadwork.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement