Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hows this calf coming now?

He’s flying! Had the vet out to him with a bruised leg so he’s bandages and got a dividing gate but he can suck unaided now and he’s a good greedy wee fella. Nothing like watching one like that wagging his tail as he feeds after the wrestling. I’d say he’ll be fit to lie with her at the weekend. 3 more coming close so he’ll have to! Thanks for asking

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Flying it today

Very very nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Had a cow calve there due tomorrow, small calf out of fr5737. Cow fine chewing the cud said I'd stick her in the calving gate to check for a second given the size of the calf, would the fecker go into the gate, not a feckin hope she would the plonker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Mooooo wrote: »
    Had a cow calve there due tomorrow, small calf out of fr5737. Cow fine chewing the cud said I'd stick her in the calving gate to check for a second given the size of the calf, would the fecker go into the gate, not a feckin hope she would the plonker.

Could you get her into a crush with a headlock to check her.

A crush with an extra long gate at the front is handy for calving cows, usually easier to get them into it than a calving gate in a calving pen.

Nothing more frustrating! 20 mins of begging her to let you help her out. We have an extension that fits on the middle separating gate and an 11 ft gate that can be used to push particularly stubborn ladies but even with that you’re largely depending on it working first time or it’s an awful effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

I try her once,then go and get a bit of meal in a bucket with a shake of pre calver mineral on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

Calving got off to a start here this morning with a set of twins.

543628.jpeg

4/29 arrived this morning. I reckon our best cow did it all on her own and had a lovely heifer calf. Did all in one day no teasing for a week. I’m made up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

Number 3 arrived this afternoon without any fuss. She'd plenty of support anyway.

543759.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Just in the door after doing a section. Huge ch bull coming backwards. Couldn't stir him at all. Cow is a lunatic to make it worse. She's one for the road now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Just in the door after doing a section. Huge ch bull coming backwards. Couldn't stir him at all. Cow is a lunatic to make it worse. She's one for the road now anyway.

Was that the big cow you posted the pic of before? The suspected twins?

5/29 arrived here an hour ago. Nice lovely red heifer. A maiden heifer I bought last year. Waiting on the vet to come now she put her calf bed out so I’m getting water ready and hoping for a bit of luck

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Was that the big cow you posted the pic of before? The suspected twins?

No she didn't calf yet.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    5/29 arrived here an hour ago. Nice lovely red heifer. A maiden heifer I bought last year. Waiting on the vet to come now she put her calf bed out so I’m getting water ready and hoping for a bit of luck

Folks the heifer was very rough with the calf I think the poor girl was a bit freaked out and she was trying to get back to the pen she had been in. Calf bed went in ok. We milked her and tubed the calf, calf in great form. So I left her behind the dividing gate and went away to do a few other things. Took a look at the camera there and she was licking at the calf through the gate and she’s now lying down. Would yous think it would be safe to try her in with the calf now? I had planned to catch her in the head gate first and maybe try them together tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Folks the heifer was very rough with the calf I think the poor girl was a bit freaked out and she was trying to get back to the pen she had been in. Calf bed went in ok. We milked her and tubed the calf, calf in great form. So I left her behind the dividing gate and went away to do a few other things. Took a look at the camera there and she was licking at the calf through the gate and she’s now lying down. Would yous think it would be safe to try her in with the calf now? I had planned to catch her in the head gate first and maybe try them together tonight.

If she's quietened down I'd try them under supervision, as little messing with the heifer as possible as handling could only rise her if she's not used to it. Any time we had rough ones in the past they nearly always settled once the afterbirth was passed. No idea what way the calfbed out works with that though, never had one out here so far.

If she's quietened down I'd try them under supervision, as little messing with the heifer as possible as handling could only rise her if she's not used to it. Any time we had rough ones in the past they nearly always settled once the afterbirth was passed. No idea what way the calfbed out works with that though, never had one out here so far.

Thanks very much. She’s a nice quiet heifer to go into or anything like that she was just rejecting the calf and bulling on through her. I was in the pen round her like she’s not rough with me. It’s the second time here, last year one lost her calf and it happened it was away out this one the vet sorted in a few mins. She’ll have handlin whether she likes it or not now though cos she needs her injections for a few days. I think ill give the calf a wee chance with her now and see what she does as you say. I’ll keep a grape handy though!

Thanks very much. She’s a nice quiet heifer to go into or anything like that she was just rejecting the calf and bulling on through her. I was in the pen round her like she’s not rough with me. It’s the second time here, last year one lost her calf and it happened it was away out this one the vet sorted in a few mins. She’ll have handlin whether she likes it or not now though cos she needs her injections for a few days. I think ill give the calf a wee chance with her now and see what she does as you say. I’ll keep a grape handy though!

I'd say she'll be grand, often seen it with heifers here and they would settle down after a day or two when the sickness goes off them.

Yeah she just sounds like she hasn't a clue what fell out of her but if she's showing interest through the gate as you say, she'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Grape be no good you need a fork

I have all I need now lads. Great wee team

• Advertisement

And here he is in all his glory, sucked the bottle mad but his legs are very sore and he can't stand.

And here he is in all his glory, sucked the bottle mad but his legs are very sore and he can't stand.

Some bear of a calf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Did that cow calf? The one you had a pic up a while back. She was huge in the belly.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

whelan2 wrote: »
    Grape be no good you need a fork

I don't think that he needs to consign her to the plate,even with a salad.It looks like they have settled down nicely.But it can prudent to have a sprong with you when dealing with freshly calved cows.

The Rabbi wrote: »
    I don't think that he needs to consign her to the plate,even with a salad.It looks like they have settled down nicely.But it can prudent to have a sprong with you when dealing with freshly calved cows.

A grape wouldn't be much use in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Super calf
    Who’s the daddy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I don't like the set of those hindlegs.... did he get an anti-inflammatory?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    I don't like the set of those hindlegs.... did he get an anti-inflammatory?

No he didn't get anything yet, he's getting up on them alright but just going over on the knuckles. He's very heavy, can't hold his weight up when he tries to get his front legs under him. I'd say a day or two will do a lot for him.

Super calf
    Who’s the daddy?

He's out of my own charolais bull, he's a fine lump but no good when with a start like that. I don't know how the fellas at the show calves stick it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

There can’t have been much room for him inside....some lump. Awful time consuming but great when they come right. Best of luck with him.

whelan2 wrote: »
    A grape wouldn't be much use in fairness

The heifer is a lamb, calm it on the culling. I had the calf sucking her with no restraint but she’d turn the opposite way just slightly and the calf would slip, too heavy for me to hold so I caught her, milked her into the calf and then the calf sucked away and continued after I released her again. The grape is taken into the pen as some defence if a cow gets fresh. Some of them that shake their heads when still sick get more mannerly when they see the grape.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

No he didn't get anything yet, he's getting up on them alright but just going over on the knuckles. He's very heavy, can't hold his weight up when he tries to get his front legs under him. I'd say a day or two will do a lot for him.

If he can stand then he's good. That upper leg looked very straight and the lower one has a bent fetlock. If there was good pressure on the jack then an anti-inflammatory should help.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Had a cow calving that stood up halfway through and turned around to slurp the fluids and chew on a bit of cleaning.She stood there quite happy so I went in and caught the legs,gave a little tug,she pushed,out popped the calf and I put him in the corner.The cow walked over to look at the calf,still chewing and gave a cough covering his head with a sheet of cleaning.She continued chewing away.If I wasn't there I'd be wondering what went wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Which reminds me to have a good sharp scissors on stand by, there is no tearing apart that stuff if the calf comes out enclosed in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Sh*t show last night here, crap c-section lost one of my best cows and the calf was gone this morning.
    ah well what will be will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ah sory to read that. When you say crap c-section was there complications or was there human-error?

Sh*t show last night here, crap c-section lost one of my best cows and the calf was gone this morning.

Hard to take that one. Hope you have heifers from her

Hard to take, happened a friend with a purebred cow he gave 5k for a few months ago.

greysides wrote: »
    If he can stand then he's good. That upper leg looked very straight and the lower one has a bent fetlock. If there was good pressure on the jack then an anti-inflammatory should help.

There was fair pressure on it alright before we decided to do a section. He stood himself this morning sucked the cow and straightened up on the back legs, still struggling to hold himself up on the front legs but he'll come.

What happened that the cow died?

• Advertisement

Presentation was unusual and she never opened properly, I watched her pass the blister around half 8 on the camera she just got up, went eating and made no effort got to 11 and said I better handle and all I could feel was backbone.

Called vet and he said section only option and it was high risk as he'd have to make big incision. calf had damaged womb so it was a mess once once we opened her up we got calf out and I said put her at peace as there was no hope of stitching back up.

calf was good size and we tubed him, vet thought she 'd be fine....was a statue this morning so learning experience all around.

it was suggested leave her till today and send her off but I'm always for giving the animal a fighting chance

Presentation was unusual and she never opened properly, I watched her pass the blister around half 8 on the camera she just got up, went eating and made no effort got to 11 and said I better handle and all I could feel was backbone.

Called vet and he said section only option and it was high risk as he'd have to make big incision. calf had damaged womb so it was a mess once once we opened her up we got calf out and I said put her at peace as there was no hope of stitching back up.

calf was good size and we tubed him, vet thought she 'd be fine....was a statue this morning so learning experience all around.

it was suggested leave her till today and send her off but I'm always for giving the animal a fighting chance
    It would never happen a bad one, sorry to hear that

That's horrible Dozer, sorry to hear it.
    Never experienced a breech like yours before a couple of years ago when we had two do the same. Like yourself, was confused til I handled them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Last year we had a calf with all four feet in the birth canal. Thought it was tangled twins. Called the Vet, who straightenwd him out and then very hard pull. Calf couldn't stand properly, staggering and falling. He was much better the following day and up and running on day 3.

Dozer1, It may have been that type of presentation that tore open your cow's uterus.

Yip thanks All, it'll all be forgotten about but a poor start to calving makes you nervous
    it was a good one to test your ability not to pass out for sure, as we're dinner in the middle of the day people we'll go no further:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well Dozer, you couldn't have done any better. Fingers crossed for the rest.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

6/29 landed heifer did all the work herself I watched from the sitting room. Nice bull calf she did all in 15 mins only in the pen an hour she was mad to calve. A cow just starting now as well.

7/29 landed there now. Big bull calf bit of work with the jack but all good now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭visatorro

Best cow had twin AI heifers ,which would be rare here. First calf was breech. Hard to get going. Second calf fine. Happy days. Down an hour later the bitch was sitting on one of them.

visatorro wrote: »
    Best cow had twin AI heifers ,which would be rare here. First calf was breech. Hard to get going. Second calf fine. Happy days. Down an hour later the bitch was sitting on one of them.

My God that’s unreal bad form there. I hate twins nothin but hardship

• Advertisement
Advertisement