Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Comments

Well hopefully the paint on the Chinese built cars is a lot better because I wouldn't like to pay nearly 50K for a car with too many imperfections.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

So anyone that was fence-sitting now convinced to get FSD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqml_OdWP4s

I can see this getting very expensive next year - and also very good.

EVGuy wrote: »
    So anyone that was fence-sitting now convinced to get FSD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqml_OdWP4s

I can see this getting very expensive next year - and also very good.

Who knows ? it could get a lot more expensive or it might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Who knows ? it could get a lot more expensive or it might not.

Elon has said it's going up $2k this weekend. It may be USA only at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

When it can legally insured pick me up from the pub and drive me home safely while I'm in the back seat I'll be interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

J-W wrote: »
    When it can legally insured pick me up from the pub and drive me home safely while I'm in the back seat I'll be interested

This is really the most important feature of FSD, im not paying a single euro till a toggle appears with "Pub Run" -> Enabled

By that point it could be €25k extra though ... if they do allow moving the FSD to your next Tesla, it could be worth getting soon. ;)

Legislation is now looking like the major blocker, rather than the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Odauto

redcup342 wrote: »
    The paint on the Model 3s out of Freemont is absolutely awful, I haven't seen Model 3 that didn't have some issues with the paint.

Yep the paint is famously bad but I have seen a blue and red 202 reg Model 3's recently that are flawless both inside and out so they seem to be getting much better.
    I had a few paint issues that Sandyford didn't fix however a few weeks ago a nice gentleman dinted my door in a carpark and drove off. It gave me the excuse I needed to get a ceramic coat. The silver lining is the car looks better now that the day I collected it!

I only has two tiny 1mm chips on the bonnet, which could easily have happened in transit and a couple of mis-aligned things, all fixed 100%.

I think MSM tends to be a bit better. ;)

I definitely think Tesla should offer FSD as pay per month, I bet a lot more People would be interested then, subscribe when you want, if you know you're going on a long trip or somewhere foreign, perhaps it could be set for driving on the right, that would be cool.

I don't think I would pay for FSD until laws are changed and I wouldn't have to touch the steering wheel. The more the cost goes up the less I'd be interested.

• Advertisement

I definitely think Tesla should offer FSD as pay per month, I bet a lot more People would be interested then, subscribe when you want, if you know you're going on a long trip or somewhere foreign, perhaps it could be set for driving on the right, that would be cool.

It will switch automatically. The headlights might need adjustment though, a 2nd memory for those would be nice. Talk of new ones as part of the 3 refresh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

FSD will never ever been worth the money in Ireland. Our mix n match of roundabouts, single lane roads without lines, general non-adherence to the road markings will make it impossible without some massive upgrade of roads in Ireland. It’s designed for American roads, American junctions and American junctions. Love the tech but it will never been for Ireland.

Regarding people saying why not ship Model Y from California/Beijing... Tesla really have to focus on their green credentials and shipping a car around the world is not green. Plus it will make the Berlin produced cars about 5-10k cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

FSD monthly rental available sometime next year according to Musk.....

Now that I like, try it before you buy it......

Estimated Delivery on new orders now February.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

jhegarty wrote: »
    Estimated Delivery on new orders now February.

I ordered in July for as close to early Jan as possible. Wonder will I get priority?

There may be a few cars in stock after the November delivery. They may offer you one of those for pick up in Jan.

Slaanesh wrote: »
    I ordered in July for as close to early Jan as possible. Wonder will I get priority?

There is no priority, they just match people based on the stock. And even if you are first in line for a given model, if there are other things going on (e.g. changes to business tax) someone else may be moved up. Even 4 year reservation holders were skipped over for business customers that were about to lose their incentives last year.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just don't get your hopes up of being "1st in line".

It could also be (no clue) people ordering FSD get some priority as they will be paying more and the extra is 100% margin. That's likely only to make a difference near the end of a quarter though.

Slaanesh wrote: »

Ships to Europe arrive to sold before end of quarter. If things go Tesla's way there will be no new cars between Jan 1st and late February.

The lockdowns of course might cause things not to go to plan.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/26/tesla-ships-out-made-in-china-model-3-cars-to-europe/

Shame Tesla didn't offer the price reduction they offered in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

https://electrek.co/2020/10/26/tesla-ships-out-made-in-china-model-3-cars-to-europe/

Shame Tesla didn't offer the price reduction they offered in China.

There was a 2k saving in Germany anyway, Tesla gave everyone a choice to take a 2k saving now (with some missing features, not clear what those are) or wait until Feb next year for new deliveries with the extra features (heat pump etc)

• Advertisement

redcup342 wrote: »
    There was a 2k saving in Germany anyway, Tesla gave everyone a choice to take a 2k saving now (with some missing features, not clear what those are) or wait until Feb next year for new deliveries with the extra features (heat pump etc)

But China got the price cut with all the new stuff.

Different markets have different deals.

Look at all the geo-blocking BS we still suffer on streaming services.

If there is still pent-up demand here and the car is now better, why would they lower the price?

I'm just glad it's not gone up and I put in a res just in case as I suspect once FSD beta appears in Europe that will go up for sure.

EVGuy wrote: »
    Different markets have different deals.

Look at all the geo-blocking BS we still suffer on streaming services.

If there is still pent-up demand here and the car is now better, why would they lower the price?

I'm just glad it's not gone up and I put in a res just in case as I suspect once FSD beta appears in Europe that will go up for sure.

FSD increase will just make it unattractive to the masses and perhaps more Commercial companies will use it and perhaps that's Elon's Plan to push it out of the market for the majority and make big bucks from commercial use ?

But China got the price cut with all the new stuff.

It's not clear what was delivered on the Chinese Models already delivered to germany 2 weeks ago, Double Glass on the front drivers windows with the new battery + heatpump + de-chromed

Everything else is the same as before (piano finish center console, same steering wheel etc.

Pic from a recently delivered M3P at Tesla SC Stuttgart

530891.jpg

Tesla have changed their return policy now ... a few majorly p!ssed off customers

Why were customers annoyed at the change in return policy ?

People were probably given what they didn't order..

Maybe some wanted the original battery version, which is a bit more powerful I believe (In SR+ format anyway)

Because you have 20 minutes to decide on if you accept delivery of the car or not (at the service center), you also aren't allowed anyone with you due to Coronavirus rules.

7 day return policy with 1600km is no longer there.

Wasn't really clear what the hell they were ordering.

Was there some new information that Ireland would be receiving made in china model 3's ?

Was there some new information that Ireland would be receiving made in china model 3's ?

RHDs are coming from Freemont

LHD are coming from China + Freemont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Is anyone who took delivery of a 202 reg Model 3 not pissed off that just a few months later, the price dropped almost €1k (SR+, vat reduction) & the car will now include a heat pump, better specs, glass etc.?

When it comes to selling on, an early 202 Model 3 will be worth far less than a later 202 Model 3, which will have more range etc.

Elon pinched pennies by removing mats, cables, dimming door mirrors etc. already & has now seriously devalued cars, just a few months old.
    He has effectively taken money from your pockets :eek:.

If people didn't buy these July cars at full price, he wouldn't be able to push out these higher spec models.

Two solutions to right this wrong.

1. Give early 202 owners free supercharging or make some gesture
    2. Immediately push up the price of the new, upgraded model :p.

.............ducks & waits to be attacked by prospective Model 3 purchasers...... :p:D:D.

Cars change spec all the time, not unique to tesla.

So are RHD drives for U.K and Ireland still sent from the U.S with inferior build quality ?

I have a 2021 SR+ ordered . Wasn't clever or tactical the upgrades were a surprise to me .
    I have no doubt that within a year either through our gov copping on or Tesla implementing new battery tech there will be a much better and or cheaper version of my car available.

It's just the way Tesla operates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Kramer wrote: »
    Is anyone who took delivery of a 202 reg Model 3 not pissed off that just a few months later, the price dropped almost €1k (SR+, vat reduction) & the car will now include a heat pump, better specs, glass etc.?

When it comes to selling on, an early 202 Model 3 will be worth far less than a later 202 Model 3, which will have more range etc.

Elon pinched pennies by removing mats, cables, dimming door mirrors etc. already & has now seriously devalued cars, just a few months old.

If people didn't buy these July cars at full price, he wouldn't be able to push out these higher spec models.

.............ducks & waits to be attacked by prospective Model 3 purchasers...... :p:D:D.

I think most buyers know that a mid-life refresh or entirely new model is just around the corner and that their gleaming new purchase is going to be bested by something else before long.

Yes, Tesla does things a little differently (in that they make updates all the time, rather than the life-cycle schedule that other manufacturers follow), but it's still essentially the same thing.

I'm sure some people will agree with you, and think that something must be done to right a perceived wrong, but most will just understand that this is the nature of car purchasing. If you're describing your own situation here, my advice would be to let it go and enjoy the lovely car that you're privileged enough to own.

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm sure some people will agree with you, and think that something must be done to right a perceived wrong

Yes, yes, that's it in a nutshell - a sense of justice must prevail, almost social to be honest.
    Yes, I do feel aggrieved I've no heat pump or photochromic wing mirrors.

Why should I be the one who loses out?

Elon should make this right, or I'll not be happy & toys may be seen exiting a pram :D.

But seriously, these are major, major upgrades. In the SR+, a more robust battery, more range, acoustic glass, heat pump, redesigned console etc. It's more than just a facelift.
    Other manufacturers ubiquitously increase pricing with upgrades like these - see the eNiro thread etc. Obviously, they also may have to discount existing (pre update/upgrade) stock, as no one will pay the same for a poorer specced car.

Tesla do neither.........some win, some lose. They offer "bargain" time-limited upgrades (FSD lite recently) & advise "buy it now before it increases in price" etc.

They won't change, they are selling cars & their share price is just ridiculous but that won't last forever.

In terms of my privilege, yes, I agree, Elon is very privileged & should make amends :D.

I drive a 201 SR+, and couldnt give a rats ar$e about what any other Tesla Model 3 looks like once it hits the road....

We love our Model 3 and that's all that matters. It's planned that we'll keep it for 10+ years (as long as it lasts), or maybe we'll swap it for a Model Y in a few years, or maybe even keep it and still get a Y, who knows??

But what I do know is that it's fecking awesome, and other/newer versions of it with better glass, or a heat pump, or 21km of additional range, or a slightly different interior won't make my car any less awesome....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't get this, I have a Tesla and expect they get better and better as time goes on, best of luck to those in better versions, I hope my car is better than the iteration previous so why have the expectation of the car not getting better.
    A line has to be drawn somewhere between iterations.

Yes, yes, that's it in a nutshell - a sense of justice must prevail, almost social to be honest.

Elon should make this right, or I'll not be happy & toys may be seen exiting a pram :D.

But seriously, these are major, major upgrades. In the SR+, a more robust battery, more range, acoustic glass, heat pump, redesigned console etc. It's more than just a facelift.
    Other manufacturers ubiquitously increase pricing with upgrades like these - see the eNiro thread etc. Obviously, they also may have to discount existing (pre update/upgrade) stock, as no one will pay the same for a poorer specced car.

Tesla do neither.........some win, some lose. They offer "bargain" time-limited upgrades (FSD lite recently) & advise "buy it now before it increases in price" etc.

They won't change, they are selling cars & their share price is just ridiculous but that won't last forever.

In terms of my privilege, yes, I agree, Elon is very privileged & should make amends :D.

With regards to the Battery
    More Robust/More Range remains to be seen, it is much heavier. Heat Pump will make a big difference for sure in cold weather when you can't start from a Charging station or need to Rapid Charge immediately after the car has been sitting in Cold Weather for a day or 2 unplugged.

Since I'm usually parked on a charging station anyway I just set it to charge 30 minutes before I go and turn the climate on, battery is up to temperature before I leave.

Now in Nordic climates I could see a very big margin where it could improve range (like starting off in -30 degrees or whatever)

Ireland though has a fairly moderate climate all year round, VW didn't even include it in the ID3 for the Irish market.

It's nice to have, don't do crying over it. :pac:

Some free SC km would be nice though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Seth!

Would you call Apple to get you a newer iPhone every year when they release a new one? No you don't so just accept what you have... or sell it and order a new one.

Seth! wrote: »
    Would you call Apple to get you a newer iPhone every year when they release a new one?

That's entirely different though.

Would you happily pay €47k for a current Model 3 or wait a month & pay the same €47k for an arguably far, far better car?

Anyway, I've reached out to Elon & July reg Model 3 owners can thank me when I get free supercharging for life for us, slighted owners :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Seth!

That's entirely different though.

Would you happily pay €47k for a current Model 3 or wait a month & pay the same €47k for an arguably far, far better car?

Anyway, I've reached out to Elon & July reg Model 3 owners can thank me when I get free supercharging for life for us, slighted owners :pac:.

It's not different you just put numbers on it hence it is "different". You have a product that you purchased (no one forced you to) at a time then same product had some update and now you are crying about it. It is the same just forget the numbers and the manufacturer. Like I said if you don't like it sell it then buy the newer one. No one will compensate for something that is a normal thing to do in car world or any other market...

• Advertisement

Seth! wrote: »
    No one will compensate for something that is a normal thing to do in car world or any other market...

We'll see about that :P.

I've tweeted at Elon & DM'd him. I'm expecting he'll get back to me any time now, else I'll boycott Tesla. That'll teach him :D.

6/7/8% usage acceptable usage for sentry mode? The whole car must stay awake while it's running, using 250 or 300 watts :eek:.

Pity.

Depending where you are parked, expect to lose up to 8-10% per 24 hours with Sentey Mode

When I parked in the boat carpark in Carrick-On-Shannon back in August, I got about 275 Sentey events over a week, and it cost roughly 9% per day in my SR+

Depending where you are parked, expect to lose up to 8-10% per 24 hours with Sentey Mode

Good job it auto closes at 20% soc.

For comparison, I always use dual, hardwired, 1080p front & rear dashcams, in parking mode, with a voltage detector to prevent the 12v dropping too low.

These will run for days & days on any car's 12v system.

In fairness, my PHEV detects the milliamp draw & reports it after a few days, but it's a pity the Tesla is so power hungry. You'd keep a full modern house heated with less energy these days.

Not complaining (I am complaining though :D).

Why the voltage detector, does the Tesla not monitor the 12v itself and auto top it up from the HV should the need arise. I’ve a hard wired dash cam too and it’s on 24/7 for months

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Same happens in the ICE world.

30th June 2014. BMW F10 is ordered.
    1st July 2014, that same car is ordered only this time xenon is standard, LED fogs are standard. Slightly upgraded interior with. We wheel etc.

Just luck of the draw.

slave1 wrote: »
    Why the voltage detector, does the Tesla not monitor the 12v itself and auto top it up from the HV should the need arise.

I had the voltage detectors/dashcams in my PHEV & Ioniq. I had hoped Tesla's sentry mode/dashcam feature would negate the need for a 3rd party solution, but unfortunately not :(.

I'll be ripping through a Model 3 soon now...............:pac:.

The Model 3 has been made and delivered for over 3 years now, so of course it was going to get refreshed at some stage....

Was it mentioned in this or the previous thread that the Model 3 is the worlds best selling plug in electric car, ever?

From Wikipedia;
    Until 2019, the Nissan Leaf was the world's all-time top selling highway legal plug-in electric car, with global sales of 450,000 units by December 2019. The Tesla Model 3 surpassed Leaf sales in early 2020 to become the world's best selling plug-in electric car ever. Global sales since inception totalled almost 525,000 units up to March 2020.

Two ground breakers there, I know Tesla (rightly) gets the kudos but enough can't be said for what the Leaf has done for EV progression

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj73Q3lWvFM

Getting this more and more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

slave1 wrote: »
    Two ground breakers there, I know Tesla (rightly) gets the kudos but enough can't be said for what the Leaf has done for EV progression

100% agree.
    The Leaf paved the way and I still to this day would have no hesitation recommending one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement