Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I think Gen 2 is worthy of a look - the Gen 3 comes with Wi-Fi and load balancing, not sure if that alone is worth €200 extra. Aside from that, I think they are pretty much the same. I stand to be corrected though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Based on this review, I would/will definitely go for the Gen 3 over Gen 2.

https://youtu.be/kZePyRgSfjs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Skip Gen 2, it never had a great reputation, load balancing is an inevitable required and covered with Gen 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Gen 2 charger is absolutely fine. I’ve had one 28 months now and not a bother with it.

most/all of the destination chargers are gen 2, and we’ve always been able to get a charge on them… if they are broken it’s probably because people treat them like crap!! (Hence why most non Tesla destination chargers are non tethered)

the only issue is it now only comes with a 2.6m cable! So if you want the 5m cable you need to get the gen 3.

As we move towards PV and Heat Pumps the load balancing will be required so may as well spend the money on the Gen 3 than mess with a priority switch install. Tesla will also have to stop selling Gen 2 in the UK as no longer meet minimum specs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You can pick one uk second hand for about €200.

You don’t need fancy chargers with all signing all dancing apps and wifi and bells and whistles. You want something to plug into the car and give it power.

Picking up a second hand unit could mean you get the charger installed for as close to free as possible.

Load balancing is not required in all homes. Myself included, my parents too.

If your buying brand new, Gen 3 should be considered but if I was buying brand new tomorrow i wouldn’t be buying the Tesla charger at all

zappi or wallbox is tops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Few questions if you please good sirs,

anyone buy the Tesla roofbars and if so how are you finding them? Are you just leaving them on or are you putting them on as required?

anyone go for the towbar post delivery, did you go Tesla or 3rd party And what is the integration like, not looking to tow but for a bike rack, but would want properly installed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Asked this a while back didn't hear much. Since then I learned, M3P cannot have tow bar fitted (Tesla told me this)

If you are planning on carrying bikes and not towing, the manual states the centre of gravity can be a max of 225mm from ball on hitch. This is shite for bikes, you would likely not get 2 road bikes.

So I'm gonna go for roof bars, take em on/off as needed. I found this useful, again if it's bikes and not towing u are after:

https://youtu.be/H6ePnRXIvAw

Thanks I’ve seen that chap a few times be a hard job knocking any craic out of him. I might have to go the tow bar route as my family tend not to go away for a week or 2, you’d swear they were emigrating so I usually need a roof box and I would think even more so with a M3 compared to the space in my current car. I’m not too concerned with the centre of gravity as I think it’s overstated and at least one of the bikes will be carbon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Can I ask why you would choose one over another? I’ve not really looked into the home charging part yet.

Zappi.

Works great. Great customer service and integration in the my energy app if you have other products such as eddi. I think they also integrate into the GivEnergy PV and battery set up.

Wallbox.

smaller and neater. The one thing I like about their app is you can enter your unit rate and you can keep track of the charging costs.

Both are very good. Both have load balancing and PV integration built in. Both are tethered so ease of use is simple.

It would come down to price on the day I think.

Thanks for the reply. I did a bit of research after asking and it seems like the Tesla gen 3 would be better for me just because it was over 300 cheaper and I can’t see me needing any other features. This was only after looking into it for an hour though so I could be way off.

Another quick Q can’t find the original post has anyone successfully enabled the extra speakers in the front of a 21/22 RWD with one of those additional wiring harnesses. I believe the rear speakers are omitted on MIC RWD builds

You use what works for you man!

I have an older Gen2 because it cost me €80. I rarely charge at home due to work charging and I export very little from my solar PV so it wouldn’t benefit me to pay above odds for a Zappi or wallbox either.

How much is the Gen 3?

the Zappi is €875 direct and there’s a new wallbox for €500 on adverts currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rgfinn

Does the gen 3 not just balance loads with other gen 3?

Or can it dynamically reduce the load to balance against other loads like heat pumps etc? Assume it’d need an input to measure the overall load if that’s the case?

I had a missed call from Tesla this afternoon, so I’m assuming that the EDDs are accurate as they wouldn’t bother calling this far out for delayed delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 30 myszonutd

Call from Tesla? When is your EDD?

I didn't know they'd be calling unless someone canceled and they have a car for you?

EDD is august only ordered June 17, still need to fill out payment details maybe they are chasing that? I’ll call them back Monday when they reopen

Yeah I got the call and they were asking me to complete steps in the account but I can’t as they still haven’t sent the app for pcp.

• Advertisement

I was only looking on the official site so the wall box was over 800. Gen 3 is 500 on the website.

How did you apply for the PCP I emailed sales_dublin@tesla.com but haven’t received a reply or any notification

I emailed deliveryie@tesla.com and they sent the quote but still haven’t sent the app. The guy on the phone said it would be sent on this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

You might be waiting, I replied to deliveryie@tesla.com and received an automated reply that the email account us no longer monitored and other communication channels have to be used.

Dub@tesla.com is still monitored.

it’s the service section but maybe ask them to pass on your query

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I received my Tesla PCP quote from first auto finance. Found them easy to deal with. All through email and apps:

I have ordered a M3 RWD White, 18” Aeros and White interior.

My PCP quote is attached. No reason it would be any different for others..

Thanks for that did you just go direct or did you need a referral from Tesla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I just sent them an email asking if they provide PCP options for Tesla and if they did, I asked them to send me a quote for both min and max deposit and they duly obliged. That bit was through email and then they sent me a link to the application process through 'codeweavers' and I was able to load up all the required documents and info from there.. If you provide the info quickly then the process will be fast...

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

The Shipping forum on the UK Tesla Club has regular updates by Mr Miserable on Tesla deliveries to Europe.

Search for his posts, ignore everyone else.

He reckons Morning Chorus will leave Shanghai on 16th Jul with Teslas on board, eta Zeebrugge 14th Aug.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6846919/

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭comerla

Interesting - would be consistent with delivery guideline starting 15th August. I can see myself spending time on that forum!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

They just got back to me with a quote, but said i need to add on 5k for the grant, so they are saying i need to PCP 59,800.

15k deposit, 1 payment of 832.29, and then 35 payments of 757.29, final payment of 22,799.

quite a bit higher than your quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Why do you have to add that on....do Tesla not manage the payment of the €5k grant themselves? The final figure I was given for my lease cost didn't include the €5k

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm not sure....i've asked them to confirm and come back to me.

The 5k really messes up the numbers and it no longer stays in the "barely affordable" bracket.

Tesla manage the €5k grant piece, they email you a one pager to sign and take care of it from there

• Advertisement

I got a quote back too today the 5k is included as part of the deposit so e.g. a deposit of 20k on your quote is realistically 15k you need to come up with, the finance quote is on the full value of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Tesla had a poor manufacturing quarter in Q2 due to COVID in China and chip shortage.

Interesting that EDD are being brought forward, maybe

* Their giving a bit more priority to the Irish market long term(unlikely)

*More EV's from other OEMs impacting demand (seems very unlikely)

*Selling more cars here as getting squeezed out with grants and price increases (likely in my opinion, next price increase will take all specs outside the grant and bands will drop I would think in the next budget too. So let's see if there all delivered. Also note there is no difference between UK and Ireland EDD's, the reality is always like that).

Hope ye don't have to wait but stay away from Tesla group and Mr. miserable it'll wreck yer heads.

Set expectations low in order to avoid disappointment. I ordered August last year for Sept/October delivery finally would have been delivered in march this year but had jumped ship by then.

EDD could be pulled forward due to too many speculators declining delivery, if so then only matter of time before this is cracked down on

Yeah, possible cause also, way to cut that out is if declined treat it as a new order for the next window. No issue with that last year waiting for 221 plates people queuing for December deliveries on 212.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just wondering are those interest rates locked in or can the rates go up as central banks increase rates a la variable mortgages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Thanks for making me aware of this! I placed an order for a Model 3 Long Range a few ago and just changed it to a RWD to make use of the grant.

I also removed Autopilot to keep the price down further. Can I just purchase it in the app myself when I pick it up so its not part of the financing?

I believe they are locked in, but open to be corrected.

The budget brought forward two weeks, so will found out slight earlier about the available EV grants for 2023.

A guy on the FB group ordered Saturday and was given a delivery date of Aug-Sep!

I'm really starting to think that the current EDDs are going to be met.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes it makes sense to add fsd at a later stage if it's required. Standard auto pilot is included in all specs

Maybe Tesla only doing two delivery windows this year?

There were were around 250 cars delivered in may/June last year only handful this year.

Sept last year had a few and also Dec.

So maybe a big sept if they catch up on what they missed manufacturing in the last months.

Do the build any model Y's for Europe in China maybe plant in Germany ramping up is freeing up capacity? Only speculation of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yep, you've done the tight thing. Reducing the purchase price and it can be enabled after delivery just purchased as an upgrade in the app.

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭JOL1

This is certainly true for a person purchasing an EV. However, my instinct is that PCP complicates matters as the nature of the agreement is that ownership is not passed to the individual until the end of the term and only then if they select to make the balloon payment. That is an option as opposed to a certainty and I suspect this is giving rise to some difficulties with the grant.

In the case or a direct purchase the dealer just looks after the admin side of the grant on behalf of the owner/beneficiary but with PCP the customer is NOT the owner.

Situation with SEAI grant is very precarious as it is dependent on Government policy which can change at any budget. At the moment it is only some Model 3 that still qualify for these grants and an increase in price or change on government policy (were it to happen) will impact prices of both new and second hand values.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭JOL1

Situation with new GIGA factory in Germany is that they are currently only producing Model Y Performance at the plant is in ramp up stage. They celebrated a milestone last week of producing 1000 units in a week so that gives some insight as to current state. China remains the volume producer and although i am sure the plan is for the new German and Austin Texas plants to play a bigger role .it appears a more longer term target, meaning that China will continue to serve the European market for some time to come. At the moment the Model Y production line is closed for upgrading and later this month the Model 3 line will close for similar upgrades, both with the intent of increasing significantly the production volumes to 21,000 units per week (puts Germany into context). Globally June 2022 was the highest ever month of production in all of Tesla's history.

For what its worth..

• Advertisement
Advertisement