Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

With Argos closed, is anywhere else selling refills in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Naloh wrote: »
    Has anyone tried refilling the Sodastream branded bottles? It seems that the valve on the Sodastream bottles are more tricky for self-filling (valve no. 5 co2-adapter.com/adapter/cylinder/).

I have 5kg CO2 from AJ Edge and I'm waiting on the CO2 Pro 2 plus adapter from co2-adapter.com and we have two of the Sodastream bottles from Argos. Wondering if anyone has managed to refill those.

Depends which type of valve your Sodastream cylinder has. If it's the newer "filling protection valve" type then this is the advice from co2-adapter.com

Sodastream1585936433.png

The actual empty Sodastream cylinder I have is the newer "filling protection valve" type. It's the bottom one in the photo below and you can clearly identify the two types as the "filling protection valve" is much bigger.

Sodastream-21585937163.png

I haven't yet tried to re-fill the empty Sodastream cylinder I have as I used the 2 X Sodastream (old) type cylinders I purchased from co2-adapter.com and I have to say based on the first fill they seem to last way longer than the ones I used to get from Argos. I'm two weeks using the 1st one and it's still going strong and with this whole lockdown going on I'd say it's getting a bit more use than normal.

I'll likely be re-filling the original Sodastream next weekend so will report back on how it goes. If I have any grief with it I might just wait and swap it for a refill in Argos and keep doing that until I get one of the older style valve types back from them which I believe are still in circulation at which point I'll just keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Naloh

With Argos closed, is anywhere else selling refills in Dublin?
    The Range is the only other place that does refills but even though they have them in stock, they are not selling them. They say they are not allowed to as it is regarded as a nonessential product.

Ordered a couple of refills off The U.K. sodastream site. You need use AddressPal to get them delivered to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Ordered a couple of refills off The U.K. sodastream site. You need use AddressPal to get them delivered to Ireland.

Bad news for you I'm afraid Gloomtastic, I tried that trick originally and AddressPal refused to accept the delivery so returned them to Sodastream. I eventually got a refund from them.

The message I got from AddressPal after they refused the delivery was

"Your parcel was refused because it contains a prohibited item.

Please contact your seller in order to request a refund or find alternative mode of transport for your package."

54and56 wrote: »
    Bad news for you I'm afraid Gloomtastic, I tried that trick originally and AddressPal refused to accept the delivery so returned them to Sodastream. I eventually got a refund from them.

Please contact your seller in order to request a refund or find alternative mode of transport for your package."

Ah bollix! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Dont know if this is any good to anyone here ,but should help out anyone who wants to bypass the sodastream canister and connect your large co2 tank direct to the sodastream machine. Ive just bought one to try. Will probably take an age to deliver , so should have plenty of time to pick up a sodastreamðŸ˜
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adapter-High-Pressure-Hose-for-larger-CO2-Bottles-Soda-Club-Soda-Stream-1-5-M/383314467417?pageci=7121ca8b-6811-4d60-98aa-b702994269fd

pelliven wrote: »
    Dont know if this is any good to anyone here ,but should help out anyone who wants to bypass the sodastream canister and connect your large co2 tank direct to the sodastream machine. Ive just bought one to try. Will probably take an age to deliver , so should have plenty of time to pick up a sodastreamðŸ˜
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adapter-High-Pressure-Hose-for-larger-CO2-Bottles-Soda-Club-Soda-Stream-1-5-M/383314467417?pageci=7121ca8b-6811-4d60-98aa-b702994269fd

Looks cool and could work well if located directly beneath the Sodastream under a kitchen worktop. The C02 cylinder would have to have a dip tube though otherwise it'd have to be stored upside down.

Did you read the bit that said "Our device only works with GAS CO2, not with liquid CO2."

I think the C02 in my 5kg tank is liquid C02 but am not 100% certain.

Looks like the original Sodastream cylinders use liquid C02 not gas C02, see https://docplayer.net/35048515-Safety-data-sheet-in-accordance-with-eu-regulation-453-2010-sodastream-carbon-dioxide-cylinder-issue-01-issue-date-june-2011-page-1-of-5.html or Google "sodastream carbon dioxide cylinder safety data sheet in accordance with eu regulation 453/2010"

Plan is to put cylinder under counter if it works.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eovlAoDSD-E.

• Advertisement

Anything youre refilling sodastream canisters with is gas pressumably

Plan is to put cylinder under counter if it works.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eovlAoDSD-E.

That looks the business all right.

Anything youre refilling sodastream canisters with is gas pressumably

I'm no expert but there seems to be two forms, liquid gas and gas. I'm pretty sure mine is liquid gas and it appears the standard Sodastream cylinders use liquid gas also.

I think the gas C02 might be what's referred to as "food grade" and what is used in bars to carbonate lagers etc and by home brew hobbyists.

I guess you'll just need to make sure you get the right type of cylinder.

I am no expert either to be honest but have been home brewing and using co2 to carbonate my beers.liquid co2 is used in refridgeration and although you may hear liquid in your tank that is because its under immense pressure while stored but on release to the atmosphere it is a gas, thus making it gas co2. Liquid co2 released to the atmosphere is dry smoke .im pissed and could be wrong😄. Hopefully an expert can fill us in.

Update on my Sodastream refill attempts: The adapter arrived today and so I tried to refill the original Sodastream cylinder that has the newer filling protection valve. It took two attempts to get right but it was straightforward in the end, though a glove is to be recommended for turning the handwheel with the CO2 flowing as you gradually increase the pressure. The handwheel gets pretty cold!

Happy refills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Naloh wrote: »
    Update on my Sodastream refill attempts: The adapter arrived today and so I tried to refill the original Sodastream cylinder that has the newer filling protection valve. It took two attempts to get right but it was straightforward in the end, though a glove is to be recommended for turning the handwheel with the CO2 flowing as you gradually increase the pressure. The handwheel gets pretty cold!

Happy refills!

Sounds positive. B to recap what tank and connector valve were you using?

I've just started using my one touch machine at weekend, seems to be a success, so gonna have to figure out the whole regions thing soon

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Sounds positive. B to recap what tank and connector valve were you using?

Using the adaptor from co2-adapter.com and a cylinder from A J Edge in Bray.

Two cylinders arrived in the post this morning via AddressPal! Maybe cos it was a bank holiday weekend or they're just up to their ears busy but I do love it when you beat the system occasionally! :D

Two cylinders arrived in the post this morning via AddressPal! Maybe cos it was a bank holiday weekend or they're just up to their ears busy but I do love it when you beat the system occasionally! :D

Pop them in the freezer for at least a few hours before you re-fill them and save yourself that part of the learning curve :o

Pop them in the freezer for at least a few hours before you re-fill them and save yourself that part of the learning curve :o

Why? :eek:

• Advertisement

Why? :eek:

Because the greater the disparity in temperature between the Sodastream cylinders and the donation CO2 cylinder the greater amount of CO2 you'll get to move from the donation cylinder into the Sodastream Cylinder.

I can't recall the exact figures but empty the Sodastream cylinder weighs 750g and full to the brim it should weigh 1,200g. On my first attempt I took the donation CO2 cylinder and the 2 empty Sodastream cylinders out of my cold shed and only managed to get about 60g of CO2 into them no matter what I tried.

Frustrated I contacted the support guy at co2-adapter.com and he came back quickly to request that I froze the Sodastream cylinders for a few hours before re-filling and that I also moved the donation CO2 cylinder into the house so that it was as warm as possible before doing the re-fill.

I was a bit sceptical (I'm always sceptical) but it worked a charm. I got both Sodastream cylinders to almost full and based on previous re-fills I purchased from Argos I'm now thinking my home fill actually puts more CO2 in than some of the Argos fills I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

Because the greater the disparity in temperature between the Sodastream cylinders and the donation CO2 cylinder the greater amount of CO2 you'll get to move from the donation cylinder into the Sodastream Cylinder.

I can't recall the exact figures but empty the Sodastream cylinder weighs 750g and full to the brim it should weigh 1,200g. On my first attempt I took the donation CO2 cylinder and the 2 empty Sodastream cylinders out of my cold shed and only managed to get about 60g of CO2 into them no matter what I tried.

Frustrated I contacted the support guy at co2-adapter.com and he came back quickly to request that I froze the Sodastream cylinders for a few hours before re-filling and that I also moved the donation CO2 cylinder into the house so that it was as warm as possible before doing the re-fill.

I was a bit sceptical (I'm always sceptical) but it worked a charm. I got both Sodastream cylinders to almost full and based on previous re-fills I purchased from Argos I'm now thinking my home fill actually puts more CO2 in than some of the Argos fills I've had.

But i think he bought new full orginal cylinders from soda stream uk.

4motion wrote: »
    But i think he bought new full orginal cylinders from soda stream uk.

Ah yes, forgot that.

Put them in the freezer AFTER you've depleted them!

Ah yes, forgot that.

Put them in the freezer AFTER you've depleted them!

Still don’t understand, why? :rolleyes:

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Thought this might be relevant to drop into the conversation, pressure on the new bottles if too high closes the valve, so open the valve slowly - great video here i found that may be of use.

Also its high pressure gas so use gloves to avoid frozen fingers and safety glasses.

Still don’t understand, why? :rolleyes:

Something to do with chemistry or physics I believe but not my strong suit.

Anyone with some actual knowledge be able to contribute?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Raoul

Is there any way to refill sodastream canisters are the moment? Without buying the adapters, I'm too afraid to try that yet!

Raoul wrote: »
    Is there any way to refill sodastream canisters are the moment? Without buying the adapters, I'm too afraid to try that yet!

Argos do them but they aren't available for home delivery and currently are marked as "cannot be reserved for store pickup" as I assume Argos stores are closed.

Not aware of anywhere offering a delivery service.

Where are you based?

Raoul wrote: »

Order them via AddressPal from Sodastream in the UK. However AddressPal may refuse to take them. I got away with it but others haven’t. Just so you know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

They were available (spare cannisters rather than exchange ones) on currys.ie for home delivery up until a few days ago but are out of stock now........someone else posted that they were available at the range but despite being open they couldn't sell them as they weren't 'essential'...........

Advertisement