Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Say hello to the the newest member of BEVOC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Okay need to recheck my recharge timing settings: It said it needed two hours and I wanted it cooked at 06:00 so I went back 2.5 hours and started it at 03:30.

If you need the car at 6 just set the end time and no start time. It will then make sure the car is fully charged for 6. It doesnt matter whether it is at 0% or 50% or 95%... the car will figure it out.

I'll take a pic of my settings tonight and post them so you have a reference.

Charging timer:

Basically, everyday the car starts the charge at the time that it deems appropriate (based on battery %) so that it can complete the charge by 8am (the end of night rate electricity) EXCEPT for Wed and Sat where it starts at 3am so that it I am sure that cell balancing will complete.

NOTE: I have a 32A EVSE and a 6.6kW onboard charger so those times work for me. If you have a 3.3kW charger you would need to change the start time on Wed and Sat to something earlier (probably the start time of night rate to give it the full night to complete).

I charge to 100% everyday as the car is used everyday.

411084.JPG

Climate Control Timer:

I set this to the time I expect to leave everyday and it usually starts the heating about 30mins (outside temperature depending) before that time. I also give priority to the charging rather than climate control.

411085.JPG

Im not saying this is the best or only way to do it, just what works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Could clear it up for me, please.
    Why would you start at 3 and finish at 8 only on 2 days? Why not all?

peposhi wrote: »
    Could clear it up for me, please.
    Why would you start at 3 and finish at 8 only on 2 days? Why not all?

It's not a critical thing but if you set it to 11pm it would mean that the car is regularly sitting at 100% for several hours a day which is what you would need to do if you have a 3.3kW car.

Ex: If the car is at 50% when you get home and the charge starts at 11pm it will probably complete the charge by 3am (1am if it's at 6.6kW) and then sitting at 100% until 9am when I need the car. That's 6-9hrs of the day at 100% which is a significant amount of its life and it's recognised that you should limit the amount of time at 0% and 100%.

By leaving the start time blank the car decides the start time and so it is only at 100% for mins, not hours.

I then do the Wed and Sat charges from 3am to ensure that cell balancing has completed at least twice a week. Even once a week would probably do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

KCross wrote: »
    It's not a critical thing but if you set it to 11pm it would mean that the car is regularly sitting at 100% for several hours a day which is what you would need to do if you have a 3.3kW car.

Ex: If the car is at 50% when you get home and the charge starts at 11pm it will probably complete the charge by 3am (1am if it's at 6.6kW) and then sitting at 100% until 9am when I need the car. That's 6-9hrs of the day at 100% which is a significant amount of its life and it's recognised that you should limit the amount of time at 0% and 100%.

By leaving the start time blank the car decides the start time and so it is only at 100% for mins, not hours.

I then do the Wed and Sat charges from 3am to ensure that cell balancing has completed at least twice a week. Even once a week would probably do there.

I understand. I thought it's good to balance it regularly... everyday...

So, I am better off setting the end of cycle and the car will decide when to start charging to get it to 100%? I may do that once I get the 32A unit installed as I do not want to charge before 23.00h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The TCU in my 1 week old needs to be replaced....:eek:

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

TCU?

Bif wrote: »
    TCU?
    The TELEMATIC Comms UNIT that looks after the Nissan Connect.
    Not the transmission Control Unit...:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah feck, annoying, hope it gets sorted ASAP

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very common problem on the 2016 models.
    Make sure, and I mean make sure that Nissan photograph the back on the new TCU and send it through the internal system to Nissan so the car can be connected back to your account.

Seemly it's a PITA if they doesn't specifically photo it and link it to your vin and send it through the internal channels.

I Read about it on speak EV forum.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Very common problem on the 2016 models.

Make sure, and I mean make sure that Nissan photograph the back on the new TCU and send it through the internal system to Nissan so the car can be connected back to your account.

Seemly it's a PITA if they doesn't specifically photo it and link it to your vin and send it through the internal channels.

I Read about it on speak EV forum.
    Thanks. Good intel there, I will ask them for the photo.

Other that that issue, any other very common problems with 2016 models that you know about: want to reflect on them as I look at 218km range in the warm car at 05:30 :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks. Good intel there, I will ask them for the photo.

Other that that issue, any other very common problems with 2016 models that you know about: want to reflect on them as I look at 218km range in the warm car at 05:30 :D

Not that I've heard.
    I have heard that the auto drivers window gives trouble but not sure if that's on the older cars. Mine is quite slow at going up at the start and then goes as normal.

Left yesterday at 14:00 to get to Borris Co, Carlow, with a diversion to/from Athy on the N78 from the M9.
    Traffic was pretty heavy M1/M50/N7/M7/M9.
    Got to 4 Lakes Retail park in Carlow with 26km left on the GOM, having done 147 km.
    Drove normally, in heavy traffic, don't recall much of it as was on the phone for most of the trip and had iPod on between calls.

[Was also calibring the error in the speedo, reckon it is overstated by about 10% 100km/km on GPS is 111 km/hr on the speedo 80 is 88]

This Fast Charging Station is easily accessed from the R448, which is picked up from the Carlow North exit from the M9
    Got to 95% in 42 minutes, now showing 172 km on the GOM.
    App said it was all available, which it was. Charging point worked fine.

Went to Borris, on route did some recon on the location of the 22kW one in Muine Beag: no e-car only marking on road, parking // to path

Was back this morning in Carlow for top up and then went to the one in Tesco in Naas, via Blessington, just to run some recon on the Fast Charging Station.
    Its is in the Tesco carpark, pretty busy on Sat afternoon.
    App said all three were available, which they were not, lad there with 15 mins on his charge.
    Chatted with him for a while, new 24kW SV

Got a fix and moved on to run some recon on the Fast Charging Station @ Topaz in Fonthill.
    Just a single Fast Charging Point here
    App said it was available, which it was.

Got a fix here but had to call to be released.

Location not the most fabulous so need to design some security protocols for using it, especially after dark when there are connect/disconnect issues.

To get back onto the Naas Road, you have to exit left from garage on a dual carriage way way and then go left at first lights onto Boot Hill Road.

The energy meter thingy showed 15.1

I don't like Fonthill myself , not in the dark.

All speedos over read by Law.

Naas is in a disastrous location, too many locals using it for free juice and it's too far off the Motorway, try get there in peak traffic.

Carlow is an ok spot but Castledermot is much closer to the M9 Exit, come off the Motorway, left at the roundabout over the Hill , you're in Castledermot in 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,944 ✭✭✭✭unkel

All speedos can't under read by law.

indicated speed must be between real speed and real speed + 10% + 4km/h

So an indicated speed of 180km/h is still legal when the real speed is only 160km/h...

Must try the Ioniq vs GPS when I get it, but I'm getting the impression that the Leaf overstates the speed by quite a bit (obviously having a big impact of its drivers perception of range)

I don't like Fonthill myself , not in the dark.

Naas is in a disastrous location, too many locals using it for free juice and it's too far off the Motorway, try get there in peak traffic.

Yes it is all that and more.
    Carlow is an ok spot
    but Castledermot is much closer to the M9 Exit, come off the Motorway, left at the roundabout over the Hill , you're in Castledermot in 2 mins.

4 Lakes okay once you actually find it, it being close to the road and near the roundabout the sat nav tells you you have arrived a bit soon!
    Actually finding them was the exercise, I had the same plan when I drove LPG and was chasing LPG stations: just see actually where they are.

Where is the spot in CD: not listed on e-cars and I drove through CD?

unkel wrote: »

Have you a source for this?
    So an indicated speed of 180km/h is still legal when the real speed is only 160km/h...
    :)
    Must try the Ioniq vs GPS when I get it, but I'm getting the impression that the Leaf overstates the speed by quite a bit (obviously having a big impact of its drivers perception of range)

Overstating speed is one thing, but to alter range perception are they are screwing with odometer readings?,[ just like VW and the emissions]

Leaf is about 10% high. Apparently Ioniq is accurate. Only a % or two out.

To do 120kmh in a Leaf you have to do 128!

@calahonda52, the odometer is accurate. Only the speed is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,944 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Have you a source for this?

It's some European regulation. I posted it in the main forum more than once. Go have a search :)

Most cars over read quite a bit, but most of the BMWs I've owned that I tested against GPS (and once against a gatso :() were almost bang on.

It's some European regulation. I posted it in the main forum more than once. Go have a search :)

Yes Boss:D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542951&page=3

Post 40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

i3 is pretty much exactly on. There's a hidden setting on the i3 that you can use to calibrate speed to GPS as well and a coding option that removes some software "adjustments" to indicated speed in some situations.

• Advertisement

I have the charging pre heating timers set up for car being ready at 05:50 Monday to Friday and 08:00 at weekends.

Car was fully charged via the granny cable on Sat night, was not used Sunday so I left it unplugged on Sunday night, but left on board timers as they were.

Car did not heat: As battery was 100%, I don't think the 80% priority setting is an issue.

Came home last evening with battery at about 50%, the screen said 9 hrs at 3kW

Plugged it in at 17:30 and it started charging straight away: 12 hours from 05:50 for a half full 30kW.

This morning car was heated.

Am wondering is there a problem with the controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The preheating will only come on via timer if it's plugged in and has over 15%.

Otherwise you will have to use the app to do it remotely.

That's what I do. If it's plugged in it heats itself, if not I turn it on via the app before I get out of bed.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The preheating will only come on via timer if it's plugged in.

Otherwise you will have to use the app to do it remotely.

That's what I do. If it's plugged in it heats itself, if not I turn it on via the app before I get out of bed.

Thanks, can't use app as the TCU is not working, will be replaced in due course.\
    Any thoughts on the charging starting so soon?
    Also where did you source the 10 metre de-icing cable!

Came home last evening with battery at about 50%, the screen said 9 hrs at 3kW

Plugged it in at 17:30 and it started charging straight away: 12 hours from 05:50 for a half full 30kW.

Just to confirm, all your charging is on granny cable? i.e. You dont have a 16A/32A EVSE yet?

If that is the case it makes sense. The 9hrs estimate given was for a 3.3kW/16A charge. Your granny cable is less than that(~2kW/10A) so it needed more than 9hrs and so it turned itself on immediately.

Get the 32A EVSE asap to get full benefit of night rate electricity.

Thanks, can't use app as the TCU is not working, will be replaced in due course.\
    Any thoughts on the charging starting so soon?
    Also where did you source the 10 metre de-icing cable!

I used the granny cable for a while recently as my home charger wasn't working. I did find that it was a bit over anxious on charging times. I have a 24kwh Leaf and the granny cable normally adds about 10-12% per hour. Sometimes when I plugged it in at 11pm with 40% it would start charging immediately even though I have the timer set to end at 8am. At 10% per hour I didn't think it would need to start until about 2am, although I believe it does add on some time to the estimate to balance the battery.

12 hours for half of a 30kwh Leaf is major overestimate though so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I got the 10m cable from Phil Fitzgerald at theevcompany.com, there is a link there from www.electricautos.ie. It's a lifesaver. I often convenience charge at the local cinema, and as the spaces aren't marked it's almost always ICEd. It has also saved me a few times when I was stuck for the charge and would have been stranded otherwise.

The 9hrs estimate given was for a 3.3kW/16A charge.

Isn't that a mad estimate given that he had 50% on the battery at that point?

My car would charge from flat to full in under 4 hours (6.6). Even if you halve that for a 3.3 it's still 8 hours for a full charge of a 24kwh so how could it need 9 hours at 3.3 for only half charge on a 30kwh Leaf?

Just to confirm, all your charging is on granny cable? i.e. You dont have a 16A/32A EVSE yet?

If that is the case it makes sense. The 9hrs estimate given was for a 3.3kW/16A charge. Your granny cable is less than that(~2kW/10A) so it needed more than 9hrs and so it turned itself on immediately.

Get the 32A EVSE asap to get full benefit of night rate electricity.

Am waiting for the 16A free install, 4 weeks now since the signup...Zzzzzz

Have the night rate meter, installed next day after I called them.

Isn't that a mad estimate given that he had 50% on the battery at that point?

My car would charge from flat to full in under 4 hours (6.6). Even if you halve that for a 3.3 it's still 8 hours for a full charge of a 24kwh so how could it need 9 hours at 3.3 for only half charge on a 30kwh Leaf?

It includes the cell balancing which can take "a few hours".

Its not a very accurate estimate.

It includes the cell balancing which can take "a few hours".

Its not a very accurate estimate.

Yeah an overestimate for balancing plus a skewed estimate to begin with was what I suggested to Calahonda.

But if:
    My 24kwh car takes 9 hours from flat to full on granny cable
    A 30kwh Leaf would take approximately 11.5 hours
    The same car allowing 2 hours for balancing would take 13.5 hours
    Charging from 50% on that car including balancing should only take about 9 hours.

So starting 12 hours ahead of schedule does seem like a hell of an overestimate!

• Advertisement

Yeah an overestimate for balancing plus a skewed estimate to begin with was what I suggested to Calahonda.

But if:
    My 24kwh car takes 9 hours from flat to full on granny cable
    A 30kwh Leaf would take approximately 11.5 hours
    The same car allowing 2 hours for balancing would take 13.5 hours
    Charging from 50% on that car including balancing should only take about 9 hours.

So starting 12 hours ahead of schedule does seem like a hell of an overestimate!

Its been a while since I used the granny cable but I thought it was much longer than 9hrs from 0-100 on a 24kWh. I thought I remembered a few times having to give it 12hrs. Are you sure of the 9hrs? Its also temp dependent of course.

Its also possible that the cell balancing takes longer on the 30kWh since there are more cells to balance!?

Advertisement