Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacGyver (2016)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And just to really double-down on people's despair for US Network TV, there are also 'modern imaginings' of both Oliver Twist and the Camelot legend in the pipeline, both artfully reimagined as police procedurals of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Just when you think reboots of 80's tv shows cant get any worse ,this manure appears.

Will Higgins be a woman too ,and Rick will be Ricki ,TC will be a woman too.
    They really are trying to ruin as much classic TV as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I heard about it this morning and rolled by eyes. However, John Rogers' involvement gives it some credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

64 posts about 80s nostalgia TV and still no mention of Airwolf my personal favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

What next Tom Berenger as "The Fall Guy" ..............wait that could work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is there even a market for any of this cr'p anymore? in the 80's all these kind of show either had a family viewing audience or a younger teenage audience. neither group is going to watch these and they have little or no nostalgia value.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

^ No, it'll have to be The Fall Gal with Colt's daughter - Sissy Severs or some sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Joeface wrote: »
    did you make that up just to upset people more ,or is that real.

will she have a mustache

As she is female her mustache will be smaller ,perhaps something like Higgins one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,324 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ah she will just get a Brazilian on the upper lip area in the pilot problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

silverharp wrote: »
    is there even a market for any of this cr'p anymore? in the 80's all these kind of show either had a family viewing audience or a younger teenage audience. neither group is going to watch these and they have little or no nostalgia value.

Magnum PI was a classic ,I often watch it on ITV 4 .
    The cast had a great chemistry and the show was years ahead of its time in the voice over narration and it was one of the first tv shows to break the 4th wall.
    Sure a good few episodes were cheesy but it had great characters ,great scenery ,and that car .

Not gonna lie I thought the remake of Macgyver was just stupid but I'm actually disappointed in this Magnum Pi spin off ****e. What made Magnum great was the cast, to me is one of the best cast in any tv show they were characters that you actually liked. The show had it all humour,mystery,action and drama, it went on for eight great seasons and ended on a high they really need to stop rebooting old shows that had its glory days let the classics rest and come up with new ideas its really becoming ridiculous at this stage trying to cash off past glory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There isn't a spoiler tag on the thread so I might as well be safe
    Well that was sh1t, it was clear that they were going to have a big twist with yerone, I wonder how long until they tell us her name is Murdoch? Dalton is a field operative while there's a female director, very PC. All the setups were just that, a setup and FFS a trained bomb disposal expert has a 12/1 shot and he goes for it, I doubt that'd be happening. I doubt I'll watch another episode to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was Brilliant!!!

Though, I can't see them keeping it up for a whole season! Unless they've been given a lot of budget. I'd say a lot will depend on their writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

I'm watching it now... it's really bad.

It's a bad remake of mission impossible. ....and Vinny jones

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought that was a cracker... it started fast and didn't slow down. If episode 2, 3 and 4 have the same energy, it will bode well for a solid season. There is a good chemistry between the cast - there are a lot of similarities with Scorpion.

The MacGyver name is a millstone around its neck though. If they called it MacBoybandHaircut or MacSmugMillennial, there wouldn't be so much negativity against it.

He mentioned his grandfather, I wonder if Richard Dean Anderson could be up for a cameo?
    Bruce McGill could be Dalton's grandfather too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,324 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CSI/Hacker/SwissArmyMan would be a better title than MacGyver because it has nothing to do with the original MacGyver other than the title theme.

It's a typical slick CBS cop show really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

CSI/Hacker/SwissArmyMan would be a better title than MacGyver because it has nothing to do with the original MacGyver other than the title theme.

It's a typical slick CBS cop show really.

No.

You are WRONG.

It's NOTHING but a TEASE of the title theme :(

It gets ya really worked up for it and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Just skimming twitter it sounds like either you loved it or completely hated it.

With so much good stuff on us tv right now not sure where the market long term is bringing back a show from the 80s (albeit a very popular one)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It just all comes across as desperately cynical really, wrapping an otherwise generic procedural team in some blatant 80s nostalgia baiting. Nobody is even trying here: McGuyver could have been reinvented in a creative, subversive way but instead the Network plumped with a template of every other TV drama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

I think it was mainly watched by trump supporters!

I think it was mainly watched by trump supporters!

I... uhm. What? :confused:

pixelburp wrote: »

As in dumb f**ks that dont know much about anything! i.e. Trump Supporters!

As in dumb f**ks that dont know much about anything! i.e. Trump Supporters!

That really doesn't have anything to do with anything, and insinuating anyone who watched McGuyvery 2016 are 'dumb f*cks' isn't particularly friendly. It's just a reboot of an 80s TV show, leave the glib politicking out of it. Indeed, I imagine a great many will tune in purely on the basis of nostalgia and curiousity. hardly a crime.

That really doesn't have anything to do with anything, and insinuating anyone who watched McGuyvery 2016 are 'dumb f*cks' isn't particularly friendly. It's just a reboot of an 80s TV show, leave the glib politicking out of it. Indeed, I imagine a great many will tune in purely on the basis of nostalgia and curiousity. hardly a crime.

Well the humor was really lost on you there.

But it is a pretty piss poor reboot of a tv show and sure time will tell if it holds it own.

Well hopefully Nick from CSI is back on the dole after they axe this travesty, guy knows one role and one role only :D

I watched 10 minutes before I regretted the bandwidth wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Absolute garbage. And this was the re-shot pilot. I don't know how many episodes deep they're into filming now, but it'll be interesting to see what kinda feedback they take on board if any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Best Friday night ratings for CBS in 11 years apparently. Interesting to see what the drop-off will be next week. Thought it was awful myself.

http://tvline.com/2016/09/24/macgyver-ratings-season-1-premiere-cbs/

• Advertisement

kmurph wrote: »
    Best Friday night ratings for CBS in 11 years apparently. Interesting to see what the drop-off will be next week. Thought it was awful myself.

http://tvline.com/2016/09/24/macgyver-ratings-season-1-premiere-cbs/

Drop-off a cliff I'll bet :D Though stranger things have happened.

Advertisement