Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What am I missing ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭innrain

Markcheese wrote: »
    What am I missing ?

Follow the lead

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Markcheese wrote: »
    What am I missing ?

Follow the charging cable, notice they've plugged the type2 - type2 cable into the cable holder on the charging unit, meanwhile the AC43 Type 2 has been hidden behind the offside rear wheel.

This car is only plugged in at one side

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

liamog wrote: »

This car is only plugged in at one side

Definitely one for a Zoom quiz!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My guess is they told the photographer to get a picture of the car charging, when the cable couldn't stretch to side of the car they gave up and staged it to make it look like it was plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

liamog wrote: »
    My guess is they told the photographer to get a picture of the car charging, when the cable couldn't stretch to side of the car they gave up and staged it to make it look like it was plugged in.

This is exactly what happened.

The photo probably needed to be taken from that angle due to light......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This is W at what happened.

The photo probably needed to be taken from that angle due to light......

Also presumably they wanted it staged with the charger and the charging port of the car visible in the same shot.

Still, if that car was parked flipped 180 degrees, I bet even then the built-in charging cables wouldn't stretch the 2 metres or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

To add insult to injury - an eCars charger too :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What speed does a Model S P90 get on the fast AC side of a triple head?

DrPhilG wrote: »

If it's got the dual AC chargers (as most seem to), it should get 22kW max from AC.

Not too shabby if waiting for the CCS/CHAdeMO to become free..

• Advertisement

If it's got the dual AC chargers (as most seem to), it should get 22kW max from AC.

Not too happy if waiting for the CCS/CHAdeMO to become free..

Saw one today that had taken 61kWh, but had been there almost 4 hours.

That charger will allow a simultaneous DC charge but wont share the load until one has slowed down, so chances are that anyone plugging into the DC would get the "charge delayed until power is available" message.

It's up north by the way, hence overstay fees not an issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not too shabby if waiting for the CCS/CHAdeMO to become free..

Don't ask me to explain why but my dual charger takes 23kW, pretty sure I've seen others post the same also, don't know if this is the car overstating or chargepoint understating

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

It's up north by the way, hence overstay fees not an issue.

No AC overstay fees here either, they are just for DC chargers

slave1 wrote: »
    No AC overstay fees here either, they are just for DC chargers

It's the fast AC port of a triple head rapid charger though.

Don't those attract an overstay fee in ROI too? Since it is technically capable of 43kw?

Good one ..
    eCars say
    Note: To ensure a charge point is available for the next user, an overstay fee of €4.60 will apply for charging sessions longer than 45 minutes on ESB fast chargers.

so it's the charger that determines and not whether AC or DC.
    That means no overstay fee on the High Power units

Well now I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭innrain

Good one ..
    eCars say
    Note: To ensure a charge point is available for the next user, an overstay fee of €4.60 will apply for charging sessions longer than 45 minutes on ESB fast chargers.
    so it's the charger that determines and not whether AC or DC.
    That means no overstay fee on the High Power units

Well now I know
    Ecars says:
    7. Overstay Fees
    7.1 In order to ensure efficient use of the Public Charging Network, and to discourage inappropriate use of Fast Charge Points and High Power Charge Points, an overstay fee may be applicable. This is specified in the Price Plan Terms and Conditions, and will be included in the over-all cost to charge.

https://esb.ie/ecars/price-plans/terms-of-service

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The overstay for HPC is listed on the app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Don't ask me to explain why but my dual charger takes 23kW, pretty sure I've seen others post the same also, don't know if this is the car overstating or chargepoint understating

Cars draw amps & the total power is amps x voltage.
    Standard voltage is 230v, +/- 10%.

32a x 230v = 7.4kW
    48a x 230v = 11kW (3 phase, 3x 16a).

Where the grid/supply voltage is high, say 250v,
    32a x 250v = 8kW.
    48a x 250v = 12kW.

A dual charger Model S could pull 96a so exceed 23kW with a high grid voltage.

I've seen our Model 3 reach 12kW (48a x 253v).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same here, my S has only single charger (so max "11kW" 3ph) and I routinely see 12kW at work before covid, as the voltage there was over 250.

Working it out, the car rounds up, so if you have 11.5kW it displays as 12kW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Turns out there's been a company in France making solid state batteries for several years, and they're in use in electric buses

https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/03/actually-we-are-the-pioneer-of-solid-state-battery/

It looks like the cells are solid state but they still need to heat the battery to 50-80C to get it up to operating temp. However no cooling system required, which would remove one of the big costs in an EV

Looks like they're hoping to have a battery operating at 20C in production by 2026, hopefully it works out well for them, and for future EV owners

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    Ecars says:
    7. Overstay Fees
    7.1 In order to ensure efficient use of the Public Charging Network, and to discourage inappropriate use of Fast Charge Points and High Power Charge Points, an overstay fee may be applicable. This is specified in the Price Plan Terms and Conditions, and will be included in the over-all cost to charge.

https://esb.ie/ecars/price-plans/terms-of-service

They need to sort out their website so because they list the prices for Standard, Fast and High Power on this page and at the bottom clearly states

"To ensure a charge point is available for the next user, an overstay fee of €4.60 will apply for charging sessions longer than 45 minutes on ESB fast chargers."

Anyhow, not trying to be an arse, first place I looked on their website states overstay fee for just Fast Chargers, other parts of website say the High Power ones are included too so fair enough, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    Same here, my S has only single charger (so max "11kW" 3ph) and I routinely see 12kW at work before covid, as the voltage there was over 250.

Working it out, the car rounds up, so if you have 11.5kW it displays as 12kW

Yep. All those 22kW AC charge points in Ireland and the Zoes and Teslas with dual charger that can charge at 22kW from them?

That's actually 23kW in most cases. Typically 240V * 3 phases * 32A = 23kW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

This isnt really EV related but based on the eBike popularity there might be some interest...

I have a few small Li-ion packs that are used in a robot mower which I dont need. I'd be willing to send them to someone (no warranty of any kind) if they want to play around with them.

I have 4 packs in total.

2 x 18V/2.3Ah/57.6Wh <-- These are used but still working and I'd estimate down to somewhere around 70% capacity but I have not exactly measured it. Just based on how long they now last in the robot compared to new

I have another 2...

2 x 18V/5.2Ah/93.6Wh. <-- These are brand new but dont work in my mower. I got a refund but got to keep them. I cant say for sure if they are faulty or just not compatible. I have no interest in selling them and potentially dealing with an unhappy purchaser and since they are standing me zero I'm happy to give them away and have someone get value out of them if they work.

They all look like this
    https://batteryempire.co.uk/husqvarna/2027-2663505-green-cell-battery-5ah-18v-580-68-33-01-for-husqvarna-automower-320-330x-430.html

PM me if you want them and we can discuss postage/collection etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fair play to you. They look like a 5S2P setup of 18650 lithium ion cells with a built in BMS. Combine two identical ones of them in series and you should have a decent enough albeit short range battery pack for a 36V eBike!

Opinions on this Leaf please?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-30kw-cold-pk-high-spec/27344485?campaign=6

My mam is driving a 2012 Yaris, and it's a piece of crap, and she wants to go up a few more years at some stage this year, and I'd love to get her into an EV.

99% of her driving would be short hops in and around Dublin city/suburbs.... with possibly the occasional overnight trip to Waterford here and there (most likely stopping in Kilcullen for top ups).

Screen shows 142km range on what looks like a full charge - how does this stack up on a 30kW Leaf?
    Has the cold pack, which is handy.
    Would it be a 3.3kW onboard charger, or 7kW (wouldn't really matter too much anyway).
    Seems within budget...

any advice?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-30kw-cold-pk-high-spec/27344485?campaign=6

My mam is driving a 2012 Yaris, and it's a piece of crap, and she wants to go up a few more years at some stage this year, and I'd love to get her into an EV.

99% of her driving would be short hops in and around Dublin city/suburbs.... with possibly the occasional overnight trip to Waterford here and there (most likely stopping in Kilcullen for top ups).

Screen shows 142km range on what looks like a full charge - how does this stack up on a 30kW Leaf?
    Would it be a 3.3kW onboard charger, or 7kW (wouldn't really matter too much anyway).
    Seems within budget...

any advice?

The GOM can be a bit unreliable measure of battery health in the Leaf, it's based on consumption so if the car has been driven gently a lot it'll be somewhat optimistic

My Leaf24 was claiming 140km until I ran the battery close to empty and it was forced to recalibrate, now it gives a more realistic 125km

142km for a Leaf30 seems a tad low unless it's seen a lot of motorway driving, I'd check if this one has the BMS update which underrated the battery health. Leafspy won't give you the correct SOH if it hasn't been updated AFAIK

Other than that it seem reasonable

Seems within budget...

any advice?

I've a 162 L30, realistic Winter range is around 135'ish (depending on how you drive of course), Summer around 160kms

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Seems within budget...

any advice?

I wouldnt trust that its a 30kWh Leaf until you get proof of it.

Two additional pics from the dealer would help too..

- A pic of the plate on the drivers side pillar when you open the door.... it shows the weight of the car.... that will tell you whether its a 30kWh or not.

- A pic of the dash when it is showing the charge time. You have to press the botton to the right of the steering wheel and cycle through the menus until it shows the charge time.... if it shows a 6.6kW charge time then it has the faster charging.

Other than that it looks like a clean car, reasonable asking price (assuming its an L30) that you negotiate down from.

KCross wrote: »
    I wouldnt trust that its a 30kWh Leaf until you get proof of it.

Two additional pics from the dealer would help too..

- A pic of the plate on the drivers side pillar when you open the door.... it shows the weight of the car.... that will tell you whether its a 30kWh or not.

- A pic of the dash when it is showing the charge time. You have to press the botton to the right of the steering wheel and cycle through the menus until it shows the charge time.... if it shows a 6.6kW charge time then it has the faster charging.

Other than that it looks like a clean car, reasonable asking price (assuming its an L30) that you negotiate down from.

Probably easiest to just ask for the VIN or registration number, could look it up on cartell or something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Bjorn got the covid... But eC4 looks on his agenda in a few weeks.

Advertisement