Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

25 today they said, sunny they said

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

24 in Portlaoise.

When the sun breaks through its scorchio

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Raining heavy in ballyjamesduff Cavan so much for blue skys

• Registered Users Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

sydthebeat wrote: »
    24 in Portlaoise.

When the sun breaks through its scorchio

I'd well believe it , was out in the garden earlier tackling weeds and had to come in !
    Temp in the greenhouse here is 34°, that's with the windows and door open .

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Raining in Offaly, after a dull listless day. Absolute melt of a forecast. Completely wrong for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Dew points are high, so it should feel close, muggy and sweaty whether it's sunny or not.
    I feel Irish people are too focused on sunshine when looking for good weather. Many a sunny day at this time of year will see temperatures stuck in the mid-teens on the east coast with a chilly sea breeze. People will perceive that as heatwave weather, but moan about cloudier but WARMER weather on a day like today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Raining in Offaly, after a dull listless day. Absolute melt of a forecast. Completely wrong for most.

Any forecast i heard or saw clearly said East Leinster and some Southern countues were going to get the hot temperatures and sunshine . Rest of the country cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Met Eireann seem to have got most of this wrong for most of the country.

I remember watching it coming into the end of last week with a tinge of jealousy, as I would be working nights and I thought I was going to miss a great weekend.

It appears I didn't miss much in the end. Ok so it's been mostly dry but they did say Sunday would be a very good day. It's basically weatherless all day here. Warm and cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Dew points are high, so it should feel close, muggy and sweaty whether it's sunny or not.
    I feel Irish people are too focused on sunshine when looking for good weather. Many a sunny day at this time of year will see temperatures stuck in the mid-teens on the east coast with a chilly sea breeze. People will perceive that as heatwave weather, but moan about cloudier but WARMER weather on a day like today.

What’s wrong with sunshine? It’s certainly my definition of good weather!
    Would prefer 19 degrees and full sunshine without clouds, than 24 and overcast. Even in winter sunshine lifts the spirits.

Glorious in Cork City! Really warm but sapphire blue sky and practically cloudless. Breeze in the shade.

Cloudy warm weather is oppressive at a certain point. Mugginess is horrible - it's draining, and quite miserable for people with allergies, asthma etc. And hard to dry clothes in, whereas I did a big pile of laundry yesterday (also warm but more close) and it was dry in no time.

Dry heat can't be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1404135348704321539?s=20

26.0c reached. Down to 22.2c now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

FFVII wrote: »
    Hottest day of the year they said

Lock this forum.

Its a joke

But it exceeded 25° in Dublin today, the only place that is important in the country (joking!). So they said it would get to 25° and it did, plus a bit more. Why does this thread exist then? You're complaining about something not happening that actually did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

subpar wrote: »
    The forecast for a heatwave has been inaccurate all week.

That's the problem when you believe the utter sh1te that tabloids publish.

I think met eireann were spot on with the weather.

Btw, sunny and hot in South Tipperary most of the day.

highdef wrote: »
    But it exceeded 25° in Dublin today, the only place that is important in the country (joking!). So they said it would get to 25° and it did, plus a bit more. Why does this thread exist then? You're complaining about something not happening that actually did happen.
    Maybe there were misleading stories about the whole country getting such weather.

Moral: only look up the weather forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

highdef wrote: »
    Highs of 17, grey most of day. It fupping rained for abit aswell. Midlands

Bullsh1t day!!!

In south America and some countries in Europe, the whole staff of equivalent met eireann there would be fired for the mess of forecasting this week.

Ah jeez forecasters can only go by the indications, which are usually pretty close - how would doing what they always do be grounds for firing? And again, there were warm, sunny and dry conditions in places, so they were correct about them.

Nobody was deliberately being hoodwinked - that's absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Incredible day in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bullsh1t day!!!

In south America and some countries in Europe, the whole staff of equivalent met eireann there would be fired for the mess of forecasting this week.

Ahh boo.

1. Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Darc19 wrote: »

But they weren't, hence this thread.

2. Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

DellyBelly wrote: »
      Fantastic day in Cork again today.. Been sitting out in the back garden all day. June has been great so far

June in cork has been great??

3. Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

Darc19 wrote: »

How were they spot on? They weren’t at all. There was no mention on their tweets about a significant portion of central Ireland and Northern Ireland being cloudy all day and some heavy rain??

This was their 2pm Tweet :-

With 🌡️ pushing 20+°C already, here is the afternoon update:

Warm & dry with sunny spells🌤️ in most areas this afternoon.

Cooler & cloudier☁️ near coasts in SW, W & NW with patches of drizzle & mist.

Highs🌡️ of 19 to 24°C generally, 15 to 19°C near Atlantic coasts

4. Advertisement
    5. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

June in cork has been great??
      Yeah I don't agree with that in fairness!

Up to yesterday, June was terrible (for June - grand if it was October) in Cork! Although it's a big county.

6. Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Could not believe my ears listening to the news on Classic Hits ME were on telling the people on the East Coast not to worry the Sun will come out wtf was that about only in Ireland would we get excited about 25 degrees

7. Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

God it seems we’ve been really lucky in Dublin the last couple of weeks. Another lovely day here but I keep reading people complaining about it being dull and cloudy. We had that for all of May to be fair.

8. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Storm 10 wrote: »
      only in Ireland would we get excited about 25 degrees
      Yes because that is a high temperature in Ireland.

Some weird equating natural occurrences (weather) with something humans can control, on this thread.

9. Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Is it me or have the weather forecasts gotten less accurate?

The amount of times lately I have looked up Met Eireann and it has not been that accurate

10. Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Is it me or have the weather forecasts gotten less accurate?

The amount of times lately I have looked up Met Eireann and it has not been that accurate

I'll leave this to the experts, but it is possible the reduction in atmospheric observations from commercial and freight aircraft have had an impact on forecast accuracy.

11. Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The OP did make a point of slagging this forum so here's the forecast issued on our forum this morning, which if you look back to previous days is fairly consistent with outlooks from several days back ...

TODAY will feature some very warm sunny intervals in parts of the east and south, with the inland southeast looking most likely to hit the highest readings around 24-25 C. Further north and west, more cloud likely, leading to some sporadic light rain later on, but rather warm and humid there, highs 19-22 C. Rainfalls where they occur only about 2 to 5 mm.

I don't see the criticism as being valid at all. If it's a more general critique of other forecasts I never saw, then that should be made more clear in the original post and the thread title.

12. Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Bullsh1t day!!!

Boo fecken hoo

13. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Storm 10 wrote: »
      Could not believe my ears listening to the news on Classic Hits ME were on telling the people on the East Coast not to worry the Sun will come out wtf was that about only in Ireland would we get excited about 25 degrees

25C and above is rare for Ireland. Plenty of summers have gone by without even reaching 25C and when it does it's usually just in a few places. Ireland depends on classic summers such as 1995, 2006, 2013 and 2018 for 25C to be comfortably reached or exceeded through most stations/parts of Ireland. Our geography could not be worse for high temperatures, we do not have the luxury of having France just off our coast to the south like England does, we are surrounded by 1000km+ of oceans on 3 sides of the island so sea breezes and the Atlantic keeps us generally more cloudy and cooler than any other European country with the exception of maybe Iceland.

14. Advertisement
    15. Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

JPup wrote: »
      God it seems we’ve been really lucky in Dublin the last couple of weeks. Another lovely day here but I keep reading people complaining about it being dull and cloudy. We had that for all of May to be fair.

But the sun didn't come out at all in Dublin today?? It was a nice day as it was warm and no wind, but it was definitely dull and cloudy for the most part.

Advertisement