Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2FM: Breakfast with Doireann Garrihy, Donncha O'Callaghan and Carl Mullan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mimicry, like all forms of comedy is very subjective. I've watched her Doireann Project series. Not my cup of tea but if it makes someone else laugh then no harm to it. I'm not the only licence fee payer who matters.
    Despite who her family is Doireann has come up through the proper channels to get this position, AA roadwatch, regional youth station to national station.
    As for Donnacha, well, I made my point that I reckon he's there to be the "face" of the show for sponsors and advertisers. Similar to PJ Gallagher on Nova.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Agree comedy can be hit and miss. There was a good review of her series in The Sunday Times magazine. It was a bad review but it explained her strengths and the weakness of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

Elmo wrote: »
    Agree comedy can be hit and miss. There was a good review of her series in The Sunday Times magazine. It was a bad review but it explained her strengths and the weakness of the series.

I’d imagine all reviews of the doireann project are bad. She was on the late late show a while back and had to say who she was impersonating before each job.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheBMG

NIMAN wrote: »

Haven’t heard the show so can’t comment personally on it but I’ve always suspected that the more journalists dislike your show/station the more successful it will be!

• Advertisement

TheBMG wrote: »
    Haven’t heard the show so can’t comment personally on it but I’ve always suspected that the more journalists dislike your show/station the more successful it will be!

I also think you need to have people talking, very little on social media about the show from what I can see.

... the departure of a host ... for whatever reason ... caused very little talk ... it was as if people didn’t really know who this minor star was ...

Perhaps 2fm has bigger problems????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’d imagine all reviews of the doireann project are bad. She was on the late late show a while back and had to say who she was impersonating before each job.

it's awful and if people think it's good they hate comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

it's awful and if people think it's good they hate comedy

Cormac Battle filling in for Jennifer Z this morning. He’s a breath of fresh air. Why isn’t he on more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

noserider wrote: »
    Cormac Battle filling in for Jennifer Z this morning. He’s a breath of fresh air. Why isn’t he on more?

wow.. a male presenter is filling in for a female presenter...doesn't happen very much these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

noserider wrote: »

Bring back the Battle Axe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

I've listened in a few times recently while on the bus early. I actually enjoyed it more then I thought. Carl Mullen is good and you can tell he is holding it together. Dorrion can try to hard sometimes but she mostly is grand. Theres no need for a 3rd presenter. They were discussing cancel culture this morning and you could tell there was an elephant in the room. For absolutely no reason related at all to the show or any previous editions so wont discuss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

siblers wrote: »
    Bring back the Battle Axe

cormac battle has a 2FM show on fri nights / sat morning 12 midnight for 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭its_steve116

cormac battle has a 2FM show on fri nights / sat morning 12 midnight for 2 hours

...but it's not called "The Battle Axe".

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

What’s with doireanns changing voice, is she on as a radio presenter or as a impressionist

What’s with doireanns changing voice, is she on as a radio presenter or as a impressionist

Both I would assume.

RTÉ will now be able to promote their version of Glow Up on 2fm! which is good considering that Doireann's power lies in the soft impression of unknowns, while not satirizing them. (you really don't want to insult a beloved influencer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I love Carl Mullan so i really want to like this but by god it is so bad

Donnacha sure god bless his is like some poor child been given a slot on the radio via Jim il fix it.

I could get over it if it were just him and Carl but Doireann just ruins it. If she could just remain in her own accent for the show that would be a start, it's the putting on these "impressions" and culchie accent every half sentence. Its just so hard to listen to

Rfrip wrote: »
    Donnacha sure god bless his is like some poor child been given a slot on the radio via Jim il fix it.

Well....annual leave ... and all that ;)

In before anyone else says it. "Already a better broadcaster than Donnacha"

Honestly though, chuffed for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had the misfortune to catch this for the 1st time ever on my commute this morning.

Is it always that bad? It was incredibly amateurish, and so much of it cringe worthy with the presenters fake excitement. Donncha really poor presenter, he simply can't do it.

How muchis RTE paying those 3 to present that muck? And them supposedly in severe financial crisis!

• Advertisement

I was just thinking earlier how 2fm has held on to *all* the new presenters that it hired in the past decade, despite the fact that none of them ever set the jnlrs on fire. When you consider that Today FM quickly dispensed with Louise Duffy, Maureen O'Connell for under performance... * Nicky Byrne left on his own accord to tour with Westlife and their recent breakfast co presenter left for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Jaysus...that's shocking.

Just imagine he thought of that in his head and then he turned on a camera and recorded it in a room in his house and thought it would be funny.

Are you saying it's a disgrace as well? 😏😂

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭maniac2003

Poor auld Donnacha is out of his depth, caught it yesterday I think where he was supposed to be doing lead in to songs a s part of some game, he was so **** at it. Ridiculous thing is he is probably fleecing rte for about 150-200k per year. He's the new craig doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

we changed from Today fm to 2m in the office i work a few weeks back, as we were sick of the musical choices and woeful presenters - this show and zamperelli's are the only let down from the change, the "banter" is woeful and zamperelli's obsession with sex/shifting is overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I defy anyone to listen to this rubbish in the morning and say its:

1) good radio entertainment

2) value for money

Value for money is the advertiser/sponsors problem. Not the license fee payers.

Since Gerry Ryan died, 2fm has been getting 4 to 6 million per year from the licence feem

• Advertisement

Source please?

You want a defence? Fine. Carl Mullan's social media content brought me out of depression and I am delighted to be able to contribute to his ability to raise his new son. It's a broadcasting maintenance contribution, not a forced political donation.

His attitude to life is infectious and if he needs Co presenters with interests that don't align mine in order to follow his passion for broadcasting then so be it. The breakfast show is his dream job, I'm delighted he gets to do it and share the experience with two others. If anyone has a happier alternative, bring it forward. I hate savagery in broadcasting.

Advertisement