Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight lifting advice?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ok, toning is a term used by soccer moms. Sets of 10-12 reps is for muscle growth, and nothing else, if the weight is challenging. If the weight is light at that rep range then it’s called a warmup.
    Sets of 5x5 will promote some muscle growth, but is primarily used for strength training. Theres a book called starting strength, look it up. Of course a clean diets is optimal, but it doesn’t have to be to gain muscle. It only needs to be spot on if you’re a competitive bodybuilder/athlete, as I already said.

I think you're just eager for an argument but your wife or gf always wins so you're on here trying to redeem some self esteem or something. I'm only offering the information I've collected from people with way more experience then me, I'd take their advice over your offerings with added constant little jabs any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think you're just eager for an argument but your wife or gf always wins so you're on here trying to redeem some self esteem or something. I'm only offering the information I've collected from people with way more experience then me, I'd take their advice over your offerings with added constant little jabs any day.

You’re information is incorrect. You should really stop giving advice where you have absolutely no business doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm only offering the information I've collected from people with way more experience then me, I'd take their advice over your offerings with added constant little jabs any day.
    You may have misunderstood their advice, as what you have said isn't correct.
    It could also be possible that the big guy is peddling broscience and doesn't understand the process despite his results.
    Muscle grows in proportion to fat so youre in a good position for muscle growth. You should be doing 5 sets, 5 reps of decent weight for muscle growth, 4 sets of 8 reps for growth/toning, 4 sets of 10 or 12 for toning. Plus your diet has to be spot on, protein, carbs, good fats, get rid of chocolate and crisps, you'll find your body is ****ting out the nutrients you need when you're eating that stuff.g
    Muscle does not grow in proportion to fat. That's just silly. Otherwise there would be no difference between an massive obese person and a massive bodybuilder.

5x5 is very very typical of a strength program. A strength program will also contribute to muscle growth.
    8-12 reps is more aligned with a hypertrophy/muscle growth program, which will also make you stronger. (A typical Dorian Yates program is high rep 10-20 rep per set.)

No junk food is obviously a benefit. But "****ting out the nutrients" is nonsense. The excess macro nutrients in junk is what cause weight gain. If we just sh*t them out, you could eat all the chocolate you like and lose weight.
    As for toning? Pretty common knowledge that 4 sets of the 10 to 12 reps of light weight is great for toning.
    The problem with common knowledge is that misinformation and misunderstanding is also common.
    Toning is a buzzword from glossy magazines. It doesn't actually exist. When people say toning they mean something else (even if they don't realise that they do).

A muscle can get bigger or stronger. You can lose (or gain) fat. But a muscle can't be toned.
    It doesn't relate to any biological process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

5 sets of 5 reps of high weight will promote muscle growth, so I've been told by a pretty big bloke who's been weightlifting for over 20 years. The diet tip came from Dorian Yates, and sure he was a professional but he says even for non professionals a diet minus junk food is a big help in gaining weight, muscle mass. As for toning? Pretty common knowledge that 4 sets of the 10 to 12 reps of light weight is great for toning. Also, this ... Is an elipsis, .........., this means nothing

High reps ...build muscle ....at a high enough weight.

Lower reps with high weight ...strength...

Obv tho ..in order to train as a beginner you might need to build strength in order to really get to a point where you can train safely.

Toning ..is building muscle ...nothing more ..you can't actually tone muscle ....the area might look firmer because there is lower body fat etc.

You can look more toned by losing body fat ...or growing muscle.

Muscle doesn't tone ..it gets bigger ..or you lose general body fat.

No junk food is obviously a benefit. But "****ting out the nutrients" is nonsense. The excess macro nutrients in junk is what cause weight gain. If we just sh*t them out, you could eat all the chocolate you like and lose weight.

Actually your body does spit out nutrients from junk food. Partic stuff that will dehydrate you ..it makes your body lose more potassium. Alchohol will do it.

Sugar will also inhibit your body's ability to take up vit d and vit C....therefore also inhibits your calcium.

Sugar also increases excretion of magnesium and chromium from the kidneys.

Since junk food is full of sugar generally ..yes junk food will literally make your body spit out nutrients long term.

This level of excretion has actually been measured in urine. It is a fact that can't be disputed. Junk food makes your body spit out nutrients.

It doesn't just displace nutrient dense foods in the diet. It makes your body literally pee out more more nutrients to a high level that has been observed in urine tests.

High reps ...build muscle ....at a high enough weight.

Lower reps with high weight ...strength...

Obv tho ..in order to train as a beginner you might need to build strength in order to really get to a point where you can train safely.

Toning ..is building muscle ...nothing more ..you can't actually tone muscle ....the area might look firmer because there is lower body fat etc.

You can look more toned by losing body fat ...or growing muscle.

Muscle doesn't tone ..it gets bigger ..or you lose general body fat.

This is exactly what I said just with poor formatting and weird.

Actually your body does spit out nutrients from junk food. Partic stuff that will dehydrate you ..it makes your body lose more potassium. Alchohol will do it.

Sugar will also inhibit your body's ability to take up vit d and vit C....therefore also inhibits your calcium.

Sugar also increases excretion of magnesium and chromium from the kidneys.
    Restricting absorption of some nutrients is not the same as passing out all nutrients. Words are important. Chocolate doesn't dehydrate you. Neither do crisps. Alcohol wasn't mentioned.

Plus, the above also applies to non junk food. Sugar in fruit or other sources will have the same effect.
    Since junk food is full of sugar generally
    Not really. Most people over eat at meals that are high in fat and carbs (such as take away). They are definitely also junk.
    This level of excretion has actually been measured in urine. It is a fact that can't be disputed. Junk food makes your body spit out nutrients.

It doesn't just displace nutrient dense foods in the diet. It makes your body literally pee out more more nutrients to a high level that has been observed in urine tests.
    There will be traces of nutrients in urine all the time. This is example of bad use of absolute and relative terms.

Junk is not good for you or not a good diet for anything. Nobody said it was.
    But a small amount of chocolate and crisps in your when bulking is not going magically prevent muscle gain. The point was that the claim above are grade A broscience. Micro absorption of vitamen C is not really the level of detail that we are talking about.

If you have evidence to show how any junk in a diet prevents muscle gain, by all means share it.

lus, the above also applies to non junk food. Sugar in fruit or other sources will have the same effect.

No the sugar in juices etc are not the same. Firstly it enters the blood stream at a different rate.

The body reacts to and uses natural sugars differently to refined sugars. Natural sugars are broken down MUCH slower as their structure is different to refined sugars.

Fructose glucose and sucrose are different.

Sucrose is table sugar ....it has a diff chemical structure to fructose and glucose . Fructose is in VEGGIES and FRUITS. Glucose is known as grape sugar. Its also in corn.

Out of the three FRUCTOSE has a MUCH LESS measured effect on your blood sugar. But it actually has the sweetest taste :)

Not all sugars are equal.

Sucrose is (C12H22O11). Glucose is (C6H12O6 . Fructose hast the same molecular structure as glucose (C6H12O6) BUT but glucose has a six member ring and fructose has a five member ring structure. Sucrose is ONE fructose and one glucose molecule. The body breaks these down.

There is also alpha D glucose and beta D glucose.

So as you can see their chemical structures are diff. The effect they have on the body is diff.

Because fructose is metabolized in the liver to glucose, fructose has the lowest glycemic index (GI = 19) of all the natural sugars.Whereas sucrose has a GI of 55.

And the difference between natural fructose and the high fructose corn syrup that is extracted is that actually high fructose corn syrup is not all fructose its about 50% glucose too. Which means its ACTUALLY like sucrose ..but just ALREADY broken down for you. That is why its so much worse than even table sugar. They just call it fructose but its glucose and fructose already broken down. And remember sucrose has a GI of 55 ..this is not even taken into account that most fructose foods like fruit have fibre etc.

https://www.healthdesigns.net/natural-vs-refined-sugar/

Its not simply just the fibre in fruits that makes the sugar better for you than table sugar. Its a lot more.
    As i said ..refined sugar increases excretion of certain nutrients from the kidneys. Whereas fructose etc for healthy people is different.

Obv people with diabetes will still need to be avoid juices certain fruits etc. And everything in moderation ...5 apples a day might be a bit much.
    Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental showed that consuming a diet consisting of 35% simple refined sugars increased natural excretion rates by 300%!

Mellor wrote: »

Restricting absorption of some nutrients is not the same as passing out all nutrients.
    There will be traces of nutrients in urine all the time. This is example of bad use of absolute and relative terms.

No ...this is a measured increase in traces of nutrients in urine under laboratory conditions with an increase in sugar intake.

If you don't believe ME ask your GP or any dietician.

Sugar also contributes to cystitus.

Mellor what you are saying is not logical?

You say sugar is bad for you .....but you don't seem to understand the why it is bad for you.

There will be sugar also in your local takeaway.

Yes too much sat fats ...etc not good for you. No argument here.
    Chocolate doesn't dehydrate you. Neither do crisps

No but people with pancreatitis ..can't eat crisps for example.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4975866/

Also on sugar and muscle. I can't prove this ..as its only a theory ...but there is a theory that REFINED sugar inhibits protein synthesis. Therefore reducing lean mass. It is just a theory though. Its thought to be to do with the effects refined sugars have on insulin.

So no.

Natural sugars are not the same ..and will not make your body excrete nutrients through the kidneys in the same way refined sugars will.

Natural sugars are chemically different. The body uses them different absorbs them differently and reacts to them differently.

That is besides them coming from nutrient rich and usually fibrous foods.

In writing this ..i am reminded of someone who was a natural sugar phobe not believing sucrose and fructose were totally diff ...having just told him that brocoli had fructose ..he responded that he knew but it was mostly in the stalks ..so he just cut them off!

No the sugar in juices etc are not the same. Firstly it enters the blood stream at a different rate.

The body reacts to and uses natural sugars differently to refined sugars. Natural sugars are broken down MUCH slower as their structure is different to refined sugars.

Fructose glucose and sucrose are different.

Sucrose is table sugar ....it has a diff chemical structure to fructose and glucose . Fructose is in VEGGIES and FRUITS. Glucose is known as grape sugar. Its also in corn.

Out of the three FRUCTOSE has a MUCH LESS measured effect on your blood sugar. But it actually has the sweetest taste :)

Not all sugars are equal.

What has fructose vrs sucrose have to do with anything in the tread to date.
    None of it is relevant.

Sucrose is also found in sugar cane - a natural sugar.
    It is found in bags of sugar - refined.

Fructose is in fruit - natural.
    It is also in Coca cola and soft drinks - refined.

So as you can see their chemical structures are diff. The effect they have on the body is diff.
    Nobody said different sugars don't exist. :confused:

You sad sugar blocks vitamen C. None of the above suggest natural sugar won't.
    Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental showed that consuming a diet consisting of 35% simple refined sugars increased natural excretion rates by 300%!

Exception rates of what. You are just posting random words without a coherent point. Nothing you have said appears relevant.

No ...this is a measured increase in traces of nutrients in urine under laboratory conditions with an increase in sugar intake.
    Right, trace nutrients. Not the nutrition needs for muscle growth - macro nutrients.

You are proving my point tbh.
    Sugar also contributes to cystitus.

Cool. Tobacco leads to lung cancer.
    Why are we posting irrelevant facts?
    No but people with pancreatitis ..can't eat crisps for example.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4975866/

Sucks for them I guess.
    Mellor what you are saying is not logical?

You say sugar is bad for you .....but you don't seem to understand the why it is bad for you.
    Point out my flawed logic please.
    Also point to where I said sugar is bad for you?
    Also on sugar and muscle. I can't prove this .

I know you can't. Because it's not true.
    Anyone that thinks a small amount of sugar, (or chocolate) will prevent muscle growth shouldn't be giving advice on training/diet. The post above was nonsense, no idea why you are defending it.

So no.
    Natural sugars are chemically different.
    No they aren't.

Natural sucose and refined sucrose are chemically the same molecule, for example. Same for fructose and glucose.

Refined refers to extracting and isolating the sugar from the fibre, vitamins etc in the natural form.
    Again, not relevant but misinformation isn't good.

Honestly, your reading comprehension appears pretty poor. As nothing you have said it relevant, and you posts lack any structure or coherent point.
    You just seem to decide you've found an opening and start pasting away anything vague similar.
    So back and read the broscience post above and try to figure out which part of your post backs up what he said.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Honestly, your reading comprehension appears pretty poor.

I am just going to say you are 100% wrong ..but since you have stooped to this level and seem yet ONCE again mellor to want to derail this thread ..that you are not really worth responding to

Please don't respond to my posts again you are muted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cill94 wrote: »
    Yikes

Brick-Killed-A-Guy-I-Saw-That-Funny-Will-Ferrell-Meme-Gif.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I am just going to say you are 100% wrong ..but since you have stooped to this level and seem yet ONCE again mellor to want to derail this thread ..that you are not really worth responding to

Please don't respond to my posts again you are muted.

Put down your sword. He has you licked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gone way beyond useful advice by now anyway

Gone way beyond useful advice by now anyway

Absolutely. How anyone could think the molecular structure of fructose vrs glucose is relevant to a poster looking for basic weight lifting advice.

Give me the planks brigade anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 misstyc

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    I'm M/42. Been working out this cycle for a little over a year. Got a fitbit a few months ago. Flagged the fact that I was eating way too little protein to add mass. Which is one of my goals.

I do weight training for 50 mins, 4/5 days a week during lockdown. Started upping the tempo. Now squeeze the same session into 35mins.

Lift a kettlebell. Super set and compound sets. I have 27% muscle and 24% fat. I also do cardio. Running and cycling 4/5 days a week. Very healthy diet.

Question is this. Should I be cutting or bulking to add mass? Have healthy appetite. Boxed a bit when I was younger. Would like to do some more. So cardio and fitness is a must.

Can anyone recommend an email newsletter or online resource containing tip, tricks and motivational content suited to my fitness plan?

Greg Doucette on youtube is a good resource...a lot of his stuff is for the lols but he gives some of the best advice on this topic I've seen aimed at people newish to lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

misstyc wrote: »
    Greg Doucette on youtube is a good resource...a lot of his stuff is for the lols but he gives some of the best advice on this topic I've seen aimed at people newish to lifting.

Everything I've seen and heard about him suggests otherwise and he's just doing his youtube to get people to pay his extortionate rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm looking forward to getting back to my gym, I expect many more casual gym users will not be back until the new year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

misstyc wrote: »

He is impossible to listen to though. That voice and all of the unnecessary shouting...

Advertisement